The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 4

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• [maven] 20 Feb 2008 13:22:23 5,187 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Translated from GameInformer excerpts on GameFront:
    - 4 colonial marines enter U.S.S. Sulaco no single central character
    - each has 4 weapons: main gun (pulse rifle, smartgun), secondary weapon (shotgun, motion tracker, flame thrower), grenades, pistol
    - story mode switches between the 4 characters (so that you get to use all the seconady weapons etc.)
    - they are trying to depict soldiers authentically (no dropping your own guns, picking up random ones)
    - every character has a special item (hacking doors, mini-welder, first aid equipment)
    - the players gives orders to their team members (movement, attack) as well as context sensitive ones (hacking or welding doors)
    - strong horror elements from the films (aliens use air vents)
    - offline 2-player coop campaign, online 4-player coop
    - more multi-player modes are planned
    - developers want to create situations where players have to create barricades to survive waves of aliens
    - gearbox wants to give the soliders depth; they shouldn't just be cannon fodder
    - Game contains more than the Sulaco. Humans are enemies too (biological alien weapons?)
    - there may be some stuff about the "space jockey" species
    - among your team members some may have to survive, unless they are "killed" by the script
    - close quarters combat (e.g. the queen from Aliens in the hangar of the ship) is planned as well
    - there are different alien types (scout, warrior, ...)
  • smoothpete 20 Feb 2008 13:31:41 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice, like the sound of it. How reliable is that?
  • [maven] 20 Feb 2008 13:42:21 5,187 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seemingly, it's from a preview in the new issue of GameInformer. Dunno, really... :)
  • agparrot 20 Feb 2008 13:45:05 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    - they are trying to depict soldiers authentically (no dropping your own guns, picking up random ones)

That is all well and good, so long as they don't stick doggedly with an empty weapon while there are 'random' ones full of ammo nearby.
  • Tiger_Walts 20 Feb 2008 13:46:57 16,631 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of that sounds like the stuff in Star Wars : Republic Commando which is no bad thing. 4 player online co-op is just the ticket, too.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Scurrminator 20 Feb 2008 14:06:34 8,468 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    4 player co-op = SOLD

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Blerk Moderator 20 Feb 2008 16:10:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mag scans.
  • corstick 20 Feb 2008 18:33:13 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Four friends versus hoards of Aliens should be all kinds of fun.
  • Tabasco 20 Feb 2008 18:37:35 5,780 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Mag scans.
    Oh look at that scanner! \o/
  • Tabasco 21 Feb 2008 21:28:33 5,780 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    'It will be dark, brooding, and claustrophobic, as you creep through abandoned spaceship Sulaco and wait for aliens to jump out on you and stab tails at your face.'

Taken from the front page.

Sounds like the game takes place were you're part of the rescue party looking for the original squad from Aliens?
  • StixxUK 21 Feb 2008 21:43:52 7,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would like the guys who made the Chronicles of Riddick to do an Alien game.

I think it could be rather good, as a fairly short single player "rollercoaster" kind of game.
  • Deleted user 21 February 2008 21:47:09
    Looks very nice, indeed. Especially the second screenie.

One to look forward to then.
  • pjmaybe 22 Feb 2008 13:13:43 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least you can crouch! Someone on the design team at least knew what I was on about :)

Looks all sorts of awesome and APC / Drop Ship in there too. YAY!
  • Kangoo 6 Mar 2008 14:00:01 1,023 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First proper screens up at CVG

Looking all kinds of awesome

PSN: Adwab2

• Kangoo 6 Mar 2008 14:00:16 1,023 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First proper screens up at CVG

Looking all kinds of awesome

PSN: Adwab2

• smoothpete 6 Mar 2008 14:07:31 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah. Looks good!
  • smoothpete 6 Mar 2008 14:18:15 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks pretty dark to me. 360, PS3 and PC I think
  • Megapocalypse 6 Mar 2008 14:19:51 5,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Love the one guy holding the motion tracker, whilst everyone else takes up possition. That will be awesome over Live.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2008 15:23:18
    TURRETS SYNDROME.

/fistair
  • HarryPalmer 6 Mar 2008 15:25:50 3,585 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    never noticed how much a face huggers mouth part looks like a ladies sex part before
  • Deleted user 6 March 2008 15:27:12
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    never noticed how much a face huggers mouth part looks like a ladies sex part before

/facepalms

You ever notice that basically the entire series is a woman running down an endless series of tunnels chased by what is essentially a big, black cock birthed from a man fucked by a vagina? Then "castrating" it?
  • HarryPalmer 6 Mar 2008 15:31:11 3,585 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No!

Ha! I'll watch them again tonight with the lube handy.
  • oceanmotion 6 Mar 2008 15:31:20 16,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

/facepalms

You ever notice that basically the entire series is a woman running down an endless series of tunnels chased by what is essentially a big, black cock birthed from a man fucked by a vagina? Then "castrating" it?

Apparently the guy that designed the models for the movies loves to base them on sex stuff.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Mar 2008 15:32:05 17,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    some of the scaling on the marines looks wrong, it's like the developers looked at the guns in ripleys hands and assumed they should be huge for everyone, even beyond the the marines look too small compared to their enviornment
  • El_MUERkO 6 Mar 2008 15:33:23 17,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

/facepalms

Apparently the guy that designed the models for the movies loves to base them on sex stuff.

http://www.hrgiger.com/
  • smoothpete 6 Mar 2008 15:33:30 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

/facepalms

HR Giger, yes he very much did. Let me see if I can find a good link to his stuff
    edit - heh, muerko too quick on the draw there :)
  • HarryPalmer 6 Mar 2008 15:35:13 3,585 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Giger seriously loves cocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Frankenchrist.jpeg

nsfw
  • Megapocalypse 6 Mar 2008 15:41:45 5,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'Good' example of Giger's work. Posibly NSFW.
  • smoothpete 6 Mar 2008 15:46:05 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've always wanted to go to one of the bars he's done or the museum, certainly on my list of things to do
  • FWB 1 May 2008 11:55:23 45,613 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

/facepalms

I did a uni course on film and one of my modules was on feminism on film. Ridley is a feminist icon and there is a decent amount of academic literature covering various aspects of this, part of which reflects on the phallic nature of the aliens and the gender-interplay between Ridley, the marines, the aliens and the sex-organ-face-huggers.

I love non-vocational academics. You can write anything you want and get an A.
  • Page

of 58 First / Last