The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 25

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• byron_hinson 9 Feb 2013 11:31:00 1,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First level - looks awful framerate wise on the 360 - the tearing is dire.
  • Gruff 9 Feb 2013 11:35:18 2,839 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just dropped through my letterbox from 2game.com

I have to go out for the rest of the day.

Arses!

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• killersrquiet 9 Feb 2013 11:40:51 1,831 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Unlucky gruff. Give us your thoughts when you have a chance to play it.

User thoughts are mainly negative check out the avpgalaxy forum and official ACM forum too

I'm sitting on the fence until the multi player has been reported on. That won't happen until launch date as its locked down right now
  • byron_hinson 9 Feb 2013 11:44:12 1,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interested in the PC version, at least it'll not have the awful tearing the console versions have and maybe some better textures seeing they look low-res in the Xbox video. Still won't make me buy it if everyone is saying its shite!
  • killersrquiet 9 Feb 2013 12:14:05 1,831 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    Interested in the PC version, at least it'll not have the awful tearing the console versions have and maybe some better textures seeing they look low-res in the Xbox video. Still won't make me buy it if everyone is saying its shite!
    Unfortunately it won't be PC quality. The ign stream was Xbox and PC. Its running on dx9 as well.

It wont be pretty on any platform

Edited by killersrquiet at 12:14:26 09-02-2013
  • byron_hinson 9 Feb 2013 12:19:15 1,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Won't bother then - it'll be in the sales pretty quick
  • itinkuravinalaff 9 Feb 2013 12:20:08 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    These review embargo are a good sign the game in question is not as good as the publisher hoped and not putting a review out until released is to maximize sales.
  • killersrquiet 9 Feb 2013 12:49:32 1,831 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @
    itinkuravinalaff
    Gearbox and Sega have been fairly quiet of late. All the pre hype and media have stopped in the run up to release.

Kinda reminds me of medal of honour warfighter....... We all know how crap that game was:-(

Edited by killersrquiet at 12:50:05 09-02-2013
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Feb 2013 12:55:45 6,654 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Warfighter was no worse than cod IMO. Just a bit generic.
  • lavalant 9 Feb 2013 13:29:19 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been watching this guys play through
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKGaOTYGUo (i thought his voice was in game for the first 5 minutes)

Looks not too bad I'm guessing a 7/10, it's a game for Aliens fans, could become repetative, unlike say Aliens Vs Predator which mixed things up, multiplayer could be fun, though I wish they'd just copied the left for dead formula.

Maybe Gearbox can release an Aliens type DLC for Borderlands 2.
  • Adamical 9 Feb 2013 13:45:01 313 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Man, it looks so ordinary. Just another shooter with an Alien skin.

As someone said in the Youtube comments, Gearbox should've focused more on the creepy horror than the action.
  • Derblington 9 Feb 2013 13:57:03 21,259 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My flat mate is buying it so I can play it for free. That suits me, I wouldn't bother otherwise.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 14:06:06
    lavalant wrote:
    Just been watching this guys play through
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKGaOTYGUo (i thought his voice was in game for the first 5 minutes)
    The best bit of this guy's video is in episode 2 where the objective is to get in to the Powerloader to escape a room and he spends the next three minutes trying to figure out what he has to do as he has no idea what it is and it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM.
  • simplesimonsays 9 Feb 2013 14:19:35 6 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been playing for the last hour and it is decidedly average, graphics are not what we have come to expect with recent releases and mission objectives tend to revolve around generic get from A-B quests with the occasional 'kill some aliens while AI opens a door' type affairs.

The game is quite atmospheric (sound design particularly adds to the whole experience) and provided a few jumps, but mainly because every time an alien appeared my health would vanish before I could even get my sights on it (I tend to now favour hiding in a corner whilst AI team mates take them all out).

Still as a fan of the Alien films, I will stick with it and hopefully the story will engage me enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

Will update on my opinions once I've played a bit more but can see review scores hovering around the 6 or 7 region based on what I've played so far.
  • muttler 9 Feb 2013 14:30:17 3,937 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    First level - looks awful framerate wise on the 360 - the tearing is dire.
    This is a really good quality HD vid of the 360 version.  Nice set design as I thought, but fuck sake are the graphics shit.  Low res, choppy frame rate AND some of the worst tearing I've ever seen.  Retarded AI, and the xenos don't react much to being shot.

But it's Aliens, and I'm still hyped.  I think the plot seems alright, the hoorah space marine aspect seems ok, and is to be expected, dialogue seemed ok, not as bad as people on Neogaf were saying.  I still think the multiplayer will be great and will raise it a point or two.
  • WoodenSpoon 9 Feb 2013 14:32:08 12,275 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Look rather average... tbh I wish people would stop trying to make games out of this franchise. It's been a quarter of a century, if there was going to be a really amazing one it'd have happened by now.
  • ecureuil 9 Feb 2013 14:35:26 76,465 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's basically the bastard offspring of Borderlands and Alien Trilogy.
  • Pumpatron 9 Feb 2013 14:38:36 371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really want this to be good. Hopefully it will be.

But unfortunately it doesn't look great from what I've seen. The aliens don't seem to be very well realised, the way they move and look just doesn't seem all that great, their death animations look naff to.

It also looks like you'll spend the majority of the time following a stupid AI around. I'm not fond of that in games, it doesn't allow for much player freedom when you're just being led by the hand through each level.

I'd much prefer an aliens game where you spend the majority of the time alone, I don't want some dude-bro-space-meathead accompanying me everywhere. Well, unless it's Spunkmeyer.

Edited by Pumpatron at 14:40:47 09-02-2013
  • Red_Dwarf_Posse 9 Feb 2013 14:39:10 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alarm bells with no online reviews 3 days before launch. Hoping it is good and being a aliens universe fan will add some points for me. Glad I cancelled the Collectors Edition and went for Extermination.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 14:41:43
    I'm going to replay AvP I think instead. I enjoyed that despite its wonkiness. I'll no doubt play this at some point just to quell my curiosity.
  • ecureuil 9 Feb 2013 14:43:32 76,465 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can play it next month when it's down to £10.
  • Red_Dwarf_Posse 9 Feb 2013 14:46:11 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At least I know I wont need to fork out £19.99 for season pass.
  • kickerconspiracy 9 Feb 2013 15:00:35 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Look rather average... tbh I wish people would stop trying to make games out of this franchise. It's been a quarter of a century, if there was going to be a really amazing one it'd have happened by now.
    I remember enjoying this quite a bit at the time:

• onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2013 15:41:08 2,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I remember enjoying this quite a bit at the time:

yeah that game was great
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 16:04:54
    What pisses me off is that there is an amazing game to be made out of Alirens or AvP. I think the franchise has just been trodden in the mud for so long that we'll never see it.

Everytime there's something new in the universe I get my hopes up. Prometheus toyed with my emotions, AvP 2010 before that showed promise but was too janky and needed time and this reeks of contractual obligation.

Someone kickstart the alien game I want. A survival horror in the Alien universe. That premise has so much promise.
  • killersrquiet 9 Feb 2013 16:19:43 1,831 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    simplesimonsays wrote:
    I've been playing for the last hour and it is decidedly average, graphics are not what we have come to expect with recent releases and mission objectives tend to revolve around generic get from A-B quests with the occasional 'kill some aliens while AI opens a door' type affairs.

The game is quite atmospheric (sound design particularly adds to the whole experience) and provided a few jumps, but mainly because every time an alien appeared my health would vanish before I could even get my sights on it (I tend to now favour hiding in a corner whilst AI team mates take them all out).

Still as a fan of the Alien films, I will stick with it and hopefully the story will engage me enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

Will update on my opinions once I've played a bit more but can see review scores hovering around the 6 or 7 region based on what I've played so far.
    Lmao. I know your getting a glitch but its just the thought of you running and hiding from the aliens......Funny as hell

Judging from the crap ai you must spend quite a while in hiding.

I saw a gameplay video on YouTube. The marines were fighting humans (what's that about?). The player got into a firefight with two soldiers. One returned fire while the other stood still until he was shot a few times. I would expect a day one patch

Edited by killersrquiet at 16:20:16 09-02-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Feb 2013 16:24:24 1,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the review comments are going to be fun!
  • Khanivor 9 Feb 2013 16:24:53 40,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Start off with a platoon of marines going into Hadley's Hope. Spend the first 30 minutes exploring the empty station then come across the aliens, which waste a third of the squad and cut the player off, say forcing him to run through vents and drop into lower levels. Then the game turns into a survival horror, the only contact with squadmates begin intermittent radio transmissions of them searching for you and getting picked off one by one by aliens. Introduce some new, unknown agent of terror. Have the player eventually meet up again with the platoon. So on and so forth.

A full on FPS is not the way to go with this license.

Really good graphics are also kinda required.
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 16:47:25 2,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The game is based on Aliens not Alien for fucks sake, I really don't get the complains about it not being a survival horror game. Watch Aliens again, it's about a bunch of marines who get overwhelmed by sheer weight of numbers. It features a lot of marines shooting Aliens! A lot of aliens exploding by sentry turrets, lots of aliens getting blown up by grenades!

The game does look a bit poo but please don't complain because it isn't Alien.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last