• Page

of 58 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 February 2013 21:28:54
    COD quality I would be happy
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Feb 2013 21:32:53 5,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    It's starting to sound like a servicable FPS game with Aliens fanservice in it. Don't expect Far Cry and it's fine is what i'm reading.
    Servicable......5 years ago.

Exploding barrels. Oh yes.
    Linear corridors.
    Non existent AI.

And you know everybody's bleating on about how the Pulse Rifle sounds soooo accurate ? You better get used to it judging by the near constant firing without hitting owt by the AI buddies.

Guy has gone all DOOM by Pt4, running straight at enemies and point-blank shotgunning them. Remarkably effective.

Yet another missed opportunity.

And relating to story/general spoilers:
    *Seeing as WY have a controlling interest in the CMC, why do they have PMC blokes ? Purely to provide enemies for these awful attempts at shooters ? :D At least Rebellion made them synthetics......*
  • Progguitarist 8 Feb 2013 21:38:27 10,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact that the story is taking place in the same universe is pathetic enough in itself.
  • Dr.Haggard 8 Feb 2013 21:52:02 4,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's disappointing to see more evidence that Gearbox can't do anything well except Borderlands, but they do Borderlands so bloody well it's hard to hate them. It just really sucks that their latest fumble had to be with the Aliens license though.

Randy actually did the most watchable DICE talk I've seen so far this year, and they've mostly been excellent. He's a charismatic guy and I've always liked him, they just seem determined now to follow every brilliant, well deserved success with a massive own goal and another PR mess to clean up.
  • -cerberus- 8 Feb 2013 21:52:51 3,622 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm calling it, the Eurogamer review will give it 5 or 6.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• b0rk 8 Feb 2013 21:58:04 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm gonna say a 4/10 :D
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 21:59:17
    fuckinell. 7
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 22:01:03
    @-cerberus- you still buying it dude?
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 22:02:57
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    It's disappointing to see more evidence that Gearbox can't do anything well except Borderlands, but they do Borderlands so bloody well it's hard to hate them. It just really sucks that their latest fumble had to be with the Aliens license though.

Randy actually did the most watchable DICE talk I've seen so far this year, and they've mostly been excellent. He's a charismatic guy and I've always liked him, they just seem determined now to follow every brilliant, well deserved success with a massive own goal and another PR mess to clean up.
    Bob is also excellent.

Aliens and duke were a mess production wise and were bound to fail.
  • -cerberus- 8 Feb 2013 22:04:30 3,622 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pepsipop Maybe used in 2014...

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• muttler 8 Feb 2013 22:46:54 4,286 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sigh.  I was hoping it was going to be great.  Oh well, an average shooter in the Aliens universe is fine by me.  And I refuse to believe the multiplayer is crap, everything I've seen (and played) was so cool. But it looks like they are going to fully dlc rape the mp community, what with horde mode coming in march for and extra $15, and I think I read 3 or 4 map packs over this year.

Can anyone remember how much did Sega pay for the Aliens licence, I think it was in the tens of millions, and does anyone know if that was just for the (originally planned) 3 games or is it for a certain amount of time or what?
  • Gruff 8 Feb 2013 22:57:30 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dunno how everybody has already reached these negative conclusions so quickly.

How did you all get copies, you have played it...right.

I remain open minded, I will play it, THEN REALLY TRASH IT !

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• RedSparrows 8 Feb 2013 23:13:35 24,235 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't think Borderlands was amazing either.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 23:40:11
    See. I don't think it looks that bad? Not amazing but not terrible. Either. I reckon we're looking at a 7, which is still a buy in my books, although I'll wait a month or so. Only thing is it looks like your ai marine partners are shite and just get in your way.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 23:43:40
    That's the spirit.
  • wogsy81 9 Feb 2013 00:25:41 759 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't really care what score it gets to be honest.
    Just spending time in the Aliens universe and using the motion scanner and pulse rifle is worth a couple of extra points to me.

I cant wait.
  • thelzdking 9 Feb 2013 00:58:47 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How hard can it be to make a good Alien game? It's a fucking open goal for Christ's sake.
  • kickerconspiracy 9 Feb 2013 01:01:32 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows

Agreed.

Totally overrated shite.
  • Triggerhappytel 9 Feb 2013 01:34:10 2,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, no reviews for this available yet? Isn't it released in about three days? That's a bit worrying. Anyone know when the embargo lifts?
  • b0rk 9 Feb 2013 01:40:05 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you really need a review for this? Just look at the footage, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it's complete and utter bilge.
  • RedSparrows 9 Feb 2013 01:41:30 24,235 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    @RedSparrows

Agreed.

Totally overrated shite.
    I don't think it's shite, though.
  • Triggerhappytel 9 Feb 2013 02:22:29 2,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Do you really need a review for this? Just look at the footage, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it's complete and utter bilge.
    I don't think it's going you be that bad. But it might end up being 'just' average, which in turn means the internets will declare it the worst thing ever. And it'll still sell about 3 million units to 25 to 40 year olds who just want to shout "Game over man, game over" et al to the TV screen.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 02:37:11
    Borderlands 2 is a fairly big improvement over 1. I was hoping their form would carry into this.

Alas.
  • Progguitarist 9 Feb 2013 02:38:34 10,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    H.R. Giger must be puking blood.
  • ecu 9 Feb 2013 03:10:46 77,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problem with this game is that it's just Borderlands in space. Didn't nobody else notice that? You could take Borderlands, remove all the crazy abilities and weapons and add in guns from Aliens, set it on a space ship, reskin a few enemies and you'd not be far off from this Aliens game. It's no surprise, most developers have a particular style when they work off the same game engine across different IP's. Gearbox uses a custom UE3 for all their games.

It looks to be very arcadey at times, when you'd expect something slower and grittier. I think Gearbox were probably the wrong studio to take this game on.
  • Jmek 9 Feb 2013 08:14:43 1,357 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, has anybody here actually played it yet?
  • Gambit1977 9 Feb 2013 08:17:14 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearbox who made Brothers in Arms - the right studio for this.

gearbox who made Borderlands - the wrong studio for this.

Gearbox that believed DNF was ready to release - most likely the studio that made this.

Originally it looked like a reskinned BiA. And that suited it. Up the pace a little, whilst adding more claustrophobic environments...what could go wrong...right?

Edited by Gambit1977 at 08:18:49 09-02-2013
  • muttler 9 Feb 2013 08:22:37 4,286 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There will be 4 dlc packs, the last one out by august this year.  Season pass will be 2400msp (a saving of 40% if buying separate which would be 4000 msp).  Dlc will add new campaign missions, as well as new multiplayer maps and modes, like the Bug Hunt horde mode available in march.

Edit- Bug Hunt march pack comes with 3 new maps.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/02/08/aliens-colonial-marines-dlc-and-season-pass-bundle/

Edited by muttler at 08:25:44 09-02-2013
  • damagedinc 9 Feb 2013 09:19:44 963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    watching the play through of the first mission on hardest setting i dont think it looks half as bad as everyone makes out.

end of the day half the FPS that have come out in last 24 months have all been pretty dull. the genre has gone as far as it can this generation.

i think this will be no worse or better than any of those offerings. think this will be am average game saved by the licence.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 09:57:50
    Having just watched the NEOgaf stream and a video someone posted on here made me go all 32bit JRPG.

I'm sorry, it just looks awful and totally devoid of any personality of it's own hoping that nostalgia will save the day. It's not what people expected (or probably wanted) from an Aliens game Yes, I know they're WY mercs but what was going through my mind was '*giggling maniacally* YAY! SPACE PIRATES!.

It's stuck in a schlocky 'let's see how many gaming archetype enemies we can get in there' design without actually playing to the strengths of the source material. As a game, it doesn't and can't have the luxury of time in building a story and suspense and just throws you in at the deep end knowing wholly what to expect which is, let's be honest, missing the point because there is no suspense, no imminent dread.

They could have stuck the Borderlands 2 enemies in there and made it DLC and apart from the motion scanner and pulse rifle no one would have cared but just wondered why the drop in quality.

Not good enough by a long chalk.

Edited by HurbleBurble at 09:58:46 09-02-2013
  • Page

of 58 First / Last