of 57 First / Last

• pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 16:39:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ditto :)

pleasedontfuckitupsegagearbox!

• Deleted user 18 February 2008 16:40:08
    pjmaybe wrote:
    YES it had crouching. NO it didn't have the ability to crouch behind a surface and snap the gun out to loose off a few shots.
    It had crouching, strafing and leaning. I don't really see what you could do beyond that (apart from a 'lying down' option maybe - but that's hardly an Aliens type feature).

And I certainly don't see the logic behind 'no clunky cover system = mindless shooter', especially when what you've described basically is Time Crisis! :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Feb 2008 16:46:39 35,708 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neither do I. While I enjoyed both R6 and Gears of War, the novelty of an explicit "cover system" wore off rather quickly. It's much more natural if you can just, well, go behind cover somehwere with your normal movement options. Worked extremely well in Crysis, for example, where you could just take cover behind trees, rocks, huts, cars, whatever.

And there have been a gazillion tactical games without a cover system. I doubt anyone would call Operation Flashpoint a mindless shooter.
  • smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 16:47:31 31,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And UncleLou is a lawyer and therefore correct :p
  • phAge 18 Feb 2008 16:51:51 24,386 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I doubt anyone would call Operation Flashpoint a mindless shooter.
    Or any of the R6's before Vegas, for that matter. Or Halo on Legendary.

Game, set and match to the nay-sayers. :)
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 18:41:51 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Immersion.

That's my final say on the matter. For this to work, and work well, and REALLY pull the player in, the characters in the game have to be realistic, and do what real characters would do in a similar situation.

Human instinct under attack is NOT to stand there with your gun held out slightly hidden behind a wall but with 3/4 of your body sticking out just so you can see where your gun is pointing.

So what you three are saying is "If Aliens: Colonial Marines has a cover system, I'm just not buying it"

Y'know, I don't believe ya :)
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 18:46:33 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just realised what I'm doing. I'm logging in at 6.45 to EG to argue a point that is pointless.

Fucking hell. Life to table one, stat.

• phAge 18 Feb 2008 18:51:12 24,386 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Human instinct under attack is NOT to stand there with your gun held out slightly hidden behind a wall but with 3/4 of your body sticking out just so you can see where your gun is pointing.
    But then again human instinct will get you killed when up against aliens, as they will cover the ground between you and them in no time flat, and won't care at all that you've gone behind a low wall/corner. When fighting aliens, your only chance is to either run away, or kill it ASAP. Pretending to be Ding Chavez will only make you waste valuable time that would be better spent trying to kill the onrushing alien(s). Unless, as I've already said, you tone down the lethality of the aliens, to make them work with a cover-system - which would suck donkey-balls.

I'm at work, btw. :)
  • Derblington 18 Feb 2008 19:25:38 21,900 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Um, what's the point of a cover system when there's nothing to take cover from? Aliens don't shoot you, they run at you... You don't need to hide/duck out and take pot shots at them, you need to unload a full clip in the fuckers really damn fast.

And, baring that in mind, a cover system would completely ruin the sense of immersion for the game.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Feb 2008 19:30:52 35,708 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    WTF is a cover system??

A system where your character (semi)-automatically takes cover as soon as you're behind something, with other buttons or sticks or whatever that allow you to pop into and out of cover and sprint from cover to cover quickly. The games that had something like this so far had taking cover as a core gameplay and level design element, meaning you don't survive very long if you're out of cover. Think a typical fight in a Western movie with everyone sprinting from stagecoach to drinking trough to hay bale and firing a few shots occasionally.

In other words, it makes sense in more tactical games where a single bullet can kill you, and not much sense in a game where you fight huge Aliens with teeth, claws and a tail.:p
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 19:35:36
    Someone just reskin the Nazis in Brothers in Arms and put it out. It would seemingly satisfy a few people in this thread.
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 19:54:46 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Um, what's the point of a cover system when there's nothing to take cover from? Aliens don't shoot you, they run at you... You don't need to hide/duck out and take pot shots at them, you need to unload a full clip in the fuckers really damn fast.

And, baring that in mind, a cover system would completely ruin the sense of immersion for the game.

Congratulations, welcome to 5 hours ago :)

Alright, I'm in the minority. But now because I'm bloody minded I want it in there just to spite you all so you won't buy it :p
  • Khanivor 18 Feb 2008 20:01:38 40,935 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope you get to play as Weirzbowski.

My only concern with the game is that it's obviously going to rape the Aliens script. There's plenty of good Dark Horse material out there that could be used to provide the framework for a Colonial Marines shooter without needing to get stupid.
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 20:03:39 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /wants to play as Spunkmeyer
  • Scimarad 18 Feb 2008 20:39:55 8,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You know, everybody remembers Spunkmeyer but I can't actually remember seeing that particular marine in the film...
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 20:42:35 43,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's the guy who discovers "something" icky on the dropship's ramp just before Ferro takes off.

His fate is unknown but presumed KIA.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Tabasco 18 Feb 2008 20:43:22 5,780 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    You know, everybody remembers Spunkmeyer but I can't actually remember seeing that particular marine in the film...
    Drop ship crew innit! Guy put his hand on the Alien 'goo'...

Edit - Bollocks sorry Whizzo! Had the reply window open for a bit...:o)
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 20:46:07 43,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /flexes touch typing fingers

• Scimarad 18 Feb 2008 20:46:35 8,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah! I remember him now, the poor bastard...
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Feb 2008 20:50:19 35,708 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

Congratulations, welcome to 5 hours ago :)

But, the thing is, smoothpete's very good question

"But what are you taking cover from?"

hasn't been answered yet. I am not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but I seriously don't understand your idea. :)
  • Tabasco 18 Feb 2008 20:51:42 5,780 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    /flexes touch typing fingers
    o/\o

I've always remembered that bit, think it's the way Ferro says Spunkmeyer's name...
  • Cloudane 18 Feb 2008 20:51:51 1,974 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a website - official or not - where you can read or find out info in regards to this game?

This is my 100% most anticipated game of the year along with Half Life 2: Episode 3 and a new hopeful Hitman outing.

And a huge big fat no to implementing fucking strategy and a bloody cover system in an Alien games.

Have those who watched the films seen the squad stop and ponder about hiding behind a coverable surface?

No. That is because they were too busy shooting the motherfuckers!
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 20:52:20 43,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    If the alien blood is correctly modelled then being able to use cover is essential.
    *cough*

Hudson probably wished he'd be in cover rather than right in front of an alien warrior when he "eat this!"ed with Hick's shotgun.

• Khanivor 18 Feb 2008 20:53:40 40,935 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only thing you could take cover from are facehuggers and acid blood, the latter probably really only being an occasional thing say when a minigun opens up on a charging horde. I'd be annoying as hell if you had to duck from artificially slow moving acid every time you shot an alien closer than 10 feet away.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 20:54:26
    But you can 'use' cover in pretty much any FPS, you just don't have a silly animation to tell you that you're standing behind a wall. :)
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 20:54:26 43,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cloudane wrote:Have those who watched the films seen the squad stop and ponder about hiding behind a coverable surface?
    The only time they actually have a gunfight with aliens is in open areas, there's no cover to take anyway!

• Khanivor 18 Feb 2008 20:57:46 40,935 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So that wasn't cover they were taking when fighting the aliens in the room where Hudson dies?
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 21:00:17 43,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    So that wasn't cover they were taking when fighting the aliens in the room where Hudson dies?
    As I watched the scene again this very evening, there's no cover, a few boxes and that's about it.

• Khanivor 18 Feb 2008 21:05:11 40,935 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hicks was firing from behind a table-like structure. That's cover. As are boxes :p

• Cloudane 18 Feb 2008 21:14:03 1,974 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of the new upcoming Alien game, I hope that the Alien Trilogy and Resurrection games will be available as a PSN download one day!

But still, NO BLOODY COVER SYSTEM PLEASE!!
  • Page

of 57 First / Last