The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 19

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• killersrquiet 5 Feb 2013 12:44:19 2,119 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    The multiplayer is a lot of fun though (from what I played last year).
    That would be good enough for me. Hasn't been a good aliens game since avp2.

Its annoying there are no reviews. Probably won't be any until a day before launch or on launch day which is never a good sign from previous experience
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 16:38:50
    @deckard

Aliens aren't interesting to fight? They coukd be. Gearbox are obviously riffing on L4D where brainless infected are the main fodder yet due to some well designed special infected and the AI director encounters are kept fresh.

Xenomorphs are smarter than zombies and operate as a hive mind, there's plenty of scope there to make for interesting fights. It just calls for a competent developer who gives a shit.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 16:39:22 05-02-2013
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2013 19:43:44 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The IGN vid got me back on board TBH, (dunno I must be mental)

4 player co-op looks fun, and the promise of a hoard mode sometime.

I know, clutching at straws, I'm still getting though.....

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Red_Dwarf_Posse 5 Feb 2013 21:33:14 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I cancelled my Collectors Edition as it was a bit much if this turned out crap. Pre Ordered the Extermination Edition through Game as I had some points saved up.

I have hope, I love the films and Im hoping I will enjoy this game. 7 days to go...
  • NOSAVIOUR 5 Feb 2013 21:51:51 2,809 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched Aliens 2 nights ago and just sat through the IGN play through and have to say they have nailed the atmosphere and environments. Really looking forward to this game now.
  • MetalDog 5 Feb 2013 21:55:55 23,877 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck marines - report back =D

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 22:01:36 8,982 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    I watched Aliens 2 nights ago and just sat through the IGN play through and have to say they have nailed the atmosphere and environments. Really looking forward to this game now.
    Aliens 2?
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2013 22:06:06 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Aliens 2?
    Heh, have a heart, I kinda know what he means :)

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Gruff 5 Feb 2013 22:09:29 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    I could have done without the gearbox guy pointing out the fan service features every 2 steps.

OK we get it already!

― Agnes Repplier

• NOSAVIOUR 5 Feb 2013 22:09:38 2,809 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only kinda ;)
  • muttler 5 Feb 2013 22:57:27 4,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I found positives and negatives in that IGN vid.

It looked like they started the gameplay from the beginning of the game, and there didn't seem to be much build up, it started throwing xenos at him very soon after going on board the Sulaco. 

There wasn't quite as much dialogue and marines going "wtf is this???" etc, they seemed to just get on with business.

Meleeing a xeno is ridiculous, I hoped that there would have been enough feedback after AvP that they would not have that.

I noticed that the sentry guns identify between friend and foe, the players were running around in front of them, not like the ones in the film!

Looked like it was the Xbox version, and the graphics aren't quite as good as the previous vids, the character models particularly don't look all that detailed.

The positives though, it seems really atmospheric, the overall set design looks very good and lighting and sound effects really are great.  I counted 11 levels on the campaign mission select screen, nice length.

The multiplayer really looks great.  So much customisation, not appearance and abilities etc.  He says near the end of the vid that the voice actor for the Apone mp character is actually Al Matthews, Apone in the film.  The different modes look like lots of fun, in fact the mp in general looks excellent.

The fact that there's so much footage released must mean they are confident with it, another good sign.  I've been waiting 4 years for this game, and imo it's looking very good, so roll on tuesday!

Edited by muttler at 07:28:34 06-02-2013
  • ZuluHero 5 Feb 2013 23:05:14 4,239 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So can you play this totally co-op? sorry if this has been asked before!
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2013 23:10:27 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yarp, You can play the campaign 4 player co op I believe

― Agnes Repplier

• ZuluHero 5 Feb 2013 23:12:57 4,239 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh cool..thanks! Not sure i could brave it on my own..need someone to hold my hand! ;)
  • Gruff 5 Feb 2013 23:17:33 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonight Matthew, I'm gonna be Pvt. Hudson

/Loses the plot

― Agnes Repplier

• Gruff 5 Feb 2013 23:22:26 2,941 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and the sound of the assault rifle, fanboyish I know but....awesome!

― Agnes Repplier

• -cerberus- 6 Feb 2013 00:46:53 3,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    muttler wrote: Looked like it was the Xbox version, and the graphics aren't quite as good as the previous vids, the character models particularly don't look all that detailed
    It's the PC version. Halfway through a Steam notification popped up.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 01:37:00
    Did anyone notice the Aliens randomly bursting into pools of acid blood without the player interacting with them or shooting them in anyway? I noticed it at least twice in the IGN live gameplay. Seems pretty late to try iron out bugs like that too, but who knows.
  • muttler 6 Feb 2013 07:37:32 4,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    muttler wrote: Looked like it was the Xbox version, and the graphics aren't quite as good as the previous vids, the character models particularly don't look all that detailed
    It's the PC version. Halfway through a Steam notification popped up.
    That's good news if so, it must be whatever they were using to capture the video.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 09:34:07
    I'm watching the IGN video at the moment, it looks okay so far, although the first xenomorph encounter seemed a little anticlimactic.

I'm sure I'll get something out of this considering my love for the Aliens. I got some enjoyment out of the last Rebellion effort and that was weak sauce.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Feb 2013 09:36:50 3,398 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Yarp, You can play the campaign 4 player co op I believe
    Any news on split-screen co-op?

If its got that i may very well pick it up, regardless of if its only "good" rather than awesome.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 09:50:11
    During the IGN video they mention that playing this will make Alien 3 a better experience. I initially thought this was disregarding that film, I'm intrigued how this game concludes now.
  • L_Franko Moderator 6 Feb 2013 09:53:09 9,697 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really hope this game plays well, it has been years since I shot a Alien. I avoided the last AvP.

The IGN video wasn't that disappointing, the gameplay looks like it could be a bit of fun.
    Did I see some Aliens just explode into nothingness in that video? That would be a bit crap.

Edited by L_Franko at 09:54:52 06-02-2013
  • AcidSnake 6 Feb 2013 09:58:39 7,290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    During the IGN video they mention that playing this will make Alien 3 a better experience. I initially thought this was disregarding that film, I'm intrigued how this game concludes now.
    Another point that could indicate Bishop was full of shit about the blast radius and everything...
    Means he saved Newt so that the eggs on board of the Sulaco had a host...Which in turn means he was lying in Alien 3 hence "a better experience"...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 10:10:24
    You make a salient point sir.

Well I've watched an hour now nd I'm not appalled, it actually looks like fun.

Being as it's out a couple of days after my birthday it would be rude not to have a crack at it.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Feb 2013 11:28:59 3,398 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    I avoided the last AvP.
    To this day, i will still defend AvP.

I honestly thought it was a really good game and i thought Rebellion did a great job with it. The campaign probably was lacking a bit of polish, but they did a great job of bringing the two universes to life.

The absolute highlight of the game though was the multiplayer - absolutely superb and, when i could get into a good game, it was easily some of the most fun online gaming i've done this generation.

You can get it for about £10 these days and its well worth a punt at that price IMO, especially if your a fan of either series.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• itinkuravinalaff 6 Feb 2013 11:31:09 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was on the fence with this but getting more and more excited and if I get for £33 at Simplygames and dont like it, cex will give me around 30 cash back. Win win!
  • -cerberus- 6 Feb 2013 13:23:26 3,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Another point that could indicate Bishop was full of shit about the blast radius and everything...
    Means he saved Newt so that the eggs on board of the Sulaco had a host...Which in turn means he was lying in Alien 3 hence "a better experience"...
    This has been a fan theory for many years. From the moment Bishop mentioned that Burke specifically ordered him to preserve all alien specimens for transportation to the company labs, I knew he was a tool.
    Also, with Alien³'s religious overtones in mind, it isn't too far-fetched to think that Weyland-Yutani's synthetic component designer Michael Bishop, which we see at the very end of the film, is a tool himself but within the movie's context could represent "God" in a way; a lying deceiving prick that makes himself look like the good guy. After all, Michael is a company big shot and he designed (a) man in his own image, which perfectly explains Bishop the android's nature.

• AcidSnake 6 Feb 2013 13:36:59 7,290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @-cerberus-:
    I thought Michael Bishop was just another android, though programmed to lie and say it was human?
    After Ripley smashes his head around I seem to remember a chunk of skin just hanging off...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• -cerberus- 6 Feb 2013 13:49:26 3,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @AcidSnake Nope, he's definitely human. Have you seen Alien³'s Assembly Cut?

• Page

of 58 First / Last