The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 18

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• Whizzo 31 Jan 2013 19:20:48 42,765 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sure you were the reason the USCMC won! ;-)

It's one aspect of the game I have no doubts about, I really enjoyed the MP. I wouldn't have queued up twice to play it if I hadn't.

Edited by Whizzo at 19:21:04 31-01-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 31 January 2013 21:22:34
    Just discovered that this is being released for the WiiU too. Anyone know what uses, if any, the second screen will have?

May get it for my new Ninty console if it turns out to be any good.
  • MetalDog 31 Jan 2013 21:27:27 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow. I sent a support request to cancel the pre-order for this to Steam last night - told them store credit would be fine rather than the arseache of reversing the charges.

Steam account already loaded with my returned dosh - I was disappointed there wasn't a one-click cancel option, but I'm impressed at the fairly rapid and silent acquiescence to my desire =D

Might end up buying it later, but damn, I'm waiting and seeing after the determined marketing campaign to put me off it.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• NOSAVIOUR 31 Jan 2013 21:33:47 2,802 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AdamAsunder motion tracker, what else is better suited. Wanted it for mine but it doesn't come out until April so ill probably break and get for the 360.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 21:45:18
    @NOSAVIOUR Yeah, I thought that might be what they'd use it for.

Just found out it's been outsourced to some obscure developer so I think I'll go for the Gearbox one on 360.

Unless of course that's also pony.
  • Derblington 31 Jan 2013 21:51:02 20,974 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Obscure developer? As opposed to this one that's really well known but only has 2 decent titles (out of 20) to their name... :)
  • -cerberus- 4 Feb 2013 21:27:50 2,099 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    2 Hours of Gameplay on IGN

This is fucking terrible. Shooting got old after ten minutes, friendly AI looks retarded, alien death animations are monotonous, etc.

Edited by -cerberus- at 22:02:34 04-02-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• S.J.Rogers 5 Feb 2013 08:55:27 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh BUGGER..! That does not look good..! :(
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Feb 2013 09:35:02 4,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I watched about seven minutes of the gameplay video ...

... looks like it won't be any better than the Rebellion developed Alien game a while ago.

: (
  • Ultrasoundwave 5 Feb 2013 10:02:41 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was common knowledge that this was (somehow) going to be a turd?

No idea how Gearbox have messed it up, but if the rumours are true, it really is supposed to be terrible.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Deckard1 5 Feb 2013 10:09:58 25,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looks ok to me. About what I expected. The problem it's got, and a problem it was always going to have, is that aliens just aren't interesting to fight.

Called it

• aeschylus 5 Feb 2013 10:10:44 446 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching that video my heart sunk again, why 'o' why can someone not get this right...

jeez, can it be that difficult, this has 7/10 written all over it...

though I suspect IGN will score high
  • smoothpete 5 Feb 2013 10:14:57 31,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Looks ok to me. About what I expected. The problem it's got, and a problem it was always going to have, is that aliens just aren't interesting to fight.
    It would have been much more interesting as half-shooter / half-survival horror game. I'm not convinced that first person was the way to do it. 3rd person action adventure with survival horror elements would have been cool. At least then they could have kept the tension high.
  • Ultrasoundwave 5 Feb 2013 10:17:57 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The problem it's got, and a problem it was always going to have, is that aliens just aren't interesting to fight.
    Isnt that, like, 95% of what the game is about though?

I would love for Gearbox to surprise me and for this to turn out to be a GOTY contender but......i just cant see it happening.

• Deckard1 5 Feb 2013 10:20:16 25,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It would have been much more interesting as half-shooter / half-survival horror game. I'm not convinced that first person was the way to do it. 3rd person action adventure with survival horror elements would have been cool. At least then they could have kept the tension high.
    Yeah, as soon as it became a FPS it was obvious this exactly what we were going to get.

Called it

• smoothpete 5 Feb 2013 10:21:44 31,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It might have worked if it had been more Condemned and less CoD
  • MetalDog 5 Feb 2013 10:28:17 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1st person is infinitely preferable for immersion and for aiming/getting about in general. It doesn't /have/ to lead to COD style gameplay, look at Thief - lots of tension, not much in the way of direct fighting (if you're wise).

This being Aliens we want shooting - but we also want a lot of tense creeping about trying to fix things so that we can get out, constantly fearful of that warbling meep from the motion tracker.

• Deckard1 5 Feb 2013 10:29:13 25,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah but marines, assault rifles, smart guns and all that. Aliens are too easy to kill when you're heavily armed so the only way to make like condemned would have been to have you walking about with a pistol, which would have been shit as well. Like I said, the problem its always going to have is that aliens just aren't interesting to fight.

Called it

• killersrquiet 5 Feb 2013 10:30:17 1,387 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I watched the whole ign video. Graphics are sub par but this has been known for a while. The alien movement seems very clunky and the ai didn't help. I think he was playing on normal difficulty might be more bearable on high difficultly.

Hopefully the multiplayer comes good i could forgive a poor so for that
  • onestepfromlost 5 Feb 2013 10:34:51 1,966 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think I might cancel my preorder when I get home :/
  • MetalDog 5 Feb 2013 10:36:13 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They would be interesting to fight if they turn on friendly fire. Waaay harder to deal with incoming aliens if you've got to try not turning your buddies into lead holders. Couldn't just spray and pray, you'd have to form up, watch where you were firing. Part of the objective should always be how many make it out alive, I reckon. Have multiple levels with tasks that need performing and the option for perma death either per level or over the whole run. The more marines you lose, the tougher it is to finish, limited healing ability, wounds affecting performance - head shot and you're dead, mauled or shot leg, you're slowed, will your pals stick with you, or run off and leave you as bait?

It could be good - done right.

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Feb 2013 10:37:57 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    Think I might cancel my preorder when I get home :/
    Definitely think this is a "wait for the reviews" situation.

Looking at the gameplay videos and reading the previews, it all smells very "6 or 7/10 - ok but not great" to me.

• sport 5 Feb 2013 10:48:10 12,046 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dead Space called. It wants it's tension back!
  • chrisno21 5 Feb 2013 10:54:05 1,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uh-oh, looks pedestrian and average. Unless reviews are great I'll be cancelling my pre-order.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 5 Feb 2013 10:55:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    fuckinell. Bought the Steam version.
  • mikeck 5 Feb 2013 11:02:58 1,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

No idea how Gearbox have messed it up
    By taking money to develop the game eight years ago and making Borderlands instead. By constantly delaying the game so they could work on other titles. Sigh.

This game would have looked great at the start of this gen, but now it just doesn't cut it graphically.
  • mikeck 5 Feb 2013 11:03:49 1,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The multiplayer is a lot of fun though (from what I played last year).
  • MetalDog 5 Feb 2013 11:04:14 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    fuckinell. Bought the Steam version.
    If you go through Steam support (you have to make a separate account for this for some goddamn reason) and ask to cancel the pre-order they will refund so long as you do it before release. I asked for store credit and in 24hrs, I had it. Bit of a pain in the arse, but doable.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 5 Feb 2013 11:07:28 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    cheers; Its ridiculous really to fall for hype like a kid at christmas. Never learn.
  • MetalDog 5 Feb 2013 11:10:43 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, but Aliens, man. Aliens.
    Oh well - we'll find out later if it's screwed the pooch or not.

• Page

of 57 First / Last