The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 57

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• muttler 10 Dec 2013 12:26:22 4,284 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I recently brought it for £3 from PSN. It's not quite as bad as all that, although it is pretty bad.

I'd give it a solid 4/10, it just about avoids being a 1,2 or 3 /10 imo, just for the Aliens vibe, as it does have some bits which are actually almost a little bit better than complete arse.

Just keep your expectations low, and do your best to enjoy almost quite good Aliens set design.

I've haven't tried the multiplayer yet, probably the best bit. Anyone want to try it on PS3, lets hook up.
  • Deleted user 10 December 2013 16:35:59
    Hmm... I think I'll wait til it's a quid :-P
  • SolidSCB 10 Dec 2013 16:44:30 7,361 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tried playing multiplayer on this about 6 months ago and it was almost completely dead. Never got into a single game. I'd say you've got fuck all chance there outside of the odd co-op game.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 10 Dec 2013 17:09:17 208 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was it an Xmas deal? I'd get it for £3. It's £20 again now.
  • Deleted user 10 December 2013 17:16:03
    @itsoldsquarejaw Nah it's three quid used on amazon (well, plus two pound postage so a fiver).

Few games on Xbox Deal of the Week so I'll wait a bit longer for this one. Still have this near impossible urge to play it though. God knows why. Really.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 10 Dec 2013 19:04:18 208 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Same. But for three quid I'm easy. :p Fiver.... eeeeeeh.
  • ThrowingTuba 2 Jan 2014 23:55:14 96 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aliens is on TV and this is only £6 on PSN....

Errmmmm.....
  • PenguinJim 3 Jan 2014 00:17:41 6,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought it for US$2 from Amazon. It's region-locked, though, so I'll have to wait until the next time I'm in the US on business before I can activate it.

Oh, whatever will I do with my time until then?! :(
  • Deleted user 3 January 2014 00:21:01
    I still really want to play this :-S
  • ThrowingTuba 3 Jan 2014 00:30:16 96 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "Move it Spunkmeyer, we're rolling..."
  • CosmicFuzz 3 Jan 2014 09:10:22 25,578 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only £3 in Game...

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• sega 3 Jan 2014 09:37:49 908 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Aliens on TV last night and this game has actually ruined the film for me. It's all I could bloody think of. I'm not kidding but I think it has just dropped past Resurrection as the Alien film I enjoy the least. Cheers Gearbox.
  • smoothpete 3 Jan 2014 09:42:28 31,812 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I picked it up for 3 quid from Game yesterday too. I actually apologised to the guy on the till when I handed it over.

Oh and OMFG there is a actual extremely fit girl working in Game in the Oracle in Reading. Think she is half asian perhaps.
  • GiarcYekrub 17 Aug 2014 22:09:39 3,857 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I caved and bought this after watching Aliens for £7 from Morrisons, so far its OK, I've played worse
  • bad09 17 Aug 2014 22:13:59 6,254 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @GiarcYekrub

It's terribleness was greatly overstated, I think some of it is out of spite for the bait & switch. Rough Shooter and terrible plot but not the worst games ever, not even the worst Aliens game.

I'd say look at bughunt if it goes cheap. MP is probably dead now but it can be played solo and is brilliant.
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2014 23:22:59 3,592 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @bad09 I think it's rather because it's so incredibly disappointing that it fucks with 20+ years of established canon. And because it's a poor man's COD with an Aliens skin.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Gruff 17 Aug 2014 23:47:45 2,946 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just let it die, like the deformed creature in a jar it is.

BURN IT!

Edited by Gruff at 23:48:21 17-08-2014

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• bad09 18 Aug 2014 01:02:44 6,254 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    @bad09 I think it's rather because it's so incredibly disappointing that it fucks with 20+ years of established canon. And because it's a poor man's COD with an Aliens skin.
    Yeah, "official sequel" my facehuggers hairy arse it was Aliens for kids. Gotta love that "care" Randy Pitchfraud and his company of conmen took with it.

As for poor mans COD, true...but isn't every FPS these days? To be honest gameplay wise I didn't think it was that bad, the human bit were beyond crap but up against the aliens it was OK and I quite enjoyed it. Even the rough MP was fun (shame the matchmaking on PC was utterly broken - the one thing they didn't fix you have to join Steam groups and pick out people playing :( ).

I still think people are down on it more due to the very public bait & switch, it's become a poster child for the lies this industry calls marketing despite the fact lies and bait & switches have been happening forever.
  • Defecationqueen 7 Nov 2014 09:08:06 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bought this for £3 new from Amazon. The multiplayer is fun! Definitely worth £3. Cannot comment on the campaign yet as I haven't played it.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Nov 2014 09:12:08 1,569 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I really enjoyed the campaign. Very guilty pleasure this one. Play it on hard, beer up and go for it.
  • convercide 7 Nov 2014 09:25:10 6,201 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The multiplayer is by far the most unbalanced piece of shit I have ever played. Aliens win. Every single time. Host isn't an alien? Then they quit. Every single time.

And it IS as bad as everyone says.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• bad09 7 Nov 2014 09:38:27 6,254 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally the MP (and Bughunt) was the best thing about A:CM, had a lot of fun myself.
  • Defecationqueen 7 Nov 2014 09:45:47 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, the multiplayer is quite good. I haven't yet figured out how to shoot acid correctly as an alien, though. Or the jumping perk. The hud doesn't show you were it/you will land because of the viewing angle.

@convercide If the marines work as a unit then the Aliens don't stand a chance. The Aliens only dominate the game when the marines decide to go all John Rambo and try to go their separate ways. Then they become easy pickings for the quicker and stealthy Aliens.

Does anyone have any tips on how to 'land' the Alien's special abilities? So far, I've exclusively relied on using the quick claw attack for all of my kills as using the tail or the bite etc is almost impossible to land if the marine is moving.
  • Defecationqueen 7 Nov 2014 09:46:21 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Personally the MP (and Bughunt) was the best thing about A:CM, had a lot of fun myself.
    Yeah, I wanted to play Bughunt but Sega are charging £9.99 for it on the PS Store!
  • the_milkybar_kid 7 Nov 2014 09:58:05 814 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I've never been more miserable playing a single player in my life. So fucking dull. BLOPS2 is second, by quite some distance.
  • bad09 7 Nov 2014 17:45:38 6,254 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Defecationqueen

Hold on for a sale, give it a go though a brilliant mode in SP or MP.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Nov 2014 19:06:19 1,569 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Hmm. I'll keep my eye open for it in sale too then, sounds like I'll enjoy it.
  • bad09 7 Nov 2014 21:20:36 6,254 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve

They basically nicked zombie mode from the Treyarch COD games but it's great fun.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Nov 2014 21:22:39 1,569 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @bad09 Ah! Nice. If it's on sale at any point I'll nab it. Actually been considering getting Stasis Interrupted for this as well. I'm such a loser but I quite like the game. Mind you, I liked Duke Nukem Forever as well.

Edited by Wunty_Phyve at 21:23:11 07-11-2014
  • muttler 8 Nov 2014 00:31:16 4,284 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:

Does anyone have any tips
    The most OP shit if your playing as aliens is to be the soldier alien, equip flurry as your primary attack, have the hollow go-faster eco skeleton, adrenaline rush (regen health and faster movement) as your ability, and bloodlust trait (get health for dealing damage).  With that set up you will dominate to the point where it actually gets boring.

As a spitter the best set up varies, but I played the regular spit primary with flurry claw attack secondary.  Oh and as spitter, have the rupture trait of leaving an acid puddle after you die that eejits run into an awful lot, getting you extra kills.  Remember you can climb the walls to reach vantage points to spit from.

The marines are underpowered against the OP speed/flurry combo, the only chance is to stick together, use claymores and it's worth learning where the smart gun spawns are in each map.  The pulse rifle with the extra ammo and higher ROF upgrades is probably the best all rounder.

Bug Hunt is pretty good, especially with other players, but there are some shocking level design flaws which mean if you do some sections in the wrong order, or cane all your money on guns and ammo instead of saving up to open certain doors, you cannot proceed and have to restart the whole mission.

The Stasis Interrupted dlc is more painfully laughably bad shit like the main story, however it's probably the four best bits cobbled together.  And iirc in this you get to hear Hicks explanation as to how he didn't die in the crashed life pod on Fury 161.
  • Page

of 58 First / Last