The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 54

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• Triggerhappytel 19 Feb 2013 20:55:53 2,667 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    johnson81 wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:Any other company, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But something seems off with this Pitchford guy.
    He is a Snake Oil salesman, Pitchford is a PR guy now. I will always remember him claiming that Duke Nukem' single player was as solid as Half-Life 2's campaign.
    At the time I thought he genuinely believed in what he was saying and that his gaming experience just existed in a vacuum, but now I seriously wonder if the guy is just a mediocre developer and outright liar who just got lucky with Borderlands.
  • javvyman 19 Feb 2013 21:31:15 707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you're bang on the money there. If you look at their profile for this gen, the only decent games are the Borderland series.

Brothers in Arms : Hells Highway, ok
    Duke Nukem, royally fucked
    Fast five, cancelled
    Aliens colonial marines... :cry:

Edited by javvyman at 21:32:46 19-02-2013
  • timetraveler 21 Feb 2013 07:10:10 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I heard they're making some DLC. Is it true? Are you going to buy it? I played Aliens Colonial Marines until 3rd mission and gave up. I'm disappointed. But if the DLC will be better - i'd give this game second chance.
  • -cerberus- 21 Feb 2013 12:29:21 2,423 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't understand the logic behind having spent money on a bad game and still be willing to pay extra for (potentially equally bad) DLC for said bad game. That sounds awfully masochistic to me.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Aretak 21 Feb 2013 12:59:49 10,345 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    timetraveler wrote:
    I heard they're making some DLC. Is it true?
    They sure are. The season pass is available right now for 20. Buy today!
  • pinebear 21 Feb 2013 13:58:52 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's going to be as good as Half-Life's DLC!

• YenRug 21 Feb 2013 16:08:54 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know if you guys have been discussing the Aliens RPG in here, at all, but guessing it's likely after the stories that popped up on the frontpage. If anyone read the comments on the gameplay video story, you might have caught me mentioning that I'd gotten a reply back, from Obsidian Entertainment, to a message I sent them on Facebook, so here it is:

Me:
    Hi, as a Kickstarter backer of Project Eternity and in light of the recent release, and critical mauling, of Aliens: Colonial Marines, I was wondering if you might consider answering a question (or maybe even start some cogs/wheels turning by asking it). I was severely disappointed that SEGA cancelled production of the Aliens RPG you were developing for them and, in light of the furore generated, certain websites have been writing articles about it, especially now that an animator's demo reel has been found online. To that end: seeing as how Feargus Urquhart is quoted as saying it was "near" to having a finished build quality, is it feasible that a Kickstarter would be able to raise enough money to fund the RPG to completion, if SEGA sanctioned the project at no cost to themselves?

I presume there would be questions/costs involved with the license, but if Fox were to accept a cut of any subsequent sales instead of an upfront licensing fee, then surely they would be willing to take the chance on potential income, especially as A:CM seems to have been somewhat successful despite its critical reception.
    OE:
    Hey Adam,

Unfortunately, that would take a lot more than we'd probably be able to get for the game. We'd probably have to up-rez everything for the new consoles, as well as look at that engine again and start working and integrating revisions that we have done for other games using similar tools. It really would take a lot. :(

-Alvin
    Me:
    Alvin,

thanks for the reply. A real shame to hear that, I know that I've seen a few comments from other people that they also wished that the cancellation had been the other way round, that they would have loved the chance to have played it. Just have to chalk it up as one that got away. :(

Would you mind if I posted this on the Eurogamer forums? I'm sure that those same people would probably prefer to know that it's not a possibility that it could be resurrected, or at least not that easily, anyway.
    I'm pretty sure there's nothing confidential in their reply, it also confirms some of the comments people made about the video, so thought it worthy of sharing.

Edited by YenRug at 16:10:04 21-02-2013

Edited by YenRug at 21:08:50 21-02-2013
  • GreyScale 21 Feb 2013 23:13:31 392 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I seriously hate the fact that through the whole game (well so far, I'm up to mission 8 now) you are accompanied by at least one other marine. This marine is uncontrollable, invincible (both to enemies and to your bullets) and often has a much better gun. It appears to be possible to get through pretty much all of the game without firing a single shot, by just hanging back and letting your buddy do all the shooting.

Completely destroys any sense of tenseness or excitement, I'm finding it a challenge to actually kill enemies BEFORE my AI buddy can. Its almost like cheating, even though this is how it is sposed to be played.

What a load of shite
  • YenRug 24 Feb 2013 23:20:35 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    [link url=http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml]Gearbox 'embezzled' Aliens: Colonial Marines money
    Secret SEGA blogger says Duke Nukem Forever had a big impact on Aliens' failure
    [/link]
  • bad09 25 Feb 2013 00:31:52 5,623 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty much what the rumours were saying before. Either way both SEGA and Gearbox have been hugely misleading to consumers and hopefully this mess will damage their reputations quite a bit.
  • -cerberus- 25 Feb 2013 00:50:13 2,423 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nuke Gearbox from orbit, I say.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• timetraveler 25 Feb 2013 07:19:59 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I was hoping they would want to repay and make great DLC. But there's slight chance for that.
  • colinmac 26 Feb 2013 23:35:41 730 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What disappoints me the most - and I know almost any software company can turn out drivel - is that everyone in the review industry - and that means you too, Eurogamer - stuck to the embargo - knowing full well that all the fans were going to blow their hard earned cash on drivel.

This sort of embargo is for no other reason than suppressing any sales damaging review - now what the hell are reviews for ? You don't expect to read a car review after you've collected the damn thing from the showroom.

I'd like to hear Eurogamer's position on this - since it's not like Sega could threaten to withhold the next X massive titles they're going to publish...

Any EG bods want to comment ?

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• bad09 26 Feb 2013 23:42:29 5,623 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair all you had to do is wait. There is a lesson there....
  • PenguinJim 27 Feb 2013 00:23:00 5,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    colinmac wrote:
    What disappoints me the most - and I know almost any software company can turn out drivel - is that everyone in the review industry - and that means you too, Eurogamer - stuck to the embargo - knowing full well that all the fans were going to blow their hard earned cash on drivel.
    I'm a big fan of Aliens. I like Borderlands. I saw a Colon Morons gameplay trailer last year. It looked like drivel.
  • Triggerhappytel 27 Feb 2013 00:31:54 2,667 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @colinmac
    The trouble is. I think if EG started to ignore embargo dates and NDAs in order to keep its audience informed, publishers would probably just blanket black-mark them, meaning no pre-release review copies, no invites to events, no Doritos and Mountain Dew, etc. To keep on the cutting edge of information and coverage - when they're not cutting and pasting from Neogaf or Kotaku that is - they can't really blind themselves like that. Plus they need the advertising revenue from publishers.
  • puddleduck 27 Feb 2013 00:38:52 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Consumers blaming reviewers for not breaking embargos?!? They all pretty much slated the game, just don't be retarded. It looked iffy for a while, and any embargo is normally a sign to just wait in that instance.

Whole thing is just people not taking responsibility for their own actions and looking to pass blame, whether it be the developers, publishers or the consumers.

I find the vitriol all quite amusing as well. Yeah Alien(s) were awesome. 3 was pretty decent, but the rest of the franchise is filled with rubbish. A couple of decent games in amongst a load of crap as well, it's not like this is a franchise with a 100% success rate. People need to get over it and move on... go play some Borderlands or something :p
  • Triggerhappytel 27 Feb 2013 00:46:49 2,667 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What I don't get is, if the Aliens brand was such a big deal for Sega did they not have a project manager or brand manager checking up on the game's quality and progress? Do Fox not have an Aliens brand manager who does the same? Sega probably invested tens of millions of dollars into this game and license, and I get the feeling Gearbox duped them the same as they duped everyone else.
  • ecureuil 27 Feb 2013 00:54:21 76,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Consumers need to foot a lot of this blame. There's no reason whatsoever to put your money down on a game before it's out. If you get burned, it really is your own fault.

So what, a trailer from years ago looked great, and that counts as misleading the consumer? Trailers do look good, that's the point. The new Die Hard looks fucking epic from the trailer, but moviegoers tend not to put their cash down months in advance on a product that might not be very good. The games industry really has gamers by the balls with this pre-ordering nonsense. There was a thread recently that said gamers shouldn't pre-order, and the guy was completely shot down. Now the same people have the knives out for Gearbox. You don't get it both ways. If you want to pay for a game before you know whether it's any good, it's YOUR fault if you get burned.

Since I was one of the sensible ones and didn't waste my money on this turd, I'm not even mad at Gearbox. I mean, so what if the game is shit, really? It's not like they've ruined some pristine franchise, there's been more shitty aliens products than good ones. I don't understand the vitriol. It's hilarious if anything, nothing brings the lolz like a big name flop. What should have happened, is you hit Gearbox where it hurts - the wallet. The game is shit, nobody buys it, and they get what they deserve. But nope, off to the top of the charts with ya, thanks for all your pre-orders, suckers.
  • puddleduck 27 Feb 2013 00:57:30 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The whole Alien brand has been nothing but a cash-in for years. Not really sure why people were that surprised.

I think their next step should be Sonic v Alien. Replace Dr Robotnik with the Alien Queen and all enemies with different Aliens and they'll be onto a winner.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 00:57:42 6,962 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, the rage directed at Gearbox is really quite OTT. I don't think there's any parallels quite the same with shitty product rage in other mediums.

Like in films. Directors get a lot of flak if they make trash, but I never see people calling for production company staff to get fired or whatever.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:06:27 27-02-2013
  • neilka 27 Feb 2013 01:08:10 15,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If there's not a xenomorph in the next Sonic racing game then I'll be very disappointed.
  • killersrquiet 27 Feb 2013 10:15:22 1,844 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, the rage directed at Gearbox is really quite OTT. I don't think there's any parallels quite the same with shitty product rage in other mediums.

Like in films. Directors get a lot of flak if they make trash, but I never see people calling for production company staff to get fired or whatever.
    I can't agree that its over the top. The information leaking from gearbox/Sega/timegate show what a complete and utter shambles this game was.

Lies and misinformation from gearbox and gameplay so ham fisted you would swear blind the Teletubbies made the game.

Randy Pritchards complete contempt and disregard for the aliens fanbase shows the level of the man. I mean look a this twitter for instance. Blocking anyone who slates or mentions a shortfall on the game and saying "I only accept positive comments" confirms everything I've said.

Aliens gamed sell despite being crap. Gearbox knew this. They were more interested in borderlands cause its the only bloody game that makes them money.

I'll never touch another game gearbox go near. Hardly a loss since I never have in the first place.

Rant over
  • bad09 27 Feb 2013 10:20:14 5,623 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, the rage directed at Gearbox is really quite OTT.
    I dunno. Sure it's a dishonest industry they all lie, use target renders or PC footage to sell console versions etc. It's been going on since the beginning of gaming but Gearbox laid on the bull so much and the embargo was blatantly SEGA going "we need to fool some people to get some money back so you will keep quiet" it's quite right they get a lot of flack for it. A bit of a witch hunt now and again on the worst offenders helps makes the rest think twice I reckon.

Edited by bad09 at 10:20:54 27-02-2013
  • Gambit1977 27 Feb 2013 10:29:49 9,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think despite me possibly missing out on some gaming gold, I will never purchase a retail copy of a gearbox game again.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Feb 2013 10:36:28 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I think despite me possibly missing out on some gaming gold, I will never purchase a retail copy of a gearbox game again.
    As much as i'd like to commend you for that, when Borderlands 3 comes out on the next gen consoles i'll be pre-ordering the fuck out of it.

I'll pre-order its brains out.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Gambit1977 27 Feb 2013 10:37:18 9,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    As much as i'd like to commend you for that, when Borderlands 3 comes out on the next gen consoles i'll be pre-ordering the fuck out of it.

I'll pre-order its brains out.
    And me :lol: gaming is as fickle as football!
  • Aretak 27 Feb 2013 11:07:01 10,345 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

That's nonsense in fairness, and similar drivel is always touted by the 'gamers are entitled' crowd. Criticism and fan backlash is just as fierce in other mediums, if not more so. I mean, were you not around when the Star Wars prequels were coming out or something? I'd say the nerd rage over those alone eclipses anything ever seen in gaming.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 11:21:36
    Plus to mention the fact that you don't pay forty quid to see a film. I would personally feel worse about a bad game than a bad film as I paid four times as much.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last