The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 48

  • Page

    of 57 First / Last

  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 10:40:02 3,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Wait, you've never seen it?
    Sorry about the spoilers then...
    Dont worry about it, despite never seeing it i pretty much know everything that happens. I'm very tempted to just never bother watching it and just make up a (better) story/ending in my head.....

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:40:04 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    But they did survive, that was kind of the whole tension relief point of Aliens. I'm not saying they should have lived happily ever after and they could have killed them off via action in the next flick if they were part of the next flicks story, which they didn't have to be - the way they chose to handle it was just a bodge.
    Well I guess that depends on your opinion of 3 which is really about the hopeless march to death of Ripley than anything else, 3 rips that victory and happy ending away and says "it wasn't a happy ending Ripley is going to die now watch it happen". Personally I have a lot of time for 3 (especially now we have the restored workprint which adds more depth to it), it was a brave direction but I do understand why people hated it coming after Aliens to be fair.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:43:26 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Some of the expanded universe "sequal" books after Aliens were pretty good, as was the Alien vs Predator ones (set in the Aliens time period; you know, with guns and interesting sci-fi shit). It's always puzzled me why the films - and now games - never tried to use any of them pretty good material. I mean it's not high brow sci-fi but it's great action movie and game fodder. Although they did manage to shoehorn Ripley in somehow (as an andriod, I think? I forget).
    One of the books is certainly the influence for Resurrection with it's lab breeding aliens. That is the one with Ripley showing up to I think.
  • SClaw 14 Feb 2013 10:44:11 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    But they did survive, that was kind of the whole tension relief point of Aliens. I'm not saying they should have lived happily ever after and they could have killed them off via action in the next flick if they were part of the next flicks story, which they didn't have to be - the way they chose to handle it was just a bodge.
    Well I guess that depends on your opinion of 3 which is really about the hopeless march to death of Ripley than anything else, 3 rips that victory and happy ending away and says "it wasn't a happy ending Ripley is going to die now watch it happen". Personally I have a lot of time for 3 (especially now we have the restored workprint which adds more depth to it), it was a brave direction but I do understand why people hated it coming after Aliens to be fair.
    I also like 3. Not so much as an Alien film, but as a film in general. It's got some great acting mixed in there and a really awesome, yet uninspiring speech. And through it looks shitty right now, that CGI was cutting edge for its time.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:51:00 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SClaw

    Nah The CGI was crap back then but it was the first time they tried CGI aliens to be fair. You are right some great acting and a brilliant cast.
  • MetalDog 14 Feb 2013 10:52:42 23,697 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Wait, you've never seen it?
    Sorry about the spoilers then...
    Dont worry about it, despite never seeing it i pretty much know everything that happens. I'm very tempted to just never bother watching it and just make up a (better) story/ending in my head.....
    That's always been my take on it. I followed the script changing shenannigins of Alien 3 at the time and I decided back then 'fuck them, I'll make up my own ending'.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • quadfather 14 Feb 2013 10:57:01 12,133 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    4 is still crapish, but I still like 3.

    Actually, I don't actually mind 4 that much - some bits are pretty good. It's the ridiculous morphed alien/ripley/banana/pikmon monster that's the stupid bit.

    And any film that has the line, "I ain't much for beggin'" is a winner in my book :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2013 10:57:27 25,845 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The main problem with Alien 3 is that it is deathly dull. It lacks any tension whatsoever.
  • jellyhead 14 Feb 2013 11:12:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave I don't really mind Aliens 3. I'd say it's worth watching once then watch it again with the director's commentary on and see how many times his comments mirror your own thoughts. He's quite ... open about the whole thing.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 11:12:39 7,268 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MD:
    Fair enough, the whole universe is so convoluted now there are so many points you can just draw a line and ignore the rest...

    For me I think the first 4 are canon, however much I hate the "ridiculous morphed alien/ripley/banana/pikmon monster" and the phrase "now she is perfect"...No you idiot, she was perfect before! It took a huge mech to bring her down and a nuclear explosion to keep her kids at bay...

    The AvP stuff is way out and Prometheus is a shambles...

    I wonder if there's some people who draw the line after the first one and only accept the original lifecycle (where coccooned people turn directly into eggs)...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Whizzo 14 Feb 2013 11:13:36 43,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite like Alien 3 but as a sequel to Aliens it felt rather flat, not because it's not action packed or anything but because of the perfunctory killing of characters that you learned to really like in Aliens. It really does feel like a slap in the face.

    As for killing Newt because she'd have grown up, well they would have had to recast anyway because Carrie Henn didn't want to do any more acting, which she (and her real brother who played Timmy) haven't done.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 11:13:47 7,268 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jellyhead:
    Director's commentary?
    Did I miss this version? I thought Fincher didn't want anything to do with it anymore?

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 11:14:37 3,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    @Ultrasoundwave I don't really mind Aliens 3. I'd say it's worth watching once then watch it again with the director's commentary on and see how many times his comments mirror your own thoughts. He's quite ... open about the whole thing.
    I wasn't aware that Fincher did a directors commentary?, i would have thought that with all the supposed problems he had with the studio he wouldnt have agreed to do a commentary???

    Its also kind of ironic that, if you wanted to see another great Aliens movie and James Cameron couldnt do it, Fincher would be one of the best possible alternatives in this day and age.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 11:26:54 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    4 is still crapish, but I still like 3.

    Actually, I don't actually mind 4 that much - some bits are pretty good. It's the ridiculous morphed alien/ripley/banana/pikmon monster that's the stupid bit.

    And any film that has the line, "I ain't much for beggin'" is a winner in my book :)
    Yeah 4 is..OK. You are right it falls apart when the hybrid shows up and also how does Call know so damn much? The underwater scene is stunning.
  • SomaticSense 14 Feb 2013 11:29:15 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @MD:
    Fair enough, the whole universe is so convoluted now there are so many points you can just draw a line and ignore the rest...

    For me I think the first 4 are canon, however much I hate the "ridiculous morphed alien/ripley/banana/pikmon monster" and the phrase "now she is perfect"...No you idiot, she was perfect before! It took a huge mech to bring her down and a nuclear explosion to keep her kids at bay...

    The AvP stuff is way out and Prometheus is a shambles...

    I wonder if there's some people who draw the line after the first one and only accept the original lifecycle (where coccooned people turn directly into eggs)...
    I agree with AvP needing to be ignored, but I feel the xeno backstory of Prometheus is a great addition to the canon, regardless of how sloppy the script and screenplay was.
  • jellyhead 14 Feb 2013 11:29:39 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave You may be right. It may not have been Fincher but i'm sure i remember one of the commentary tracks discussing the difficulties they had during filming and how it effected the final output.

    ... or maybe it was a dream?

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Deckard1 14 Feb 2013 11:33:20 27,981 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I probably prefer 4 to 3 to be honest. 3 is just mind numbingly dull and lifeless.

    For me its Alien>>Aliens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection >>Alien3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rubbing cold turd into my eyes >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The AVP films
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 11:33:50 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I doubt it was Fincher, he wasn't even involved in the workprint version as he wanted nothing to do with the film again. may check myself though never usually do commentary tracks but that sounds interesting.

    With regard to Prometheus, as bad as it was it may tie up in the later films. As I understand it the studio plan changed from Sciott's prequel to then distance it from Alien, create a new franchise and tie the two together in the 3rd final movie. We'll see though.

    Edited by bad09 at 11:36:36 14-02-2013
  • SomaticSense 14 Feb 2013 11:36:31 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    @Ultrasoundwave I don't really mind Aliens 3. I'd say it's worth watching once then watch it again with the director's commentary on and see how many times his comments mirror your own thoughts. He's quite ... open about the whole thing.
    I wasn't aware that Fincher did a directors commentary?, i would have thought that with all the supposed problems he had with the studio he wouldnt have agreed to do a commentary???

    Its also kind of ironic that, if you wanted to see another great Aliens movie and James Cameron couldnt do it, Fincher would be one of the best possible alternatives in this day and age.
    I think if Alien 3 was the second film in the series then it would've been more highly regarded. I feel it's hugely underrated, and is only dismissed because of people's expectations of another action-fest after Aliens.

    However, the abandonded 'wooden planet' screenplay sounded incredible.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 11:38:51 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dunno about the DVD set but just looked in my Alien blu set, Fincher isn't listed in the commentary tracks for 3.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 11:42:43 3,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    With regard to Prometheus, as bad as it was it may tie up in the later films. As I understand it the studio plan changed from Sciott's prequel to then distance it from Alien, create a new franchise and tie the two together in the 3rd final movie. We'll see though.
    It may just be me, but i dont class Prometheus as an Alien film - not at all. Obviously, its set in the same universe and has similar elements, but i see it as a separate entity to the Aliens movies.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 11:45:44 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

    I believe that's the idea it was supposed to create it's own brand and franchise that will eventually tie them together, unfortunately the studio decided that route after we were sold on it being an actual prequel.
  • SomaticSense 14 Feb 2013 11:47:05 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    With regard to Prometheus, as bad as it was it may tie up in the later films. As I understand it the studio plan changed from Sciott's prequel to then distance it from Alien, create a new franchise and tie the two together in the 3rd final movie. We'll see though.
    It may just be me, but i dont class Prometheus as an Alien film - not at all. Obviously, its set in the same universe and has similar elements, but i see it as a separate entity to the Aliens movies.
    It clearly explains the origins of the aliens, as well as a bunch of other pretty major stuff (inluding - although not explicitly mentioned - why the Space Jockey might have crash landed on another planet with a ship full of eggs). I definitely regard it as an Alien movie for that reason alone.

    Edited by SomaticSense at 11:50:40 14-02-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 11:54:03 3,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    With regard to Prometheus, as bad as it was it may tie up in the later films. As I understand it the studio plan changed from Sciott's prequel to then distance it from Alien, create a new franchise and tie the two together in the 3rd final movie. We'll see though.
    It may just be me, but i dont class Prometheus as an Alien film - not at all. Obviously, its set in the same universe and has similar elements, but i see it as a separate entity to the Aliens movies.
    It clearly explains the origins of the aliens, as well as a bunch of other pretty major stuff (inluding - although not explicitly mentioned - why the Space Jockey might have crash landed on another planet with a ship full of eggs). I definitely regard it as an Alien movie for that reason alone.
    All of what you say is true. However, in my head at least, having no pulse rifles, no colonial marines, no motion scanners and, more importantly, no Aliens means its not an Alien movie IMO.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2013 11:55:41 25,845 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I think if Alien 3 was the second film in the series then it would've been more highly regarded. I feel it's hugely underrated, and is only dismissed because of people's expectations of another action-fest after Aliens.
    Nah. Even if you ignore Aliens, Alien 3 is just so dull. Even more so if you just compare it to Alien. It has a complete and utter lack of any tension or drama.
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 12:04:30 5,903 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had this conversation before, lots of tension and drama in Alien 3 just not from the alien like the first 2. We've seen the aliens they are not scary anymore, the tension and drama is in Ripleys situation. Losing her "adopted" daughter (second child she has lost) being stuck alone on a planet with crazy killers and rapists with an alien queen in her chest that the company is coming to get and without the courage to do it herself no way to die until she helps the crazies stop the loose alien somehow with no weapons.

    I get people don't the like 3 but there is plenty of tension and drama in there.

    Edited by bad09 at 12:05:46 14-02-2013
  • SomaticSense 14 Feb 2013 12:05:38 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    With regard to Prometheus, as bad as it was it may tie up in the later films. As I understand it the studio plan changed from Sciott's prequel to then distance it from Alien, create a new franchise and tie the two together in the 3rd final movie. We'll see though.
    It may just be me, but i dont class Prometheus as an Alien film - not at all. Obviously, its set in the same universe and has similar elements, but i see it as a separate entity to the Aliens movies.
    It clearly explains the origins of the aliens, as well as a bunch of other pretty major stuff (inluding - although not explicitly mentioned - why the Space Jockey might have crash landed on another planet with a ship full of eggs). I definitely regard it as an Alien movie for that reason alone.
    All of what you say is true. However, in my head at least, having no pulse rifles, no colonial marines, no motion scanners and, more importantly, no Aliens means its not an Alien movie IMO.
    So Alien wasn't an Alien movie?
  • SomaticSense 14 Feb 2013 12:09:05 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Had this conversation before, lots of tension and drama in Alien 3 just not from the alien like the first 2. We've seen the aliens they are not scary anymore, the tension and drama is in Ripleys situation. Losing her "adopted" daughter (second child she has lost) being stuck alone on a planet with crazy killers and rapists with an alien queen in her chest that the company is coming to get and without the courage to do it herself no way to die until she helps the crazies stop the loose alien somehow with no weapons.

    I get people don't the like 3 but there is plenty of tension and drama in there.
    It wasn't remotely as tense as the first film, but for me there was plenty of tension there.

    The tunnel trap scene is one major set piece which comes to mind when thinking of panicked drama and tension.
  • Page

    of 57 First / Last

Log in or register to reply