The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 47

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• damagedinc 14 Feb 2013 08:17:27 744 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seeing that demo/retail comparison makes me sad. this really could have been quite brilliant. just sounds like what was going to be a very good idea got pushed back due to development issues.

With care and attention and the demo visuals the game could have been huge. i am a big aliens fan but i know a number of mates who arent, who were looking forward to this as an alt to modern warfare shooters/halo and will now, not touch it.

as one 'sequel' to another much like Aliens 3, opportunity missed. Quite how such a promising franchise such as "ALIEN" has taken such a raping since "ALIENS" i have no idea.
  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 08:44:48 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About the "story" and that spoiler on the last page, just why did they switch Hicks' cryotube out for another, do they at least try to give a credible reason or is it really just cameo-fodder?...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Bealsy 14 Feb 2013 08:51:36 791 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That demo comparison makes me sad. At what point did they think "more bright lights and awful contrast, that's what this game needs"?

Another odd thing for me is that when you adjust the brightness like it tells you to, it just gets really undersaturated.

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 08:57:05 3,298 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    As one Neogaf user puts it, "Brandon Justice wins the Official Doritos Papal Hat Award For Ethics in Games Journalism."

Extra lols for the full screen Aliens advertisement splattered all over their site!

Thats outstanding. You can just imagine him defending himself :

"Your accusations are mis-guided, i genuinely enjoyed this game and it fully deserves 9/10. What?, oh, that solid gold car full of cash in my parking spot is just a gift from SEG.....uuumm....its not real!, its made from the same stuff as chocolate money!, in fact, i'm feeling quite peckish now, i'm just going to nip down there...."

/slowly drives away in solid gold car

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• mcmothercruncher 14 Feb 2013 09:09:21 7,026 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The TV advertising uses SFX, Zoo and the Mail Online as references... those bastions of videogaming reviewing ;)
  • Whizzo 14 Feb 2013 09:16:58 43,114 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The advert makes it look awesome, of course it's all rendered CGI and features absolutely no game footage.

Edited by Whizzo at 09:17:19 14-02-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• King_Edward 14 Feb 2013 09:23:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    About the "story" and that spoiler on the last page, just why did they switch Hicks' cryotube out for another, do they at least try to give a credible reason or is it really just cameo-fodder?...
    Can I ask who "they" is?
  • SClaw 14 Feb 2013 09:31:51 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    As one Neogaf user puts it, "Brandon Justice wins the Official Doritos Papal Hat Award For Ethics in Games Journalism."

Extra lols for the full screen Aliens advertisement splattered all over their site!

Thats outstanding. You can just imagine him defending himself :

"Your accusations are mis-guided, i genuinely enjoyed this game and it fully deserves 9/10. What?, oh, that solid gold car full of cash in my parking spot is just a gift from SEG.....uuumm....its not real!, its made from the same stuff as chocolate money!, in fact, i'm feeling quite peckish now, i'm just going to nip down there...."

/slowly drives away in solid gold car
    Wow... how is that guy allowed to work anywhere, ever? You see all those negative comments? If I was that website's editor I'd be shitting myself at all that negative press.

Edit: Oh... he IS the editor. What a fucking douche.

Edited by SClaw at 09:33:26 14-02-2013
  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 09:32:03 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @King_Edward:
    I haven't a clue, I just read that Hicks' cryotube got switched out before ejecting and so I imagine storywise it's the evil Weyland Yutani? I can't imagine it being the Sulaco computer replacing Hicks with a random dead guy it had locked in the freezer for just such an occasion...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• bad09 14 Feb 2013 09:39:33 5,892 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ....but you actually see Hicks dead in Alien3

:rolleyes:
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Feb 2013 09:43:56 1,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say I can't believe people are defending that EGM review but I can as people on the net get off defending something that is getting poor reviews. They ignore the giant Aliens background behind the review and fall back "on his opinion". Some retarded threads on 360achievement, gamers angrily defending with " I don't understand the hate/moaning"
  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 09:44:32 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bad09:
    Yes, but they just found a guy that was extremely similar to replace him...And the most notable feature of Hicks was his chest which was crushed to bits...And Ripley was still in shock when she saw the body...

And magic...

• pinebear 14 Feb 2013 09:45:16 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:

It was all an illusion!

• MetalDog 14 Feb 2013 09:49:47 23,697 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Let's face it, killing off Hicks and Newt like that was an arsehole decision anyway, so it's been pretty much a bullshit downhill ride since the second movie. Slamming together aliens with predator was fantard stuff as well. The Alien franchise has form for this kind of fuckery.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Mikeeeboy1 14 Feb 2013 09:51:04 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tried to give it a chance but after level 4 it's boring the shit out of me now.
    And yes the checkpointing makes it an even bigger slog to go through zzzzzzzzzzz!
  • Whizzo 14 Feb 2013 09:51:18 43,114 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What I find so baffling is the whole "it's the sequel to Aliens" thing that seemed to drive a lot of the game.

Now Aliens is my favourite film, I've watched it probably more than anything else, but I didn't want a sequel to it, I wanted a game featuring the Colonial Marines and the Aliens. There was no need to have the Sulaco, LV-426, Hadley's Hope or anything specifically from the film, just put it on another planet, ship or a space station and don't be restricted by nebulously trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole.

Have a Bishop and nods to the past but don't come up with fucking bullshit to try and make it "canon."

• AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 09:57:25 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So yeah, in the end, what explanation have they given for the colony surviving, Sulaco returning and Hicks being brought back?

@MD:
    Don't know if it was an arsehole decision TBH...It's a film-franchise about monsters out to kill you...I don't think a whole film of happy family vs monsters would've worked...
    Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters of Hicks and Newt and was sad to see them discarded so fast but it wasn't done just to appear as canon...

• the_dudefather 14 Feb 2013 10:00:43 9,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    What I find so baffling is the whole "it's the sequel to Aliens" thing that seemed to drive a lot of the game.

Now Aliens is my favourite film, I've watched it probably more than anything else, but I didn't want a sequel to it, I wanted a game featuring the Colonial Marines and the Aliens. There was no need to have the Sulaco, LV-426, Hadley's Hope or anything specifically from the film, just put it on another planet, ship or a space station and don't be restricted by nebulously trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole.

Have a Bishop and nods to the past but don't come up with fucking bullshit to try and make it "canon."
    It feels like the Ghostbusters game, which was also supposed to be a pseudo-sequel, except it spent most of it's time going 'Hey, remember THIS bit from the movies? you liked this thing right?'

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Whizzo 14 Feb 2013 10:00:57 43,114 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    So yeah, in the end, what explanation have they given for the colony surviving, Sulaco returning and Hicks being brought back?
    Heavy use of handwavium and bullshit.

• MetalDog 14 Feb 2013 10:08:57 23,697 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @AcidSnake
    If the opening of Aliens had been Ripley dead in her pod and a tapdancing facehugger sneaking on board the salvage ship, I'd have been equally disappointed.

• bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:09:43 5,892 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    bad09 wrote:

It was all an illusion!
    Or it was a dream and it was Bobby Ewing in Alien3
  • bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:13:07 5,892 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Let's face it, killing off Hicks and Newt like that was an arsehole decision anyway, so it's been pretty much a bullshit downhill ride since the second movie. Slamming together aliens with predator was fantard stuff as well. The Alien franchise has form for this kind of fuckery.
    Newt was killed off for a simple reason, the girl playing her grew up in the time between the 2 and I guess Hicks came along for the ride. Her death fits the tone and theme of Alien3 though.
  • MetalDog 14 Feb 2013 10:19:54 23,697 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What I wanted to see after Aliens was aliens getting to Earth (doubtless through corporate fuckery) and then a final film with them finding the aliens home planet - ultimate satisfaction I suspect being in a defeat of the corporation rather than genocide.

The only reason the age was a problem was because they chose to pick up the story immediately after Aliens - if they'd let a few years wing by in Aliens-time it wouldn't have been a problem. Discarding Hicks and Newt the way the did basically made huge chunks of Aliens an act of futility, which is deeply unsatisfying.

• AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 10:22:23 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MD:
    I'd hope that if the decision had been made to kill off Ripley for Aliens they'd have just not included her at all...Just have another ship check out the derelict...

Again, I was disappointed as well they were killed off but at the same time it would make no sense that all 3 dimensional characters survive automatically...

• bad09 14 Feb 2013 10:23:58 5,892 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:Discarding Hicks and Newt the way the did basically made huge chunks of Aliens an act of futility, which is deeply unsatisfying.
    Obviously the script is written around the fact they had to kill off Newt but that's kinda the point of Alien3, all of Aliens was an act of futility, Ripley didn't survive she lost the war :)
  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 10:27:45 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MD:
    Maybe this is more to your liking...
    Rejected Alien 3 script...

I read it a few years back, it's OK though they interfere a bit too much with the Alien lifecycle again...

• MetalDog 14 Feb 2013 10:28:33 23,697 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But they did survive, that was kind of the whole tension relief point of Aliens. I'm not saying they should have lived happily ever after and they could have killed them off via action in the next flick if they were part of the next flicks story, which they didn't have to be - the way they chose to handle it was just a bodge.

• Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 10:33:59 3,298 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it odd that iv'e seen every Aliens movie multiple times EXCEPT for Aliens3?

I own it, but i've never got around the watching it. Something tells me i shouldnt bother either.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• AcidSnake 14 Feb 2013 10:35:31 7,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wait, you've never seen it?
    Sorry about the spoilers then...

• SClaw 14 Feb 2013 10:36:04 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some of the expanded universe "sequal" books after Aliens were pretty good, as was the Alien vs Predator ones (set in the Aliens time period; you know, with guns and interesting sci-fi shit). It's always puzzled me why the films - and now games - never tried to use any of them pretty good material. I mean it's not high brow sci-fi but it's great action movie and game fodder. Although they did manage to shoehorn Ripley in somehow (as an andriod, I think? I forget).
  • Page

of 57 First / Last