The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread

• Page

of 57 First / Last

Previous
  • El_MUERkO 14 Feb 2008 11:33:58 17,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Gearbox's Aliens game" can now be referred to as Aliens: Colonial Marines. What, I hear you ask, no Aliens, no Predator, no vs? Not a big surprise: we've heard the game is based very closely on the look/feel of Jim Cameron's film and Syd Mead's designs.

Although Sega hasn't said much about the Aliens game that will be coming out, the developer for the game, Randy Pitchford at Gearbox, has let some of the cats out of the bag. The game, which is based on that classic sci-fi sequel by James Cameron, will be a first-person shooter that follows the character Colonial Marine, a soldier that accompanies Sigourney Weaver in the movie.

"Our game's about becoming a Colonial Marine, and looking at it from the Colonial Marines' perspective," explained Pitchford. The Colonial Marines battled the acid-blooded xenomorphs in Aliens, and were a template for the troopers who fight alongside the Master Chief in the Halo games.

Pitchford also mentions that even though there is communication between his company, Gearbox, and Obsidian Entertainment, the company that is responsible for making the upcoming RPG version of the Aliens game, both companies are taking two completely different directions. I can only assume one of them will do Alien vs. Predator, or is that just wishful thinking?

Fuck Predators, if they get the look and feel of Alien and Aliens right then I will send them a box of chocolates and a thank you note like a proper crazy person should! And it better have automated defense turrets and things that go 'blip'!
  • barchetta 14 Feb 2008 11:52:45 1,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If they can nail the abject terror and disorientation from the movies and the PS1 Argonaut game (sooo much better with the ps1 mouse) then I'll be interested.

Much of the movie played out like a game but I'm worried that care needs to be taken to maintain variety and authenticity.
  • Jeepers 14 Feb 2008 11:54:21 13,183 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    If they can nail the abject terror and disorientation from the movies and the PS1 Argonaut game (sooo much better with the ps1 mouse) then I'll be interested.

Much of the movie played out like a game but I'm worried that care needs to be taken to maintain variety and authenticity.

Agreed. It needs to have the sense of panic that accompanied the first alien encounter in Aliens. Random automatic panic fire ftw.
  • Hunam 14 Feb 2008 11:57:59 20,674 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So basically they are just making a full game out of AVP 1+2's marines chapters.

Not played a Gearbox game for a long while so not sure what to expect really.
  • smoothpete 14 Feb 2008 12:02:14 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really very excited about both of these. I had ideas for an Aliens RPG when I was a teenager, I'm so glad they're making one. I have high hopes! Please don't let me down
  • Tiger_Walts 14 Feb 2008 12:18:07 16,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How awesome would a co-op game be.

Think R6V with xenomorphs. Everyone gets to choose a load-out that suits their style of play and complements everyone else. That way one guy can get the motion tracker at the expense of say, extra ammunition, grenades or a side-arm. He'll have to inform the team over voice-comms of where the movement is. Of course everyone will be pestering him for updates anyway when they hear the damn thing pinging away.

Bonus points for yelling, "They're coming out of the god-damned walls!"

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Hunam 14 Feb 2008 12:19:16 20,674 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AVP1 had some co-op to it, it was awesome.
  • oceanmotion 14 Feb 2008 12:22:06 16,008 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Better not screw this up. Could be awesome.
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 13:54:14 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What this need:

1) Same viewpoint / cover dynamic as Rainbow Six Vegas. Same amount of detail on the Marines as on R6V's characters

2) NO FUCKING NEWT!

3) Set pieces involving taking control of the APC or the Dropship.

4) Involving single player. We don't want a fucking Aliens Deathmatch game ta.

5) Aliens that show intelligent AI. They flank, they sneak, they surround. They will try and get round you and take you from the shadows if they think they can.

6) Some sort of fluid dynamic system to ensure that, if you get too close when one of the bad guys buys it, you suffer damage (and proper damage, not just a health bar shrinking)

7) ALL of the original weapons from the film, the pulse rifle, the autoguns, ALL with the original sound effects from the film and the original functionality (weapon ammo counts being shown with digital readouts, underslung grenade launcher on the pulse rifle etc)

8) Bishop as an AI character that can be set up / controlled to do specific tasks (like crack door codes etc)

9) Screw Ripley. Unless this is based on one of the films we don't need her in it.

10) Jesper Kydd to rework the Aliens theme and for that to feature in the game as incidentals / dramatic music snippets.

Edit: TW - You spooky bugger, get out of my brain WRT R6V
  • smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 14:16:20 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why would you need a cover system?
  • phAge 18 Feb 2008 14:27:16 24,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You all seem to be forgetting that an Alien-game done "right" would be too damn scary to play. Remember the first marine section in AvP1? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THAT FREAKED OUT AGAIN?!
  • phAge 18 Feb 2008 14:27:53 24,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    +1

Not exactly like hiding behind a low wall is a brilliant anti-alien tactic...
  • smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 14:42:01 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also I think that the R6:V FPS thing is too slow, too clunky. It's great but it was designed for tactical shooting of bad guys who are shooting back. And I have grown to hate the click RS to aim down the sights thing. I slightly sped up CoD4 system would be great for me I think
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Feb 2008 14:47:55 16,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, Colonial Marines weren't trained for this sort of shit. More for putting down rebellious outposts. I'd expect a few of these sorts of missions to lead you in. Pointless for a bug-hunt though.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 14:48:22 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know that bit in Aliens where they pick up the signals from the colonists and go down into the bowels of the terraform place, just after they've had to give it all their ammo. The bit where the first alien, who had been disguised as a bit of wall, jumps off and onto someone's back... If they can recreate that in the game I will shit my pants. Can you imagine? The claustrophobia, the panic, all that. Oh yes. Oh very yes.
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 14:48:32 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Also I think that the R6:V FPS thing is too slow, too clunky. It's great but it was designed for tactical shooting of bad guys who are shooting back. And I have grown to hate the click RS to aim down the sights thing. I slightly sped up CoD4 system would be great for me I think

I'd be happy with that if they put a cover dynamic that didn't suck in...

• pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 14:49:40 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    +1

For realism's sake. Though conversely, this is a game - why not have one?

It was (IMHO) COD4's only weak point.
  • smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 14:57:14 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    +1

For realism's sake. Though conversely, this is a game - why not have one?

It was (IMHO) COD4's only weak point.
    I disagree, why put something in that has little use? I don't think CoD4 needed one, I think it would have been a poorer game if they implemented a cover system just for the sake of it. They'd have had to have changed the gameplay to take it into account.

These are bitey, chompy, acid-blooded aliens here! they don't fire projectiles. Plus, by the very nature of the creature, it HAS to be a fairly twitchy shooter. Imagine trying to shoot a face-hugger coming at you with a strategic shooter system. I just can't see it

And, if I may, you'd moan like hell if they screwed this game up, as will I, so I reckon Occam's Razor, keep it simple and bare-bones but just concentrate on making what is there as good as it can possibly be. And as true to the films as possible
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 15:17:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmm I'll have to agree to disagree with you here Petey-boy. Despite the aliens being pretty much effective killing machines, I damn well know that if I saw one of the buggers running towards me and I was standing next to a wall, I wouldn't stand in the middle of the doorway shouting "Sorry, I can't dodge behind this wall! I just can't because you're too efficient a killing machine for me!"

What I don't want this to end up like is AVP -

What I DEFINITELY don't want this to end up like is Alien 3 - The Gun.

Because Gearbox are involved, I'm slightly optimistic but because Sega are too, I've got this horrible itchy feeling at the base of my coccyx that this is going to be achingly intensely disappointing.

So I'm just getting my rattle-chucking-out-of-pram stuff out of the way now :)

• smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 15:24:02 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah but if you were hid behind a wall, then some chompy fucker popped out in front of you, you're fucked, you wouldn't then be able to go "leave cover" and spin around and get with the shooting fast enough :)

I know what you mean though, I've been waiting for this game forever, if they fuck it up it will be a travesty. However, I remain positive.
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 15:26:07 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup trying to remain optimistic. Gotta be better than "yet another" AVP game though, whatever happens.

As a quick straw poll what would people prefer? 3rd or first person view (or switchable) ?

Personal preference: third person a la Gears of War.

• smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 15:27:43 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First. The RPG will probably be third person I imagine
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 15:30:53 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lest we forget what could've been...

One

two

Three

Four

Five

six

Seven
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 15:36:40
    Cover systems? Whatever happened to the 'crouch' and/or 'strafe' buttons!?
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2008 15:38:15 43,197 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the alien blood is correctly modelled then being able to use cover is essential.

This space left intentionally blank.

• smoothpete 18 Feb 2008 15:41:26 31,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just don't want a cover system where you have to press a button to access it, it definitely shouldn't be that kind of game. Strafe / duck should be more than good enough, as disussedgenius says
  • [maven] 18 Feb 2008 15:42:17 5,182 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want this with proper coop. That'd be nice.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 15:46:10
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Lest we forget what could've been...

One

two

Three

Four

Five

six

Seven

That looks horrid. o_0
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 16:12:01 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Cover systems? Whatever happened to the 'crouch' and/or 'strafe' buttons!?

I'd settle for crouch.

SJH - it should look horrid, that was the canned PS2 version - but at least they had the motion tracker right :)
  • phAge 18 Feb 2008 16:12:51 24,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Hmmm I'll have to agree to disagree with you here Petey-boy. Despite the aliens being pretty much effective killing machines, I damn well know that if I saw one of the buggers running towards me and I was standing next to a wall, I wouldn't stand in the middle of the doorway shouting "Sorry, I can't dodge behind this wall! I just can't because you're too efficient a killing machine for me!"

So you'd rather be shouting "hello Mr. Alien - as you can see I'm taking cover behind this doorway, in a way not seen in any of the movies in which you star, as I feel that taking the time to do this, instead of blasting your banana-shaped head to a mush, is the sensible thing to do"?

I'm sorry, but having a cover-system would mean that the gameplay would be slowed down immensely, which would again mean that the aliens would have to be gimped. Think of Gears - how often did you use cover when fighting Wraiths (those screaming buggers)? I just can't see how you'd implement a cover-system that was fast and fluent enough to be of any use when fighting ultra-fast aliens.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last

Previous