portable video - PSP or iPod Touch?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Ciaran 13 Feb 2008 12:56:10 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, basically I just want a decent quality, easy to use portable video player. But I really have no idea which would be a better buy..

If I got the PSP I'd finally be able to play some of the games I've had an eye on, so that would be good. But since I don't have an MP3-player yet, if I buy the iPod I can plug it into the car stereo and have shitloads of music at my fingertips. This would also be good.

See, I can't decide. Which of the two would you ppl say is the best video player? Or should I be looking at something else entirely?

/scratches head
  • kalel 13 Feb 2008 12:57:48 86,955 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ipod is way better, but for movies on the go Archos beats both hands down.

PSP is all about games. Itís nice that you can stick a movie and some music on there as well, but itís really not good specifically for these things.
  • manuel_garcia 13 Feb 2008 12:59:41 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll second the vote for an Archos player if it's just video/music that you want. Beats both the PSP and ipod easily for that particular combo.
  • Ciaran 13 Feb 2008 12:59:58 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    'Archos' you say?

/googles

Oooooh pretty!
  • Dizzy 13 Feb 2008 13:18:44 2,644 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Archos is indeed awesome. I also love the Touch for small size and great screen.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2008 13:42:04
    I don't like the physical design, the interface, or the size of the Archos, but will concede that it wipes the floor with the iPod touch in terms of the ease of getting pretty much every kind of video you can think of onto it, and subsequently playing it. And the storage capacity. And the price.
  • Ciaran 13 Feb 2008 13:50:45 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been browsing their site a bit and I must say the 705 especially is really tempting, though it may be a bit too big to carry around easily. I guess I should go see if I can find some shops who stock this here in Belgium, so I can get some hands-on before I order one off the net.

I can't believe I hadn't heard of these before. EG collective comes through again. Thanks, guys!
  • Carbon_Altered 13 Feb 2008 13:56:11 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I vote Archos too

Also worth buying the widget that lets you record stuff off the TV straight onto the archos.
  • neil74 13 Feb 2008 14:45:39 2,306 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IMO the archos fails on one count which is that it just is not portable enough in my opinion. Try putting that in the inside pocket of your suit or coat, ditto the PSP (which I own) and the PSP's screen also falls slightly short imo.

It all comes down to horses for courses, if size does not matter then the archos may be for you. imo though the ipod touch whilst not perfect is currently peerless in this area of the market.
  • THFourteen 13 Feb 2008 14:49:16 33,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i own a psp and a ipod touch (and i've seen an archos605 in the shop)

the archos i didn't even consider, its too big for my trouser pockets - talking work trousers rather than baggy jeans here. i dont want to lug it around.

the psp is great but you'll need at least a 4gb memory stick, and then you'll find that you want to put games on the memory card and music and you'll run out of space.

the itouch is fantastic for video and music, the interface is quality, you can literally whip it out, watch whatever for 2 minutes while waiting for the tube and get rid of it again in 10 seconds.

also if you're handy with hacking, you can play GBA/SNES/SCUMMVM games pretty well on it, although with a lack of a d-pad you're limited to RPG/strategy games really.

and now theres a 32gb version

get touched!

edit: @ the above, yeah you have to convert all your videos using videora to watch them on the touch, but I don't find it that hard. set up 10 before you go to bed (one-click convert takes 30 seconds for a video) and they're added to itunes automatically by the time you wake up.
  • neil74 13 Feb 2008 14:55:29 2,306 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    handbrake also has an "add to itunes feature" Out of interest anybody know if this still works if you manage your itunes library via an external HD? or will it just put them in the default folder on your core drive? I am mac btw.
  • Messiac 13 Feb 2008 14:55:49 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stuff magazine had a feature on this topic recently, the Ipod Touch came out as the clear winner if my memory severs me correctly.

Having both devices myself, I would definitely say the Touch gives some of the best portable video performance available.
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2008 14:58:04 10,884 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess it all really depends on what's most important.

For me, the ability to play games too, outweighs the comparative bulk of the PSP. The screen is bigger and IMO pretty good. You're able to play films off UMD or memory stick, although as pointed out, you will have to keep updating the memory stick because at best you'll only be able to get 8gb of data on it.

Clearly if your focus is music and movies, I'm sure the touch will be great.
  • THFourteen 13 Feb 2008 14:59:07 33,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh this may or may not be relevant but web browsing on the touch is brilliant, fast, and the interface is great. psp web browsing is rubbish IMO
  • kalel 13 Feb 2008 15:01:01 86,955 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can get a 160GB Archos for less than a 32GB touch. No contest really.

There are some smaller models available as well (in terms of unit size). itís true that theyíre not as potable as an ipod though.
  • THFourteen 13 Feb 2008 15:02:10 33,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:

There are some smaller models available as well (in terms of unit size). itís true that theyíre not as potable as an ipod though.

but then it IS a contest

its number of GB vs portability :-P
  • kalel 13 Feb 2008 15:04:51 86,955 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:

but then it IS a contest

Iíd advise getting a regular ipod over a touch to be honest. the touch really doesnít justify its price by a long way. Donít get me wrong, lovely lovely bit of kit, but if youíre using it as a movie device even 32GB doesnít get you very far, and 16GB is a joke, especially if you want to keep your music on it as well.

Youíre better off with an 80GB or 160GB vipod; bigger, cheaper and more portable.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2008 15:05:56
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:

but then it IS a contest

It's true - that's the contest that went on in my wallet, and portability won. I've got 2 series of South Park, 2 series on Alan Partridge and all the music I want to carry around with me (hundreds of albums and room to spare) on my 16GB iPod touch which barely makes an impact on my pocket, whereas the Archos is just not really for pockets - not comfortably so, anyway.
  • kalel 13 Feb 2008 15:11:54 86,955 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The OP didnít have an interest (that he expressed ) in Wifi so the normal ipod is clearly a better choice than the touch imo, unless heís not that bothered about portability in which case he should get the Archos (which has wifi as well).
  • neil74 13 Feb 2008 15:22:13 2,306 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When the touch was launched I shouted very loudly about how 16gb did not cut it and for how I used to manage my pod it doesn't (I doubt 32gb would either)

I have changed how I manage my itunes and I did end up keeping my 5.5g ipod too. I have ipod touch videos and an ipod touch music playlists and just put what I want on the touch in them, the music lists hardly changes as I cherry picked the killers and cut the fillers from most albums. I now have all of itunes on my 5.5g pod (which I barely use now) and update the touch as and when. I have found that 16gb holds more than I thought it would too.

When a 64gb touch arrives I will likely upgrade but will skip the 32gb. You never know if they include 3g and MMS and drop the 18 month contract I may even buy an iphone one day! I actually think that the touch's real competition will come from the mobile phone market and I have no doubt that they are all beavering away on iphone killers.
  • Ciaran 13 Feb 2008 16:45:12 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The OP...

o/ present!

WiFi doesn't bother me much either way. As far as portability goes, I would like my new gadget to be small, but it doesn't have to be tiny. I'd probably be lugging it around in my laptop bag or briefcase, I hardly ever use my pockets for anything, 'cept money and my keys.

Battery life, storage, video/audio quality and how well I'll be able to read subtitles are really the main selling points for me.

Am I right in thinking the Archos will play MPG, AVI and WMV files without having to convert them?
  • DodgyPast 13 Feb 2008 21:10:28 8,448 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With 16Bg ( though expensive ) memory on it's way for the sony then I think it does it's job as a games /video player that also does music really well.

Since I'm skint I use my PSP as an in car CD player.

It's limited, but if your happy with a bunch of tracks and random play it's very feasible.
  • Dixons 13 Feb 2008 21:16:59 1,230 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iPod Touch, no question! PSPlol and all that.

I currently have a perfect working order 30GB 5th gen video iPod, but I'm having to fight off the desire to get a 32GB iPod Touch, with every fibre of my being. Films just look so much better on it than they do on the regular iPod's!
  • coastal 13 Feb 2008 21:17:01 5,382 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you need iTunes to move files on to a iPod Touch? sorry for what must seem a dumb question but i'm a rank outsider when it comes to ipods.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Razz 13 Feb 2008 21:18:52 61,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get an Archos man! FFS. iPod or PSP indeed! :D

And the 605 fit perfectly in anyones pocket unless you wear those tight "fashion" jeans. Poof. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Dixons 13 Feb 2008 21:20:02 1,230 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Archos' are a no-no when you wear a suit to work
  • Razz 13 Feb 2008 21:22:29 61,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    o_O The Archos 605 fits perfectly in my inside blazer pocket.

• Dixons 13 Feb 2008 21:25:13 1,230 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, maybe so.

Meh, what can I say, the Touch'll do me just fine, when my current iPod eventually chokes and dies. Hopefully soon...

/'Accidentally' stands on it. Again
  • Razz 13 Feb 2008 21:34:01 61,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess I prefer the Archos coz it plays pretty much anything. No faffing about with any software. Just plug it in and drag and drop your divx files, mpeg files, avi files whatever on to it. And it plays flash files too! I've got the xiao xiao stickam nfight on mine. Fucking awesome. The battery life is astounding too, I get about 5-6 hours of continous video on it on one full charge.And since I've been cycling to work and using it as a n MP3 player, I haven't charged it for more than a week. :D and it works great for carting large files around too that you don't want to burn up or can't fit on just one DVD . I used it recently to move 40-oddGb of data of a friends HD so he could format the drive and reinstall his OS. Handy little thing.

• Dixons 13 Feb 2008 21:50:25 1,230 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well it's true that the iPod isn't as out of the box video file compatable as some would like, but overnight Videora queuing is your friend! ;)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous