Etrian Odyssey 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • MadMirko 13 Feb 2008 08:11:11 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just one week to the Japanese release, and we still don't have a thread. So here goes:

Official site
    - Clips

Famitsu review:

* Well-balanced, you can't let your guard down even against small fry
    * Mapping is fun
    * Happy about upgraded tools
    * Compass addition is a plus
    * One quicksave slot
    * Skill balance is tweaked, jobs are more varied than last time

9/9/8/8

As you got a password at the end of the first one, I guess there is something to unlock in the sequel. And yes, Yuzo Koshiro did the music again.
  • Mageme 13 Feb 2008 08:52:21 2,047 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd buy this just for Yuzo Koshiro!

Looks good though the point about not letting your guard down against small fry seems kinda mute, seeing as that was also the case with the first game (until you levelled up that is).

Still looking forward to this! Are there going to be more annoying F.O.E.'s?

/listens to F.O.E. song... heheh, funny.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• MadMirko 13 Feb 2008 09:03:33 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Famitsu reviews are usually not very good, but I just read about it and so it ended up here. :)

The only interesting thing for me is that it scored slightly higher than the previous game (with 8/8/8/8), but because those were most likely different reviewers it might not mean anything.

Let's just hope Atlus US announces a localized version soon.

EDIT: And yes, the music was / is going to be awesome. A pair of decent headphones is a must, thanks to the sad little DS speakers.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 13 Feb 2008 09:16:01 7,301 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still haven't picked up the first one, is it worth it or should I wait and just get the sequel?
  • MadMirko 13 Feb 2008 09:23:34 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EO is an awesome dungeon crawler. The thread for the original game is full of praise, so it's not just me. :)

If you like this type of game, by all means go for it. Part 2 could take a while to arrive, because so far there has been no word of a US release. I don't doubt it will come, but maybe they haven't even started, yet.
  • Genji 13 Feb 2008 12:21:13 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never finished the first one (well, not the "real" ending), but
    I'll pick up the Japanese version here and give it a whirl. Will let you know how it turns out.
  • FabricatedLunatic 13 Feb 2008 12:25:25 13,040 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm. This reminds me that I have the first one somewhere. Must dig it out and have a go.
  • MadMirko 13 Feb 2008 14:05:25 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    I'll pick up the Japanese version here and give it a whirl. Will let you know how it turns out.

Yes, please!

BTW, is that trailer you can watch on the official site also in Japanese TV? I can't imagine this game is heavily marketed, but it should be. :(
  • Genji 13 Feb 2008 14:07:02 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    Genji wrote:

Yes, please!

BTW, is that trailer you can watch on the official site also in Japanese TV? I can't imagine this game is heavily marketed, but it should be. :(
    I haven't seen it, but then, I don't watch a whole lot of Japanese TV.
  • Lutz 13 Feb 2008 14:10:09 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Although EO is a great game, I feel it's too hard for no real reason other than pitting you against rock hard monsters. It's just hard for the sake of being hard. "Levelling up" was not something I particularly enjoyed in the 90's, and it sure as hell ain't fun anymore.

:(
  • MadMirko 21 Feb 2008 18:53:27 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:

*cough*

:)
  • Genji 22 Feb 2008 02:22:07 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    Genji wrote:

*cough*

:)
    Yeah yeah. I do have a job, you know. :-)
  • steveb07 22 Feb 2008 09:49:37 881 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crap, I still haven't finished the first one.

Whenever someone mentions a game on these forums I have yet to finish it makes we want to pick it up again. I've been having a good go at my 'pile of shame' but at the moment I'm totally immersed in Bioshock now I have fiddled with the settings enough to get a frame rate Iím happy with.

The joys of PC gamingÖÖ

I will no doubt import this from the States once itís released.

PSN: IIIQuid

• MadMirko 22 Feb 2008 18:46:52 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Yeah yeah. I do have a job, you know. :-)

You need to work on those priorities. :)

On a more serious note, EO2 seems to sell quite nicely. Half of the shipment has been sold on day 1 (50k copies), according to Sinobi. You have yours already, don't you?

EDIT: The original sold 31702 copies in its first week. Last we heard it was 119584, which means it must have gotten extremely good word of mouth. No wonder EO2 had such a great start. \o/
  • Genji 23 Feb 2008 03:08:54 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have it now. I played it last night. There's a lot of kanji and difficult words, so it's a bit hard for me to tell exactly what is going on, but here's what I think so far...

It seems like a case of "if it ain't broke...". Everything feels very, very similar to the last game. I think that this is a good thing, but opinions may vary. There haven't been any noticeable graphical improvements, for example. The dungeon looks the same as ever, just with different colours. There are new enemy sprites, but I haven't seen any extra animation for them... yet.

There's a new town, new quests, and new classes that I haven't tried out yet. I might try making a party with a Gunner in it, just to see what that's like.

My first sojourn into the dungeon was very much like my first time in the last game. At first, the layout of the first level felt exactly like the first level in EO1, to the point where I began wondering if it actually was the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. There were differences after a while, though.

Also, like the first time in EO1, I didn't bother to save before going in. Because I'm stupid. There's a very nasty trap on the first level that will be familiar to anyone who went through the first game. Only it's a little different, this time.

I'll put more things up when I find them out. I've got Apollo Justice coming soon, so that may not be for a day or two. :-)
  • MadMirko 23 Feb 2008 09:25:34 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent. The only thing that needed (some) fixing, IMHO, were the mapping restrictions (no differently colored floor tiles and the maximum number of objects and annotations was too low), the missing quicksave and maybe the shop interface.

From what I hear they have addressed those and left the rest the way it should be.

Did you start from scratch, or did you use your password from part I?
  • Genji 23 Feb 2008 09:50:49 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    Did you start from scratch, or did you use your password from part I?
    ...did you get that password when you finished the "main" game, or afterwards? I don't remember getting a password.

And if I did get one, it might not be transferable between different language versions. I played the first one in English.
  • MadMirko 24 Feb 2008 08:53:28 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The "retrieve password" option is available once you beat the main game (from the options menu), I don't know if it changes to reflect progress in the "bonus" content.

I suspect the passwords are not compatible across language versions, as I saw someone on niconico input one on his Japanese copy and it included hiragana. My own password doesn't and I don't remember if the English copy even allowed to input them.
  • opalw00t 11 Mar 2008 10:46:48 11,308 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got any info on an English localised version?

not a force for good

• toy_brain 28 Mar 2008 09:45:40 1,256 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Atlus have announced its coming to the US in June!
    More details over at www.dsfanboy.com for those that are interested.

Wohooo!

Edit: Direct linkage.
    http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/27/etrian-odyssey-ii-coming-to-na-in-june
  • hoof 28 Mar 2008 10:11:57 823 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent news, the first is one of my favourite DS games.
  • MadMirko 8 May 2008 14:06:30 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1 up has a preview which I just found out. It's a great piece with good info.

In fact, refinement is the name of the game; EOII is, even at this early stage of the quest, a massive improvement over its predecessor.

(On customization:)

Those options pale next to what's possible in the sequel, though. For starters, all but one character class is available from the outset, including the first game's hidden classes and two new types, Gunner and War Magus. (A third new class, Beast, is only available after completing the first stratum -- that is, the first five floors.) And all characters are capable of investing skill points in any statistic rather than in class-specific talents; should you wish, your Alchemist can now improve her physical strength instead of just her spell techniques. Class-specific skills have been heavily revised, removing some exploits and crutches that gamers tended to rely on in the original.

Can't wait!
  • bef 13 Jun 2008 14:56:31 1,642 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Silly old me: I've just pre-ordered this game. I've never played old school rpg's before but the enthusiasm of you lot made me decide to just go for it.

Thing is: is this a game that can be understood by a novice, immediately from the start? Or do you have to be an experienced player to understand the flow and necessary strategy of the game?

I mean, I love stuff like the card game Magic, even though I never play it because my friends aren't into it. Meaning I'm into the theme, setting and idea of games like this. It's just that I've never tried them before.

I've read here that it's hard. But in what way? Hard because you really have to perfect your 'team' to succeed or hard because the enemies you encounter are nasty?

Thanks!
  • itamae 13 Jun 2008 15:07:31 9,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bef wrote:
    I've read here that it's hard. But in what way? Hard because you really have to perfect your 'team' to succeed or hard because the enemies you encounter are nasty?
    Both. In contrast to most other RPGs, any group of enemies can easily defeat you if you are careless. You have to pay attention to elemental affinities, use buff/debuff skills, manage your skill points carefully, actually use the defend command from time to time, and run away when things get too tough. It's a lot like 80s/90s CRPGs in that respects, although it's quite a bit more fair than those games.
  • bef 13 Jun 2008 15:15:37 1,642 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    You have to pay attention to elemental affinities, use buff/debuff skills,

CRPG's?

/Wonders what he has gotten himself into.

/Smirks with anticipation.

(Can you actually smirk that way?)

Cheers!
  • itamae 13 Jun 2008 15:30:21 9,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CRPGs = them creaky old computer RPGs of yore, like Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry and so on. Now those games were unforgiving.
  • MadMirko 13 Jun 2008 20:47:50 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    CRPGs = them creaky old computer RPGs of yore, like Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry and so on. Now those games were unforgiving.

Ah, Bard's Tale. That bastard autosaved as soon as a party member died. One of my first RPGs, and still one of my favourites. Eye of the Beholder kinda sticks out of your list, though. That is pretty modern and a lot easier. Almost casual. ;)
  • itamae 13 Jun 2008 20:59:51 9,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The C64 version didn't autosave. It only saved characters (including dead ones) when you removed them from the party. That system was totally open to abuse. \o/

It was still crazy hard though, even with "cheating". I remember spending two hours on creating a party just to run into a group of eight barbarians on my way out of the guild. Painful memories.
  • MadMirko 13 Jun 2008 21:14:19 2,974 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did you play Devil Whiskey? I always meant to, but it never happened.

To me it's almost ironic how these kinds of games now seem to be rooted in Japan when they originally where seen as typical WRPGs.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous