Rate the last game you played out of 10 Page 16

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Jazzy_Geoff 2 Jun 2010 16:57:58 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GoW 1

went back to this after playing the collection a bit before GoW 3 and not really liking it

Now I can do the combat this game is amazing. Somehow the spectacle seems just as grand (esp the external bits of pandora's temple) as the third one and the game perhaps is even slightly better.

9.5/10 even by todays standards

And I still have GoW2 untouched!
  • Gruff 2 Jun 2010 17:30:58 2,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting into the concept of not buying games on day 1, and instead paying peanuts for them a few months later.

Lost Odyssey £5 7/10 terrific value for money

Assassins Creed 2 £15 8/10 Turn on the Italian dialogue and you could almost be in medieval Italy (apart form the insane freerunning which i seem to have missed in my history textbooks)

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Luckyjim 2 Jun 2010 17:34:08 2,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Getting into the concept of not buying games on day 1, and instead paying peanuts for them a few months later.

Lost Odyssey £5 7/10 terrific value for money

Assassins Creed 2 £15 8/10 Turn on the Italian dialogue and you could almost be in medieval Italy (apart form the insane freerunning which i seem to have missed in my history textbooks)

+1 for the Italian language track. Developers need to realise how much more immersive it can make a game.
  • Cappy 2 Jun 2010 17:54:04 12,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Grand Theft Auto IV

Why they stubbornly refuse to put in concessions like proper checkpointing and instant quick travel between locations so I don't have to experience the joy of pootling along in traffic tailbacks is beyond me.

Er you do know you can hail cabs, get in the back as a passenger, select your destination and then skip the journey, which is more or less quick travelling and saves you doing a lot of driving to and from places/missions. It's also useful when you're too drunk to drive (both in the game and IRL).

Yes, later on when I was flush with cash I was doing that all the time.

Sadly you often seem to end up nowhere where with no cabs in sight or even more annoying about eight in a row not stopping because they were already carrying fares.

What's better?

/Hail cab, run over and jump in the back
    /Load cab interior scene
    /Select destination and opt for quick travel option
    /Load arrival at destination scene

Or alternately
    /Select destination
    /Load destination scene

One load versus two and less bullshit to deal with when you just want to take another crack at the latest difficulty spike.
  • Gruff 2 Jun 2010 18:58:46 2,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GTA IV had a magnificenly realised world (i would spend time just walking around the streets, just taking in the atmosphere, as mad as that sounds.

Even though i completed the story, stuff like AI driving (how many Taxi cab drives ended in vehicular chaos for example) and also for such an immersive world there really wasn't much to discover behind its knooks a crannies left the merest hint of a sour taste in my mouth.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• LionheartDJH 2 Jun 2010 22:13:30 19,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Grand Theft Auto IV

Why they stubbornly refuse to put in concessions like proper checkpointing and instant quick travel between locations so I don't have to experience the joy of pootling along in traffic tailbacks is beyond me.

Er you do know you can hail cabs, get in the back as a passenger, select your destination and then skip the journey, which is more or less quick travelling and saves you doing a lot of driving to and from places/missions. It's also useful when you're too drunk to drive (both in the game and IRL).

Yes, later on when I was flush with cash I was doing that all the time.

Sadly you often seem to end up nowhere where with no cabs in sight or even more annoying about eight in a row not stopping because they were already carrying fares.

What's better?

/Hail cab, run over and jump in the back
    /Load cab interior scene
    /Select destination and opt for quick travel option
    /Load arrival at destination scene

Or alternately
    /Select destination
    /Load destination scene

One load versus two and less bullshit to deal with when you just want to take another crack at the latest difficulty spike.

I thought it struck a nice balance between immersion and functionality, but I see your point, it can be quite annoying when there are no cabs around (though the Roman taxi option is available for the majority of the game).

Also +1 for the Italian voice track in ACII. Italian is a lovely language and it makes the game a lot more immersive. Only issue really is when you come back to the present day and everybody is speaking Italian and you can't change the language from the in-game options screen. But I just exit the game and change the language to English, then back to Italian again when I'm back in the Animus. Guess I'm quite fussy about it but that's the way I like to do it.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Darren 2 Jun 2010 23:00:59 8,938 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption - 10/10

Likely to be my personal Game of the Year as I rate it higher than the excellent Mass Effect 2 and God of War III, two of my other favourite games of 2010.

Blur - 8/10

Very simple game but very addictive. Oddly runs and plays far better on the 360 than it does on my uber PC. Hmfph!

Split/Second - 9/10

What a game... low on depth but high on thrills. Unexpectedly brilliant. Could do to run a little better on the PC though.

Alpha Protocol - 5/10

Not terrible but not great either. The epitome of Averageness really.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 2 June 2010 23:14:17
    Yakuza 3 (5/10)

Nothing special to look at, overall design is okay but visually quite basic. The controls during combat are easy to get to grips with but consist mainly of button bashing and moments of frustration as you try to turn or line attacks up.

The story isn't especially complex but the game makes it hard to follow with longwinded dialogue and a multitude of cut scenes. There is a lot of text to scroll through and although sometimes humerous it's usually very dull and tedious.

Overall the game is overly long and doesn't offer enough excitement or reward for something that demonstrates little variety as you slowly progress.
  • Bremenacht 9 Jun 2010 08:32:43 18,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncharted 2 - 9/10
    Easily the most hi-fi imaging I've seen on a console so far. The quality of detail and colouring is quite amazing. Nice characters and acting. Decent puzzling & exploring but it's all a bit too pointed - pick the route which doesn't involve jumping to your death and you'll usually be on the right path. I liked the notebook and the hint system - neither make solutions too obvious. Combat, stealth and the cover system aren't as good as the rest of the game, with moving between cover being a bit fiddly at times, and stealth being clumsy at times. I suspect combat will be better on a harder difficulty, and maybe enemies would be a bit less deaf and blind on a harder difficulty too. Not tried MP yet.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Jun 2010 08:39:51 14,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption
    10 without doubt.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Lutz 9 Jun 2010 08:41:23 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RDR. Still early days, but 9/10 and probable GOTY. Got a couple of niggles that stop the 10. Like not being able to capture, break and sell horses FFS!
  • buggrit 9 Jun 2010 09:35:40 5,179 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another to the chorus of 10/10 for Red Dead Redemption

Some small bugs and glitches aside, the sheer depth of stuff to do added to the quality storyline and some very good characters, plonked into a totally believable and at some points breathtakingly beautiful Wild West setting - definite win for me. One of the best open-world games of all time, one of Rockstar's best games, probably my game of the year.
  • afghan_jones 9 Jun 2010 09:36:24 3,041 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RDR is awesome in many ways but with the exception of the very beginning and very end, the story and characters are unbelievably shit.

As a world to play around and immerse yourself in, its incredible but I wouldnt say GoTY by a long shot as the story is so rotten.
  • dancingrob 9 Jun 2010 10:07:12 1,186 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Split/Second - 8/10

I've now 'finished' the main game, had a couple of brief online sessions, and have lots of remaining things to mop up, which I'll eventually get round to.

I've never been a massive race game fan, but really enjoyed the demo so picked this one up. It has a good sense of speed, and the powerplays causing others to crash are spectacular on some levels, less so on others.

The basic racing and elimination modes are excellent, with the rubber banding AI meaning you're never completely safe / out of things. This does lead to frustration at times, but works well more often than not.

Survival Mode is also very interesting, basically chasing and overtaking trucks loaded with bombs around a wide circuit.

Detonator is a fairly standard time trial mode, where powerplays are set off around you. The idea is fine, but the requirements for first place are exceptionally difficult, and could have been a little more forgiving.

The final two modes are far less successful, as a helicopter fires missiles at you as you drive round the tracks, having the opportunity to launch them back at the chopper in one of the modes. These are both far too similar, and occasionally suffer from putting you in situations where destruction is unavoidable. Could have done without both modes really, and 'Air Revenge' in particular felt like a 'Will this do?' kind of idea.

All in all, a solid racer, and one that'll probably be played regularly for a while yet.

• S.J.Rogers 9 Jun 2010 10:22:01 3,557 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption.

10/10

WOW, this is haw to make a game that i enjoy.

I got fed up with GTA4 nd always enjoyed Saints Row 1/2 more but RDR is just a fantasic game with a world full of things to do and a story to really be a part of.

I want to be a Cowboy now.

/Puts on Chaps. Yee Har..!
  • Fat_Pigeon 9 Jun 2010 10:41:56 9,827 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Red Dead 8/10,

Very Good, but story lacks a little, and over all its far to easy, even with expert targeting.

the things to do outside the main game are really quite boring hunting down and skinning animals is really really boring.

however the treasure maps are cool.

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 9 Jun 2010 12:11:07 1,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been replaying older games recently...

Project Gotham Racing 4
    8/10
    Retains the classic gameplay of the older PGRs. That glorious sound of kudos ratcheting; the great handling; the sense of speed. Bikes are a welcome addition, fun to drive without damaging the game. And the career mode is well done.

It does somehow lack the charm of previous games though, especially 1 and 3, my favourites. I think it's how you get cars: too many available at once, with little sense of achievement or ownership. But it's still a cracking arcade racer.

Fable II
    10/10
    The best thing about this game is it's a hardcore game that casual players can enjoy. Everything about it is designed to be fun, to make you love playing it. There's a surprising depth behind initially simplistic mechanics, and a wonderful simplicity to potentially complicated elements. Combat's a dream, the world is vast and varied, and the stylised graphics are great.

It's not without faults: it can get repetetive, the style might not be for everyone, the menu system is atrocious, and it can be quite easy (the financial system is flawed). But it's just so much fun, especially in co-op. Roll on Fable III.
  • gman7714 9 Jun 2010 14:10:12 319 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mass Effect 2 9/10

Huge improvement on the 1st game especially graphically, though I did prefer the storyline in the first game. Would of got 10/10 had it not been for the chore that was scanning for materials and the human reaper ending

Batman AA 10/10

Wow - what a quality game! Great atmosphere, brilliant voice acting, superb graphics and some nice puzzles. This, Gears of War 1 and the original Bioshock are my top games of this generation. Closely followed by ME1&2 and CODMW1

• Doomspoon 11 Jun 2010 13:58:20 2,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I ordered Dante's Inferno for about £13 new the other day, it's arrived today. I've played it for about 40 mins and so far have really enjoyed it. I'm not a massive fan of this genre, but this has clicked for me. I've only played Chains of Olympus on PSP but welcome the right stick evasion on a joypad, I trust this was present in the PS2/3 versions of GoW? I'm not sure how long it'd be before it got repetitive but first impressions are good, especially as it's a genre I can take or leave. 8/10 from first impressions.
  • GamesConnoisseur 11 Jun 2010 14:57:44 420 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption 10/10 and a GOTY! What an ending.

Alpha Protocol 6/10, I was very hard on this game in posts, but the longer I played the better its grew on me. Still delighted with a rental route I took.

Blur 8/10 and MP added to the game and well intergrated.

Spilt Seconds 7/10 great ideas but gave me too many handlings/driftings issues.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 10/10 another GOTY contender, only played the very early bit and too early to post my score.... but wow! Nintendo still can work their genius.

• Deleted user 20 August 2010 00:02:17
    Kane & Lynch 2 - 1/10

The 1 is for the graphics which are quite nice. In every other way the game is a complete failure. Words fail me here to be honest. Erm...

/scratches head

Oh yea, something the few reviews I've read failed to mention was the abysmal script and voice acting. At no point did I believe or care about anything that was happening at all, so it actually became unintentionally hilarious most of the time.

This is what I image a videogame directed by M. Night Shyamalan would be like >:D
  • mrpon 20 Aug 2010 00:12:42 29,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why did you buy it?

/scratches head

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 20 August 2010 00:13:12
    R)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted