Rate the last game you played out of 10 Page 15

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Emmit_Assassin 4 Apr 2010 21:51:31 752 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2

SP: Not as flashy as MW2 or with as many big set pieces, but so much more intelligent combat and funnier dialogue than any other FPS I've played. Lasted longer than IW's offering, and playing as the same character through (almost) the whole thing helped me connect with the story and care about the situation. Even though it was the usual '4 American marines save the day' tripe overall. Can we have something different, please?

MP: The backbone of the game and very well thought out. Interesting game types, especially Rush and Squad Rush. A good, solid objective within very well designed maps makes it so much more interesting. The vehicle combat also injects some much needed variation in what is essentially a stale genre thanks to the poor Halo 3 and the 'dull and repetitive after 20 hours' MW2.
    Its about time someone stoppped the monotany.
    If only they could sort out the fact that handguns can fire accurately over a 1/2 mile, and I also got killed by a shotgun at a similar distance, making sniper rifles obsolete. If they balanced the guns more, it would be a 9/10 easily but I'd have to grudgingly give it a very high...

8/10
  • K8_Truth 5 Apr 2010 00:11:44 520 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    laharl80 wrote:
    resonance of fate=0/10
    Firstly this mess isn't an rpg.How anyone could describe it as one is beyond me.It has no meaningful customisation or levelling,no stats,a story so bad it makes mw2s look like crime and punishment,the worst combat system i have ever come across,the graphics appear to have been programmed by a stoned monkey with a preference for grey,the characters are hateful,etc,etc.I got this and last rebellion on the same day.To say i was pissed off is an understatement.AVOID!!!

Are you being serious? I haven't played it and probably won't get to for quite along time :( but it looks really good. 0/10 did the game not work?

Hope it works out for you games are really expensive. Give it another try it looks really nice :)
  • LionheartDJH 5 Apr 2010 05:02:22 19,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy

Picked this up for a fiver at HMV last Saturday as I liked the movies and thought it was worth a punt at that price. Completed it on Friday so here's a short summary.

It largely follows the plot of the first movie, Identity, with some extra missions involving flashbacks to different assignments from Bourne's past, none of which really contribute to the over-arching story of the series.

The gameplay is comprised of 3rd person shooting, hand to hand combat and quick time events. Oh and unsurprisingly there's a driving section aswell. The 3rd person shooting makes up the bulk of the action, and while it's pretty decent the aiming does feel a bit off at times. This is because the camera is located a bit too close to Bourne, making aiming a little difficult, and the default sensistivity is quite low, making him slow to aim his weapon at enemies, but this of course can be fixed in the options menu. It's a bit of a shame that there's no button to move from cover to cover like there is in many other 3rd person shooters as it can be slightly frustrating having to move manually, with this game's Bourne not being the most agile of protagonists.

The hand to hand combat is pretty cool however. Whilst the system is pretty simple it does a good job of replicating the gritty and brutal fighting that is a staple of the movies. Bourne can fill an adrenaline meter with successive hits in order to gain a takedown move which is a suitably brutal blow that knocks out normal enemies and takes a chunk of health from bigger opponents. Objects in the environment can also be used in takedowns, which provide some pretty cool moments where Bourne smashes a bad guy's face into a fire extinguisher or a chair. Most boss fights take the hand to hand form, and they're largely pretty fun. However during shootouts, if you get too close to enemies they will drop their guns and engage you in hand to hand, which is a tad unrealistic, especially when there are other enemies around who keep firing their weapons, but magically keep missing you as presumably the game wants to give you a chance in the melee.

The quick time events happen in almost every mission and sometimes you don't see them coming so you have to be constantly alert during cut scenes. The driving section is okay, nothing spectacular or overly realistic but the handling is okay, much better than in say, Alone in the Dark. Overall the controls and gameplay are fairly decent and I didn't really have much trouble with them.

The graphics are decent, nothing really noteworthy but everything looks okay so they do the job. The cut scenes however are a bit below par, with the voice acting just okay (I don't think any of the cast members lend their voices to this game, and disappointingly Matt Damon's image is not used for Bourne) and the visuals lacking polish. The game clocks in at around 5-7 hours depending on difficulty, so it is quite short, and replay value in the form of collectable passports which unlock concept art and videos isn't that much of an enticement to play it again. However for the next to nothing price that it can be bought for these days it's not so bad.

Overall The Bourne Conspiracy is a fairly decent action game that despite not featuring Matt Damon does a pretty good job of making you feel like Jason Bourne. The shooting, while a little annoying at times is largely fun, and the hand to hand combat makes you feel like a $30million assassin dishing out some pain. The quick time events are pretty standard fare but they help break up the gameplay and add a little bit of interactivity to the story. If you like the Bourne movies then it's well worth a shot at the rock bottom prices you can find it for now.

7/10

She dives for cheese pasties

• karooo 5 Apr 2010 05:07:37 52 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FFXIII - 9/10 story was boring but loved the battlesystem and the graphics.
  • kdsh7 5 Apr 2010 13:41:01 1,179 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM

Finally finished this at 4:15am - what a game. The atmosphere was incredible, presentation of the characters spot on, but most of all, they kept the gameplay fresh and exciting all the way through. Deserved BAFTA winner I'd say, and that's after I was ranting that no game was better than Uncharted2 for ages.

10/10
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2010 13:47:51 7,413 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Halo 3: ODST

Stands on its own in the series quite well and was a fun little chapter to play through. It was about the perfect length for a game like this in my opinion and the gameplay added a nice new twist playing as one of those "ODST Dweebs" who seem to die after 3 bullets in the Halo 3 campaign.

We won't comment on Vidmaster: Endure or Deja Vu though...... just no.

Still got a few firefights to do for the full 1000 but I shall enjoy them as I find them rather fun.

8/10
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Apr 2010 13:50:02 25,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mass Effect 2

Absolutely fantastic. The combat is streets ahead of the first, it plays like a proper shooter now; the story is great, the voice acting is excellent and the side-missions are vastly improved over the carbon copy ones from before. I did miss some of the RPG elements they stripped away, like seeing XP popping up everywhere, and finishing a mission in some place, such as Omega, and then having to redock and reload to go back in and finish another mission was a bit annoying. Final boss was a bit strange, but I loved all the little nods to the first one, including little choices you made.

Really loved it, can't wait for another playthrough at some point and bring on ME3!

10/10

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• woodnotes 5 Apr 2010 14:04:56 4,944 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Completely quite a few games already this year, so I'll sum them all up.

Bayonetta - 8/10

Hated this at first but when you get past the first couple of hours, you finally start an awesome journey that took me back to the first Ninja Gaiden. Loved it. Great gameplay, very silly story, embarassing to play in front of the gf. Definitely recommended.

Dark Void - 3/10

A forgettable mess. Not sure why I bothered completing it. Surprising that games like this are still getting made (and funding from a major publisher) in 2010.

Uncharted 2 - 8/10

Solid game but extremely linear and by-the-numbers. I think the graphics and cut-scenes launched this to the high heavens of acclaim, rather than the actual gameplay. Still overall very enjoyable but I can't see anything to justify more than 8/10.

Heavy Rain - 8/10

Another game which didn't grab me at first. (Jason!). But it genuinely gets better and better. Definitely no "gameplay" to see here and a lot of smoke and mirrors are in place to make you think you're having a bigger effect on the story than you actually are. But on your first playthrough, none of this matters. One particular scene will (unfortunately) stay with me forever o_O

Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

The best game I have played in years. Seriously. I wasn't too fussed about the first game so wasn't expecting much. But, wow. An unforgettable epic experience, where the decisions you make actually do genuinely change the game. Where it mixes fanastic story, graphics (some of the planets are incredible) and decision making with awesome action and gameplay. A game which shows you really can mix it all together, without the RPG bit boring the hell out of you.

Blue Toad Murder Files Episodes 1 & 2 - 2/10

Abysmal. Extremely slow and long winded, rediculously easy puzzles. The most annoying voice acting of all time. My gf was convinced that she was going to like this but even she hated it.

Bioshock 2 - 7/10

By-the-numbers near carbon-copy of the first game. If you loved the first game, you'll like this but not love it. It really is just more of the same. Looking forward to Ken Levine's next game more.
  • kentmonkey 5 Apr 2010 14:06:43 20,934 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Wonders if people realise this is the 'last game you played' thread and not the 'last game you finished' thread.
  • woodnotes 5 Apr 2010 14:12:43 4,944 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    /Wonders if people realise this is the 'last game you played' thread and not the 'last game you finished' thread.
    Didn't realise there were two, and thought it would stupid to rate a game I hadn't completed.
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2010 14:14:15 7,413 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:

Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

The best game I have played in years. Seriously. I wasn't too fussed about the first game so wasn't expecting much. But, wow. An unforgettable epic experience, where the decisions you make actually do genuinely change the game. Where it mixes fanastic story, graphics (some of the planets are incredible) and decision making with awesome action and gameplay. A game which shows you really can mix it all together, without the RPG bit boring the hell out of you.

Just ordered this from Shopto this very morning! Can't wait to get it now!
  • Deleted user 5 April 2010 14:33:06
    God Of War 3

Epic. Brutal. Intense. My favourite in the series as it took the sense of scale to extremes and avoided some of the stupidly frustrating parts of the previous iterations. Weapons were satisfying, each tailored in a way to specific enemies so it felt there was some strategy to the combat. The little deviations like the rhythm game and the Escher puzzle were refreshing too. But the game really shines in those moments of over the top savagery and magnitude, smashing an enemy's face to a pulp or fighting and climbing on a lumbering huge Titan. Memorable stuff.

A couple of drawbacks, one rather weak boss fight and some particularly cheesy VA. Despite the raves about the graphics thought there were some glaring early gen looking parts too. Not a huge gripe but after UC2 it sticks out like a sore thumb.

9/10
  • Yossarian 5 Apr 2010 14:36:14 8,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    5 Days a Stranger: 6/10
  • Gunzberg 5 Apr 2010 14:38:49 1,754 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonace

Short but oh so sweet, completed it with the best ending in about 7 hours. Was my first Castlevania game and loved it. I had heard rumours of the horrendous difficulty of these titles but this one had just the right level for the experienced gamer new to such games.
    Well recommended if you've never played a Castlevania game before, has minimal story so you can focus on the exploration and action. Now playing Aria of Sorrow as part of the Double Pack for GBA/DS Lite. Recommended for Castlevania novices and those experienced in the series.

8.5/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• paul_haine 31 May 2010 14:16:00 4,205 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTA IV: The Lost and Damned 6.5/10

Preferred The Ballad of Gay Tony. Lost and Damned was a bit humourless, the bikes are irritating to drive and everything's always tuned to Liberty Rock.
  • paul_haine 31 May 2010 14:21:31 4,205 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTA IV: The Lost and Damned 5.5/10

Just remembered that Frankie Boyle was in it so lowering the score by one.
  • Cappy 31 May 2010 15:13:24 12,119 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto IV

Nothing much has changed since GTA III despite protestations and hype saying otherwise. On one hand you've got the most beautifully realised City I've ever seen in a game. On the other hand, more driving than ever before and it's just no fun at all. Why they stubbornly refuse to put in concessions like proper checkpointing and instant quick travel between locations so I don't have to experience the joy of pootling along in traffic tailbacks is beyond me.

Besides the City, the 'Oscar worthy acting' is an another area that got a lot of attention, sadly there isn't much to show for that time investment with hilariously poor animation and stiff, unconvincing puppet-like character models. It's the same old missions and frustrations all over again, spend some time on the parts of the game that people actually play next time.

Good and bad balance out at a middling score with one point knocked off for the PS3 version which didn't even work on my console until I'd gone online and updated after waiting an eternity for the mandatory install. Every time the frame rate chugged, every time it was so blurred I couldn't see what was going on I was thinking what could have been if this wasn't a halfhearted cash-in port.

5/10
  • Doomspoon 31 May 2010 15:14:45 2,518 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:
    GTA IV: The Lost and Damned 5.5/10

Just remembered that Frankie Boyle was in it so lowering the score by one.

Was it an opportunity for him to do something other than his three paedo jokes?
  • NunianVonFuch 31 May 2010 16:55:02 87 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brutal Legend

Enjoyable Zelda-clone that turns into an enjoyable Sacrifice-clone RTS about halfway through. In between missions the cut scenes are mostly funny and the multiplayer is worth a look but a bit too simplistic tactically to last long. There's a free roaming side to it but the missions are so generic it's not worth bothering with. Overall though it's worth playing if you can find it cheap but it's no classic. The way the units are controlled in the RTS bit does show other RTS games how to do it on the 360 though, very easy to manage.

7/10
  • ElNuevo9 31 May 2010 17:04:24 13,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Split Second

Quite simply one of the most exhilarating games I've played in a while. Whilst there may only be 11 tracks, each can be destroyed several times to create different routes. The handling clicked for me and the drifting was very satisfying. Graphically, it's a bit of a looker, some tracks look better than others mind. I much preferred this to Burnout Paradise, it felt much more focused, although whilst online is fun, it won't hold your interest for Burnout Paradise lengths of time. It took me a good 15 hours to complete, the length was pretty good, although the number of 'wow' moments did wane due to the reuse of tracks later on in the game. It's not an easy game, but it isn't ball achingly difficult either.

9/10

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 31 May 2010 17:18:12
    Cloning Clyde
    Xbox 360 XBLA

A 2006 platform game, which now cost 400 msp (~ 5 Euro) and it shows how good Ninja Bee is making these kind of games. Some similarities with Maw, though not as sexy but more of a "video-game". Quite easy and relaxing game and felt real good after a very tiring week-end, to play it on a Sunday night. Highly recomended if you want/need a relaxed old-school game without being too dumbish

7/10
  • Gambit1977 31 May 2010 21:11:44 10,384 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alan Wake
    7/10

/runs!
  • GrandpaUlrira 31 May 2010 21:30:35 3,752 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prince of Persia (2008) -- 7/10. The final temple was a bit of a crapfest though, including a game-stopping bug. Very well made, even if it was occasionally dull and lacking challenge.
  • INSOMANiAC 31 May 2010 21:34:31 3,842 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    6/10

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• LionheartDJH 31 May 2010 21:39:04 19,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Grand Theft Auto IV

Why they stubbornly refuse to put in concessions like proper checkpointing and instant quick travel between locations so I don't have to experience the joy of pootling along in traffic tailbacks is beyond me.

Er you do know you can hail cabs, get in the back as a passenger, select your destination and then skip the journey, which is more or less quick travelling and saves you doing a lot of driving to and from places/missions. It's also useful when you're too drunk to drive (both in the game and IRL).

She dives for cheese pasties

• Raiko101 31 May 2010 21:45:13 6,720 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    de Blob

One of the more chilled out platformers i've ever played. It's simple and easy to get into. The controls are great for the most part, though the camera can fustrate if you're rushing around dense areas. The levels are big and well designed. The music is brilliant and is interactive, depending on what you paint and what colour you paint it.

If you're one of those gamers who has to get 100% from their games, the task is pretty damn enjoyable in this one. There are in game achievements too, to help keep track of things. The rewards include some of the best cutscenes and clips i've seen in a video game.

8/10

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• laharl80 2 Jun 2010 16:49:18 210 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alpha Protocol - 2/10
    A gang of monkeys could have made a better game.
    I'm fear for Fallout New Vegas.
    Obsidian should all commit sepukku for having the front to release this mess.
  • Midgar777 2 Jun 2010 16:52:20 472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    laharl80 wrote:
    Alpha Protocol - 2/10
    A gang of monkeys could have made a better game.
    I'm fear for Fallout New Vegas.
    Obsidian should all commit sepukku for having the front to release this mess.

Shit lol....this game is waiting for me when I get home from work via LoveFilm's rental service ha-ha! Guess I shouldn't get too excited!
  • Page

of 17 First / Last