Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 31

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• nickthegun 5 Jan 2013 19:33:32 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually, if you look again you will notice that I was being general because it applies to all customer satisfaction programs, not just this particular one.

The key to successful pedantry is an eye for detail.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Popzeus 5 Jan 2013 20:10:31 8,300 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since this is bumped...

Is there any way to change file permissions for whole directories or drives at a time? Just spent a fun-packed couple of hours manually changing hundreds of permissions file-by-file in the command line, surely there's an easier way?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• dominalien 5 Jan 2013 21:52:28 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the Finder, r-click on the directory and select show info. In the window, change permissions as desired and then click the little gear button under the permissions list and select the option that says apply to items in the folder or some such (I have the system in a different language).

To do the same from the command line, use chmod with the -R option on the directory.

Now, it may happen OS X will refuse to change permissions for some files/dirs. This means there may be some extended attributes, ACLs or flags that are messing with the regular permissions and making them impossible to change. OS X has command line tools for dealing with these.

PSN: DonOsito

• Popzeus 6 Jan 2013 12:10:29 8,300 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers, will give that a look.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• TarickStonefire 8 Jan 2013 13:29:40 3,052 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Question from a friend (Friend A) who has a Macbook. He took it to work today and while it was open another friend (Friend B) realised he could see all of Friend A's personal photos that were on the Macbook, on his (Friend B's) Samsung smartphone via some media app which he uses to play his music.

Friend A has no idea why. He has iPhoto installed but said he didn't have any of OS X's photo sharing services turned on (I presume he means Photostream). But clearly his Mac is broadcasting photos, and in a manner which allowed Friend B's smartphone to detect and display them without any set-up - they just 'appeared'.

I know Mac stuff "just works" (to use that tired old cliche!) but this was weird. Anyone know how or why that might have happened?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Lukus 8 Jan 2013 13:48:48 19,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bluetooth unprotected?

Paintings & Photographs

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 13:51:51 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of his torrent applications or similar will be acting as a media streamer.

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 13:59:53 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The easiest thing to do is install little snitch and see what asks to broadcast.

• TarickStonefire 8 Jan 2013 14:11:13 3,052 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm, all good options to look at, I'll suggest them, thanks! It's the fact that they came up without any set-up by the chap with the phone that was alarming. Who else has been able to see them, and what else has he been unwittingly broadcasting when he takes his laptop out?

(rhetorical questions, answers not needed but hey if you happen to know do chip in...)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:12:03 08-01-2013

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 14:13:44 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    he should be ok as most public networks use wireless isolation for exactly this reason.

Except, weirdly, a hotel I stayed in not long ago that allowed me to see the shared contents of about a dozen computers.

• Deleted user 5 February 2013 21:21:27
    What's the best way of doing basic maintenance on a Mac that's starting to run sluggish? Anything like defragging or clearing temp files or whatnot?
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 21:31:23
    It's mostly automatic, but I suppose you could go through your start up items / preferences / application support in the library folders.

EDIT: Have a play with Onyx, quite a few utilities in that

Edited by CrispyXUK at 21:35:48 05-02-2013
  • beastmaster 5 Feb 2013 21:43:56 11,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a question about ATV. I'm doing that DNS thing so I get get Netlix US. I've bought a few films on iTunes and wondered if I could watch them without having to go back to normal, default UK settings without having to use airplay.

Can I store purchased films on the cloud and can I watch them from my ATV?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TarickStonefire 17 Feb 2013 13:50:36 3,052 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hello Mac-using Eurogamers! My mum just emailed me a problem she's having on her old iMac. I've not heard of it before, maybe someone here recognises it.

Apparently some parts of emails aren't coming through - she says "the top couple of inches" are missing ;) If she forwards them to my step-dad's iPad 2 he sees the whole thing, but if he re-forwards them back to her she sometimes sees the whole thing but sometimes it's missing bits again, either the top or the bottom...?

My stepdad's no fool so he'll have checked the scrolling etc is working, but it's an ooold white iMac, the first Intel one I think, running Tiger, so some apps are starting to not be compatible with the march of technology. I've suggested she at least give Snow Leopard a try but my mother resists change!

Sorry no other clues. I've asked if it's certain emails or all of them but no answer.

• TarickStonefire 17 Feb 2013 13:57:58 3,052 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @beastmaster I think no matter where you are in the world if you have a connection to iCloud and your iTunes account 'in the cloud' then whatever you have on your account will be available for you to stream.

I think that the only time your location matters to iTunes is when you access their store.

At least, I think so. ;) Try it and report back!

• boo 20 Feb 2013 13:51:39 11,758 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I bought my Macbook Pro, I changed the admin password on my old Macbook so that it wasn't the same as my new one.

Now I've come to clean it up, I obviously can't remember what I changed it to!

Looks like there are ways round it with terminal, but I thought there was a panel (somewhere within System Preferences) where you were able to leave yourself a hint, and I'm sure if that were an option, I would have done it.

Am I remembering incorrectly?

Just Another Lego Blog

• nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 14:06:49 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you have disks, boot from the install disk and change it from there.

If its a recovery partition, boot into that, open terminal and type resetpassword

• Tonka 20 Feb 2013 14:07:03 20,253 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's definitely a hint.
    Should show up when you try to log in

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• boo 20 Feb 2013 14:13:29 11,758 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Found it!

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Click on Change Password

Screen then comes up with a hint box, which fortunately, I'd completed.

Cheers all.

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 15:14:22 87,185 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What are the chances of a 15" Air with Retina existing sometime soon?
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 15:17:04 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There macbook pro sans optical drive is effectively this already.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 15:28:18 87,185 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not actually seen the non optical drive ones in the flesh. Are they slim?
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 15:34:47 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. same deal with the Airs. Everything is welded to the main board, SSD and no optical drive.

iirc, the retina MBPs are 2mm deeper than the air.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 15:36:36 87,185 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is the weight comparable as well?
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 15:43:03 59,538 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No idea. The 13 inch MBP felt a bit heavier than the 13 inch air, but it wouldnt put your back out. Dont know how much heavier again the 15" is.

Theres full tech specs on the apple site if you want to do a side by side.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 16:44:56 87,185 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, the 13" Air is just under 3lbs, where as the 15" normal is 4.5lbs. Obviously don't know what a 15" Air would cost, but that's not quite negligible.
  • dominalien 25 Feb 2013 16:50:49 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's an expected jump in weight from 13" to 15". OTOH, the weight for the 13" retina MBP is 3.57 lbs (whatever that is), which is not that much more than the 13" Air.

• Deleted user 25 February 2013 17:07:33
    New job requires a lot of travelling and been looking at a MBA 11" (will sell 15" Pro). Had a play about today and they are bloody lovely machines and don't think the screen size will be a problem. Not fussed about retina but at the same time don't want to be burned with an update within a couple months. Any word on rumoured updates anytime soon?
  • dominalien 25 Feb 2013 17:09:05 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not heard any rumours, but macrumors (heh) are saying Buy only if you need it.

Which, it seems, you do.

Edited by dominalien at 17:09:17 25-02-2013

• dominalien 25 Feb 2013 17:10:08 6,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And now what I'd looked at that page, I heard a rumour:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/19/redesigned-macbook-air-reportedly-planned-for-3q-2013-launch-possibly-with-retina-display/

• Page

of 42 First / Last