Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 4

• Page

of 44 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 April 2009 08:18:48
    OK I'm going to phone up about this. I was and still am under the impression that swapping a HD will void my AppleCare, but swapping Ram will not. Which is odd, but a quick google seems to confirm this. But it is still odd, so I will phone up and confirm.
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2009 15:39:10 19,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:

Answer all these pernickety but essential questions and we can start slicing hundreds of of your outlay.

Now answer my questions damn you!

Winky face

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 7 April 2009 15:40:25
    lord wrote:
    I think his point was he'd back it up and then delete it, with the ability to restore it if required.
    I don't understand how that solves the problem of his MacBook drive being too small.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 15:41:45
    Lukus wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:

Answer all these pernickety but essential questions and we can start slicing hundreds of of your outlay.

Now answer my questions damn you!

Winky face
    Everyone else already has! Basically, you either want an HDTV or you don't, but if you do (and it's an HDTV you want and not a simple HD monitor) you're going to struggle to get even a second-hand MacBook Pro and an HDTV for under a grand, I'm afraid!
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2009 15:58:40 19,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dude, you didn't read my reply then.

Well, I want an HDTV anyway in general, mostly for films and the Xbox, so that was just a bit of trivial information. Linking up a laptop would just be a bonus.

The TV isn't too important at this stage, the computer comes first.

The TV is secondary, I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it. The less than 1000 is solely for the Mac.

So refurbs are generally reliable, clean, not covered in skin and trace semen? I've read the gumph, 1 year warranty, rigorous testing, yada yada, but what are people's actual experiences?

Paintings & Photographs

• askew 7 Apr 2009 16:02:05 12,592 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My MB refurb is still going strong. Was in very good nick - two scratches on the bottom of the case. All the disks were included, and it was ready to go. I guess the only noticeable difference was the plain brown box it came in.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 16:02:16
    I did read that but it said two things: I want an HDTV in general, and the TV isn't too important. Didn't say anything about the budget ramifications! Nitpicking aside, if you shop around and don't necessarily need one of the ultra new Unibody MBP's you might get one for less than a grand.

Refurbs are fine. It's not like buying an eBay 2nd hand job. It's like buying a new Mac except that it might show some structural defects (there might be a scratch here or there) and might not come with original packaging. However, all the components are absolutely guraranteed by Apple to be as good as if you'd bought them new. There won't be cumstains on your keyboard.
  • spindizzy 7 Apr 2009 17:14:22 6,589 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    However, all the components are absolutely guraranteed by Apple to be as good as if you'd bought them new. There won't be cumstains on your keyboard.

:-(

/cancels refurb order.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 17:29:00
    I can come round and wank onto it if you like. I won't tell you when I'm visiting, so it'll be a nice surprise one day.
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2009 17:30:38 19,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    www.wankontorefurbs.com

MrEd's next business venture. For the more discerning 2nd hand buyer.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 8 April 2009 12:47:22
    Just phoned up and upgrading the HD won't auto void my Apple Care but it obviously wont extend to covering the HD if it wasn't bought from Apple. Now to go searching. Any recommendations or places/Hds to avoid?
  • spindizzy 8 Apr 2009 12:52:47 6,589 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Just phoned up and upgrading the HD won't auto void my Apple Care but it obviously wont extend to covering the HD if it wasn't bought from Apple. Now to go searching. Any recommendations or places/Hds to avoid?

Told you!

And nah, I don't think it really matters ... though personally I went for exactly the same make and model as Apple use in their top-end models, just to try to avoid any arguments if it did need fixing in future.
  • spindizzy 8 Apr 2009 12:52:48 6,589 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

Told you!

And nah, I don't think it really matters ... though personally I went for exactly the same make and model as Apple use in their top-end models, just to try to avoid any arguments if it did need fixing in future.
  • Craven 18 Apr 2009 23:20:27 391 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got one of the 13 inch aluminium ones. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • paul_haine 19 Apr 2009 08:42:33 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Craven wrote:
    Just got one of the 13 inch aluminium ones. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

You might need to be more specific.
  • dr_swin 27 Aug 2009 08:21:53 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh dear. They really are a lot different aren't they! I could do with a bit of guidance. I have just bought a macbook pro and have been transferring files across. I would like to be able to watch trueblood. The files are xvid encoded avi's. Quicktime needs an add on. I have downloaded the required add on but I have no idea how or where to put it. I read the 'read me' guidance. It wants me to drag it into the quicktime library I think. I thought I had done that but when I am playing the files all I get is a black screen with no audio so I dont think it has worked.

Also any general advice on the best way to get competent at OS X.

And, before you start, yeh, yeh should have bought windows etc...
  • tincanrocket 27 Aug 2009 08:29:45 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dr_swin - vlc player is what you need for your video viewing needs. Runs pretty much all codecs
  • dr_swin 27 Aug 2009 08:35:09 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cheers. That may be easier.
  • Tonka 27 Aug 2009 08:40:13 21,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OR, download Perian.
    Link

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 08:50:13 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Perian is the way to go.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• dr_swin 27 Aug 2009 12:38:13 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cheers. Perian did the job. Could I trouble you for a suggestion a good free dvd ripper to get my dvds onto iphone.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 12:47:31 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Handbrake

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• dr_swin 27 Aug 2009 12:50:40 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    does that work on its own or do you need the vlc player program above with it?
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 12:51:05 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Works on its own

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• dr_swin 27 Aug 2009 12:52:33 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thanks again otto.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 12:53:36 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/

I'm storing up credits until the day I come to you for advice on an intimate medical nature.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Stormflood 27 Aug 2009 12:56:56 2,263 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?

And I'll also need a virtual windows app - which one is best? This is for testing bastard IE6, or any windows apps I may still need.
  • Jeepers 27 Aug 2009 12:58:12 13,268 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BBEdit is the dog's bollocks for hand-coding. Or was, when I last used it a year or so ago.
  • Venkman90 27 Aug 2009 13:10:21 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone using a mac for work? how is the mac version of office? does entourage have the outlook style contact managment system?
  • Deleted user 27 August 2009 13:14:17
    Stormflood wrote:
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?
    Coda is awesome and I understand there's plenty of plugins to make it do other stuff that's handy.

As for your anti-glare MBP, can you post a photo or two of the thing with the screen open - I want to see what it looks like without the glass. It's not the anti-glare feature I'm interested in as I'm sure it works, but I'm interested in the aesthetics of the screen without the glass and the black trim.
  • Page

of 44 First / Last