Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 2

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• Dr-Strangelove 7 Feb 2008 09:44:04 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anybody recommend a MacBook Pro for video editing (just the laptop, no external screen)?

I'm just interested to see if anybody has any positive/negative thoughts about this.

I'm going to wait for the next MacBook Pro upgrade before I purchase one (I hope they keep the option of non glossy screens) but after having my Dual CPU G5 Tower (great though it still is) I vowed the next machine I'd get would be a laptop so that I can edit whenever and wherever I like rather than being stuck in the home office. I'm not into professional editing, just using ilife to make videos for family and friends.
  • deem 7 Feb 2008 09:47:03 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dr Strangelove wrote:
    Can anybody recommend a MacBook Pro for video editing (just the laptop, no external screen)?

I'm just interested to see if anybody has any positive/negative thoughts about this.

I'm going to wait for the next MacBook Pro upgrade before I purchase one (I hope they keep the option of non glossy screens) but after having my Dual CPU G5 Tower (great though it still is) I vowed the next machine I'd get would be a laptop so that I can edit whenever and wherever I like rather than being stuck in the home office. I'm not into professional editing, just using ilife to make videos for family and friends.

heh, MacBook Pro is Pro level video editing - you won't have any problems doing vids for your family.

:)
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2008 09:50:01 59,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife edits professionally. She uses avid all day and comes home to the MBP with Final Cut Pro and barely misses a beat.

If all you are going to use is iMovie (which will be more than good enough for you, by the sounds of it) the MBP just eats it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• JonFE 7 Feb 2008 09:51:36 1,447 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I will second deems 'The 17" MBP screen is amazing'.

If you take the super resolution-o-tron upgrade (with a matte screen) its just jaw dropping.

As, ive said before, a little too jaw dropping. Its weird to be able to watch 1080p stuff on it and still think it looks a little blurry. And DVDs look like 3rd generation VHS copies.

It really has to be seen to be believed, to be fair. The mrs uses it primarily for video editing and you get so much screen real estate she doesnt need a second screen so much.

Now, you've had me confused (no kudos for that though, it's easily done :). Do you actually recommend this or not? "Jaw dropping" and "blurry", "VHS copies" don't bond together. Are you saying that there is no up scaler for DVD/standard definition playback?
  • Shinji 7 Feb 2008 10:03:02 5,903 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a computer screen, not a HDTV - it's not designed to handle standard definition pictures. His point was that the screen is so sharp and crisp (it's aimed mostly at designers and people working with images professionally) that lower quality sources tend to look like arse on it.

Whether you see that as a good or a bad thing is entirely down to how you use the system :)
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2008 10:15:44 59,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, yeah, exactly.

To get DVDs looking how you are used to them, you need to have them in a small window in the corner. Which is where the video editing thing comes in, kinda, because you can quite happily monitor your in, out and source on it.

Its an absolutely fabulous screen, but, as shinji says, its so fabulous it really isnt kind to a lot of things.

But, yeah, on the flipside, the photos I take on my 20d just look eye wateringly sexy.

• Dr-Strangelove 7 Feb 2008 11:19:09 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks nickthegun and Deem for your answers.

Just gotta wait for the update now before I make my purchase.
  • Lukus 7 Feb 2008 11:53:54 19,088 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good thread, me ;) Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far everyone. Very helpful, though a little confusing at the same time as I can see the advantages of each machine..

Regarding Macbooks; the glossy screen option- what actual effect does that have? There's no difference in price on the website for glossy or non glossy.

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 7 Feb 2008 11:58:26 19,088 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good to know!

Paintings & Photographs

• deem 7 Feb 2008 11:59:41 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the right light, they are gorgeous though - and make blacks black, and other colours lovely and rich.

The right light is very fucking hard to come by though.
  • mouse Moderator 7 Feb 2008 12:23:26 10,312 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite like the glossy screens myself. /shrugs
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2008 12:25:53 59,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its true. I spend half my summers listening to people say 'THE SUN IS REFLECTING INTO MY EYES I DEMAND YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT', using that as a justification to replace the trusty old CRTs with TFTs and now, here I am buying people fucking iMacs.

I predict severe retinal burn this summer.

• JonFE 7 Feb 2008 12:56:46 1,447 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for clearing that up, all three of you :)

Now, if Apple could be so kind to upgrade (or at least give us a choice on) the graphics card on the 24'' iMac to something like a G92 nVidia and I'd be willing to part with my hard (yeah, right!) earned...
  • eviltobz 7 Feb 2008 15:10:41 2,511 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    re plugging in to an hdtv.

i had my g5 power mac plugged into my hdtv using a dvi to hdmi converter which was fine except that the OS will not support the native resolution of the panel as standard. it'll happily through out normal monitor resolutions or proper hd resolutions, but i wanted to drive the panel at native res so it didn't get all artifacty. to do this i needed a little shareware app called switch res x that let me define custom resolutions. (in fact, even with that it wasn't quite perfect but was quite acceptable)
  • mouse Moderator 7 Feb 2008 15:14:05 10,312 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    eviltobz wrote:
    to do this i needed a little shareware app called switch res x that let me define custom resolutions. (in fact, even with that it wasn't quite perfect but was quite acceptable)

Thank you! I've been looking for an app like this for ages to fix overscanned output on my telly. DisplayconfigX was absolutely impenetrable.
  • The_Aardvark 7 Feb 2008 15:35:02 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a 17 inch MBP and watch TV full screen all the time. Provided you're not sat as close to screen as you would if you were working on it you would be fine.

I don't think that anyone answered your question regarding bootcamp. With bootcamp, I can just boot my machine into a version of windows XP that runs exactly as it would on a native windows PC.

I've not tried anything more sophisticated than Halflife 2 but that looks lovely with all the options cranked up to max.
  • JonFE 7 Feb 2008 16:42:12 1,447 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    JonFE wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up, all three of you :)

Now, if Apple could be so kind to upgrade (or at least give us a choice on) the graphics card on the 24'' iMac to something like a G92 nVidia and I'd be willing to part with my hard (yeah, right!) earned...
    Not really much point though is there? It'd be out of date 8 months down the line.

You're probably right. However, what I'm after is a computer alternative to dual boot in Leopard and XP, offering decent 3D performance out of the box (especially under DirectX) and, if benchmarks are to be trusted, nVidia is better than the ATI (which seems to lag from the moment it was released). Of course it will be surpassed in 8 months time, but if it's decent enough in the beginning, it would suit me for a couple of years more.

What bothers me is that Apple offers nVidia solutions to other computer products like the MacBook or Mac Pro and only the aluminum iMac is left out in the cold.

To put it in another way: if Apple had gone to an nVidia for the new iMac (at least as an option), I would have got that instantly. As it stands, I'm sitting on a fence (and it hurts, if you know what I mean :).
  • boo 7 Feb 2008 17:10:11 11,778 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /is about to order 2.2Ghz Macbook

/bookmarks thread

Just Another Lego Blog

• quantumsheep 7 Feb 2008 17:41:54 3,127 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    boo wrote:
    /is about to order 2.2Ghz Macbook

/bookmarks thread

Do eeeeet! =D
  • HarryB 7 Feb 2008 18:14:44 6,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm installing osx on a mate's eeepc soon.. I really wish the macbook air was that kinda size!
    /doubts osx on eeepc
  • Lukus 9 Feb 2008 21:17:46 19,088 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just wondered, would it be possible to use an iMac as a display for the 360?

Paintings & Photographs

• spindizzy 9 Feb 2008 21:20:56 6,504 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:

Not easily no - there's no video in. And even if you buy one of the 'TV tuner' thingies (even the ones that claim they work with e.g. the 360) there's noticable lag IIRC.

Frankly I'd make damn sure you tried it in a shop before buying anything.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 9 Feb 2008 21:34:08 11,319 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Similar question here. Would it be possible to somehow put my Wii through my Mac-Mini, or directly into the 23" Apple Monitor I shall have in my possession in about two months?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Lukus 9 Feb 2008 22:35:29 19,088 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

Not easily no - there's no video in. And even if you buy one of the 'TV tuner' thingies (even the ones that claim they work with e.g. the 360) there's noticable lag IIRC.

Thanks!

:(

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 9 February 2008 23:00:09
    Lukus wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

Thanks!

:(
    19" LCD screens now much MUCH less than 200 by the way.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 9 Feb 2008 23:06:44 11,319 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: Similar question here. Would it be possible to somehow put my Wii through my Mac-Mini, or directly into the 23" Apple Monitor I shall have in my possession in about two months?
    CrispyXUK wrote: No, get a Dell or Gateway 24" monitor.
    Any particular reason apart from (I suppose) cost? Are those screens compatible with scart/component cables or something?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• deem 9 Feb 2008 23:45:30 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have the 24" Dell, and it's pretty good.

Has LOADS of inputs - VGA, Dvi, component, composite, S-Video...

Picture in picture, 1:1 mapping.

The only thing it lacks for gaming is the punch of a normal LCD TV.

Definitely much preferable to the Apple.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 42 First / Last