of 57 First / Last

• 2old4disshit 22 Dec 2016 10:36:16 444 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Perhaps just buy a pc?
  • greg_wha 1 Jan 2017 12:27:14 979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone have any experience using a DAC with a Mac? I was hoping it would be just plug and play, which it should be I'm guessing but I'm not sure if its the DAC or a OS related software thing.

It's a Arcam irDAC-II connected via USB to my iMac. Issue I've got is the computer not recognising the DAC is plugged in when I wake it, forcing me to restart the DAC and then it being recognised.

It also drops the sound listening to internet radio through Safari, seems to take about half a hour to stop. Close and reopen the tab and it works for another half an hour.

iTunes works flawlessly.

Cheers in advance if anyone can help!
  • -HairyArse 1 Jan 2017 13:07:16 1,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    Hmmm. I don't recall having had any particular trouble setting it up on my Mac Pro 2013.
    I've done it before numerous times without any dramas but the last two have backfired spectacularly. I think there's something about the last update or so that's fucked it.
  • Tonka 1 Jan 2017 13:21:16 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @greg_wha did you check for new drivers from the DAC manufacturer?
  • greg_wha 1 Jan 2017 14:16:05 979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka Yeah, but you can only install new firmware to the DAC using Windows (!?). Not sure what that's about.

After messing around abit, put the DAC to one side and the same thing is happening using the line out on the computer. So it's not the DAC. Confused...
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2017 06:48:26 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nothing to be confused about. Your computer is fucked, simple as that.

Do you have Apple Care?
  • greg_wha 2 Jan 2017 09:12:59 979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka Haha! :lol: Thanks for the optimism!

Confusing because everything else worked but 6music through Safari cut out after half and hour, so............................................................

Turned out I needed to upgrade fucking Flash. :redface:

Still have to power the DAC down and on again when waking the Mac though, but I can live with that. I'll probably have to buy a 100 audiophile grade USB cable to sort that out, no doubt.
  • convz 10 Mar 2017 09:42:02 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can anyone please recommend a good place to get a used MacBook Pro from please? We purchased our current one from the HotUKDeals for sale forum and couldn't be happier with it, but they are listed very rarely.

I find Ebay a bit hit or miss generally plus the fees are huge, and the price is too high for us on the official refurbished store. Thanks!
  • nickthegun 10 Mar 2017 09:49:35 71,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're cheaping out and not in a particular hurry, old models occasionally crop up on Groupon at a decent discount.
  • convz 10 Mar 2017 10:05:13 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks, yeah no rush because her old white MacBook still just about works (boot problems aside) so I'll keep an eye on Groupon :)

The most recent sale they had was the brand new MacBook for 1300 - the price it arguably should've been when it was released imo! Still can't justify the price when we paid half that for one with similar specs in immaculate condition. I know the new one is smaller, more efficient etc.
  • beastmaster 12 Apr 2017 20:38:51 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iOS 10.3.1 won't verify on any devices. It seems to be that it can't contact the verification severs but it says it's no longer connected to the internet. Everything is new and up-to-date.

I've seen all kinds of different solutions but surely it's just a case of "go away and come back later"?
  • wuntyphyve 14 Jun 2017 08:58:22 9,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Erm, looking for any assistance if poss.

Other day I got a second hand Mac Pro from eBay. Nothing new there as it's not the first time I've bought a second hand Mac. In fact, most of the Macs I've bought have been second hand. I think I may have finally bought a shitter though.

Anyway. It's a 2008 Mac Pro running OSX El Capitan. 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro4000 graphics card. 2x3.2GHz Processor.

I boot it up and I get the apple logo and progress bar but near the end of it's boot the screen corrupts. It then opens the OS fine and gives me the desktop with dock etc. And that's where it ends. Sometimes I can move the pointer and even go so far as clicking on an app, but even if it lets me that far, moments later the system freezes (often accompanied by a slight corruption in the background image). Only recourse is to do a hard shut down with the power button.

If I start it in safe mode, it's fine. And I have ran disk utiity, a full service with Onyx, downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for this OS, I've reset the PRAM and also binned all the prefs that I would need to in the User and System Library folder. I've also physically checked the connections of the graphics card and the RAM.

All to no joy.

Naturally I'm contacting the sellar today but I can't really be arsed with the hassle to return it. It's also fully setup with all the software I need (CS6 Extended, MS Office suite) and the spec is perfect. If I need to return it I will though. Just surprising I've been sold a dud and wondered if there was anything here that I'm missing to try before packing it all back up?

Edited by wuntyphyve at 08:59:20 14-06-2017
  • [maven] 14 Jun 2017 09:40:32 5,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmmm.

I would (again) try re-seating the graphics card and memory.

If that gives no joy, a clean re-install (maybe see if you can make a backup first using target-disk mode).

Importantly, NVRAM reset first, followed directly (no booting the possibly corrupted OS in-between) by an SMC controller reset, again followed directly by clean install (either with Internet Recovery, or from a USB stick).

But then duds (or something being damaged in transport) happen...
  • Tonka 30 Aug 2017 08:04:15 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm in the enviable situation when it's time to upgrade my work computer.
    My current one is a 2009 (!_!) MacBook PRO with 8GB of ram and an SSD. It's working surprisingly well. I do get the occasional Beachball of Dread and weird aritfacting in Chrome but it's mostly fine for what I do.

Most intense is when I'm running Illustrator and Photoshop and Keynote at the same time. That usually ends with me quitting Slack and Chrome for a while.

So yep. That's the background. Now for the fun part.

I want something that can handle the above mentioned workload but that is a light weight as possible. I was set on a fully upgraded entry level MacBook PRO (did you know that you can't spec that to the same level as the one with the Touch Bar?). I have zero interest in the Touch Bar since I use an external monitor and keyboard and keep my laptop closed at all times.

But then I thought... why not go for the MacBook? Much smaller and lighter so I might actually start taking it home more often to work on that Pokemon clone my son wants to make.

But that only has a single USB-C port which is really pushing it... So the MacBook Air then? I'd get an SD card with that. But that feels gimped specwise...

Now for some actual questions
    Is there a place where I can compare different models to each other and to my current old one? (I suspect even the lowest MacBook Air is actually more powerful than my eight year MBP)
    Do you have a recommendation for which one to get?
  • beastmaster 30 Aug 2017 08:15:55 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Waits of the inevitable "Buy a PC" comment.

You may have problems comparing to what you current have. I don't know if this is any good

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/
  • RichieTenenbaum 30 Aug 2017 08:24:10 2,693 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your best bet is to do what I did and get a 2015 MacBook Pro. The last revision before the stupidity. Still quick. Still got all the ports.
  • SYS64738 30 Aug 2017 08:43:31 4,715 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Always makes me chuckle when seeing people state the manufacturing year of Apple gear. Do you also keep track of GB download mileage, service history and number of previous owners?

Also don't understand why anyone would want to buy a second hand (and still expensive) laptop - I know the answer will be "cos they're that well built" but the internals will be out of date.

Just buy a (new) PC;)
  • uiruki 30 Aug 2017 10:15:04 4,410 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I suspect the MacBook might actually be fast enough for you (and silent!) but you might want to consider 16GB of ram if you run multiple CC apps alongside stuff like Chrome. The main thing with the single port that isn't cancelled out by a small dock (don't buy the apple adapter, it's about as reliable as their lightning cables) is the fact it isn't Thunderbolt so you can't drive 4K at more than 30Hz. The portability really is great though, I can just slip mine into a bag and it's barely noticeable. Much better than the cheapo Thinkpad "ultrabook" my work has given me!

It might actually be worth waiting for the next lot of the Pro if you want lots of power though as it seems like they're going to have a quad core in the 13" model which would be a more significant upgrade, and the 13" Pro isn't a brick or anything. Dell's put a quad in the current XPS13 so I'd definitely expect it next refresh.
  • elstoof 30 Aug 2017 10:36:57 18,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Always makes me chuckle when seeing people state the manufacturing year of Apple gear
    Because it's a lot easier than saying "it's a MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo and DDR3 memory, an NVidia 9400M and MiniDisplayport". Also, you can actually say things like "2009 MacBook" because they're still running, every windows laptop from the era is in landfill by now
  • Tonka 30 Aug 2017 12:53:31 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Also, you can actually say things like "2009 MacBook" because they're still running
    This. It came as a bit of a shock when I realized how old it is. I have other reasons for not picking a PC. My office is all Mac so there'd be the added complications of that if I switch. Plus, I have a ton of old Keynore presentations I regularly cut and paste from.

They'd all be going out the window (he WINDOW:::: LOLOLOL)

And seeing as the most visual part of my job is client presentations it's a bad idea to go from one program I know the ins and out of to PowerPoint.

Other than that though I'd be quite happy to go for the new Surface Laptop or that Del XPS or whatever. I just don't think it'd be worth the added hassle.
  • Tonka 30 Aug 2017 12:57:52 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I suspect the MacBook might actually be fast enough for you (and silent!) but you might want to consider 16GB of ram if you run multiple CC apps alongside stuff like Chrome.

The portability really is great though, I can just slip mine into a bag and it's barely noticeable.

I don't think I've ever seen a 4K monitor in real life so that bit isn't a problem. That portability sounds so sweet though. At the moment I hate it when I have to carry my MBP with me.

Do you really think there will be yet another update to the MBP soon? Took them ages before and now they plopped two out within a year. I think they'll go back to being full on assholes again.
  • DukeSilver 30 Aug 2017 13:13:37 2,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Useful website about likely Apple new releases

Edit: Probably a good time to buy.

Edited by DukeSilver at 13:15:07 30-08-2017
  • SYS64738 30 Aug 2017 13:31:35 4,715 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Always makes me chuckle when seeing people state the manufacturing year of Apple gear
    Because it's a lot easier than saying "it's a MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo and DDR3 memory, an NVidia 9400M and MiniDisplayport". Also, you can actually say things like "2009 MacBook" because they're still running, every windows laptop from the era is in landfill by now
    That sort of suggests there's only one fixed spec per model per year. If that's the case then fair enough.

I take your point about most cheaper Windows laptops to some extent, but from personal experience (and I would normally go for the 800-1300 Eur price bracket) the reason to ditch them is out of date components rather than failing shells or screens.

My previous notebooks still work fine (I do take care of my gadgetry though) but their hardware intestines can't cope with the latest software which is why I replace them eventually. (and yes - software = mostly games).

Would assume it's not that different with Macbooks although I guess people use them for different things (from what I gather mainly professional artistic work and, uh, browsing for the rest) meaning they can survive on old tech for longer.

Edited by SYS64738 at 13:40:40 30-08-2017
  • Tonka 30 Aug 2017 13:50:46 26,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Main reason for a Mac to get slow is Apple shoddy OSX updates.
  • elstoof 30 Aug 2017 13:56:32 18,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There sort of is a broadly fixed spec per year, about three models of varying power get launched with each refresh and that's what you choose from until the next refresh, they'll all have the same features so it's useful shorthand to say the year and people will probably think oh that's the one with FireWire and SuperDrive
  • beastmaster 30 Aug 2017 14:39:36 17,589 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    May be a refresh in Sept. They do the new iPhone obviously t their event but will probably have a new ATV, homepod (whatever they've called it) and a few other things.

Wouldn't surprise me if they updated the Air and did a few more refreshes etc.
  • dankcushions 30 Aug 2017 15:21:55 327 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Would assume it's not that different with Macbooks although I guess people use them for different things (from what I gather mainly professional artistic work and, uh, browsing for the rest)
    is it 2003?

anyway, back to the question: i have a macbook air 2015 13" and i use it for xcode (C/C++ programming) and, the usual torrenting/browsing/etc. it's pretty snappy! no issues multitasking. i got the 8gb ram model. the size and weight is awesome - i essentially use it as an ipad in the evening as it's so light.

last time i checked, current macbook pros were very close to the air in size and weight, but older models were significantly chunkier/heavier. for me that would be a deal breaker.
  • elstoof 30 Aug 2017 15:39:13 18,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah new MBPs are super thin, they still had SuperDrive in 2009 right? I dug out my old 2008 for my wife to use while I took our current 2013 on a trip, those older ones were beasts in comparison and the latest ones are even thinner than mine.

Also got a new iMac coming tomorrow, been about 15 years since I had a desktop
  • uiruki 30 Aug 2017 16:11:24 4,410 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I went from a 2013 MacBook Air to a 2016 MacBook and the difference in size and weight was pretty surprising. Anything you get now will be a big leap from the old Pro you have, for sure. The keyboards will also be a surprise so make sure you have a try in an Apple Store. Also try picking one up, the 12" one isn't much more than an iPad with a cover.

Good point on the refresh thing - apple tend to refresh a bit later than others as their processors aren't the basic 15W ones that come out first. If you want a new machine now then if there's nothing in the iPhone event (there usually isn't) then go ahead.

My MacBook is my favourite computer I've owned, and I include my fast and quiet pc desktop in that. It's tiny, convenient and does everything I can throw it it quickly with one exception - I still have to use a bigger machine for Premiere Pro (and games, of course).
  • Zerobob 30 Aug 2017 16:59:05 1,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Your best bet is to do what I did and get a 2015 MacBook Pro. The last revision before the stupidity. Still quick. Still got all the ports.
    That's exactly what I did. I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro from the Apple refurb shop early this year, unfortunately after Apple hiked their prices. I'm extremely happy with it though, and definitely made the right decision. Fast, great screen, and by far the most usable laptop I've ever experienced by a long shot. My biggest regret is not buying one sooner, and instead waiting for the disappointing 2016 Macbook Pro... Last time I listen to internet buying advice!

The MacBook range really is a mess now, with no solid options. You have either the underpowered Macbook which may suit some, the completely out of date Macbook Air with its awful screen, the underpowered Macbook Pro without touchbar or any useful ports, or the overpriced Macbook Pro with touchbar but still with no useful ports.

Additionally, after the 2016 Macbook Pro reveal and subsequent price hikes, I bought a Dell XPS 13 as an alternative. It soon became apparent this wasn't a quality product though, and I was forced to return it due to coil whine issues, sleep mode issues, trackpad issues, Windows software issues (introduced by Dell's tinkering), audio hiss issues, and heat issues on both the laptop and charging brick. I would highly recommend avoiding the XPS line of laptops.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.