Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 38

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Telepathic.Geometry 17 Jul 2013 08:38:13 11,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah balls. That puts a dampener on my plans for having an English movies club. I guess I can still do it at 480p, but we have a decent projector system, so it seems like a bit of a waste. :/

I have to check see if I can use component video or something. The thought of those pixels falling to their death out of a piece of shit cable breaks my heart...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• beastmaster 17 Jul 2013 08:43:06 10,179 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone here encrypted their hard drive? If so, what have you used and does it make performance any slower?

I'm running of an SSD, which is rather bloody fast.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• nickthegun 17 Jul 2013 09:11:12 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you mean filevault, it depends on a number of things, namely:

1) Filevault 1 or 2
    2) AES enabled processor Y/N?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Widge Moderator 17 Jul 2013 10:53:56 12,599 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it me or is it a FUCKING BALLACHE to unpack a multi-zip/rar on OSX?

I was having a pisser trying to track down Traktor Pro 2 to install (legally I might add, I have an S4 & serial)... so thought "bugger that". Went to a torrent site and just grabbed the dmg file from there.

Thing comes down and it is packed in a layer of zip then a layer of rar. I could not for the life of me get the zips to unpack to a single folder. It created a folder per zip, each folder containing a piece of rar.

Surely it must be easier than this?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• nickthegun 17 Jul 2013 10:56:56 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a file do this and ended up just copying all of the zips to the same folder.

It did it with unrarx and the unarchiver, so I couldnt be arsed to find an alternative.

He totally called it

• spindizzy 17 Jul 2013 13:48:36 6,400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think I completely understand what the problem is (I've never had this particular issue) but if you're not too scared by the command line, maybe 'unzip -d' would do what you wanted?
  • dominalien 17 Jul 2013 15:57:20 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Ah balls. That puts a dampener on my plans for having an English movies club. I guess I can still do it at 480p, but we have a decent projector system, so it seems like a bit of a waste. :/

I have to check see if I can use component video or something. The thought of those pixels falling to their death out of a piece of shit cable breaks my heart...
    Something that can display better than 480i should have inputs which accept better than 480i... :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• nickthegun 17 Jul 2013 16:02:17 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    I don't think I completely understand what the problem is (I've never had this particular issue) but if you're not too scared by the command line, maybe 'unzip -d' would do what you wanted?
    Its for zip files that have been compiled on PCs and have a moderately complex directory structure when its been unzipped. The directory structure is often shagged on a mac when you try to unzip it.

He totally called it

• RyanDS 20 Jul 2013 22:19:51 8,700 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck me.

Had my iMac for around 2 years now. One of the keys managed to pop off on the keyboard, so I googled and tried to clip it back on, only to have it all wonkey and loose.

I heard that the Apple stores were quite good with things like this, and saw there was one nearby so decided to take a drive there today.

Me: Hi, entirely my fault, but I messed up trying to put back a key onto this 2 year old keyboard. Any chance one of your guys can pop the key off and stick it back on for me?

Staff: Sorry dude, we are far too busy for that sort of thing today so no...

Me: Oh, well that's a bit shi..

Staff: ...it is much easier just for us to give you a new keyboard. Here you go.

No questions, didn't ask my name, where I bought it, anything. They simply gave me a brand new keyboard, and to top it off the guy stopped me as I was walking away to make sure I had the reciept for the new one so I had a 2 year warrenty on the new one.

Fuck I hate the overpriced, walled garden, trendy shit that Apple do. But fuck me that is some amazing service. All they need to do is add a number pad onto the wireless keyboard and I might start to become a genuine fan.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 20 Jul 2013 22:22:45 12,734 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's pretty cool!
  • RyanDS 20 Jul 2013 22:25:56 8,700 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    That's pretty cool!
    I moan enough about shit service and that. I figure I should give a shout out when it is good.

I kind of see why the Apple premium exists now.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 07:42:25
    Help! My mbp is fucked. Won't start up, appears to be the hard drive. Went into disk utility and tried to repair it. Told me it can't. Tried fsck, it failed. Cunt fuck. I was looking at buying a new one soon anyway (an air) but only really on the basis that i could sell this. Plan is now somewhat fucked.

Is there anyway to get my data off their before reformatting? I can't remember the last time I did a full backup which can only be a bad sign. Important files are on cloud storage but it will still be a ball ache to lose everything else.
  • kalel 21 Jul 2013 07:53:13 83,877 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd go to an apple store and see why they can do. No time machine I take it?
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Jul 2013 08:30:00 4,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mowgli really does have the worse kind of bad luck with electronic goods.

... take your MacBook to an Apple store with your receipt (if you still have it, of course) and go from there.

Put a pair of gloves on in the future!
  • nickthegun 21 Jul 2013 08:30:08 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1) find a spare mac
    2) aquire Data Rescue and install it on the spare mac
    3) put fucked mac into target disk mode and plug it into spare mac
    4) run data rescue

There are several caveats with the above namely that, depending on how fucked your disk is, it can complete in an hour but I have seen it take three weeks.

He totally called it

• dominalien 21 Jul 2013 08:41:46 6,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First things first. Do the Apple hardware test. I don't remember if it checks the smart status of disks, but if it doesn't, get something like system rescue cd and check what smart says. If it appears the drive is ok, it could be memory.

If the hdd appears mechanically ok, put the Mac in target disk mode and try to repair it from another computer.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:17:21
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mowgli really does have the worse kind of bad luck with electronic goods.

... take your MacBook to an Apple store with your receipt (if you still have it, of course) and go from there.

Put a pair of gloves on in the future!
    I really do but it is only recently. I don't know what the fuck is going on but everything I own is going tits up.

Annoyingly I'm no where near an apple store at the moment.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:18:38
    kalel wrote:
    I'd go to an apple store and see why they can do. No time machine I take it?
    Nope annoyingly. I have a backup or two from a while ago somewhere but moving house has made this even more annoying.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:20:56
    nickthegun wrote:
    1) find a spare mac
    2) aquire Data Rescue and install it on the spare mac
    3) put fucked mac into target disk mode and plug it into spare mac
    4) run data rescue

There are several caveats with the above namely that, depending on how fucked your disk is, it can complete in an hour but I have seen it take three weeks.
    Will try this with the wife's macbook, cheers.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:22:29
    Actually fuck that it costs 100 quid!

Any other apps I can use?

Edited by mowgli at 09:29:46 21-07-2013
  • nickthegun 21 Jul 2013 09:33:59 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    notice the word 'acquire'

He totally called it

• Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:38:25
    nickthegun wrote:
    notice the word 'acquire'
    Ah yes, it's been so long since I sailed the pikey seas I didn't even think about that.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 08:40:49
    So. Took hdd out, tore apart an old external drive to use the connectors and was able to plug the mbp drive into another computer and grab my important files. Put hdd back into mbp and try to erase it so can reinstall. That fails. Took it out again and connected to other mac to format it from their and it isn't showing up. Am u now safe to just assume that the hdd is completely fucked or us there anything else I can try? I really don't want to spend much money on it as I was planning on selling it to mac2cash (can't be fucked with ebay). But without a replacement hdd I won't be able to get it booting.
  • Ryze 22 Jul 2013 11:16:01 3,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you connect it to another mac and hold 'T' during the bootup? That's 'Target Disk Mode'.

It turns your mac into a Firewire hard drive, essentially.

If that doesn't help, then you need a hard drive. They're not expensive.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 11:18:10
    I didn't have a firewire cable and I'm the middle of bloody no where at the moment unfortunately si never even got the chance to try target disk mode.
  • spindizzy 22 Jul 2013 13:28:12 6,400 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you can't format it from another computer, I think it's safe to say the drive is fucked. Bad luck - I recently had something similar happen but in my case it was the SATA cable inside the mac (which seems extremely failure-prone). And then my new SSD drive failed 2 weeks after buying it. It's all good now though (fingers firmly crossed!)
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 17:03:49
    I know I've asked this before but can't be arsed to trawl back the pages to see if there were any solutions, but what's the best method of cleaning up a Mac to improve performance? The one I use as my basic workhorse (2008 iMac) is absolutely crawling recently with the disk churning away in the background like a lumbermill, despite nothing really being all that different.

It's used as a network share and a word processor and that's really about it. But it can barely tolerate a browser window playing Netflix at the moment.
  • nickthegun 21 Aug 2013 17:16:57 55,869 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wipe the drive and reinstall OSX
    MOAR RAM
    SSD

He totally called it

• MMMarmite 21 Aug 2013 17:18:20 911 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe give OnyX a try - it'll allow you to run a load of clean-up and maintenance tasks from a GUI rather than having to dig out terminal commands.

...and as Nick said, more RAM can never hurt ;)

Edited by MMMarmite at 17:19:28 21-08-2013
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 17:21:06
    Shall give Onyx a try, ta. Don't want to wipe the OS as it'll just be a massive pain to redo all the network shares, and there's no point upgrading this piece of shite anyway. It works fine usually, just not over the past week or so.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last