Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 37

  • Page

    of 44 First / Last

  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2013 18:33:58 79,199 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    anyjungleinguy wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Not nonsense at all, it's a fact. Google away, assuming your browser is still able to. Either you know fuck all about unix and/or OSX or you just refuse to admit it.

    Probably both looking at the fucking dribblers around here lately.
    If anything, Unix is known for its brilliant memory management. If you'd have done the research yourself, or indeed know as much as you claim to, you'd realise that it's celebrated as one of its strengths. You're calling that shit out as a 'fact' but I can guarantee you won't find a single paper to back you up.

    "For a server with a UPS, great."

    Hahahaha, why are you mentioning a server with a UPS? A UPS has fuck all to do with memory management. The only saving grace for this comment is if you're confusing memory with power management. There, you might have a basis for your comment as vendors typically provide woeful ACPI drivers for *nix systems which leads to horrible power management and therefore shit battery life.

    Otherwise, you're trying to infer that UNIX memory management is only viable when you're running a system 24/7 and that if you "turned on and off 5 or more times a day" you're somehow going to have major performance problems that only a restore could solve. Please, please explain your "logic" behind this because I can't even begin to decipher the stupidity.

    Seriously, you're spouting absolute shite.
    Here's the problem, Unix is not an OS that was ever meant to be turned on and off. when you do so, it dumps the memory to disk and forces references to that data instead of reloading and accessing memory for it, over time that impacts performance like nothing else and nothing fixes a sluggish mac like a reinstall. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know all about this - it's okay to admit that macs get boggy over time.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • spindizzy 5 Jul 2013 13:37:01 6,610 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, who said anything about turning off the machine? I almost NEVER turn my macs off - except for a reboot after a patch.

    But even then I have no idea what you're talking about - I guess you mean suspending rather than actually turning off, right? Because why would it dump anything to disk if you shut it down completely? But even then why do you think you need to do a reinstall ... even if what you were saying about the memory is true (and I've never heard it before), surely a reboot will clear out any caches.

    Actually I'm just completely baffled - what ARE you talking about? Is vizzinitis catching?

    Edited by spindizzy at 13:38:03 05-07-2013
  • HitchHiker 5 Jul 2013 15:01:16 2,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think DB is referring to disk caches that are used to increase performance of system boot and not live memory management. I have had a situation, once, where a system cache was over 2GBs because of corruption and it was eating into my system memory as soon as I boot up. This was fixed by wiping it out and then everything was back to super smooth running.

    You can clear these disk caches anytime easily with an application like Onyx or manually if you low where to look but most people recommend you don't unless you have a problem.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jul 2013 16:04:35 79,199 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was me that originally told you about Onyx.

    I bought it up when people were complaining about the performance loss last time, not that it helps much, I never got much of a boost from it, the only thing that really solves it is a reformat.

    Everyone can feel free to share more denial though.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 16:09:23 05-07-2013

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • spindizzy 5 Jul 2013 17:03:58 6,610 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only time I've got a boost from a reformat is because I had years of crud from successive upgrades. I had programs spamming the console because they no longer worked.

    All operating systems use caches, and of course I guess anything can get corrupted, and so it could cause problems. This doesn't make it a systematic issue. And it doesn't explain your original point :

    Unix is not an OS that was ever meant to be turned on and off. when you do so, it dumps the memory to disk and forces references to that data instead of reloading and accessing memory for it, over time that impacts performance like nothing else and nothing fixes a sluggish mac like a reinstall.
    where I still have no idea what you meant...

    Edit: AH! Do you mean the maintenance scripts won't run? It's not what you said, but that could THEORETICALLY cause problems, and IS a 'feature' of Unix. And it's exactly that kind of thing Onyx fixes (though you can just as easily do it from the command line...)

    Edited by spindizzy at 17:06:17 05-07-2013
  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 18:27:51
    Getting away from yearly reformats is the exact reason I switched to macs from windows and it has been great so you are speaking shit.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jul 2013 19:17:29 79,199 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yearly formats on windows? Now look who's talking shit.

    Keep up the denial though guys, it's a cracking read! Unix, for clarity, is an amazing OS, it's just a shame it bears little resemblance to that sugar frosted child friendly thing on macs.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 19:21:41 05-07-2013

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 19:24:46
    No we are all in denial. Lying to ourselves on a daily basis with our macs right in front of us. While you, the epitome of unbiased discussion, is letting us know how broken our computers are.
  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 19:55:46
    Wait, has DB been secretly reformatting our macs to keep them running so smoothly all these years?
  • dominalien 5 Jul 2013 20:31:56 7,065 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait, I'm lost. What is DB? Is it some kind of tool?

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 21:23:26
    Yes.
  • spindizzy 5 Jul 2013 21:35:08 6,610 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yearly formats on windows? Now look who's talking shit.

    Keep up the denial though guys, it's a cracking read! Unix, for clarity, is an amazing OS, it's just a shame it bears little resemblance to that sugar frosted child friendly thing on macs.
    What's happened to you man? You never used to be THIS aggressive!

    I work at CERN (as I guess you know) and I'd estimate that in meetings 90% of people are using macs. When I started it was about 10%. Most of our software is now ported to work on macs - it's fairly easy as they ARE running unix. All of our server farms are Linux (we're not crazy!) but having a nice well made laptop that can run the same software as the servers, but with an elegant GUI on top is really, really useful.

    It's not perfect of course, and for me shifting to ML was pretty painful. And time machine has caused me a LOT of ball ache. But it's still (IMO) the best all round solution.

    Anyway, I'm fine if you don't agree, if just really like to know what the hell you were talking about before!

    Edited by spindizzy at 21:35:50 05-07-2013
  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 21:48:06
    Love it, 90% of cern are using macs and db is still arguing the broken sugar frosted bullshit line.
  • Progguitarist 6 Jul 2013 22:22:21 10,533 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are mac mini's rubbish? I've been offered what seems like a half decent one (Core 2 Duo 2.66 4gb RAM). I just need it to finish this bloody album. Would I be able to copy the contents of my macbook pro into it?
  • DrStrangelove 6 Jul 2013 22:24:56 4,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know much about the tech behind it, all I know is Mac sucks and I wish I had bought a Windows 8 laptop instead of a Macbook Pro.

    Quality hardware though. Shame about the software.

    edit: quality hardware expect for the stuff that breaks, like the first-gen Macbook Airs or Retina Macbooks.

    And except for my MBPro heating up like a hob.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:39:04 07-07-2013
  • DrStrangelove 6 Jul 2013 22:28:29 4,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Love it, 90% of cern are using macs and db is still arguing the broken sugar frosted bullshit line.
    CERN, weren't that the guys who built the LHC that broke down for a year shortly after start?

    Hugely expensive, but breaking down like everything else? I sense a pattern...

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:40:39 07-07-2013
  • spindizzy 7 Jul 2013 06:38:18 6,610 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Love it, 90% of cern are using macs and db is still arguing the broken sugar frosted bullshit line.
    CERN, weren't that the guys who built the LHC that broke down for a year shortly after start?

    Hugely expensive, but breaking down like everything else? I sense a pattern...
    Yeah, we should have bought an off-the-shelf proton accelerator, that would have been WAY better!

    I realise you're joking, (or at least you hope you are) but if you only knew a TINY bit of how impressive the LHC is... Even with the teething problems, the LHC is commonly agreed to be the most successful accelerator of all time, and is almost certainly humanities greatest technical achievement to date.

    I suspect Apple would be fairly happy to be compared to CERN. ;-)
  • KayJay 7 Jul 2013 07:02:58 5,290 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is that aeroplane out of Angles & Demons real?
    You know the one that took Langdon over to CERN?
    ;)
  • dominalien 7 Jul 2013 07:23:52 7,065 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Are mac mini's rubbish? I've been offered what seems like a half decent one (Core 2 Duo 2.66 4gb RAM). I just need it to finish this bloody album. Would I be able to copy the contents of my macbook pro into it?
    A C2D mini is just that: a pretty fast machine, but nowhere near something based on a Core CPU. I bet it's going to be fast enough for music production (that's what you're doing, right?) There's a migration assistant that allows you to copy stuff between computers. Just make sure you have enough space on the target drive.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Progguitarist 7 Jul 2013 10:21:40 10,533 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien so a Mac mini that is similarly specced to a Mac pro would be slower?
  • dominalien 7 Jul 2013 10:45:24 7,065 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Progguitarist

    It would be, if only because it'll have a 2.5" HDD and an integrated gfx card. The latter you may not even notice in desktop use, but the former you will.

    That said, Mac Pros have significant different architectures, with their Xeons and buffered RAM.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Progguitarist 7 Jul 2013 10:52:54 10,533 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien So for want of a better description, it's equivalent to a laptop? I'm thinking of going for the 2012 mac mini (i5) model now.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2013 11:01:07
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Love it, 90% of cern are using macs and db is still arguing the broken sugar frosted bullshit line.
    CERN, weren't that the guys who built the LHC that broke down for a year shortly after start?

    Hugely expensive, but breaking down like everything else? I sense a pattern...
    Can't tell if being ironic, or in fact a spastic.
  • dominalien 7 Jul 2013 11:01:32 7,065 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Progguitarist

    It's certainly based on laptop components. It would be roughly comparable to one of the 13" MacBook Pros.

    This is probably the computer you're looking at. It may give you some idea of what you'd be getting.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Jeepers 7 Jul 2013 11:03:25 13,313 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @dominalien So for want of a better description, it's equivalent to a laptop? I'm thinking of going for the 2012 mac mini (i5) model now.
    Yup, a Mac Mini is pretty much a laptop without a screen. I'd *guess* that the HDD will be your biggest problem for audio work. With memory a close second.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Jul 2013 11:14:36 4,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:

    I realise you're joking, (or at least you hope you are) but if you only knew a TINY bit of how impressive the LHC is...
    I do know that, but I had to surrender reasonable consideration to make my post work. My hands were tied.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 11:16:40 07-07-2013
  • spindizzy 7 Jul 2013 12:46:03 6,610 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough then! ;-)
  • Progguitarist 7 Jul 2013 13:25:05 10,533 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jeepers It's upgradable to 15gb. My current computer only has 3! Should be wayyyy more than enough.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 17 Jul 2013 07:56:02 11,558 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick question here about AV cables. I'm thinking of getting the iPad RCA cable (Red Yellow and White cable) so that I can show movies at my school, and watch it on my own telly. But, am I right in saying that that cable has an upper limit of 480i?

    || PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

  • dominalien 17 Jul 2013 08:01:03 7,065 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Page

    of 44 First / Last

Log in or register to reply