Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 36

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• RyanDS 1 Jul 2013 13:42:00 9,429 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I've had a lot of problems with EG specifically in the past with this. Using Ghostery sorted it for me.
    Cheers, I will give it a try.

Puma, I don't use safari as I find it really unstable, and it has a bug where if I open a new tab while another page is still loading it crashes 100% of the time. I normally use Firefox, though am playing around wih chrome at the moment.
  • dominalien 1 Jul 2013 14:22:27 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Yes they are iMessages not network text messages. This is particularly annoying when you change to a non- iPhone phone and people with iPhones send you iMessages thinking they are text messages and you don't get them
    Sending something in Messages to someone without an iPhone should send fine if they're using your phone number to send it. It only jumps onto the iMessage network if the device detects that the number you're sending to is registered with them as being associated with an Apple ID account.

At least that's how it's supposed to work, but I guess when people switch from iPhones to other phones that could cause an issue, but I'd have thought it should still send, and arrive as a normal text.

Although obviously your experience differs!
    The experience I've had with this was it tries to send an iMessage, and when it finds out the recipient is no longer using an iDevice, will switch to sms. No messages were lost.

YMMV, and all that.

PSN: DonOsito

• Progguitarist 3 Jul 2013 13:26:10 10,450 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seeing as all Mac are now intel based. Would I perchance be able to build a computer and install MAC OS onto it? I need to upgrade my studio computer soon and I just can't afford a brand new Mac.

Anyone?
  • kalel 3 Jul 2013 13:27:03 87,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really really doubt it.
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 13:28:52 60,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go to youtube and search for hackintosh

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• speedofthepuma 3 Jul 2013 13:29:06 13,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's pretty much what Apple are all about.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Armoured_Bear 3 Jul 2013 13:30:47 11,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I've had a lot of problems with EG specifically in the past with this. Using Ghostery sorted it for me.

Puma, I don't use safari as I find it really unstable, and it has a bug where if I open a new tab while another page is still loading it crashes 100% of the time. I normally use Firefox, though am playing around wih chrome at the moment.
    WHat hardware are you using?
    I find Safari to be extremely fast and stable.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• RyanDS 3 Jul 2013 13:38:21 9,429 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    kalel wrote:

2011 27 iMac with all the optional upgrades.
  • RyanDS 3 Jul 2013 13:39:42 9,429 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is a very common issue, just check the google search, hundreds of complaints to apple but they never bothered to fix.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=safara+crash+imac+open+tab&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#safe=off&client=safari&hl=en-gb&q=safari+crash+mac+open+tab&spell=1&sa=X&ei=TBvUUdezIomshQf_04HABA&ved=0CCkQvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZG4&fp=fc1a48d6aab1c941&biw=1024&bih=672
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 13:40:44 60,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you are using 4gb of RAM, dont bother with eurogamer since it seems to demand 1gb by itself.

It doesnt matter what browser you use, EG is pretty much fucked.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:41:30 03-07-2013

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 13:50:25
    I was just about to say a similar thing. I used to have only 4GB of RAM on my Mac and having only a few tabs open in Chrome (EG included) used to make my Mac chug like a bastard. Upped it to 16GB and it feels like a new machine and I can have a shit load of tabs open.
  • dominalien 3 Jul 2013 13:54:52 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously? I have a few windows and tabs open in FF and it uses 341 MB of memory.

It's on a computer that's also a server, with 4GB RAM and 1.8 GB used.

It's not OS X, though, but that really shouldn't make that much of a difference in browser memory use.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 13:56:45
    Mine was fine for the first year but then really started struggling. All of which perplexed me given it's a quad core and was the best money could buy in 2011. Honestly, the RAM upgrade made a massive difference. Clearly there's something about Mountain Lion or whatever version we're currently on, that is less than efficient.
  • speedofthepuma 3 Jul 2013 14:00:31 13,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had the same experience with a RAM upgrade with a top end 2011 iMac. Souped it up so much more Than I expected.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 14:40:58 60,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My i7 MBP struggled with chrome open until I doubled its ram up to 8gb.

Facebook also takes a load but EG takes the piss.

• SpaceDave3000 3 Jul 2013 19:31:44 78,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unix is not known for it's memory management, in fact it's so utterly unsuitable for use as a laptop OS that I can only think it's some sort of sick joke.

For a server with a UPS, great. On a laptop that's turned on and off 5 or more times a day - enjoy reinstalling every few months to keep the performance you paid for.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:35:57 03-07-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 19:40:26
    Well that's nonsense.
  • anyjungleinguy 3 Jul 2013 19:47:49 20 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Unix is not known for it's memory management, in fact it's so utterly unsuitable for use as a laptop OS that I can only think it's some sort of sick joke.

For a server with a UPS, great. On a laptop that's turned on and off 5 or more times a day - enjoy reinstalling every few months to keep the performance you paid for.
    The title of this thread is idiotic questions, not responses.

I mean, fuck, that statement is beyond retarded.
  • SpaceDave3000 3 Jul 2013 21:03:05 78,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not nonsense at all, it's a fact. Google away, assuming your browser is still able to. Either you know fuck all about unix and/or OSX or you just refuse to admit it.

Probably both looking at the fucking dribblers around here lately.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:08:02 03-07-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Armoured_Bear 3 Jul 2013 21:06:05 11,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    kalel wrote:

2011 27 iMac with all the optional upgrades.
    I have a 2009 iMac with 16GB RAM and it runs great.

/Shrugs

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 21:07:24 60,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No fucking shit.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 21:28:54
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Not nonsense at all, it's a fact. Google away, assuming your browser is still able to. Either you know fuck all about unix and/or OSX or you just refuse to admit it.

Or, of course, I'm actually using (my wife's) white mac book from 2006(?) and it runs fine. And has never been reinstalled.
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Jul 2013 22:02:22 2,215 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have found my mac to go slooooooow if I don't restart it every day or so, rather than just shutting the lid and resuming.

It is 4 years old, though.
  • colinmac 3 Jul 2013 22:28:23 733 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Must be something installed on it on top of OSX, cos I've got one which I'd say is pretty much the same as the day I got it...

Tricky.

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• spindizzy 3 Jul 2013 23:21:31 6,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

I know a pretty decent amount about both unix and osx. You're talking rubbish. What happened to you recently DB? You got way more aggressive.

Edited by spindizzy at 23:22:26 03-07-2013
  • anyjungleinguy 4 Jul 2013 10:29:11 20 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

If anything, Unix is known for its brilliant memory management. If you'd have done the research yourself, or indeed know as much as you claim to, you'd realise that it's celebrated as one of its strengths. You're calling that shit out as a 'fact' but I can guarantee you won't find a single paper to back you up.

"For a server with a UPS, great."

Hahahaha, why are you mentioning a server with a UPS? A UPS has fuck all to do with memory management. The only saving grace for this comment is if you're confusing memory with power management. There, you might have a basis for your comment as vendors typically provide woeful ACPI drivers for *nix systems which leads to horrible power management and therefore shit battery life.

Otherwise, you're trying to infer that UNIX memory management is only viable when you're running a system 24/7 and that if you "turned on and off 5 or more times a day" you're somehow going to have major performance problems that only a restore could solve. Please, please explain your "logic" behind this because I can't even begin to decipher the stupidity.

Seriously, you're spouting absolute shite.
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2013 10:56:09 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's clearly some kind of troll. Why are people responding to that?

• Telepathic.Geometry 4 Jul 2013 15:39:32 11,355 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anybody know a good app to read .cbr files on an iPad Retina?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• nickthegun 4 Jul 2013 15:43:56 60,117 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i use cloud reader for all of my pirated comics.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cloudreaders-pdf-cbz-cbr/id363484920?mt=8

• Telepathic.Geometry 4 Jul 2013 15:57:55 11,355 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's that you say? Pirated? I don't know what you mean sir... /tips hat to nick

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 42 First / Last