of 42 First / Last

• nickthegun 5 Jun 2013 15:25:15 59,532 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://mactracker.ca/

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 5 June 2013 15:28:29
    I will check that out tonight when I get home. This speed boost is particularly timely too. I think next month is my final payment on the finance.
  • Lukus 5 Jun 2013 16:09:52 19,050 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    So what worked?
    sudo nano /private/etc/hosts in the end, after repairing permissions. Suspect I was being a retard at some point or other too...

Paintings & Photographs

• dominalien 5 Jun 2013 17:31:55 6,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    So what worked?
    sudo nano /private/etc/hosts in the end, after repairing permissions. Suspect I was being a retard at some point or other too...
    Happens to the best of us. :-)

In the end, it's the result that matters. Congrats on a terminal job well done.

PSN: DonOsito

• Lukus 5 Jun 2013 22:28:07 19,050 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, thanks :D

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 16:38:40
    Help please i'm seriously losing the fucking will here. I'm trying to root my new nook but my mbp just won't let me write an image to my SD card. I've wiped it. It is open to read and write but using the terminal I'm just getting "Permission denied".

Over and fucking over again. Tried putting Micro Sd card in SD reader and using slot in computer. Tried a micro SD card reader in both my USB ports. It works fine on my wife's ancient macbook but not mine. She has gone with her laptop for now though and I'm determined to do this today.
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2013 16:41:13 59,532 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you put anything on it?

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 16:47:52
    I can easily drag and drop anything onto it. But trying to burn an .img it just isn't happening.
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2013 16:54:12 59,532 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you trying to restore an image onto it through disk utility?

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 17:04:16
    I'm just trying to write the root image onto it. All the guides online point to terminal.
  • beastmaster 6 Jun 2013 17:07:44 11,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I've had something like this before. I had to format the card and use a specific setting. FAT something or other? I also seem to remember having to format one card on a PC before the mac would read it.

It was a very long time ago. But I'm pretty sure its the SD format.

Edit: also try and copy any kind of file to it. You should get the same message.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:08:49 06-06-2013

Edited by beastmaster at 17:09:08 06-06-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mrpon 6 Jun 2013 17:08:20 28,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love it if it was the lock on the SD reader.

Love it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 17:15:36
    Ha it's not locked, it doesn't have a switch and it says I can read and write to it.

Just copied some files and they went over fine.
  • TarickStonefire 6 Jun 2013 17:35:13 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is it an OS thing? Some new and annoying thing Apple have decided they won't let you do for your own safety? Is your GF using an older OS?

EDIT: Sorry, 'wife'.

;)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 17:35:45 06-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jun 2013 08:30:22 11,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't know if this is a common problem, but I just bought an iPad, and the iMessage program asked me for my e-mail address and phone number - which I assumed would be so they could contact me and whatnot.

The problem is, iMessage keeps intercepting messages from my fucking phone provider and sending them to iMessage.

This really worries me. How the fuck are they allowed to do that? Don't I have a separate contract with my phone provider? How the fuck are they able to do that just by me giving them my number?

I can turn it off in the system settings, but I can't delete the phone number from those settings. What the fuck?!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 08:37:08 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    iMessage is the service apple provides. Messages is the app that shows you messages you've received via iMessage, and any MMS and SMS messages received.

If a message is sent or received on the iMessage service it is blue. If it's on the standard network provider's SMS network it's green.

What colour are the messages you're referring to?

• Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jun 2013 08:41:17 11,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty sure they're blue, but the point is that the message was sent to my iPhone, and it appeared on my iPad. I get blue messages on my iPhone too.

I don't want my iPhone and iPad to be connected in that way. :(

• TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 08:44:02 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh yes sorry, iPad. I get it.

Well if an iMessage is sent to you, it will appear on all iMessage devices, that's kind of e advertised purpose. If you don't want that, you'll need to either disable iMessage on your iPad or set up a different iMessage account and have one on your iPhone and one on your iPad, but I can't really understand why anyone would do that, so my vote would be to disable iMessage on your iPad.

So, what are the messages? They're from your network provider? What are they about?

• Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jun 2013 08:49:17 11,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, it's like, a friend of mine sends me a message to my iPhone (the network is softbank) and sends it to my phone number. So, you'd imagine that softbank have my privacy protected right? Like the message is sent to their servers, and then forwarded directly to my phone, but no. Somehow, Apple are able to get that message and then send it to my iPad.

I mean, I can just disable it on my iPad, but I'm not able to delete the phone number from my iPad, meaning anyone could switch it on again. I guess there's no need to panic, but it just seems like a really shocking privacy concern to me. How the fuck are Apple allowed to get those e-mails?

• TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 08:55:06 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I also have my iPhone number listed in the Messages settings on my iPad but when someone sends me an SMS message to my iPhone, I get it on my iPhone and nowhere else. When I'm sent an iMessage to my iPhone, I get it on all my Apple devices.

Is your friend sending you a message from an Apple device or a non-Apple device?

EDIT: You say "how is Apple able to get those emails?" - they aren't emails.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 08:55:47 15-06-2013

• Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jun 2013 09:01:26 11,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I guess you're right and they're not e-mails, but I'm sure that that person is either sending the message to my phone e-mail address or to my phone number. Either way, that's shit that should only arrive on my phone the way I see it...

I guess there's no solution to this problem, so I'll just eat it and switch off the iMessage on the iPad. Cheers for the help though fella...

• TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 09:02:26 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You didn't answer the crucial question, are the incoming messages being sent to you from an Apple device or not?

If they are, everything is working exactly as it should. If they aren't then something weird is happening.

• kalel 15 Jun 2013 09:28:52 87,139 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're iMessages. The end.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jun 2013 09:42:02 11,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, it only works from an Apple device?

Does that mean that the person sending it is in fact NOT using the carrier's network?

Ahh, if that's the case, then everything's cool.

Cheers, that's a weight off my mind!

^_^

• TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 17:35:35 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    So, it only works from an Apple device?

Does that mean that the person sending it is in fact NOT using the carrier's network?

Ahh, if that's the case, then everything's cool.

Cheers, that's a weight off my mind!

^_^
    If they were connected to a mobile network at the time then yes they are using the carrier network; if they were on wifi at the time then they use the wifi network.

It doesn't matter what internet connection is used, though; if sent from Apple to Apple the message will turn up in Messages app on every Apple device the recipient owns, so long as those devices are associated with either the iPhone number or the email address that the sender used, using the iMessage network.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 17:39:22 15-06-2013

• superdelphinus 15 Jun 2013 17:46:02 8,051 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes they are iMessages not network text messages. This is particularly annoying when you change to a non- iPhone phone and people with iPhones send you iMessages thinking they are text messages and you don't get them
  • TarickStonefire 15 Jun 2013 17:52:08 3,048 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Yes they are iMessages not network text messages. This is particularly annoying when you change to a non- iPhone phone and people with iPhones send you iMessages thinking they are text messages and you don't get them
    Sending something in Messages to someone without an iPhone should send fine if they're using your phone number to send it. It only jumps onto the iMessage network if the device detects that the number you're sending to is registered with them as being associated with an Apple ID account.

At least that's how it's supposed to work, but I guess when people switch from iPhones to other phones that could cause an issue, but I'd have thought it should still send, and arrive as a normal text.

Although obviously your experience differs!

• RyanDS 1 Jul 2013 12:56:53 9,270 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't suppose anyone can help me on this one?

My 27inch 2011 iMac has started to be really slow when browsing the net. Pages often hang for ages, for example I will open 5 tabs for threads in the EG forum, 2 will load, the other 3 will just do the loading symbol thing, then suddenly they might load or they might just get stuck loading. It looks like I am using a dial up modem, or having trouble connecting.

However all speed tests say I have a 15 meg connection with very low latency, MP games work fine as well, as do downloads. Same thing happens in Safari, Chrome and Firefox. also any web site from EG to BBC to Cracked.com.

Any idea where to start?
  • kalel 1 Jul 2013 12:59:37 87,139 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had a lot of problems with EG specifically in the past with this. Using Ghostery sorted it for me.
  • speedofthepuma 1 Jul 2013 13:38:32 13,285 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find that problem to be Safari specific, do you have problems with other browsers?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Page

of 42 First / Last