Do you get taxed more for working 2 part time jobs than 1...

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Timmy 6 Feb 2008 17:39:36 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...full time one?

Just wondering as I've seen a possible second part time job I could take instead of getting a a single 40 hour job.

Is a higher rate of tax decided on two incomes or working over a set amount of hours?
  • HarryB 6 Feb 2008 17:41:12 6,115 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have 2 and don't get taxed any more than before when I had 1. But I'm not hitting 40 hours in a week.
  • Ginger 6 Feb 2008 17:42:49 6,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Timmy wrote:
    ...full time one?

Just wondering as I've seen a possible second part time job I could take instead of getting a a single 40 hour job.

Is a higher rate of tax decided on two incomes or working over a set amount of hours?
    I thought the tax rate was based solely on income, so unless your two jobs push you over the threshold, you *should* be fine

London open taekwondo champion

• thefilthandthefury 6 Feb 2008 17:44:58 24,952 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always thought you got taxed more if you had a second job.

I don't know though, I've only ever had one job at a time.
  • wuztrino 6 Feb 2008 17:46:43 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure about 2 part time jobs, if you have 1 full time and 1 part time then you get taxed higher on the secondary job, which pretty much makes it pointless getting a part time job as they are usually crap pay anyway. Unless it's cash in hand then that is great.
  • HarryB 6 Feb 2008 17:47:23 6,115 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    should be purely based on the hours/income... speak to your employer/s, though. They probably know more if you are concerned.
  • Petrarch 6 Feb 2008 17:47:50 3,425 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unless the combined total works out to be more than 34,600 per annum (I think that's the right amount anyway) of earnings, both salaries should remain at a tax of 22% and work out the same as someone earning the same amount with 1 job.

So I believe (in theory at least) 2 people earning the same amount via 1 job and the other via 2 should work out to be roughly the same, with variance coming from previous tax paid and earnings.
  • Ginger 6 Feb 2008 17:49:22 6,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    something ambiguous from directgov

Directgov says:
    If you have two jobs, it is likely that all of your second income will be taxed at the basic or higher rate - depending on how much you earn. This is because all of your allowances will have been used against the income from your main job.
    So it seems there's a clear link to earnings for the two jobs, but it's also not clear whether it's just a "sum up the pay" or something else. Best to give CAB or someone like that a ring

• PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2008 17:51:13 7,834 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    Unless the combined total works out to be more than 34,600 per annum (I think that's the right amount anyway) of earnings, both salaries should remain at a tax of 22% and work out the same as someone earning the same amount with 1 job.

So I believe (in theory at least) 2 people earning the same amount via 1 job and the other via 2 should work out to be roughly the same, with variance coming from previous tax paid and earnings.

How do you only pay 22% on 34,600? That is not fair!
  • Petrarch 6 Feb 2008 17:53:55 3,425 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

You don't, though I have made it unclear reading that again. 34600 to the best of my knowledge is the threshold mark and once you hit it, you're on 40% tax instead of 22%.

My own salary isn't that high (mines more of your average salary) but I wouldn't mind a job with that sort of cash one day.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 17:55:55
    I think the self-employed threshold is 40,000 for the change in tax rate? I know someone who tries not to hit it by not working if they're having a good year and it looks likely.
  • HarryB 6 Feb 2008 17:56:27 6,115 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I earn 6000 a year... alllriiiiight.
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2008 17:59:39 66,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

You don't, though I have made it unclear reading that again. 34600 to the best of my knowledge is the threshold mark and once you hit it, you're on 40% tax instead of 22%.

My own salary isn't that high (mines more of your average salary) but I wouldn't mind a job with that sort of cash one day.

Only the amount you earn above the limit is taxed t 40% though, not the whole lot. Which would be daft.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2008 17:59:40 7,834 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

You don't, though I have made it unclear reading that again. 34600 to the best of my knowledge the threshold and once you hit it, you're on 40% tax instead of 22%.

I pay 33% most months in the UK. (Basic salary is less than 34,600).
  • gamingdave 6 Feb 2008 17:59:46 4,188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I think the self-employed threshold is 40,000 for the change in tax rate? I know someone who tries not to hit it by not working if they're having a good year and it looks likely.

Its less than 40k, but not much. Of course you dont get taxed %40 on all of it if you go over, just that which is above the rate.

To the OP, your tax is bassed on the ammount you earn, nothing else. So if you do 2 jobs, that combined earn the same as 1 job, you'll pay the same tax from year to year. It may be though that you pay more upfront on PAYE of your second job, and then are owed a rebate by HMRC.
  • Ginger 6 Feb 2008 18:04:54 6,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Its less than 40k, but not much. Of course you dont get taxed %40 on all of it if you go over, just that which is above the rate.
    Not like, ooooooooooh, stamp duty for example :(

• DodgyPast 6 Feb 2008 18:07:19 8,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Petrarch wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

You don't, though I have made it unclear reading that again. 34600 to the best of my knowledge the threshold and once you hit it, you're on 40% tax instead of 22%.

don't get confused between income tax and national insurance.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2008 18:09:41 7,834 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Petrarch wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

don't get confused between income tax and national insurance.

That is probably it. I am looking at the total deduction not just the tax bit.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2008 18:10:38 43,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tax is on income, but falls into different bands. Room rental, for instance, is Class A. I think Employment is Class E (a long time since I did tax), but since any and all jobs count as employment, the income will be lumped into this band and taxed accordingly. Thus several low-paid jobs = one high paid job.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Grunk 6 Feb 2008 18:14:27 4,718 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

it's changing to 20% this coming year, which probably doesn't affect anyone till next year since tax is paid a year behind (not sure if PAYE is though).

Also I'm not sure if the 10% band is disappearing or not, guess we'll find out when the nazis make their statement in march.
  • gareth886 7 Mar 2008 16:09:47 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /bump

I've just taken on a part time job to provide a boost to my full time salary. The pay is pretty poor for the part time job 6.20 or something like that. Will I get taxed more on the part time job? Hence making it pointless since the money is so crap anyway.
  • Fat-Boy 7 Mar 2008 16:12:44 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure if you should do or not, but if you want some anecdotal evidence, I do 12 hours of bar work over the weekends, which pays me 90-ish and I take home 70-ish. Seems about the same rate as my normal job.
  • gareth886 7 Mar 2008 16:14:21 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that sounds about right then. Cheers fat boy.
  • monkeypuzzle 7 Mar 2008 16:28:40 1,947 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    To keep it simple; in your main job you will be taxed normally (according to your tax code) while in your second job you will be taxed at basic rate (more heavily) as you will have used your tax allowances in your first job. At the end of the year the tax office will add the figs. together from both jobs and check that you haven't paid too much/little tax based on your combined earnings and a rebate/bill may follow.

This exactly, all you have to decide is whether after 22% tax and 11 % NI , the money you will get from 6.20 hour is going to be worth it. In otherwords your take home from this job will be 4.15 an hour.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• Fozzie_bear 7 Mar 2008 17:27:03 15,489 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkeypuzzle wrote:
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    To keep it simple; in your main job you will be taxed normally (according to your tax code) while in your second job you will be taxed at basic rate (more heavily) as you will have used your tax allowances in your first job. At the end of the year the tax office will add the figs. together from both jobs and check that you haven't paid too much/little tax based on your combined earnings and a rebate/bill may follow.

This exactly, all you have to decide is whether after 22% tax and 11 % NI , the money you will get from 6.20 hour is going to be worth it. In otherwords your take home from this job will be 4.15 an hour.

Don't forget your tax allowance. The first 100 (approx) is free of imcome tax. I think NI starts at a lower figure though.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• gareth886 7 Mar 2008 20:05:33 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkeypuzzle wrote:
    ToonMonkey wrote:

You got to be shitting me! Thats pretty poor. Infact thats crap! Looks like I'll be jacking this job in very fast. Shocking!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next