Question Time Page 27

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 11:39:11 17,273 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I put Farage in the same camp as Calvin Mackenze: a vile, horrible and egotistical individual who occasionally says something with merit but for the most part spouts incendiary rubbish in order to promote themselves and get the occasional clap from ignorant tools. They add nothing to the debate apart from wind-baggery.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 8 November 2013 12:14:01
    Yeah, Calvin Mackenzie is just a thoroughly bad person.
  • mal 8 Nov 2013 12:16:56 22,787 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FWIW last time I checked he was called Kelvin Mackenzie.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• imamazed 8 Nov 2013 12:17:53 5,882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I put Farage in the same camp as Calvin Mackenze: a vile, horrible and egotistical individual who occasionally says something with merit but for the most part spouts incendiary rubbish in order to promote themselves and get the occasional clap from ignorant tools. They add nothing to the debate apart from wind-baggery.
    Preposterous. I agree with that as a description of Mackenzie. But you can't accuse Farage of adding nothing to the debate. He's put UK withdrawl of the EU properly on the map. Whether you're against it or not he's changed the political landscape in a big way; and I wouldn't be that suprised to see UKIP closing in on being the biggest party in next years' EU elections.

I dislike the man. I detest the vast majority of UKIP policy. But it's too easy, and, crucially, wrong, to just claim he's a reactionary old bigot with nothing to contribute.

Edited by imamazed at 12:19:04 08-11-2013
  • Deleted user 8 November 2013 12:18:19
    Mr Sleeps fault
  • Deleted user 8 November 2013 12:21:42
    Do you not think that the trend towards nationalism is historically very common during economic downturns, to credit Farage with adding to the debate is fair but he, himself, is a largely arbitrary factor?

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 12:22:30 08-11-2013
  • RedSparrows 8 Nov 2013 12:28:54 23,847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Worryingly I did agree with Farages on one issue though. Committing to building ships in Scotland ahead of their independence vote next year just seems bizarre. I don't usually have much sympathy for the people of Portsmouth but they have been royally screwed over there.
    Surely it's to head off SNP saying 'HEY LOOK, WE'D HAVE KEPT YOUR JOBS GUYS'.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 12:55:15 17,273 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    But you can't accuse Farage of adding nothing to the debate. He's put UK withdrawl of the EU properly on the map. Whether you're against it or not he's changed the political landscape in a big way; and I wouldn't be that suprised to see UKIP closing in on being the biggest party in next years' EU elections.

As I said, he occasionally says something with merit, clearly he has some points regarding Europe that are relevant but I never get the feeling with him that it is anything further than a grab for power and headlines.

Plus, there will be a dangled referendum that will be pushed around for a while and then disappear again when a bigger issue comes up. I will say this, it has made the Tories look crap so I can't have a problem with that :-)

I dislike the man. I detest the vast majority of UKIP policy. But it's too easy, and, crucially, wrong, to just claim he's a reactionary old bigot with nothing to contribute.

Okay, so my last comment was a bit incendiary as well, I would say my bad articulation is at fault. Farage is similar to what people have been accusing Russell Brand of being, in that he has a lot of things to say but his solutions are redundant or just plain wrong, assuming there are suggested solutions at all.

• Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 12:55:40 17,273 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Mr Sleeps fault
    What's my fault?

• mal 8 Nov 2013 13:01:36 22,787 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Misspelling Kelvin Mackenzie's name, I think. Not that it's a problem - just thought I'd head it off before anyone else copied.

• X201 8 Nov 2013 13:01:51 15,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Was that greek woman the ex-wife of a certain disgraced Lib-Dem MP?

EDIT: That list is getting a bit long these days, depending on your outlook. I mean Chris Huhne.
    Yes
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 13:03:11 17,273 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mal That makes sense, it was my fault. I meant to write Cuntvin Macockzie, obviously.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:04:20 08-11-2013

• Deleted user 8 November 2013 13:04:19
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mr Sleeps fault
    What's my fault?
    I just copied you
  • simsini 8 Nov 2013 13:16:04 320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm surprised that when immigration is mentioned on TV like it was last night, nobody brings up the issue of over population and rarely do they mention the speed of immigration over the last 20 years.

Benjamin Zephaniah was the worst on the panel last night, using stories that didn't relate to the questions posed, especially when the questions were local to Boston. Most of the audience didn't seem like the typical demographic of the local area either. It's been clear that the BBC hand pick the audiences to suit their agenda, but this was even more obvious.
  • Bremenacht 8 Nov 2013 13:30:15 19,230 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boston: Yokels and foreigners. They certainly got some Yokels.

Loved the way Tory woman got herself into trouble of where RN ships are built.
  • rudedudejude 8 Nov 2013 13:53:04 2,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the Boston local population are Poles, it's a big city, like Bourne, for factory / agriculture and eastern European immigration.

Which is great because none of us Brits want to do it.
  • RedSparrows 8 Nov 2013 13:58:08 23,847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    I'm surprised that when immigration is mentioned on TV like it was last night, nobody brings up the issue of over population and rarely do they mention the speed of immigration over the last 20 years.

Benjamin Zephaniah was the worst on the panel last night, using stories that didn't relate to the questions posed, especially when the questions were local to Boston. Most of the audience didn't seem like the typical demographic of the local area either. It's been clear that the BBC hand pick the audiences to suit their agenda, but this was even more obvious.
    Nobody talks about immigration? The BBC has an agenda?

Citations needed.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2013 13:59:31
    Speaking of jobs nobody wants to do, can you imagine if they tried to reignite the coal mining industry.

If people aren't prepared to work the land anymore, can't see anybody wanting to go down a pit and die at the age of 60.
  • DaM 8 Nov 2013 14:03:55 13,435 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Worryingly I did agree with Farages on one issue though. Committing to building ships in Scotland ahead of their independence vote next year just seems bizarre. I don't usually have much sympathy for the people of Portsmouth but they have been royally screwed over there.
    It is very doubtful it will go through...having said that, closing the Clyde yards would have been good for the Yes camp.

They've been running down Portsmouth for ages - it's not the first time they've stopped shipbuilding there, none from 1967 to 2003 I think? If the Yes vote goes through, they can ramp it up - they'll be looking for somewhere to park Trident submarines, how about that? ;)
  • mal 8 Nov 2013 14:08:15 22,787 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of jobs nobody wants to do, can you imagine if they tried to reignite the coal mining industry.

If people aren't prepared to work the land anymore, can't see anybody wanting to go down a pit and die at the age of 60.
    That's what we need the immigrants for.

• TheSaint 8 Nov 2013 14:21:34 14,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    It is very doubtful it will go through...having said that, closing the Clyde yards would have been good for the Yes camp.

They've been running down Portsmouth for ages - it's not the first time they've stopped shipbuilding there, none from 1967 to 2003 I think? If the Yes vote goes through, they can ramp it up - they'll be looking for somewhere to park Trident submarines, how about that? ;)
    That could work, it already looks like a bomb's gone off down there.

Edited by TheSaint at 14:21:50 08-11-2013
  • imamazed 8 Nov 2013 14:26:54 5,882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Farage is similar to what people have been accusing Russell Brand of being, in that he has a lot of things to say but his solutions are redundant or just plain wrong, assuming there are suggested solutions at all.
    Yeh, that's fair.
  • X201 28 Nov 2013 23:28:31 15,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Sturgeon and Reeder expect 10% of the voters to always get the Government that they vote for!?
  • McEwan 28 Nov 2013 23:36:38 509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @X201 Eddi Reader has always been a Romantic Scot. She's still a no' bad singer, though.
  • TheSaint 29 Nov 2013 00:06:37 14,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the Scottish argument that they get stuck with a Tory government without ever voting for one. No different to middle England getting stuck with a Labour government propped up by Scottish votes.
  • McEwan 29 Nov 2013 00:10:14 509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @TheSaint - Democracy! When the majority decides and everyone else has to go with the result! The answer? Go and vote!
  • X201 29 Nov 2013 06:05:28 15,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    McEwan wrote:
    @TheSaint - Democracy! When the majority decides and everyone else has to go with the result! The answer? Go and vote!
    And if none of the parties appeal to you, start your own.

It costs £150 to register your party.
    It costs £500 to stand in a UK election (Get 2.5% of the vote and you get your money back)
  • TheSaint 6 Feb 2014 22:52:05 14,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Starkey on rape: "No means no? No means no..........words."

What a nutter.
  • boo 6 Feb 2014 22:58:43 11,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would never tire of smacking George Galloway in the face with a cricket bat.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 30 First / Last