Question Time Page 2

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 February 2008 15:29:34
    What they need to be doing is raising the age of voting, not lowering it. No one under 30 allowed to vote and no one under 60 allowed to stand for Parliament. The Spartans seemed to like it like that and they were a jolly bunch of folk.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 15:38:25 17,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    make it 20 to vote and 30 to sit but make voting mandatory and add a 'none of the above' option for the "they're all cunts" grumpy people, also go for proportional representation
  • Fat-Boy 6 Feb 2008 15:40:42 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    make it 20 to vote and 30 to sit but make voting mandatory and add a 'none of the above' option for the "they're all cunts" grumpy people, also go for proportional representation

Rubbish, 16 to vote, or no taxation until 20. It's a fucking disgrace that people in this country can have money taken from them by the government but get no say in which party that government is made up from.
  • gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 15:41:57 5,644 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Linky

You know, the older I get and the more stories like that I read, the more I think that the best thing for all of us would be to rip the whole lot of them out and elect some completely unsuspecting nobodies every four years - at least we'd have /some/ chance of them not being complete cunts.

In an unusual turn of events we're in complete agreement ;-).

Its an incredibly depressing state of affairs. When power is concentrated amongst so few people corruption is almost certain to ensue.

My personal solution would be to pay every MP 1,000,000 p.a. but ban them from holding any other position while in the job or for 3 years afterwards. On top of this far heavier penalties for infringements of parliamentary standards, possibly even jail terms.

I'd also ban party donations over 10,000 from any organisation and 1,000 from any individual.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 15:42:53 17,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:

Rubbish, 16 to vote, or no taxation until 20. It's a fucking disgrace that people in this country can have money taken from them by the government but get no say in which party that government is made up from.

no taxation till 20 then, cause if we force them to vote they'd vote in pete doherty or the sugababes or something
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 15:43:25
    The idea of 16 year olds being able to vote doesn't really fill me with much glee I have to say. Especially when it seems to get aired as a serious idea.
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:45:47 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    The idea of 16 year olds being able to vote doesn't really fill me with much glee I have to say. Especially when it seems to get aired as a serious idea.

Oh I dunno, any 16 year old that can bother their arse probably actually does want to vote. So it's no bad thing.

I think the problem the government has is getting anyone over the age of 18 just voting their first time "because they can" to continue voting, tbh!
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 15:49:31 23,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What would they actually do if the percentage of people voting dropped to something like 10%?

Personally I prefer to turn up and put 'deliberately spoiled' on the paper rather than not vote, but I am curious. Would they just lie and say more had voted?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Fat-Boy 6 Feb 2008 15:50:26 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Oh I dunno, any 16 year old that can bother their arse probably actually does want to vote. So it's no bad thing.

I think the problem the government has is getting anyone over the age of 18 just voting their first time "because they can" to continue voting, tbh!

Too right Peej. most people are at their most political during their late school and sixth form years (however embarassed they might be of their views at the time, now a days!), so why not let them in early and use their peaked interest, instead of letting it wain.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 15:50:40
    Maybe... [dramatic pause] ...they already have.
  • X201 6 Feb 2008 15:51:21 15,732 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Given the public's distrust of politicians, should all voting forms have a "None of the above" option so that voters can display their distrust?
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:52:18 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Too right Peej. most people are at their most political during their late school and sixth form years (however embarassed they might be of their views at the time, now a days!), so why not let them in early and use their peaked interest, instead of letting it wain.

Hear hear. Not all 16 year olds like to stand around drinking WKD and listening to tinny loud annoying shite on their mobiles out loud...
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 15:52:28 23,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Given the public's distrust of politicians, should all voting forms have a "None of the above" option so that voters can display their distrust?

Of course they should.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Fat-Boy 6 Feb 2008 15:55:50 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Hear hear. Not all 16 year olds like to stand around drinking WKD and listening to tinny loud annoying shite on their mobiles out loud...

Which, let's face it, are not the 16 year olds who would actually bother voting anyway which should avoid 50 Cent being voted in or something.

Actually, knowing this government they'd probably trawl the streets offering an iPod to anyone between 16-18 who voted.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2008 15:56:18 61,272 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to see, however briefly, a system where we vote for people qualified to do the jobs.

Ex-Teachers in Education positions, Dr's as Health Ministers, Ecology Professors as Environment guys.

I dunno how well that would work out in reality, but when im the benevolent dictator of this country, im going to try it out for a while.

I mean, how much worse can they be than fucknut career politicians who know about their roles other than the lies they told to get into them?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 15:56:35 5,644 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    What would they actually do if the percentage of people voting dropped to something like 10%?

Personally I prefer to turn up and put 'deliberately spoiled' on the paper rather than not vote, but I am curious. Would they just lie and say more had voted?

I imagine if it looked like it was heading that way they'd make voting compulsory like they do in some other countries.

If it became secure, cost effective and practical I'd be in favour of there being more use of the internet to conduct referenda (obvioulsy this would need universal access).

I think one of the main reasons people put forward for not voting is that no political party truly reflected their views. If we were able to seperate out some of the issues it may encourage people to take more interest.
  • samk 6 Feb 2008 16:44:10 703 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    its been rubbish since Robin Day left and they started having celebrity panellists

Indeed. I remember watching a Question Time which had Davina McCall on the panel; it was truly embarrassing watching her trying to get across her views.
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 16:46:22 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    samk wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    its been rubbish since Robin Day left and they started having celebrity panellists

Indeed. I remember watching a Question Time which had Davina McCall on the panel; it was truly embarrassing watching her trying to get across her views.

Did she do that weird botox eyebrow thing?

• Ginger 6 Feb 2008 17:02:12 6,916 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    June Sarpong FTUL :(

London open taekwondo champion

• trotskyicepick 6 Feb 2008 17:09:01 369 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they have tv celebrities in order to try and communicate with the 'youth' lol

If your question is to conflictual (like having a dig at one of the panelists) it wont pass the censor, so it needs to be one of them mundane ones, if u actually want to do the starting question.

if u want to have a dig at one of the panelists u might as well not ask a question but put your hand up,and dimbleby might just come to u and u can let rip.....its just u have to do ur research on the panelists and see what skeletons they hiding
  • El_MUERkO 12 Feb 2008 14:00:34 17,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to email my question today so any last ideas should be posted ... .. . now!
  • DaisyD 12 Feb 2008 14:42:42 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm also going on.

Any sensible question suggestions based on this week's news?
  • opalw00t 12 Feb 2008 14:50:15 11,283 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why does the goverment continue to ignore the human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia? Bonus points will be awarded for the use of the word 'oil' and general honesty.

Edit: Or use the BAe - Saudi investigation that was cancelled by the government without much of a reason.

not a force for good

• DaisyD 12 Feb 2008 16:53:11 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've submitted this question:

There have been calls this week to ban the Mosquito device, popular with local councils and police. What methods would you propose to tackle anti-social behaviour amongst youths?

Now I just need to think of a 2nd question to submit on thursday.
  • DaisyD 14 Feb 2008 12:40:43 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need to think of a 2nd question to submit before the show tonight. So, opinions please on, my other question based on today's news. It'll be directed at the Bishop of Hulme:

"Bishops in Sydney &, today, Uganda are boycotting the lambeth conference this year. Where in the Anglican Church do you see a place for homosexuality?"
  • Inquisitor Moderator 14 Feb 2008 12:42:44 14,559 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe something on the Bejing Olympics?

/Ahh, sorry, I see you've decided the topic already.
  • DaisyD 14 Feb 2008 16:20:13 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe El_MUERkO can ask one about that.
  • X201 14 Feb 2008 16:33:34 15,732 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Maybe something on the Bejing Olympics?

/Ahh, sorry, I see you've decided the topic already.

Shame a

Should the Olympics Games only be awarded to countries that have abolished the death penalty.

question would be nice. People would gnaw at the ethical, bad China bone and then realise the "that means the USA too" angle.
  • DaisyD 14 Feb 2008 22:40:39 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That question's being discussed right now
  • DaisyD 14 Feb 2008 22:42:32 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You probably will see a far bit of El_MUERkO and myself too.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last