Question Time

• Page

of 30 First / Last

Previous
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 14:19:24 17,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Question Time is in Watford next Thursday and I've just got a call to confirm I can go.

I have to email them one question that may be used on the show, I assume It's got to be on a topic currently in the news and politically relevant.

I have a couple of questions I can think of but I'm open to ideas, best question could get make a bunch of politicians squirm :D
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 14:20:49 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hit 'em with the old "Declaration of public interests and monies" thang! That's always good entertainment value.
  • coastal 6 Feb 2008 14:24:46 5,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    performance pay for MPs?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 14:27:47 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you like movies with gladiators in?

• gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 14:29:13 5,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you know who the panel are going to be? I'd get a copy of Private Eye to scan for ideas that should make them squirm. There should be plenty.

Years ago when I was young and altruistic I wrote a letter to the then Minister for Health following an appearance on Question Time, the pathetic response I received was the start of my long slide to political apathy.

Oh, and its been rubbish since Robin Day left and they started having celebrity panellists, particularly Tony "I'm an utter knob" Robinson.
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 14:31:19 23,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Should MP's who break election promises be de-elected? If not, why not?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Fat-Boy 6 Feb 2008 14:32:30 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Michael Gove is on, can you ask him why he's such a smug cunt? Thanks.
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 14:37:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    The question is this:
    Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite...

Would you like a toasted teacake?

\o/
  • oceanmotion 6 Feb 2008 14:41:25 16,088 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do MP's who fail at their jobs get another chance to head another job of importance with the chance of messing up again which affects the whole country, people's lifes instead of being fired for good. Doesn't happen in any other industry, why do MPs get away with being incompetent time and again.

Probably a poor question but that's always on my mind when they fuck up.
  • Fat-Boy 6 Feb 2008 14:45:12 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Why do MP's who fail at their jobs get another chance to head another job of importance with the chance of messing up again which affects the whole country, people's lifes instead of being fired for good. Doesn't happen in any other industry, why do MPs get away with being incompetent time and again.

Probably a poor question but that's always on my mind when they fuck up.

Unfortunately, it does happen in other industries. We had a division of our business that has effectively gone under now because our Sales Director failed to sell any of our products. Aforementioned Sales Director was made redundant (we gave up trying to get new contracts) and he is now CEO of one of our competitors. It seems like once you get to a certain level in your chosen field, you'll never drop below it, no matter how shit you are it.
  • gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 14:46:28 5,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Doesn't happen in any other industry, why do MPs get away with being incompetent time and again.

Oh yes it does.

Plenty of company diectors and chairmen who have overseen failed companies somehow manage to move on. One of my previous companies was lucky enough to get Gerald Corbett as chairman immediately after he'd fucked up railtrack.

Contractors on massive public projects particularly in IT seem to get taken on again and again and again too.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2008 14:49:01 61,056 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Something on 'Surveilance Britain'.

Something along the lines of 'With unlawful taps being approved by the PM, ID cards, stop and search and the explosion of surveilance cameras does Labour still actually believe in innocent until proven guilty? Why, as a law abiding citizen, should I be subject to such scrutiny from people constantly proven to be less than trustworthy themselves?'

Or something...

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 14:52:24 23,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like Nick's, I'm changing my vote to his.

• gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 14:54:38 5,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh I've just remembered a gem, but you'd have to do a bit of checking to make sure of the facts.

"given the potential conflict of interests created by Gordon Brown's brother being head of marketing or something or other for EDF in the UK, can the Labour member of the panel assure us that following the sudden U-turn in policy regarding nuclear power that EDF will not be awarded any contracts to build nuclear power stations in the UK?"
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:04:24 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Something along the lines of 'With unlawful taps being approved by the PM, ID cards, stop and search and the explosion of surveilance cameras does Labour still actually believe in innocent until proven guilty? Why, as a law abiding citizen, should I be subject to such scrutiny from people constantly proven to be less than trustworthy themselves?'

Or something...

Mix it with a smidgeon about bugging people who visit so called dissidents in prison.

Yeah you're on to a winner there I reckon.
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 15:07:55 23,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Ooh I've just remembered a gem, but you'd have to do a bit of checking to make sure of the facts.

"given the potential conflict of interests created by Gordon Brown's brother being head of marketing or something or other for EDF in the UK, can the Labour member of the panel assure us that following the sudden U-turn in policy regarding nuclear power that EDF will not be awarded any contracts to build nuclear power stations in the UK?"

That is a gem, if it checks out.

• Ginger 6 Feb 2008 15:08:34 6,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Or something...

Mix it with a smidgeon about bugging people who visit so called dissidents in prison.

Yeah you're on to a winner there I reckon.
    Needs to be a bit snappier so it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to deliver for maximum impact.

I'd go for something like "With unlawful taps being approved by the PM, RIPA granting local government functions the right to bug people, ID cards, stop and search and the explosion of surveilance cameras does Labour still actually believe in innocent until proven guilty?"

Hmm, still not snappy enough :(

London open taekwondo champion

• gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 15:10:51 5,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:

That is a gem, if it checks out.

Linky
  • Ginger 6 Feb 2008 15:17:15 6,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Linky
    Remember kids. Wikipedia is not a reliable source, and neither is a clearly bias website with an agenda against the nuclear industry :)

Hmm, after reading the article, it may be that private eye IS a good source.

Maybe write to them and say "I'm thinking of asking this question at question time tonight, any updates on Andrew Brown?"

London open taekwondo champion

• MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 15:17:17 23,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Linky

You know, the older I get and the more stories like that I read, the more I think that the best thing for all of us would be to rip the whole lot of them out and elect some completely unsuspecting nobodies every four years - at least we'd have /some/ chance of them not being complete cunts.

• pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:18:14 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Linky

You know, the older I get and the more stories like that I read, the more I think that the best thing for all of us would be to rip the whole lot of them out and elect some completely unsuspecting nobodies every four years - at least we'd have /some/ chance of them not being complete cunts.

/votes on that!
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 15:19:36
    MetalDog wrote:
    Meh, the corruption comes more from the position than the person. In that case we'd just have unsuspecting cunts instead.

Absolute Monarchy, however, now there's a solid system...
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:22:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah let's just have a revolution and guillotine the aristos!
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 15:22:23 17,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Linky

yeah, a giant lottery machine containing the names of everyone aged 20 to 60 gets rolled once every four years and 200 names get picked out of it :D
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 15:23:18 23,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    yeah, a giant lottery machine containing the names of everyone aged 20 to 60 gets rolled once every four years and 200 names get picked out of it :D

It'd be like Jury duty, only more boring and better paid.

• pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 15:24:40 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ugh, i've seen Big Brother, I don't think this is a good idea.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 15:26:50
    I say they just drag in some tramps off the street and whack one over the head with the sceptre. He gets to be PM and everyone else has to race around Westminster to decide who makes the cabinet.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 15:27:33 17,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Ugh, i've seen Big Brother, I don't think this is a good idea.

but 400 people like that would never agree on anything so we'd be ok

maybe if it was only people who finished school and were registered to vote there'd be a few less tards :D
  • El_MUERkO 6 Feb 2008 15:28:09 17,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    I say they just drag in some tramps off the street and whack one over the head with the sceptre. He gets to be PM and everyone else has to race around Westminster to decide who makes the cabinet.

massively multiplayer musical chairs :D
  • Page

of 30 First / Last

Previous