Really very small niggles that are inordinately annoying in games

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Telepathic.Geometry 5 Feb 2008 18:50:13 11,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got one for Shadow of the Colossus. Kinda a two-parter this one. I hate the way the voice of the temple God dude is don in really bad Middle/Olde English, and I hate the fact that he says the same exact thing at the beginning of each and every colossus hunt.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• morriss 5 Feb 2008 18:53:29 70,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I get a DS3, will SotC's rumble work on my 60GB PS3?
  • Cloudane 5 Feb 2008 18:54:29 1,974 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The anus level in Halo 3.

If it wasn't for that and the rather average final level - an anti-climax for sure - Halo 3 would probably more worthy of the praise it received.
  • SharksInYourMouth 5 Feb 2008 18:55:24 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How everyone in Dragon Quest VIII has an English accent.I know it's their attempt at helping the feel of the game but it's just hideous and annoying, especially to those used to JRPGs with american accents/no dubbing at all.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 5 Feb 2008 18:56:58 11,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I should say that I actually quite like SotC, just for the record. Another small niggle that makes me steam is the bullshit "Soooopa Maryo Gahlahxy!!!" thing upon loading game of the same name. It makes me ashamed of the game.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• [menace] 5 Feb 2008 18:57:45 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Menu sounds for everytime you move to a new menu-item.. - if it's the same sound being played all the time it can be really annoying!
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2008 18:59:06 59,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A bad map has started to absolutely ruin games for me.

Ive just become so time poor that if im lost for even a couple of minutes im ready to break the joypad in half.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Arcadiian 5 Feb 2008 19:00:45 830 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lost for a couple of minutes? Are you playing with your eyes closed? o_O
  • Deleted user 5 February 2008 19:01:07
    The fact that the 'push-box' on Metroid Prime 3 is right at the top of the screen, making it a little bit annoying to aim up there.
  • SharksInYourMouth 5 Feb 2008 19:04:07 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How boring repeating random battles in the same area can get Dragon Quest VII (again) doesn't seem to bother me in other RPGs.I like Dragon Quest 8 just for the record by the way.

The poor world map in Final Fantasy 8 and when you mean to do a certain action but end up talking to someone who rambles on for ages in most games in general.

And invisible barriers blocking off areas you'll clearly reach later in the game, so cheap.
  • pjmaybe 5 Feb 2008 19:11:49 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any Japanese game where you get a lengthy bio, story and then hordes and hordes of character speech stuff before you get a whiff of gameplay.

AWII on the DS is a favourite for this, thank gawd it's skippable though.
  • SharksInYourMouth 5 Feb 2008 19:13:55 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The storyline in Super Mario Galaxy.
  • Razz 5 Feb 2008 19:13:55 61,202 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    War. I'm sick of war. :/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• _Price_ 5 Feb 2008 19:21:57 3,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wading through hordes of enemies who die if you give them a nasty look.

The bit in *insert the name of any JRPG ever* where you get thrown in prison by the above enemies.
  • speedofthepuma 5 Feb 2008 19:26:01 13,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    War. I'm sick of war. :/

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing.

edit: oh, and what _Price_ said.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• SharksInYourMouth 5 Feb 2008 19:29:00 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Peoples obsession with war games is damn peculiar if you ask me.They need their heads checked, unless they enjoy COD, etc for the gameplay beneath.
  • tiddles 5 Feb 2008 19:29:21 3,555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RPG-Lord wrote:
    I read the 'N' word in your title as something else. :D

I will get back to you when my mind can come up with a small niggle.

lmao

I'm going straight to hell... /o\
  • Sorbicol 5 Feb 2008 19:31:48 591 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At the moment = getting caught on scenery in CoD4. Very annoying when that small boulder prevents me running away from a martyrdom grenade :(
  • DUFFKING 5 Feb 2008 19:32:03 7,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cloudane wrote:
    The anus level in System Shock 2.

Fixed, etc.

Otherwise, BF2. Not being able to fit between a meter wide gap between trees. Fat bastards.
  • SharksInYourMouth 5 Feb 2008 19:32:22 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A difficult boss battle with an unskippable 5 minute cut scene before it, that you have to watch every time you repeat the boss (FFX, I'm looking at you...)
  • DUFFKING 5 Feb 2008 19:33:16 7,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    A difficult boss battle with an unskippable 5 minute cut scene before it, that you have to watch every time you repeat the boss (FFX, I'm looking at you...)

Checkpoints before unskippable cut scenes also.
  • mrharvest 5 Feb 2008 19:33:55 5,197 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In Monster Hunter if you fail a mission you still get the same money / guild points / farm points screens as you do when you succeed. Of course there's no points awarded since you've failed, but still the game insists on showing. I swear it's just to rub it in that you are in fact a loser-dog that got trampled on by a monster the size of a lorry.

In Half-Life 2 Episode 2 every other object in the world has physical properties, except for the seats in your car. And the gnome is coated with teflon.
  • elredeyegrande 5 Feb 2008 19:35:30 2,382 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:

Heh, thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread.
  • Kay 5 Feb 2008 19:43:17 17,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of the things mentioned here are actually quite big 'niggles'. :)

For me, Disgaea would have benefited from a better system for the micromanagement. It would have been nice to have multiple, customisable item boxes for example, which would have made sorting stuff out less of a chore.

K
  • Aretak 5 Feb 2008 19:44:32 10,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bad spacing of save points in RPGs gets my goat. I'm currently playing Lost Odyssey, and it's fine in that respect for the most part, but there's a period from the time you fight the second boss until about an hour afterwards where there's no chance to save (and there's a perfect place for a save point in the middle of that sequence of play too).
  • Gaol 5 Feb 2008 19:44:39 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The demon arm power in 'The Darkness' which insists on hitting dead bodies and light bulbs, despite the fact that some goon is shooting me in the face.
  • Aretak 5 Feb 2008 19:47:41 10,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wazzer wrote:
    And when you want to save and it asks you 24 times is it ok..

/selects save
    /do you want to save
    /yes
    /do you want to overwrite existing save
    /yes
    /are you sure
    /Yes Im bloody sure
    /Saving will overwrite previous data. Are you sure
    /Oh my fucking god, just save it will ya!
    /Saved..

That kinda stuff really pisses me off..
    I hate that as well, but then I come across the odd game which doesn't, and that leaves me constantly worrying about overwriting a save I wanted by accident. :-\
  • Deleted user 5 February 2008 19:58:28
    Metroid Prime 3 telling you that 'A nunchuk is required' every. Single. Time. You. Load. It. Even when you already have a nunchuk connected. That's just rubbish.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2008 19:59:30
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    The storyline in Super Mario Galaxy.

^^This one.

Horrible, horrible, Disney-inflected crap. I was really taken aback when I started playing - the melodrama, the affected cuteness was so far removed from the naturally fun SM64, and it felt like they'd taken all the terrible parts of Sunshine's wanky holiday storyline (which actually works out quite well/garners a few laughs in the end) and intensified them.

Anyway, it still proved to be the second best game released last year, although for the first hour or so I hated the hub-world, the 'ethereal'/weird princess, and even the music. It all felt very Hollywood. Bleurgh.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous