Going to Rome on the 19th

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Craven 5 Feb 2008 10:54:16 391 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For a few days that is. Staying near Termini station (not sleeping rough btw), just wondering apart from the obvious sites to see (Colloseum, Vatican, etc.) anything else worth seeing or within walking distance?

Any other tips?

Any bits of Italian i need to know? Not just swear words.

Is there any footie grounds near by? Wondering where Roma and Lazio's are.

Just basic bits and bobs i need to know. Cheers.
  • Load_2.0 5 Feb 2008 10:59:52 19,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do NOT do as the Romans do. look how it turned out for them. 476 was not a good year.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Feb 2008 11:05:43 26,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Roma and Lazio both play at the Stadio Olympico which is a short bus ride out of the centre of the city. Pretty cheap to see a game there too. We saw Lazio when we were there and tickets were around £10 for seats (well, concrete slabs...) behind the goal.
  • DJCopa 5 Feb 2008 12:49:13 1,058 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm off out to Rome on the 18th with GF - Really looking forward to it, but also after some tips.
    One thing I have been told is to keep everything deep in your pockets - Although this is good advice wherever you go in the world.
  • afghan_jones 5 Feb 2008 12:52:59 3,041 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest its all good.

I love that city.

Vatican, Colloseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, ah good old Roma.

Must go back.
  • Phreedh 5 Feb 2008 12:57:55 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Greet shop keepers etc with "Sera" or "Buena Sera" in the late afternoon and evenings and you'll get good service.

Say "Hi!" and you'll get shit service...

There's a botanical garden in Trastevere which is really nice and not THAT far from Termini, but I doubt it's even open at this time of year.

Best beef I ever had was in Rome, at a place not THAT far from Termini... it's on Via di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme but don't remember it's name. If you're walking from Termini (or the nearest metro station Vittorio Emanuele) towards the Piazza di Santa Croce (and the Domus Sessoriana), it's on your right hand side, some time after crossing Via Statilia. The style is modern-ish, has large glass windows so you'll easily spot it. Unfortunately I don't remember the name or exact location. Only the street and style. =(

What else to do... Check out the Forum Romanum... it's "Amazing! :o" as Razz would put it. Was at a nice museum close to the Vatican, an old keep of some sort. It's next to the Tiber. If you walk via del conciliazone from the piazza san pietro, you'll see it on your left hand side when you reach the Tiber. Had some beautiful frescos and stuff and a great view over most of Rome.

Don't really bother with Piazza Navone, btw... it's a rip-off... If anyone in your party says "let's go there" just tell them I said "NO!"... Don't bother with Circo Massimo either btw, it's just a big-ass field nowadays.

Have fun and use the metro alot to save your feet!
  • ccfb 5 Feb 2008 16:18:19 337 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Colloseum is nowhere near as cool as everyone imagines - looks better from the outside, but if you're desperate to go in make sure you buy a ticket from the Palantine Hill ticket shop (this ticket covers both the Palantine Hill - which is essential - and the Colloseum together), then wander back down the hill and waltz past the putzes queueing up for hours on end, pop your ticket in the turnstile and you're in.

Pantheon is another must. Vatican is an amazing place but Sistine chapel is a ZOO and I pledged never to go there again ever, unless I could tear gas everyone in there and have the place to myself. I was disgusted by it. Make sure you climb the dome of the Basilica - the views are the best in Rome (and have to be in fact; building regs prevent ANY building in Rome being taller than the Dome).

Walk where you can, but the Metro is easy and convenient especially if you're staying at Terminii - we stayed near here too and found that hopping onto the metro and paying one euro go anywhere on the line was money well spent.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2008 16:30:17
    I went there last summer for a few days, and here's my tips:

The Vatican is great - but go for a tour as ccfb wasn't exaggerating - it's FULL of people. Literally. You'll spend at least 45 min queuing if you're lucky but the result is seeing some very interesting stuff. Going for the tour helps in two ways - 1) It's bloody interesting if you're into that stuff and 2) you don't just try to get out of there as soon as possible, which would be a waste.

From the sounds of it ccfb went with the same guide company that I did and I can recommend them too (not that I remember their name). If you wander around the Colosseum then you'll get approached by someone and again it's worth it I'd say.

Rather than use the Metro we actually went for one of those hop-on-hop-off tour buses (there's plenty at Terminii). Seeing as though we were just there for a few days it was pretty good for cramming in all the sight-seeing before deciding what to focus on.

I didn't get to see it myself, but my old boss said that Ostia (the ancient port) was worth the trip.
  • pistol 5 Feb 2008 16:48:40 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    afghan_jones wrote:
    To be honest its all good.

I love that city.

Vatican, Colloseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, ah good old Roma.

Must go back.

Mee too.

Went last year for a week (first time) and had a ball. Glorious place.

What's the weird bar called again with the glass toilet? Run by some old guy that looks like a hells angel. Picture's of him all over the walls.

Quick google says it's called Jonathon's Angels..

• Phreedh 6 Feb 2008 06:39:11 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ccfb wrote:Pantheon is another must.
    Please elaborate... We just passed by the Pantheon, didn't bother investigating it further as it was sooo jammed with people and we were a bit fed up with touristy crowds. Did we miss something awesomeful inside?

Same with Fontana di Trevi, we did go there but it was a complete waste of time. 9 billion people (roughly) trying to take pictures. It ruins the moment a bit. =)
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Feb 2008 07:38:16 35,710 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buy ice cream here. Best I ever tried.
  • ccfb 6 Feb 2008 08:57:28 337 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phreedh wrote:
    ccfb wrote:Pantheon is another must.
    Please elaborate... We just passed by the Pantheon, didn't bother investigating it further as it was sooo jammed with people and we were a bit fed up with touristy crowds. Did we miss something awesomeful inside?

Same with Fontana di Trevi, we did go there but it was a complete waste of time. 9 billion people (roughly) trying to take pictures. It ruins the moment a bit. =)
    From a historical point of view it's worth seeing the inside to get a view of how skilled the builders were, and to see for yourself just how massive it is on the inside. If you're less "romantic" than me then perhaps a big domed room with a hole in the roof isn't the most interesting thing, but the idea that this was the oldest domed roofed building surviving in the world was enough to draw me in.

Plus it's free :p

If you're there now however just look at a map, stick a pin in it and walk.

I reitereate though : Palatine Hill. Seemed to be completely overlooked by most people when we were there. It's right next to the Forum, cheap to get in, and you get to wander around ruined palaces and posh folks' homes. Go in about an hour before sunset and explore.

Avoid: Trevi (another vile throng), Spanish Steps (beggers, grifters, McDonalds), Circus Max (dog walkers, shit-stained field).
  • redlander 6 Feb 2008 09:30:54 1,039 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know its probably not what you are going for but would really recommend Here (yea yea I know) but its in a really piazza that has the best Pizzeria next to it (takeout only) they only do two kinds Garlic, with or with out tomato.

Pistol's right Jonathon's Angels is a strange bar but worth a visit.

My advice would be just walk… it's an amazing place and hard to get lost.
  • Load_2.0 27 Aug 2008 17:26:35 19,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ahoy!

I am off to Rome on Friday. Like the filthy Antipodean that I am I will probably be knocking about in shorts and jandals (google it)

And like a chump I will be lining up for hours to Ohhh and Ahhh at the Vatican and other sites. The rest of the time I shall be living sinking vino on the rooftop bar before trying my best Italian chat up lines on the local "burds".

Quick question though, as I bash about looking like a homeless convict, is there anywhere (Outside of clubs/bars) I should make an effort to smarten up. Or will I simply blend in with the rest of the unfortunately clad tourist masses.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 20:29:00
    I have heard "I Love Satan" T-shirts are required clothing for a visit to the Vatican, this may be a lie.
  • FairgroundTown 27 Aug 2008 20:32:46 2,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.romewalks.com/

We did 3 walks in four days, because they were such an interesting way of seeing the things you would normally walk right past.
  • Trowel 27 Aug 2008 21:00:13 17,903 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think shorts are allowed in the Vatican. Budget a day there if possible - tonnes to see, staggering place regardless of religious view. We spent a full day there (which didn't allow us enough time to visit the museum, nor the Sistine Chapel), then took the metro to the Colusseum for last entries, virtually no queueing, and it's far better for photography thanks to the eternal winning combination of small crowds/sunset. As said above, the Colusseum is impressive as a spectacle but not as a tourist attraction - you can easily get around in an hour, smaller than expected.

Edit: disclaimer - I did fly to Rome directly from a trip to Machu Picchu, which may explain my apathy toward the Colusseum :)
  • kentmonkey 17 Apr 2013 22:00:21 20,760 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BUMP!

So, looking to go to Rome and potentially staying here.

For those that have been, would this be an okay location? Or would anyone else have any other recommended hotels?

I found a really lovely hotel outside of the city in the country (looked like an old castle) that was just as cheap, but you were looking at £110 return cost just for the transfers from the airport due to the location, and I can't stretch to that as well.

Quite like the idea of the tram, not sure I want to do the metro due to pickpockets and my wife being really nervous about that (we've heard the majority of that happens on the metro, although it can happen anywhere) and this looks like it's located close to the tram network.
  • TheSaint 17 Apr 2013 23:04:22 14,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit of a way out. If you find a hotel fairly near the Termini station then you could walk to everything and only need to use the subway if you fancy visiting the Vatican.
  • kentmonkey 17 Apr 2013 23:55:21 20,760 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was my concern. All of the hotels near Termini that I've seen are either nice but really, really expensive or absolute shit holes and affordable.

To be honest, the high cab prices (and therefore airport transfers) and dodgy cabbie antics, coupled with a wife that would be nervous of using the metro, is making me second guess whether this is a realistic option for a break.
  • Tonka 18 Apr 2013 06:34:46 20,769 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My memory of Rome is that it was tiny and that everything for tourists was nicely aligned along an almost straight line.

Me and my wife and my father in law walked from the Vatican all the way to the Colosseum one day. That was the entire day gone though but it'll give you a fair idea of the size.

That said, the hotel you linked to is not close to this "axis of tourism" (going from the vatican to the Colosseum basically)

What is your budget? Have you looked at alternatives to Hotels such as Hostels or B&Bs or maybe an apartment?

We booked the cheapest (we were poor back then) B&B we could find on on here and even though it had got some really bad reviews it turned out to be perfectly fine. Also the darling of the startup world

The way I figure (after having stayed at some more upscale places) is that in a big city the hotel is a place where you sleep, shit and shower.

Better save some money on it and spend them in restaurants. The amount of deliciousness you can get in a local café for the money a hotel charges for breakfast is staggering.

That said. Now that I have a better income we don't stay in the cheapest places we can find (that night in a shared accommodation that held 100 people in Munich was a tipping point) . But by renting apartments or living in B&B's or hostels you can find a very good balance between the two.

ALSO

Make sure you visit either one of Romes most famous ice cream parlors.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• jellyBelly 18 Apr 2013 08:07:51 427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lovely city, was there last October. You can walk pretty much everywhere or hop on the tube (which only has 2 lines). I saw the Vatican, plazza de Spagna, Colloseum,old Town in 2-3 days of walking. You can pretty much survive on Pizza/ice cream/espresso as well.

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• elstoof 18 Apr 2013 08:27:16 7,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you just want a room in a sort of converted townhouse B&B, I stayed at the hotel San Pietrino in Prati, right next to the Vatican a few years back. Basic, but clean and well appointed and cheap. Good location.
  • altitude2k 19 Apr 2013 20:52:35 4,566 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't be pestered to buy a rose for the missus on the Spanish Steps. I became very blunt when the guy gave my wife a rose (which didn't bother me so much) but then expected me to cough up! I'm not exactly unromantic...I took my wife to Rome, for Pete's sake! But I still felt the need to give it back to him and say a forceful, "No...THANK YOU". My wife wholeheartedly agreed, I might add.

Lovely little ice cream shop next to the Trevi fountain, on a lighter note. Looks like a tourist trap, but it was excellent.
  • kentmonkey 19 Apr 2013 21:25:41 20,760 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof

I checked San Pietrino and it does indeed look quite nice. I think that has potential.

I think I need to try and save more, so I can do it right. At the moment we'd be struggling to cope with all the costs that add up here and there.
  • Tonka 20 Apr 2013 19:55:27 20,769 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We bought take away pizza and ate it sitting on the Spanish Stair. Cost about a fifth of what it would cost in a restaurant and we had a better view.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 20 April 2013 20:30:27
    Amazing city, been a couple times. You really can't go wrong with just wandering about. They have incredibly pieces of art and architecture just dotted about in street corners forgotten about. These things would have their own fucking national holiday if they were in the UK. Try and stay within walking distance of the castle as we found it to be a great anchor point to find our way home if it was late.

The water fountains are fine to drink from, and they are everywhere so don't be worried about it. Be vary of looky looky men, fucking annoying. Especially if you are with your missus.

If you want to get out of the busy centre have a wander up Gianicolo Hill. Outside the seven main hills but by far the best imo. Stunning 360 views of the city and nice and quite. It's where I popped the question to the wife.
  • Khanivor 20 Apr 2013 21:03:17 40,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not been in too long. The family we used to visit had an older relative who had an apartment that looked out onto the Spanish Steps. I wonder how much that fucker was worth. Hell of a view.

I love the sounds the birds make in Italy. Their tweeting just sounds so much more vibrant.
  • elstoof 20 Apr 2013 21:53:22 7,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

The water fountains are fine to drink from, and they are everywhere so don't be worried about it..
    Did you stick your head in the Fontana di Trevi and have a good glug while you were there mowgli?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous