Bad news day for Hillary Clinton

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • terminalterror 1 Feb 2008 13:24:44 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "...It may actually be a good thing for Hillary Clinton that all of this muck came out on the same day. There's only so much oxygen for news stories to breathe. At least one of these is going to wither and die without much attention..."

o_O

I wonder how much of that will end up being reported and heard by voters.

I hope Obama gets the Democratic nomination. Hillary just sounds like a liberal Bush.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2008 13:30:30 54,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't see these stories getting much attention from the US public.
  • lost_soul 1 Feb 2008 13:37:16 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What does Obama actually stand for, besides change?

I like the guy, but I haven't seen much about his policies. Actually, this is true for all the candidates, although there was a clip on last night that featured McCain talking about combating climate change. Shame he's a Republican.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Feb 2008 14:00:28 25,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm hoping John McCain becomes president. He actually talks the most sense I've heard from a politician in ages.

/prepares for numerous links showing that John McCain is in fact an insane and thoroughly unhinged individual.
  • lost_soul 1 Feb 2008 14:09:57 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think McCain is accused of racism for using the term "gook". Though to be fair, he is supposed to have spent time in a Vietnamese POW camp.
  • afray 1 Feb 2008 14:14:57 2,251 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    XKCD supports Obama, for well-thought-out and backed-up reasons.

Just thought I'd throw it in the mix.
  • terminalterror 1 Feb 2008 14:22:16 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lost_soul wrote:
    I think McCain is accused of racism for using the term "gook". Though to be fair, he is supposed to have spent time in a Vietnamese POW camp.

He says he only uses the term in relation to the "gooks" who imprisoned and tortured him for 5 years in a Vietnamese POW camp. He also says he'll hate them (his captors) till the end of time.

I like McCain. Straight talking, sensible and whilst he is old and pro war, and there for less popular with internet people than Obama, he is far more genuinely bi-partisan.

He's frequently pissed off the fundamentalist Christian right, which earns him lots of points in my book, particularly given that he is a Republican, and they are currently the part of the fundies.

My desire for Obama to win the Democrat nomination is more that I really don't want Hillary to get in, particularly given all the dodgy things she's been doing at the moment in an attempt to beat Obama.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2008 14:23:15 54,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't McCain just a little old to be doing this job?
  • pjmaybe 1 Feb 2008 14:23:45 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder too.

• terminalterror 1 Feb 2008 14:28:51 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Isn't McCain just a little old to be doing this job?

Why?

He has far more experience than any of the other candidates, and is still perfectly capable.

Not only that but he has said that he probably won't be running for a second term.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2008 14:31:11 54,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Not only that but he has said that he probably won't be running for a second term.
    Until he gets power hungry.

The age thing concerns me simply because I don't want some old fart making decisions that affect 90% of the world based on his outdated world views. =)
  • pjmaybe 1 Feb 2008 14:34:20 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Isn't this the guy who bases his policy on the Ten Commandments / Bible Doctrine?

• StarchildHypocrethes 1 Feb 2008 14:36:05 25,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just think that even though it seems a contradiction because of his age, he'll actually be a breath of fresh air in politics. For too long now politics have been filled with clone after clone of catchphrase singing, dull as dishwater politicians, who are all so predictable with what they say, do and support.

For a Republican he has a very liberal attitude to most things, yet also has a very strong Republican-esque resolve when it comes to national security etc, which as unpopular as it is with a lot of people is undeniably becoming a very important issue. He's very well spoken, has far more of a grasp on world issues than the current US government (not difficult admittedly) and he's always been a good laugh when on the Daily Show :)

Plus of course he's hard as nails, which in comparison to any other world leader around these days makes him teh shitz0rs!
  • President_Weasel 1 Feb 2008 14:37:31 9,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hillary jumped gleefully onto the "games are bad, mmmkay" bandwagon, not to mention the "war on iraq, great idea" bandwagon.

Basically if you've got a bandwagon, she'll jump on it. She wouldn't know an actual principle or sincerely held viewpoint if it bit her on the arse.

I despise her more than evangiloonies like Huckabee because he at least believes the tripe he spouts.
  • terminalterror 1 Feb 2008 14:41:20 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Isn't this the guy who bases his policy on the Ten Commandments / Bible Doctrine?

That would be Mike Huckabee.

There won't be an athiest Presidential candidate for a LONG time in the US, revealing a lack of belief in God would be the instant death to their chances.

McCain isn't a fundy, which is as good as you are going to get over there.
  • w00t 1 Feb 2008 15:10:49 11,120 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FYI:

Clinton - United Methodist
    Obama - United Church of Christ
    Edwards - Methodist
    Kucinich - Catholic

McCain - Episcopal
    Huckabee - Baptist
    Romney - Mormon
    Giuliani - Catholic

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Khanivor 1 Feb 2008 15:17:53 40,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be voting for McCain in November if, as seems most likely, he wins the Republican nomination. I've voted Democrat since I was able to cast my ballot but McCain is a maverick in the world of politics and I'm not some kind of dumb shit who votes along party lines.

I may disagree with a lot of things he believes in but he believes in them and is not saying things just because it might win him votes.

The fact he was also one of the prime movers behind campaign finance reform is a boon and while he may be hawkish he is the least likely person to allow unethical methods to continue.

As for the OP, I can't see anyone getting all that bothered by any of those stories, especially as half are journalist opinion pieces and the rest are fairly trivial matters.
  • mouse Moderator 1 Feb 2008 15:17:57 10,312 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rooney wrote:
    lost_soul wrote:
    What does Obama actually stand for?

Ohhh

Black

And

Mildly

Asthmatic

glol
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2008 15:26:03 40,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    lost_soul wrote:

He still can't lift either arm high enough to comb his hair because of the five yars he supposedly spent in this POW camp. Also, being the son of an admiral he was offered freedom if he spoke against his fellow prisoners. He didn't.

Now, this might not make him a wonderful leader but it gives him more character and resolve than just about all the other politicians in the US put together. OK, maybe not such a hard thing to do, but still.

And Psycho, while McCain may be old Bush's notable youth didn't do the world any favours now, did it? :(
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2008 15:27:28 54,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    And Psycho, while McCain may be old Bush's notable youth didn't do the world any favours now, did it? :(
    Indeed, though on the bright side I find it hard to believe anyone could be worse than he was.
  • RMXtreme 1 Feb 2008 15:52:21 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I may disagree with a lot of things he believes in but he believes in them and is not saying things just because it might win him votes.

So you think he believed that Romney was for a timetable concerning the withdrawal from Iraq?

Or did he perpaps say that to attract voters?
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2008 16:06:27 40,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I'm not for a minute going to think McCain has found a magic way of rising completely above the need to appeal to voters or to engage in political machinations. He's bound to play the role, especially in the most contested and important election in the world.

However, for the most part I believe his convictions are true, which is the polar opposite of that div Romney, who is weaselly like an American Blair. Romney also once stated that Amurica has to keep an eye on all Muslims, as the Sunnis, Shias et all are all ganged up together in a global conspiracy to bring this great, god-fearing nation down!
  • El_MUERkO 1 Feb 2008 16:14:47 17,033 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    if it was a choice between clinton and mccain i'd chose mccain, if it was a choice between obama and mccain i'd chose obama
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2008 16:24:08 40,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd like to see a McCain/Obama ticket. That would be great. See if Barack really means what he says when he talks about change.

The republican nomination seems fairly sown up and will be for sure by the end of Tuesday. With the Dems being so close between Clinton and Obama and both their campaign teams seemingly focused on applying bullets to feet I think it's highly likely that McCain could win the race in November, as he has very high appeal to independent voters and could conceivably pull a number of otherwise Democrat voters, (like myself) to his side. All he would need to do once wining the nomination is push for health care reform and he would have it, imo.
  • niteninja 1 Feb 2008 16:57:27 528 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mcain,Obama and Clinton=more war, more lies, more corruption and illegal dealings with corporate companys.
    More public propoganda campaigns about wmds and islamic phantom terrorists more MKULTRA.
    Any one remember the guy they killed twice in two different countrys?
  • Khanivor 1 Feb 2008 17:07:24 40,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/

Weekend at home is it?

Is Islamic Phantom Terrorists the new Arab console?
  • Micro_Explosion 1 Feb 2008 17:09:28 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    niteninja wrote:

No.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Feb 2008 17:13:42 25,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    niteninja wrote:
    Mcain,Obama and Clinton=more war, more lies, more corruption and illegal dealings with corporate companys.
    More public propoganda campaigns about wmds and islamic phantom terrorists more MKULTRA.
    Yay!

Now this thread is complete!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous