Super Mario Galaxy 2 Page 45

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 30 Dec 2010 20:44:02 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I started this today, and I'm 10 stars in. Absolutely loving it, it's pure magic.

Do new stars open up in galaxies later? I seem to have missed a few Comet Medals in some of the opening galaxies, and I'm not sure how I've missed anything.
  • ecu 30 Dec 2010 20:45:00 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can't miss anything.
  • Tom_Servo 30 Dec 2010 20:48:29 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is that a yes or no?

For example, I've finished the two available Stars in the first galaxy, but have missed the Comet Medal. No idea how I missed anything, and I can't really be bothered going through the levels again if the Comet Medal isn't actually available yet.
  • ecu 30 Dec 2010 20:54:44 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a yes. Those stars will open up later.
  • MrSemprini 30 Dec 2010 22:03:08 9,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Comet medal is always in the first star in a galaxy. It's available from the start so you must have missed it.
  • Tom_Servo 31 Dec 2010 20:21:39 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quite right, I'd missed a couple.

A swimming galaxy :(
  • ecu 31 Dec 2010 20:48:21 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't certain stars unlock as you get further on? I seem to remember a comet star in the first area not unlocking until I was near the end. Or was that the first game?
  • Kay 31 Dec 2010 20:59:46 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, just like the first game the prankster comets don't unlock until later on in the game, even after you collect the comet medals. You can always go back to collect any medals you've missed, but unless you're going for all 120 stars it's not worth bothering with.
  • Tom_Servo 31 Dec 2010 21:03:09 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I haven't had a single comet so far despite collecting all the comet medals, and I'm near the end of World 2.

Yeah, some stars unlock as you progress. The one that's unlocked so far for me is the chimp's stomp challenge in the cloud galaxy.
  • Kay 31 Dec 2010 21:06:53 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The prankster comets won't start appearing just yet, and iirc that chimp challenge was just a secret star in that galaxy.
  • ecu 31 Dec 2010 21:13:36 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes it's worth playing. I'd say the first is better, but that might just be because it was new and innovative. Haven't been back to it since I finished 2.
  • Kay 31 Dec 2010 21:15:51 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, definitely worth playing - 2 is the better game (imo), but that doesn't make the original redundant as it still has plenty of great ideas of its own.
  • ecu 31 Dec 2010 21:32:07 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is the second better? I'm actually genuinely curious.
  • spindle9988 3 Jan 2011 18:31:18 3,676 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarMagic wrote:
    Completed with 79 stars, best way to start the gaming year. But I've just there are 242 starsaltogether? WTF?

Im pretty sure its 120
  • roz123 3 Jan 2011 18:34:17 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No it's 242 once you do the 120 green stars are unlocked which are hidden around each level
  • Tom_Servo 3 Jan 2011 18:40:31 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GET IT UP YAE FLIPSIDE GALAXY PRANKSTER COMET
  • Kay 8 Jan 2011 23:39:01 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Why is the second better? I'm actually genuinely curious.

Just saw this. Where do I start? :)

It's more refined and streamlined, for one thing - no elaborate intro or unneccesary cut-scenes, just a quick recap of the story (Bowser takes princess yet again, blah blah) and within five minutes you're in the first proper level - just like it should be in a Mario game. The fact that they've introduced a map screen to make selecting levels much quicker and easier, but still kept a mini-hub world for players to jump around in (as opposed to the massive boring one in the first game).

Power-ups are improved over the first game. The addition of Yoshi, who is fantastic and comes with his own set of power-ups. More 2D sections, and everything's mixed up much better - the amount of variety in the game is amazing, much more so than in SMG1. More challenging, too, albeit only slightly so - but it makes a difference.

Nods and homages to every single Mario platformer (even Sunshine!). Throwback Galaxy. :D

Much better post-120 game reward than the first game - not perfect, mind, but still a great addition.

Little things like the Comet Medals, adding another layer to the game's levels. Prankster comets were handled much better, too, and came with some unique challenges this time.

I can understand people preferring the first game, because it obviously had more of an impact, and this is just a sequel. But they pretty much addressed all of the criticisms I had with the first game, tightened the whole thing up, added more challenge and variety and nostalgia value. I also thought the soundtrack was just as good. The first game is still amazing of course, but in the sequel everything just clicked with me right from the very first level... it's probably my favourite Mario ever, in fact.
  • ecu 8 Jan 2011 23:52:04 77,313 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks. I'm not saying either way, just that I remember the first being better because it was new and original, so I couldn't give an objective opinion on which is really better. I don't really think of them of separate games, it's weird. I was just a bit disappointed with the 242nd star in 2, because it's so far and away harder than anything in the rest of the game.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2011 10:31:38
    The second game has a greater variety of gameplay elements, but I think the original is far more atmospheric, with more memorable galaxies and a much better soundtrack.
  • robthehermit 12 Jan 2011 16:32:23 4,320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have one star left to get. Bugger me it is proper hard. Gave up months ago. Watched various videos for tips, just don't seem to be able to replicate it in real life. Haven't played wii since. Got a new game today though, so will fire it up later.

Might try a few more times and then it's off to play ExciteBots.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Kay 12 Jan 2011 16:56:01 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which one is it?

Cid wrote:
    The second game has a greater variety of gameplay elements, but I think the original is far more atmospheric, with more memorable galaxies and a much better soundtrack.

Again, it's all down to preference - I certainly didn't think the second was weaker in terms of atmosphere or galaxies.
  • disusedgenius 12 Jan 2011 17:05:59 5,614 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still miss having a proper hub world, I have to say though. :(

/still ranks Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer ever
  • robthehermit 12 Jan 2011 17:26:57 4,320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Which one is it?

Star 242 Grandmaster Galaxy - Perfect Run

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Kay 12 Jan 2011 20:22:21 17,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, that one. :)

Just needs a bit of practice to work out the best way through each level really, afterwards it's a test of endurance more than anything else. First three sections are really easy, fourth can be mostly skipped if you keep the cloud power-up, only the last one is any real trouble - remember though, if you crouch the boomerangs won't hit you. :)

disusedgenius wrote:
    I still miss having a proper hub world, I have to say though. :(

/still ranks Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer ever

To be fair, Mario 64's hub was genius, it's just that SMG's was so weak it would have been better if they hadn't bothered.
  • MrSemprini 17 Jan 2011 11:15:40 9,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Along with the plethora of user created NSMB levels, looks like Galaxy is getting in on the act.
  • MoGamer2006 17 Jan 2011 17:49:02 977 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rob the Hermit wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Which one is it?

Star 242 Grandmaster Galaxy - Perfect Run

Getting Star 242 was one of my few genuine magical gaming moments of the last few years.

It took me ages to get skilled enough to reach the last stage repeatedly, yet still those boomerang b'stard kept me from my prize... then, on one go, I got near the end and, thinking I was about to die anyway, made a mad leap for the final platform...

Amazingly, I made it... crouching low and sweating like a rapist for fear a random hammer or 'rang would get me, I waddled about and spin kicked the boomerangers into oblivion. One down, two down, three... and at last, with a yell of "Yes, I f*cking did it!", the star was mine!

Bloody brilliant.
  • Page

of 46 First / Last