Super Mario Galaxy 2 Page 5

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:44:06
    Luigi mode was just a neat little extra. It's not like you missed out on a new set of galaxies or anything.
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 15:45:06 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I must be fucking rubbish because there are some stars (shadow mario races especially) that I know I will never be able to get.

/points and laughs at Mario noob
  • Der_tolle_Emil 3 Jun 2009 15:46:13 7,299 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed, if Luigi added A LOT then I'd agree; 100% completion shouldn't be necessary.

As for the difficulty: I found it harder than the earlier Mario titles - in a good way. It was never frustrating but at the end offered some real challenge. I can only remember one or maybe two stars in Super Mario 64 that required a few attempts until I got them.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 3 Jun 2009 15:52:38 7,008 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't care if it's easy or hard, as long as it's fun. And having justed watched the trailer on EGTV it looks bags of fun. YOSHI FTW!
  • Tonka 3 Jun 2009 15:53:39 20,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    I must be fucking rubbish because there are some stars (shadow mario races especially) that I know I will never be able to get.

;_;

/buys Power Glove
    /owns

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• neonemesis 3 Jun 2009 15:53:39 1,640 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I did get all the stars as both Mario and Luigi but I still have nightmares about that purple coins challenge in the Toytime Galaxy...
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 15:54:47 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

;_;

/buys Power Glove
    /owns

/dons Virtual Boy
    /instawins
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 15:55:35 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neonemesis wrote:
    Well I did get all the stars as both Mario and Luigi but I still have nightmares about that purple coins challenge in the Toytime Galaxy...

I can still see the teeth marks in my Wii remote from when I was trying to complete that one.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:56:27
    ...and yet after you did it once it seemed like a piece of piss and you wonder how you were ever so shit. :/
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Jun 2009 15:59:25 4,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    Indeed, if Luigi added A LOT then I'd agree; 100% completion shouldn't be necessary.

As for the difficulty: I found it harder than the earlier Mario titles - in a good way. It was never frustrating but at the end offered some real challenge. I can only remember one or maybe two stars in Super Mario 64 that required a few attempts until I got them.

Escaping from the green demon is close to impossible!
  • neonemesis 3 Jun 2009 16:10:16 1,640 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    ...and yet after you did it once it seemed like a piece of piss and you wonder how you were ever so shit. :/

True! Had me cursing non-stop as Mario but for some reason, I did it as Luigi within 2-3 attempts.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:12:59
    Toy Time Galaxy had the best purple coins challenge.
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 16:20:32 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Battlerock Galaxy and Gusty Garden had the best music. Sapce Junk Galaxy had the best atmosphere.
  • neonemesis 3 Jun 2009 16:24:08 1,640 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with Space Junk Galaxy. I also really liked the one with the underwater caves (Deep Dark?) and Sea Slide Galaxy. That big skeleton whale thing was a cool boss too.
  • Kay 3 Jun 2009 16:31:39 17,807 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    IGN: You have a bit more insight on the development of Galaxy 2. What's the direction for the game? Do they really want to blow it out or will it be more of the same?

Reggie: What Mr. Miyamoto has shared is that if the first Galaxy was maybe more inviting in terms of all the audiences, what Galaxy 2 is going to be is maybe a little more Nintendo fan / harder gamer focused. A little tougher. The use of Yoshi makes it a little more challenging. We showed some of the snippets of some of the activities -- it's a bit more challenging. It's going to be, if you will, for more of that passionate Mario fan who grew up getting challenged with Super Mario World. It's going to be much more in that area.

I didn't really care about Galaxy's difficulty, to be honest. Although there were a couple of ridiculously easy stars in there.

A couple? I would say a good quarter of the game was ridiculously easy.

Now, people will argue that the difficulty level was generally the same as Mario 64, but here's the thing: SMG was a lot more linear than the other 3D Marios. With Mario 64 + Sunshine, the joy was often in the exploring and making your own path through the levels. However, with SMG in a lot of the levels you had to follow a set path - so when said path does not contain much of a challenge, it can feel like you're going through the motions. Not to mention the gravity tricks, which made it impossible to fall off many of the planetoids. Certainly for the first half of the game this was the case, and one of the main reasons I initially didn't get on with it.

Since Reggie tends to talk a lot of crap, we shouldn't take too much stock from this statement. But if true, then this would make me very happy indeed. The game doesn't have to be ridiculously hard, but completing each level should feel like an achievement, imo. This is the case with all of the 2D Marios, even with the easiest levels (maybe because it's much easier to die).
  • Kay 3 Jun 2009 16:37:18 17,807 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, to complete my wishlist:

- much better hub please (SMW style world map, perhaps? With secrets? Oh yes)
    - less repetition of levels (not a big fan of 'defeat x boss without dying to get another star'-type arbitrary challenging levels)
    - generally higher difficulty (as mentioned above)
    - no reusing of worlds/settings from SMG (don't mind revisiting a couple for new challenges)
    - a few big planets. I mean really big, possibly SM64-style big.
    - much better reward for completion with 120 stars. Maybe a true hard mode?

All this will ensure an 11/10 game in my eyes.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:39:35
    /nods along

Also: improved camera would be spanky.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:43:59
    I didn't have any problems with the camera. Generally it knew exactly where it needed to be.

Also, I liked Galaxy's hub.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:48:00
    I HATE YOU AND ALL YOU BELIEVE IN.
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 16:48:13 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Cid

Same here - the camera was excellent considering all the mental gravity stuff. I wasn't convinced about the hub at first, but I liked the way it gradually comes alive as you open new parts. You've gotta love the Lumas :)
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:49:15
    Oh yeah, the camera generally was fine for the most part. Could still be better though...
  • Kay 3 Jun 2009 16:50:30 17,807 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, but the hub was dull. Looked pretty, nice music, but dull design.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 16:52:02
    Yeah, the hub was great in style but when you compare it to either M64 or Sunshine it's really lacking in terms of scope.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 3 Jun 2009 16:58:19 7,299 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The hub became fun as soon as you could fly. Before that it was nice to look at but that's about it.

Edit: Compared to earlier hubs. It was nowhere near being bad.
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 16:59:22 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But ... but ... the Lumas.

Yeah, you've got a point - it certainly wasn't as interesting as SM64 and SMS.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 17:01:20
    I thought it felt very homely, and it was nice that you never needed to walk very far to reach the next observatory.

And yes, Lumas! I was a little worried at first that I couldn't see Mario's little Luma helper in the trailer, but you can see it's still there when he uses the spin attack. :D
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 17:04:25
    YES, YES THE SODDING LUMAS WERE WUVLY AND I WANT ONE.

Happy?
  • JuanKerr 3 Jun 2009 17:05:21 36,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, yes I am.

/fires star bits at disussedgenius's genitals
  • Sharks 3 Jun 2009 17:06:32 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm laughing right now at Ninty officially announcing that the game will have 90% new levels. Oh boy, didn't see new levels coming, shocker!
  • Page

of 46 First / Last