Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Page

of 46 First / Last

Previous
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 19:48:48 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently Miyamoto wants to do it. Apparently an interview with Shiggy in Famitsu magazine was translated on Neogaf or something. I read it here on GoNintendo. I'm sure nobody's surprised that a sequel is gonna be done (although I don't think he said straight out that they're doing it).

I'd say a sequel was a shoe in anyway. The game is perfectly poised for a snappy sequel. Just use the same models and engine, and throw together some new and interesting galaxies. Essentially just a level design challenge.

He also mentions that he's thinking about the next Zelda game.
    /gives certain forumites the finger

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• NewYork 30 Jan 2008 19:55:25 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh STFU, ecc-

Oh, TG! Interesting news! Should be interesting.
  • ecureuil 30 Jan 2008 19:55:30 76,659 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More ice Mario plz.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2008 19:55:39
    Never gonna happen. The fanboy in me hopes they'd never just 'churn out a sequel', instead looking to innovate and surprise with the next Mario as much as Galaxy did, the cynic reckons they'll probably divert all their resources towards games like Wii Fit and the like that are raking in so much cash for them right now.
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2008 19:55:57 23,767 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This the new Zelda that will "change everything" or whatever? Here's hoping anyway.

And new SMG is great, if not unexpected, news. That'll be another 3 years then :)

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• BanjoMan 30 Jan 2008 20:00:08 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imagine some kind of Zelda vs Mario adventure platforming RPG, with Wind Waker graphics. And online.

/monocle and pipe

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• askew 30 Jan 2008 20:01:22 12,151 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    Oh STFU, ecc-

Oh, TG! Interesting news! Should be interesting.

lol :D

I'd prefer a new Mario game with a new gimmick if possible, but how about new galaxies as DLC?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 20:01:38 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nekotcha wrote: The fanboy in me hopes they'd never just 'churn out a sequel', instead looking to innovate and surprise with the next Mario as much as Galaxy did.
    It's funny, I really didn't feel like Galaxy was all that innovative. But rather than get at that old chestnut again, I will say that I'd like to see:

A) Less cheap re-use of old levels for speed runs and coin collecting and whatnot;
    B) More use of the wiimote beyond shaking it for a spin attack. The pointing functionality was (mostly) more or less optional in SMG in my opinion;
    C) The ability to take any of the power-ups with me when/wherever the fuck I want;
    D) A return to the old map-screen days;
    E) I don't care what ye all think, I want to see a return of Yoshi. His egg/fireball/whatever throwing ability could be great with the pointing functionality.

• Deleted user 30 January 2008 20:02:01
    BanjoMan wrote:
    I imagine some kind of Zelda vs Mario adventure platforming RPG, with Wind Waker graphics. And online.

/Imagines playing Zelda or Mario whilst people shout 'Faggot' and 'gay' at him

Um, no thanks.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2008 20:07:31
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    nekotcha wrote: The fanboy in me hopes they'd never just 'churn out a sequel', instead looking to innovate and surprise with the next Mario as much as Galaxy did.
    It's funny, I really didn't feel like Galaxy was all that innovative.

That's why I added 'surprise', which it did constantly. I do think there were some innovative touches in there but they weren't big headliners, more just platforming elements that I've never seen before, which considering a lifetime of playing platform games is pretty impressive.

But rather than get at that old chestnut again, I will say that I'd like to see:

A) Less cheap re-use of old levels for speed runs and coin collecting and whatnot;
    B) More use of the wiimote beyond shaking it for a spin attack. The pointing functionality was (mostly) more or less optional in SMG in my opinion;
    C) The ability to take any of the power-ups with me when/wherever the fuck I want;
    D) A return to the old map-screen days;
    E) I don't care what ye all think, I want to see a return of Yoshi. His egg/fireball/whatever throwing ability could be great with the pointing functionality.

I dunno, sounds to me like what you want is New Super Mario Bros 2 more than Mario Galaxy 2. :)
  • ilmaestro 30 Jan 2008 20:09:39 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    That sounds like the recipe for a 8/10 game.
    It sounds like a recipe for two things:

a) A really bad idea

b) A really bad idea that isn't going to happen, unless Nintendo really have fallen as far as I sometimes like to pretend they have

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 20:11:35 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nekotcha wrote: I dunno, sounds to me like what you want is New Super Mario World 2 more than Mario Galaxy 2. :)
    Fixed, and correct. :)

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 20:19:29 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NatAttack wrote: Well I thought SMG was innovative. I've never played anything quite like it. Jeeze, some people... moan... mumble...
    Just for the record, I loved that game. It was very polished, very inventive and terrific fun. I'm just saying, in my books, it wasn't even as innovative as SMS. But like I said, I don't want to get into that row again, the term innovation is just too subjective. I'm just stating my opinions for the permanent record.

• richardiox 30 Jan 2008 20:29:57 5,571 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    Ah you fuxed my post to make it look butte r.
  • mcmothercruncher 30 Jan 2008 20:31:13 6,699 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I cannae be arsed with another helping of Zelda game mechanics.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 22:29:04 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Up reported: As part of their special 1000th issue celebration, Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu sat down with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto to talk about where he and Nintendo have been, and where they might go next.

Perhaps one of the article's most interesting digressions delved into the mentality behind the development of the GameCube. When asked if any products have remained with him over the years, Miyamoto paused for a moment and responded, "It's not a game, but maybe the GameCube's controller. We made it as a culmination of everything leading up to it, but it really underwhelmed. 'This line of thinking doesn't give us anything else to shoot for, does it?' That's how I felt."

When prodded further, Miyamoto admitted that was what led to the Wii Remote. "The GameCube controller is a product of us feeling that, without this or that, people wouldn't be able to play the games we make. But then we realized that was a problem, that we were thinking based on that controller as the premise."

Despite the interviewer coming to the controller's defense, Miyamoto pushed on, stating that as a result, they weren't able to bring in new gamers. Despite his belief that entries in the Zelda series have gotten better-and while the games continued to do well in North America-sales in Japan were dropping with each release. "For GameCube software across the board, we weren't able to predict the sales figures as well as before. It was around then that it hit us: the market was disappearing."

Miyamoto also shed light on two themes they tackled at the DS's inception. "The first was 'something Mom won't hate.' It had always been that if your mom caught you playing Mario she would frown, but if she walked in while you were watching a Disney movie she'd be all smiles. Both give kids something to dream about, if you ask me." The only way to rectify the situation was to get Mom to understand the system and actually try it. "The other theme was 'making it so you could bring the system to school.' Why can't a game system help out at school, right?" If the DS could fill the role of existing classroom materials like flash cards, maybe the world would change. "I wanted to make titles like [the Japanese/kanji dictionary released only in Japan] even if they didn't sell. If we could succeed in getting them out there and take that next step, people might be able to take their DS's out into public or to school."

When asked about the success of Wii Fit and whether more titles for the peripheral were on the way, Miyamoto only suggested, "If it continues to gain popularity overseas, that's something I look forward to, since it means more Wii Balance Board titles might come out."

So what comes next for Nintendo? Miyamoto replied that he'd like to do more with games people can carry around with them, like with the DS. "Once people can use it in a wide range of public places, we could probably set up servers and create a good environment that links together play at home and play on the go-then work game technology into that." He later adds, "When you take your DS out on the town, you'll be able to do all kinds of fun things with it in public spaces. This year we plan to challenge ourselves with that kind of system."

What about Mario and Zelda and the good ol' Nintendo mainstays? Don't worry, says Miyamoto; more Mario, Zelda, and lots more surprises are on the way. "I'm making 'em all," he ended with a laugh.

• ilmaestro 30 Jan 2008 22:33:22 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you can pick out some choice quotations from that for me, TG, I'll give you a shiny penny.

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Jan 2008 22:35:49 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote: If you can pick out some choice quotations from that for me, TG, I'll give you a shiny penny.
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: What about Mario and Zelda and the good ol' Nintendo mainstays? Don't worry, says Miyamoto.
    /holds cap out expectantly

• Razz 30 Jan 2008 22:36:45 61,002 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Miyamoto in wanting to make a Mario and Zelda gmae shocker!!!! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 30 Jan 2008 22:44:39 7,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I see nothing wrong with more Super Mario Galaxy. In fact they should call it More Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Lost Galaxies or something so no-one is under any illusion that it's a new game, it's just an extra levels pack for Super Mario Galaxy.
  • SharksInYourMouth 30 Jan 2008 22:49:40 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As long as they throw in better level design, some levels that don't involve planet mechanics, bigger areas and lot's of suprsies as expected (expect the return of yoshi, new suits and something new and totally unexpected)

Probably won't turn out to be too bad actually, let's hope they don't actually name it Super Mario Galaxy 2.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Jun 2009 18:21:15 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, what do ya know. :D

• craigy Staff 2 Jun 2009 18:21:39 7,567 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D
  • DUFFKING 2 Jun 2009 18:22:54 7,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmilol
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Jun 2009 18:23:25 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As much as I loved Galaxy, I finished it and didn't even bother mopping up the extra levels.. so I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a pretty straight expansion seeing as I couldn't be arsed to even fully complete the first one... not sure I can justify it unless the mechanics are changed around significantly.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2009 18:26:16
    Pirotic wrote:
    As much as I loved Galaxy, I finished it and didn't even bother mopping up the extra levels...
    I completed it with both Mario and Luigi in a few weeks so needless to say I'd gobble up an expansion pack no problem. No problem at all.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Jun 2009 18:27:20 11,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I wanna play more levels. I'm a whore that way. XD

• Page

of 46 First / Last

Previous