Project Zero / Fatal Frame Wii Page 15

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Cappy 18 Mar 2013 12:19:53 12,415 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't you use BannerBomb to install the homebrew channel? The methods relying on exploits in specific retail releases were replaced by that I thought.

That's how I installed Homebrew Channel onto my Wii after an update, my Wii is NTSC and was strictly standard firmware, then they released Xenoblade in Europe and not the States, I was able to update the Wii to the latest firmware required for Xenoblade then put Homebrew Channel on after using BannerBomb.
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 12:24:31 17,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure - but thanks for the information - I'll have a look at that bannerbomb

cheers
  • dominalien 18 Mar 2013 13:07:37 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not bannerbomb, apparently, but letterbomb and a couple of others. At least according to this page.

It looks like the forum post fatalframe4.net were linking to with instructions to install on 4.3 got deleted/moved along with the entire forum, so you picked a bad time to do this, quadfather. :-(
  • dominalien 18 Mar 2013 13:10:09 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, and in answer to your question from the last page, I do have the translation patch working, but I'm not on 4.3. I couldn't remember what the installation procedure was if my life depended on it, though (not that it would help you in any way, of course).
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 13:12:42 17,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I really wish I hadn't have updated it, but it's done now.

Just been reading about letterbomb - that looks fairly straightforward, plus I have a guide to install it on 4.3 now, finally

I'll give it a go I think
  • dominalien 18 Mar 2013 13:14:56 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you access the guide, then? The forum's been throwing up an arror at me when I click on the thread.
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 13:29:42 17,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I couldn't on the main site, but that link I've posted above gives a fairly straightforward guide. Hopefully with that, and the letterbomb guide, it should theoretically be easy

ish.
  • dominalien 18 Mar 2013 13:34:21 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The link also gives me an error, but it's all good if it works for you. :-)
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 13:43:42 17,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does it? That's weird - definitely works for me
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 13:44:46 17,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    By the way, what's the actual game like? I've played all 3 of the first ones, and I've had this retail jap copy of number 4 ever since it came out, but never got round to sorting it
  • dominalien 18 Mar 2013 14:18:54 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm ashamed to say, but I only played it for a couple of hours. I really liked what I did play. Classic FF/PZ. I did grow to dislike the controls, though.
  • rock27gr 11 Feb 2015 21:26:20 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started this earlier today, the second one, not the Japanese only one. Have had it for more than a year, and decided to start clearing my backlog with this.

Done the first chapter so far, and impressions are mixed; it is definitely creepy, despite the simple PS2 era graphics, and the awkward movement and combat system. Even coming from Dead Space, the last game I completed, it still gets you.

The controls are, well, not good. And you can see it's on purpose, having you fumble around, especially when using the camera. The wiimote is not used in the logical way, i.e. Pointing and shooting. Instead of using the pointer, the developers chose to use the motion sensor of the wiimote for camera purposes, and when using the Photocamera in the game, they chose to spit the movement to the analogue stick for left and right, and the remote sensor for up and down.

They must think it's a really good way to do it too, cause if I understand correctly that's the control scheme from the Wii exclusive fourth game of the series imported on the remake/port of the PS2 second game in he series.

The rest of the game feels like an old school japanese horror game of the late 90s/early 00s, but so far I can't say that too bad a thing! It does have the annoying slow motion door opening, item collecting, and the girl runs very unrealistically, with her hands flapping around like they are boneless.

Still, i am intrigued.
  • rock27gr 12 Feb 2015 04:49:19 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After a couple more hours, I must say I was a bit mistaken regarding camera and Camera controls; you don't only get up and down on the wiimote, you also get left and right. It is still based on motion and not pointer function, but you do get used to it after a while.

I still think there was a better implementation for the wiimote, but I'm now more convinced that this was done on purpose.

Gameplay wise, though I can see it's simplistic, it gets a lot of things right; even the item collecting has been turned into a scary act, you have a variety of ghosts, collectable gosts, interesting story, and the Japanese village setting is quite appopriate. ThE atmosphere it creates is quite effective in unsettling you too!

Let's see how it goes from here on, I'm middle of chapter 2 I think.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Feb 2015 16:39:24 869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I kept meaning to pick up the Wii version of this but procrastrinated until the reasonably priced coies had sold out in the online stores. Yeah, the controls are odd (I played PZ4), and as you say I think they replicated 4's system.
  • Malek86 12 Feb 2015 16:51:07 2,176 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it's like PZ4, I can't see myself appreciating it. I also didn't like the whole "scary item retrieval" idea. It's cool the first couple times, then it gets annoying.

With the 360 supporting the second game in backward compatibility pretty much perfectly (quite rare for an Xbox game on the 360 - the first one doesn't even work), I've never really felt the need to pick up the Wii remake. It's missing the first person mode too, which is a bummer.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:51:29 12-02-2015
  • rock27gr 12 Feb 2015 16:59:14 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As far as I know it's the second one remade with elements from the 4th one. Having no prior experience with the series, I can't say what's actually changed though.
  • Malek86 12 Feb 2015 17:20:40 2,176 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I know, aside from changing the controls and updating the graphics, the game itself isn't really any different. They could have shuffled a few random ghosts around, but not much. The real meat is that they added a few extra endings, but the requirements to get them might be a little hard.
  • Rodpad 12 Feb 2015 17:24:49 2,599 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The third one is undoubtedly the most shit your pants out of the series. The way your real house becomes more and more haunted every day is nightmare fuel.

Shame it's exclusive to the PS2 and I believe you can only now purchase it to play on NA PS3's from the PSN store.

Edited by Rodpad at 17:25:14 12-02-2015
  • Malek86 12 Feb 2015 17:32:56 2,176 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is a shame, because PZ3 is probably my favorite one. But the PS2 game is pretty nice already, it even supports 480p on the PAL version.

I'm still hoping that at some point, they'll at least have working PS1 and PS2 emulators on the PS4.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:33:21 12-02-2015
  • rock27gr 12 Feb 2015 17:48:29 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently, if the EG review is correct, the game has been given a new lick of paint, and the camera system has changed from PS era Resident Evil, to GC era Resident Evil 4, which is a major change I would assume.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-11-project-zero-2-wii-edition-review

By the way the review is one of the better ones I've read on EG, quite descriptive on how the game plays and feels, and pretty accurate (with the limited playtime I have until now).

In any case, it seems nintendo is co-owner of the Project Zero franchise since 4 was released, is I wouldn't expect any ps4 remakes/rereleases any time soon.

I wonder why they chose the second to remake, as opposed to the 1st or 3rd.
  • Malek86 12 Feb 2015 17:58:30 2,176 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The camera change, yeah, I forgot about that. But the Director's Cut released on Xbox featured both the RE style camera and an optional first person mode, so I guess the remake's shoulder camera (from PZ4 actually) could be considered somewhat similar to the first person mode.

The thing about Nintendo being co-owner of the IP was always something of a rumor, never officially confirmed. Although, given the last few releases (two Wii, 3DS, Wii U) I guess it could be true.

Finally, I would assume that they chose to remake the second one because fans usually consider it the best game in the series, and I believe it's also the highest selling one worldwide. It's too bad really, because PZ2 is the only game that is playable on 360, making it less essential for a remake. PZ1 would have been a better choice, since the Xbox version is not backward compatible and the PS2 version has aged quite a bit (it didn't even allow you to invert the sticks layout, forcing you use the right stick to control movements in camera mode!).
  • dominalien 12 Feb 2015 18:16:39 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dominalien 12 Feb 2015 18:20:00 7,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PZ (or rather, FF) 1-3 can indeed be had on PS3 from the US PSN, which is where I got them from for some 5 bucks apiece, faced by the scarcity and high prices of EU disc versions. They are still quite excellent.
  • rock27gr 12 Feb 2015 19:05:18 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would recommend reading the "Iwata Asks" for this game, it's quite funny and interesting read in general about the people behind the series, and their fondness of ghosts and Female leads? Surprised to read sexual innuendos between Iwata and the producers too!
  • rock27gr 25 Feb 2015 19:07:13 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I'm moving through this game at a very slow rate. I can't seem to be able to play more than an hour or so without taking a break, the dread just gets me. Plus, the OCD in me just makes me reset every time I don't manage to photograph one of those "missable" gosts, which obviously is having quite an impact on my progression.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Feb 2015 19:30:10 869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I share your pain re. the missables playing PZ4. Thankfully knowing that game is bugged and the ghost list is uncompletable (along with frustration) lets me miss the odd really awkward one ;)
  • superbob85 Best Forumite, 2014 25 Feb 2015 19:42:52 3,601 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hope the sequel gets released over here. The gamepad will work great for the camera.
  • rock27gr 25 Feb 2015 19:44:34 6,174 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well they didn't teen release the fourth game, but did release the remake, so who knows! Is the Wii U one actually out in Japan?
  • superbob85 Best Forumite, 2014 25 Feb 2015 19:48:01 3,601 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not sure if its out yet remember vaguely reading something about a strong possibility about it getting released. But who knows.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2015 19:52:06
    It's out in Japan. It didn't sell massively well, I don't believe. However, the developers behind Devil's Third believe Fatal Frame V will be released in the West (if just to flesh out releases).
  • Page

of 16 First / Last