Arsenal match discussion Page 310

• Page

of 536 First / Last

• evild_edd 18 Nov 2012 12:51:35 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Atmosphere was rocking yesterday - which you'd expect for this fixture. Only seen two NLDs 'in the flesh', and both 5-2 wins. Not too shabby...

Feeling more than a little hungover today, though :0(

Santi was the main man yesterday. Ran the show. Was willing to try the difficult stuff, even if it didn't always come off. Often, however, it did.

Thought Jack and Arteta were decent without being great, yesterday. Jack did a couple of nice little turns and flicks, and Arteta was neat and efficient. Neither were great though, and I think there are reasons for that: Jack will take time to rediscover his form; Arteta is having to play in this holding role. More than anyone, Arteta is missing Song in midfield.

Rambo was, again, woeful when he came on yesterday. Tough match to arrive in as a sub, admittedly, but it's been a painfully long time since I've seen him put in anything other than a poor performance.

I think we miss having a big presence in centre midfield. Song was that, and Diaby can be that for the half dozen games a season for which he's fit. Personally, I reckon we should sell Rambo, let Diaby go, and look to bring in a strong, tall CM. They don't necessarily need to be a 'holding midfielder', but just a strong presence.

Whilst all three are quality, I'm not sure having an Arteta-Santi-Jack midfield trio is going to provide us with the right balance.

Positives (other than Santi):
    1. Overall tempo was much improved
    2. The OC really offers something from the bench
    3. Theo was great, yet again (we need to cough up)
    4. Giroud is getting better and better by the game. Just as importantly, I think he's winning the fans over now.
    5. Pod's best effort for a long time: goal and assist and worked hard throughout.
    6. FINALLY SOMETHING TO CHEER!!! :D
  • Blotto 18 Nov 2012 13:43:22 2,778 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't see anything wrong with keeping Diaby and letting him try and fight his way into the team when fit, who knows, that might actually be good for him, rather than having to come in straight away and play a load of games he's probably not ready for.

I just don't think we should be leaving a space open for him just to waltz into when he's fit.
  • evild_edd 18 Nov 2012 13:47:28 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing against Diaby fighting for his place, I just think that his (frankly woeful) injury record suggests his wages would be better spent on someone who can stay fit.

Getting rid of Rambo and Diaby would fund a decent signing.
  • The-Bodybuilder 18 Nov 2012 14:13:38 16,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You all know I love Diaby, but even I've officially given up now. If a year or so of rehab couldn't get him fit for more than 3 games, he will never be fit. His on allegedly 70k, that's a lot of money that can be put to good use.

sell him (sadly), maybe Rambo should go on loan or something, then get Fellaini to play CM between arteta and Santi, with Wilshere cover for Santi as no. 10.
  • THFourteen 18 Nov 2012 14:15:03 40,607 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cant be bothered with any analysis or moaning or whatever today

its all about happy happy joy joy \o/
  • The-Bodybuilder 18 Nov 2012 15:22:36 16,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will that be followed up with sadness sadness depression depression after we lose our next game? :D
  • MiniAmin 18 Nov 2012 15:25:19 3,754 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's strange - I never frequent the EG forums anymore, however whenever Arsenal win I have to lurk here and share everyone's happiness.

Yesterday was awesome, I really thought we were going to lose. Funnily enough I predicted that Adebayor would get sent off but that we'd lose 3-1.
  • QotSAfan 18 Nov 2012 20:50:36 1,998 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sell Rambo? You mad? The lad is only being handicapped because he is constantly being played out of position. Hard to get form and confidence when that happens to you. I definitely agree with selling Diaby though.
  • THFourteen 19 Nov 2012 07:27:21 40,607 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Will that be followed up with sadness sadness depression depression after we lose our next game? :D
    Heh. Dunno, i'm getting more and more nonplussed about the results.... the only game i didnt want to lose this season was this one.

sign of a mid-table / small club mentality.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Nov 2012 10:33:20 16,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, I'm the same.
    it does mean my weekends aren't ruined by an arsenal lose like it used to.
  • evild_edd 19 Nov 2012 11:07:13 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you two are letting hope slip away too easily. After all, things could easily turn around when Diaby and Rosicky come back into the side... they'll be just like new signings!

Edited by evild_edd at 11:07:50 19-11-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Nov 2012 17:09:12 16,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Troll face looks like Wenger.
  • evild_edd 20 Nov 2012 16:38:35 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, with Gibbs in surprise contention, Theo out, and Gerv' back in the squad (see injury thread), we've got some tinkering for tomorrow's 'must-win' CL match. Personally, my starting XI would be thus:

Szczesny
    Sagna - Mert' - Kos - Gibbs
    Santi - Arteta - Jack
    The OC - Giroud - Poldi

Bench: The Don, Verm, Jenko, Rambo, Gnabry(?), Gerv, AA

Of course, in reality I can't see him dropping Verm', but Kos has done little wrong since his return (no more than Per or Verm, anyway). I hope we keep Mert in place as I think he makes both Verm and Kos play better, but I suppose we may come down to fatigue and rotation...and whether Gibbs is ready to jump straight back in, of course.

At least AA and Gerv give us some impact and genuine options from the bench. I think both players are better as 'super subs', anyway.

Bring it on!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2012 16:46:15 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenks and Rambo come in tomorrow for Sagna and Jack/Santi. Would like Santi to get a rest after his flying last week IMO.
  • evild_edd 20 Nov 2012 16:50:18 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If we hadn't p*ssed away a two goal lead in the last CL match, I'd agree. As it is, I think we'll push to win this, hope Shalke beat Olympiacos, and fly out to Greece knowing we've qualification in the bag.

I'm with you, though. Would be nice to rest a few. Jenks in for Sagna's not a bad shout...
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2012 16:53:43 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of the Twitter ITK types was saying Sagna will most likely be rested. I think we'll keep Verm at left back, and bring Gibbs back for Saturday. No point risking him, we should beat Montpellier with a bit to spare.
  • evild_edd 20 Nov 2012 16:56:19 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why - WHY!!?! - would you commit that last sentence to writing. Speaking it would be tempting fate! Hell, just thinking such things is dangerous enough! But you have to go and upload it to the tinterweb!!!

Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror, SCE, and think about what you've done!

;0)
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2012 17:03:57 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh. If we struggle to beat them then we have problems!
  • Kay 20 Nov 2012 17:29:30 18,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They caused us huge problems in the second half of the first match, I seem to remember. I don't think we're in a position to underestimate any team tbh.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2012 23:48:18 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    '@Established1886: Team News: Gibbs and Gervinho back involved. Chamberlain starts. 1 change to Saturday's back four. Will leave the full news. #Arsenal'

Jenks for Bac is my guess.
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 19:32:09 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, with The OC coming in for Theo, it's the same starting XI as Saturday then:

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud, Podolski.
    Subs: Mannone, Ramsey, Coquelin, Arshavin, Jenkinson, Gervinho, Gibbs.

AW obviously keen to get the qualification sorted tonight. Looks like he's trying to ease Gibbs back into the side, which I understand...
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 21:05:50 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What a fucking goal from Podolski!!!

Two assistst for Giroud - can't argue with that either :0)

Much better second half.
  • danathjo 21 Nov 2012 21:14:26 7,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    such a lovely love tap Giroud gave that second one, amazing passing for a big man.
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 21:38:24 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Both good goals, though not an amazing performance by any stretch.

Job done though, and the Shalke win (just confirmed) means we can rest some players for the final fixture.

Bring on Barca in the next round!!! :S
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Nov 2012 21:48:48 16,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    great game from Giroud.
    deep deep down though, I still think Podolski would be our top goalscorer if he was CF. Still don't think we're seeing the best of him on the wing, but he is doing a job there.
    still think he could be our 30-goal striker.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 21:50:24 21-11-2012
  • Dougs 21 Nov 2012 21:53:53 78,074 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Perfect. Still a chance of top spot but doesn't really matter these days. It'll because hard game regardless
  • QotSAfan 21 Nov 2012 21:57:02 1,998 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    great game from Giroud.
    deep deep down though, I still think Podolski would be our top goalscorer if he was CF. Still don't think we're seeing the best of him on the wing, but he is doing a job there.
    still think he could be our 30-goal striker.
    Agreed! I think we need to start playing two upfront and drop the lone man striker. Our system at the moment just doesn't suit our players. Besides, imagine Ramsey on the left! :D
  • QotSAfan 21 Nov 2012 22:00:23 1,998 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also having just seen both goals, Wilshere impresses me more, just shows how good his instincts are when it comes to football.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Nov 2012 22:07:16 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good performance, stunning goal by Poldi, CL knockout football yet again, 13 years in a row. Reckon we'll rest some players for the last game and hope we get a favourable draw against some of the group winners. I fancy our chances against anyone apart from Barca from the current group leaders.
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 22:15:05 3,662 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jack had a strange game today. Passing was all over the shop at times and he gave the ball away in a fashion that would've been greeted by boos if it was Rambo...

...then you saw his flashes of decisive running, clever flicks, and his desire to get in the box for that goal.

I don't expect a lot of goals from Jack, but that was a classy one.

A side question here: any thoughts on M'Vila's display? He seemed to be everywhere, putting tackles in. Creative play was lacking, but that might be down to the caliber of his teammates...?
  • Page

of 536 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.