Apple TV Page 2

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:33:38
    morriss wrote:
    ...and every time they do it needs a thread filled with planks. No offence. Just wait. They'll be here in a minute.
    We'll you're already here waiting for a fight I see :D
  • morriss 28 May 2010 16:33:57 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    of course! :)
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:34:10
    They'll be here in a minute. lmbo
  • nickthegun 28 May 2010 16:35:11 61,305 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    AFAIK, its just going to be a glorified iPod touch.

    And if it had a keyboard, it would be a laptop. Unless you mean virtual, then yes, its got a iPhone style UI.

    Go nick! Go Nick!

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:35:20
    Do you really have to provoke them? Can't we save the shit storm for a boring Monday at least?
  • Syrette 28 May 2010 16:35:43 44,214 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've already got my Apple TV on pre-pre-order. I don't care if I'll be able to do the same things with a cheaper device. It's not a luxury item.

  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:36:14
    You what?
  • Syrette 28 May 2010 16:36:54 44,214 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You what?

    I said I've already got my Apple TV on pre-pre-order. I don't care if I'll be able to do the same things with a cheaper device. It's not a luxury item.

  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:37:21
    lol
  • nickthegun 28 May 2010 16:37:24 61,305 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only way the Apple TV could be more of a luxury item would be if its case was made out of gold and the remote had diamond buttons.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 16:37:37
    Anyway re:Apple TV - idgi
  • Lukus 28 May 2010 16:47:16 19,468 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Define luxury...

    Paintings & Photographs

  • gamingdave 28 May 2010 16:53:35 4,334 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whatever it is, 99$, no chance!

    Can't see them releasing something running iOS and then not having it controlled with a finger, after upholding finger interaction as the holy grail of computing.

    It will also be locked down to the hilt.

    Apple TV is great in practice, and a very reliable system, but its lack of support for non Apple "approved" media formats and its lack of HD audio (and even out the box full HD video) ment I went down the HTPC route. Still, something to be said for simpler systems if they are stable though. My HTPC can handle 1080p streams, HD audio, and anything else I throw at it, it does however need a little bit of tweaking changing a setting here and there, and isnt very wife friendly. The difference in quality of DTS Master Audio and normal DTS is noticeable, but sometimes I wonder if its that much better that it was worth all the time spent setting it all up, as apposed to just buying something and plugging it in.
  • morriss 28 May 2010 16:54:39 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    ...and every time they do it needs a thread filled with planks. No offence. Just wait. They'll be here in a minute.
    ironoman is in a coma.
    Ta-daa!

  • mrpon 28 May 2010 17:00:52 29,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Define luxury...

    Something you have to spend a months wages on.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • spindizzy 28 May 2010 18:52:47 6,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    ...and every time they do it needs a thread filled with planks. No offence. Just wait. They'll be here in a minute.
    ironoman is in a coma.
    Ta-daa!


    Yeah but why do you fucking do this morriss? I'm interested in Apple stuff and I'd rather read the threads without you provoking an argument every time. If you're bored of news from Apple you could, you know, not read this part of the forum? ;-P

    Anyway, back on topic. I guess this is good news - I was always tempted by Apple TV but it was too expensive and underpowered for what it did. At the moment I'm pretty happy with using my 360, apart from the noise. If ATV v2 plays mkv etc then maybe I'll buy this (but I bet it doesn't).
  • Deleted user 28 May 2010 23:30:46
    Read this :

    http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/215308/apple-tv-and-games/
  • Jackface 29 May 2010 10:14:34 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Whatever it is, 99$, no chance!
    You don't think it'll be that cheap? Why, because "It's Apple and they don't do cheap."? I think it's a perfectly plausible price point. The OS 4.0 software already exists and from the sounds of it the hardware will be literally a plug. The Airport Express plug is about $99 isn't it?

    Can't see them releasing something running iOS and then not having it controlled with a finger, after upholding finger interaction as the holy grail of computing.
    Another groundless dig or do you have some decent thinking behind the comment? I can easily see them creating something that uses iOS 4.0 that doesn't require touch. It's a simple, elegant OS that will perfectly suit a TV screen, plus it will allow it to be (optionally) seamlessly controlled by all those touch-baed iOS devices, especially iPads.

    It will also be locked down to the hilt.
    So what? Anyway, as we all know, iOS devices can be jailbreaked. There's a healthy Apple TV hacking community. This could be no different.

    But let's just wait and see, yeah? Personally I have zero interest in the Apple TV as it stands - my Xbox does a perfectly good job of streaming (almost) every popular video format from my Mac using 3rd party software like Rivet. Only downside is the electricity cost and the fan noise. If a $99 Apple solution came out that did exactly the same thing without having to run my Xbox (ie, allowed me to stream any video, not just iTunes format videos) I'd consider it seriously.

    If they don't allow multi-format non-iTunes streaming I'm not interested, but then again if it runs iOS4.0 maybe it'll allow you to get 3rd party apps from the App Store, in which case something like Air Video would be incredibly useful on it.
  • woodnotes 17 Oct 2010 12:17:38 4,943 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick question...

    If I buy a TV episode on the new AppleTV, can I then watch it on my PC by downloading it from iTunes? ie. Is it like Zune Marketplace in this regard, or is there no cross-over for purchases?

    I'd also be interested to know if it works the other way around, ie if I buy a TV episode from iTunes on the PC, will I be able to watch it on AppleTV without having to stream it from my PC?
  • beastmaster 17 Oct 2010 12:29:34 11,985 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jackface

    Rivet? I've never really thought of using the 360 to stream from the Mac. I thought it was just through Windows. Is it easy to set up? I'd like to give it a go.

    Edit: complete noob when comes to this sort of stuff

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • Deleted user 17 October 2010 12:32:44
    woodnotes wrote:
    Quick question...

    If I buy a TV episode on the new AppleTV, can I then watch it on my PC by downloading it from iTunes? ie. Is it like Zune Marketplace in this regard, or is there no cross-over for purchases?

    I'd also be interested to know if it works the other way around, ie if I buy a TV episode from iTunes on the PC, will I be able to watch it on AppleTV without having to stream it from my PC?
    Unfortunately not, I'm surprised there's been no cross-platform DRM solution yet, but then this is why people torrent/download stuff.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2010 12:33:28
    beastmaster wrote:
    @Jackface

    Rivet? I've never really thought of using the 360 to stream from the Mac. I thought it was just through Windows. Is it easy to set up? I'd like to give it a go.

    Edit: complete noob when comes to this sort of stuff
    Yes, Rivet is really good, no setup involved. Just install it.
  • elstoof 17 Oct 2010 13:25:13 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The only way the Apple TV could be more of a luxury item would be if its case was made out of gold and the remote had diamond buttons.

    Here it is!
  • woodnotes 17 Oct 2010 13:43:24 4,943 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just found out there aren't any TV episodes for rental or purchase on the new Apple TV in the UK. So, movies and streaming only. And my 360 and PS3 already do that stuff! So really baffled by the point of it.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 11:42:39
    Yes there is.

    So, argos are selling the AppleTV 160GB model for 146, how much does the CrystalHD modification cost?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 18 Oct 2010 12:24:44 7,020 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Just found out there aren't any TV episodes for rental or purchase on the new Apple TV in the UK. So, movies and streaming only. And my 360 and PS3 already do that stuff! So really baffled by the point of it.

    Perhaps it's for people who don't have a 360 or PS3?
  • woodnotes 18 Oct 2010 12:29:28 4,943 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    woodnotes wrote:
    Just found out there aren't any TV episodes for rental or purchase on the new Apple TV in the UK. So, movies and streaming only. And my 360 and PS3 already do that stuff! So really baffled by the point of it.

    Perhaps it's for people who don't have a 360 or PS3?
    Or Sky Box Office or Virgin. Or Lovefilm. And who can't be arsed going to Blockbuster.

    I suppose.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 12:31:50
    I'm getting one mostly for music streaming, I barely rent anything, but there's a lot of choice on the iTunes store.

    EDIT: Obviously I'll be jailbreaking it, but 95% of my movies are compatible anyways.
  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

Log in or register to reply