Unreal Tournament 3

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 4 Jan 2008 00:27:46 77,766 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this, just ones that dangled around and didn't really discuss the game to any degree, so here it is.

I got this today and installed it a few hours ago and it's ace. Looks nice, plays well with no major differences to the classic mechanics and it's tip top fun.

I've only blarted about with the instant action thing so far to get the lay of the land, but so far I'm very impressed. The UT3 Engine is a lovely thing.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DUFFKING 4 Jan 2008 00:48:07 7,229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's great, and I like the subtle movement/gameplay differences.

There's a far greater sense of gravity, far less of the stupid trickjumping theatrics of the last 2 games, and everything has more weight to it. The guns sound and look powerful too.

They've fixed player scaling, if you ever looked in UT03/04, the characters are actually really short, but in this it's much better...

They've even got the DM map design right :)

I've been toying with the editor (as mentioned elsewhere):

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/MAPR3.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/MAPR4.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/MAPR2.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/MAPR1.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/ED1.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/DUFFKING/MAP2.jpg

For some reason some of the stair cases didn't have collision models... had to use blocking volumes. Then I realised I should probably use volumes anyway, since if you run up stairs the view goes nuts, a nice sloped blocking volume means you run straight up :)
  • FooAtari 4 Jan 2008 11:42:38 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep I quite like it to. Thats all I have to add other than anyone looking for a few games at some point?

You guys use Xfire?
  • Katsumoto 4 Jan 2008 14:39:07 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I absolutely love this too. LOVE it. All it needs are more maps, which I have no doubt are coming.
  • El_MUERkO 4 Jan 2008 15:05:42 16,987 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i had it preordered for 17.99 from play since it was announced so i got it at release, however my pc is poo so i've only played the demo, a new pc will be built eventually and i look forward to flak cannon silliness :D
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Jan 2008 15:49:01 37,905 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got this in the sales. It is rather spiffy isn't it?

I love the bass in the guys voice when he says "SPREE"

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• martyngates 4 Jan 2008 17:23:50 1,752 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone bought the special edition? or watched the level making vids? quite tempted to pay the extra 5 if they are any good
  • DUFFKING 4 Jan 2008 17:26:30 7,229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you want it just for level editing vids I'm sure you can find plenty of good stuff online, I learned using tutorials. If it's got 3D modelling stuff though, that would be useful as otherwise you're stuck using stock meshes like I am.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2008 17:43:25
    I have the special edition. Haven't watched the tutorial vids, but there's an absolute shitload of them. A nice history of Unreal docu on there too.
  • Katsumoto 4 Jan 2008 20:50:38 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Duff btw, those look really impressive! Do you have a lot of experience in making levels, or is the editor really intuitive, or both?

I'm craving some Facing Worlds, some Morpheus, some Lavagiant, some Monastery etc. Has the mod community got going yet? Last I checked there still weren't many maps available for download
  • DUFFKING 5 Jan 2008 15:50:20 7,229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Katsumoto wrote:
    Duff btw, those look really impressive! Do you have a lot of experience in making levels, or is the editor really intuitive, or both?

I'm craving some Facing Worlds, some Morpheus, some Lavagiant, some Monastery etc. Has the mod community got going yet? Last I checked there still weren't many maps available for download

Thanks. On facing worlds side of things, a friend of mine made this and me very jealous:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/NeoGzus/TwistedFACE133.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/NeoGzus/TwistedFACE13333.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/NeoGzus/TwistedFACE1333332.jpg

Download it here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/NeoGzus/TwistedFACE1333332.jpg

Frankly, the editor is the biggest pain in the arse program to use. It's not particularly difficult to learn, as theres about 7 billion tutorials on the internet, the program is just very annoying, little things like selecting the object about 10 pixels away from where you just clicked etc. I've not got much level editing experience, I did a few maps for UT2004 but nothing beyond that other than Trackmania.

• CouldntResist 5 Jan 2008 18:17:42 228 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree it's ace. I love how they always optimise UT so well that it runs at high settings even on 2 year old mid-range PCs.
  • ChthonicEcho 4 Jun 2008 05:22:35 410 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had the Yarr! Edition for a while, but now I'm considering buying it (the Unreal Deal Pack on Steam in particular, because I've been yearning to play the first Unreal and UT2k4). Are the European servers populated enough?
  • ilmaestro 4 Jun 2008 22:58:39 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Sad that the PC version has 13 replies, the PS3 version has 230. ;_;
    Well, it's sad from the PS3 owners' point of view, yes.

• Hunam 4 Jun 2008 23:03:19 20,674 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UT3 is dead. Bought it on the cheap on steam a month or so ago, went to have a game online last night and there was like 6 servers.
  • Whizzo 4 Jun 2008 23:06:34 43,096 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best thing to check is Gamespy's stats, more people are playing the Halo demo.

This space left intentionally blank.

• DUFFKING 4 Jun 2008 23:12:58 7,229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never played UT online much, I'd rather play against the bots. Guaranteed to be around my skill level/a little better so it's a lot of fun as a result. Shame it's not very popular though, it's the best of the series IMO.
  • ilmaestro 4 Jun 2008 23:15:30 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Best thing to check is Gamespy's stats, more people are playing the Halo demo.
    More people are playing the older UT games, which is probably more damning.

• Hunam 4 Jun 2008 23:20:52 20,674 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought UT3 because it's pretty to look at. The campagin is a joke, i enjoyed the old style 'just play through all the maps with bots and modified one of a kind settings' but this attempts a story and fails massively. CTF is abit meh, vehicle CTF is awful and Warfare is still crap. Worst of the lot in my opinion.
  • Deleted user 4 June 2008 23:21:50
    Played the demo for 15 minutes, and deleted it. Looks great, but it just felt a bit past it.
  • Whizzo 30 Jan 2009 23:45:21 43,096 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awise, awise fwom your gwave thwead! *cough* Sorry not sure what happened there.

So the megapatch is going to be coming out soon and it'll even have achievements if you've got the Steam version which is everyone now as it'll take your retail key and add it to your collection. If you've already got it installed and don't want to download it again, considering it's about 8 gig that's probably everyone, start a download, stop it and then copy your install over the top in the Steam directory that it's created.

It'll download some stuff when you restart the download but not so much and if you get the C++ runtime problem at start up get it to verify the install and it should get fixed.

It's been almost a year since I last touched it and gave up so I don't know how it's been changed but after a couple of botmatches it didn't seem so bad considering I really didn't think much of it before.

Perhaps it's the thought of those achievements or maybe just being able to plod around in a giant war machine frying people.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 31 January 2009 16:13:34
    For anybody who's interested, Play.com are doing a deal for 7.99. Even I am tempted despite my misgivings for that kind of fast n' frantic gameplay.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/601818/Unreal-Tournament-III/Product.html?add=601818
  • Kostabi 31 Jan 2009 16:50:06 4,912 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought it for cheap off Impulse a while back, happily the CD key works with Steam. Result.
  • ChthonicEcho 31 Jan 2009 18:53:14 410 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    I bought UT3 because it's pretty to look at. The campagin is a joke, i enjoyed the old style 'just play through all the maps with bots and modified one of a kind settings' but this attempts a story and fails massively. CTF is abit meh, vehicle CTF is awful and Warfare is still crap. Worst of the lot in my opinion.
    Epic weren't trying to write up a good story. Numerous jokes that break the fourth wall by mocking the story mode and the game itself prove as much.

I've considered buying Unreal Tournament 3 in the past, but as much as I like it, it's dead online. I don't think the colossal patch or the expansion pack is going to bring back a lot of people, so I will stay away from the game, I reckon.
  • Hunam 31 Jan 2009 18:58:50 20,674 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If your not trying to write a good story, why waste disc space with all those terrible cutscenes? It just wasn't worth it, intentions or no.

The game just suffers from lack of direction with the gameplay, I wouldn't really bother spending cash on it unless you need something else to show your computer off with and it's only a fiver. Not saying it's a fiver anywhere but it's all it's worth.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2009 19:54:21
    ChthonicEcho wrote:
    I've considered buying Unreal Tournament 3 in the past, but as much as I like it, it's dead online. I don't think the colossal patch or the expansion pack is going to bring back a lot of people, so I will stay away from the game, I reckon.

This has been the case with the last few released and has been one of the discouraging factors for me.
  • neilka 5 Mar 2009 21:31:52 15,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can play this for free on Steam this weekend! (Starting from now, it seems.)

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Hunam 6 Mar 2009 19:56:09 20,674 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When did all the good designers leave epic and hire a bunch of guys who love teh gimmicks?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous