Just Cause 2 Page 2

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 2 Jun 2009 14:14:01 12,758 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah I see, I never got around to getting the original so I wasn't aware that he had it in that, so not completly nicked then, just a bit ;)

Portable view - Never forget.

• glaeken 2 Jun 2009 14:18:30 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was actually a rather good aspect of the original as combining the parachute with the grapple meant you could pretty much travel the environment without touching down on the ground.

If you don't have the original its probably worth checking out as it's dam cheap now and the basic game play mechanics are great and it still looks graphically strong even now.

For me the key strength of the first game was the sense of exploration of such a massive environment and its looking like the sequel will be similar in scope.
  • pjmaybe 2 Jun 2009 14:19:54 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What I want from the sequel

1) tidier graphics
    2) more over-the-top vehicles
    3) More mariachi band music
  • glaeken 2 Jun 2009 14:21:44 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I think they are there on the graphics. The vehicle stuff actually looked quite similar to the first game. As for the maraichi music I have no speakers on my work PC so for all I know that video could have been wall to wall mariachi sound tracked.
  • Blerk Moderator 4 Jun 2009 09:32:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hadn't really paid this game any attention at all, but this ten minute in-game developer walkthrough is completely barking. It looks excellent! :-D
  • glaeken 4 Jun 2009 10:04:25 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice stuff. It does not actually look that much different to the first game in that video but then the first game was very nice looking considering it was originally developed for the xbox.

I see things like the parachute looks more manoeuvrable now and you seem to have some extra options for moving around on the exterior of vehicles. I also like the look of how the grapple has been modified so that it appears you can grapple onto anything and that looks to add quite a bit to moving around the environment. The ability to attach things togther with the grapple looks like it could be a lot of fun as well.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Jun 2009 11:34:29 7,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can tether people to gas canisters then shoot the gas to send them flying. Outstanding. I hope the multiplayer allows you to tether your friends to passing cars.
  • glaeken 4 Jun 2009 11:37:07 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The previous video showed someone tethered to a motor bike being dragged :) I actually wonder if you can tether two cars togther and what the result might be. There don't look to be an limits to what you can tether together going on that last video.
  • Scimarad 4 Jun 2009 17:37:51 8,536 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I hadn't really paid this game any attention at all, but this ten minute in-game developer walkthrough is completely barking. It looks excellent! :-D

That really does look great. Really made lol:)

I really liked the "He has stuck some sort of wire to me!" (or whatever it was) comment.
  • Feanor 5 Jun 2009 20:20:24 14,140 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

The Giant Bomb guys were also raving about the game based on this trailer/developer walkthru (which I link to since I had trouble getting the gamersyde one to work.)

http://www.giantbomb.com/just-cause-2-walkthrough-video/17-791/
  • ecureuil 5 Jun 2009 20:24:01 76,701 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Odd, I was just looking for this thread and I was going to post that 10 minute developer walkthrough. After spending 10 minutes using both the google and EG search, and being unable to find it, I was about to make my own thread. Good job this was bumped!

It does look very good, but I'm slightly concerned that the ease at which you can take to the skies might dampen the fun of it. I don't really want to be navigating the entire game like Spiderman, which is what looks likely. Still looks awesome though.
  • Syrette 5 Jun 2009 21:01:29 43,295 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooh, nice water effects.

Got some noticable texture pop-in and v-sync issues though but it's obviously nowhere near the finished product.

• Syrette 5 Jun 2009 21:05:59 43,295 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That car-riding section looked pretty ridiculous and like the above poster says the grappling hook dynamic looks a bit overused, but I guess that's the nature of the game.

Cool physics too.

• BabyJesus 3 Sep 2009 06:27:28 4,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Someone over on gaf pasted this link of 11 minutes of gameplay footage, looks pretty cool.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/54870/PC/Just-Cause-2/Gameplay/GamesCom-09-Ten-Minute-Gameplay-Movie
  • khaz 3 Sep 2009 22:13:57 2,780 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahh, you moved this thread here. No wonder my JC2 thread got closed.

Yes, that developer walkthrough is awesome. More gameplay in it than the entirety of JC1. Gameworld is HEUG! I also like the fact that the game moves at a silky fps with no apparent loss in performance. :o

The grapple looks fantastic though.
  • glaeken 2 Nov 2009 13:01:02 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice new video.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26919

It's looking superb to my eye. Fingers crossed for this one.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Nov 2009 13:24:46 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hoping this turns out well, the videos have been great!
  • danathjo 2 Nov 2009 13:27:35 7,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah, visually it looks amazing but something just isn't right...I suspect it's going to be a lot more fiddly controls wise getting around like the pro's doing all the vids so far
    hopefully it's fab but kinda just reminds me of far cry 2 crossed with bionic commando

if they get it right it'll be awesome but painfully repetitive if they don't
  • glaeken 2 Nov 2009 13:34:00 11,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The parachuting and grapel stuff actually don't look that different to the first game and going on that the controls in the first game for those elements was great so I would expect the same again really. I would actually say how smooth the parachute/grapel stuff was in the first game was highlight.

Really the problems with the first game were the combat was pretty naff and the activities were a little limited. The combat for the second game has been completly revised apparently so we will have to hope that translates to much improved. As for the activities there has been very little information on what they might be so far beyond the fact the devs aknowledge this was a weak area of the first game which suggests they know it needs improving.
  • RedSparrows 2 Nov 2009 14:24:16 22,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found Just Cause to be initially thrilling. And then so very, very dull. No reason to keep playing, on and on and on ;(
  • malteaserhead 2 Nov 2009 14:27:53 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. The first one was like a sugar rush. It needed better core gameplay to sustain the love for the initially sweet tasting sky diving, vistas and flying around.
    I got the same vibe from the likes of prototype, hulk destruction etc.
    You think "wow I'll never get tired of doing that", then tire of it, quickly ;)
  • RedSparrows 2 Nov 2009 14:28:44 22,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find the same problem with many free roaming games. Crackdown only avoided it by having orbs, for me anyway.
  • X201 2 Nov 2009 14:31:01 15,254 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The PC version of the original was bugged to hell and back. rendering it unplayable in certain circumstances.

Just image GTA automatically going to a 6 star wanted level every time you load the game, with no way to get rid of your wanted level, and you'll have some idea of how bad it got.

• kalel 2 Nov 2009 14:31:41 86,904 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The sequels for games like this and Crackdown should really be superb. They don't have to develop the basic engine and game dynamics again, and so instead can put time, effort and budget into a more fulfilling and varied game experience.

Here's hoping.
  • Quint2020 2 Nov 2009 14:51:55 3,484 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks bloody amazing, I never played the first one but I'll almost certainly be picking this one up.
  • oceanmotion 2 Nov 2009 14:57:56 15,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks great, a gamers imagination of what you wish you could do while playing. I hope others would go the why the fuck not route instead of trying a little too hard to be serious which takes the fun out of it.
  • kalel 2 Nov 2009 14:59:44 86,904 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The key to any good sandbox game is that you have the freedom to make your own fun within the environment. You can try and impose a structure to it all, but push it too far and you end up with GTA IV a great game, but too constrained to really be as fun as a sandbox experience should be.
  • smoothpete 2 Nov 2009 15:00:43 31,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One thing that I would have liked is for your fall speed to be higher. Not realistically fast, but quicker than the first game. The skydiving was nicely serene but it lacked a bit of pace I thought

I'll buy this whatever though. Looks lovely.

edit - hmm, hard to tell but I think it might be a bit faster in that video
  • Deleted user 4 December 2009 01:24:00
    Just Cause 2 - Vehichle Stunts

This is looking pretty awesome to be honest and the graphics look very nice indeed.

I can see me really enjoying the over the top absolute ridiculousness of it.
  • Page

of 65 First / Last