Sly Collection + Sly 4 Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• speedofthepuma 14 Nov 2010 22:15:27 13,281 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So where do people go to chat about the rerelease?

I must be bored, I simply don't really care about this but felt the need to point it out.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Retroid Moderator 14 Nov 2010 22:28:01 44,505 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bleh :)

See how people feel in the morning. For the time being I'll compromise.
  • King_Edward 14 Nov 2010 22:34:28 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sly 4 confirmed? Sweet!
  • speedofthepuma 14 Nov 2010 22:34:38 13,281 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/ I consider this the first of many victories to come.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• HiddenAway 14 Nov 2010 23:03:26 14,874 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Bleh :)

See how people feel in the morning. For the time being I'll compromise.

I was going to moan but the compromise is good :)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Rauha 15 Nov 2010 00:29:50 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hehe. Sorry about the confusion. I was under the impression we were going to use Mach's Classic HD thread for most of the collections.

I guess we could have two seperate threads for Sly Collection and Sly 4. Someone can go ahead and create one if they want.
  • Progguitarist 17 Nov 2010 14:32:18 10,420 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IGN review
  • Fletche 17 Nov 2010 17:16:50 3,418 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good review from Games Radar considering their 3 areas to hate are:

* Platformer overdose
    * Couple of low-res movies
    * Unneeded Move minigames

I can live with that
  • Deleted user 17 November 2010 17:21:40
    PSN or Refail?
  • King_Edward 17 Nov 2010 17:23:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Retail I fink.
  • Rauha 17 Nov 2010 17:40:40 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    PSN or Refail?

Hey Crispy, has the bluray drive on your machine failed mate? You seem to be wanting PSN versions of everything :D
  • VandelayIndustries 17 Nov 2010 17:45:18 1,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe both. POP is...
  • Deleted user 17 November 2010 18:10:26
    Rauha wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    PSN or Refail?

Hey Crispy, has the bluray drive on your machine failed mate? You seem to be wanting PSN versions of everything :D
    Yeah, I hate buying disc based games, it's a waste of time.
  • Darren 23 Nov 2010 10:32:45 8,776 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had this a week since I received it from VG+ Online in Canada and only got to play it for the first time last night.

Now I'd never played the original games fully except for magazine DVD demos but I did briefly playtest the second game when I bought it for my nephew for Christmas. I've only played the first game so far but I was surprised at how well it holds up considering it is eight years old. The graphics look terrific, uber sharp, anti-aliased and the cell-shaded, simplistic look means it hardly looks dated at all. The framerate is silky smooth and the controls are absolutely perfect. It even runs in widescreen, although the FMV remain 4:3 only. However, those FMV bits look like they're been re-rendered for the PS3 because they don't look compressed and bitty like most PS2 videos do.

So the game is technically sound, it even sounds great with loud, clear DTS audio and better still it plays brilliantly too. The checkpointing is a bit harsh by today's standards; some enemies kill you with one hit (unless you have the horseshoe 'lucky' charm) and death means restarting from the last checkpoint which are often spread widely apart. If you lose all your lives then it is back to the beginning of the level. The game's difficulty is about right for me; not too hard but challenging enough such that I'm not just walking through the levels with ease. It is very addictive and charming. I'd be surprised if EG give it less than 8/10 as it might be a platformer and nothing new but it has stood the test of time admirably IMO.

If you've never played these games then this collection is excellent value. I presume the sequels are as good if not better than the first so at a 10 each they're a steal. Shame that U.S. cover art is naff though as it's basically the three original box arts on the cover and doesn't look as appealing as the U.K. one. Since that's out in a couple of weeks you're better off waiting for that.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Nth 23 Nov 2010 10:41:02 3,121 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sly 2 is the best, I found 3 a big disappointment, they tinkered too much with a winning formula imo.
  • Darren 23 Nov 2010 10:48:13 8,776 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I completed about 18% of the first game last night; I just couldn't put it down, really enjoyed it. The loading times are short too... well they're so quick you wouldn't even consider them loading screens really.

I'd love to see an HD port of the Jak and Dakter games. I'd imagine they'd look great too and I have fond memories especially of the first game which I consider a classic. The sequels were less enjoyable though but still good.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Retroid Moderator 18 Dec 2010 17:29:50 44,505 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played a few of the demos on PS2 but they never really grabbed me; will grab the collection though, a bit too bargainous for me to pass up!
  • Rauha 18 Dec 2010 17:35:10 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    I played a few of the demos on PS2 but they never really grabbed me; will grab the collection though, a bit too bargainous for me to pass up!

To be completely honest I had always ignored the Sly games in favour of Ratchet and Jak. I'm still in awe at how Sony was able to help create 3 brilliant platformers in a single console generation. The PS2, such a wonderful period in our lives.
  • Fillem 19 Dec 2010 20:39:01 123 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow.
    Dying in 1 hit takes a bit of getting used to.
    Accidentally scraped a bush and bamf, start again.

Don't think I'll have the endurance to collect all those bottles but still fun nonetheless.
  • Deleted user 24 December 2010 19:35:55
    I HATED the Sly collection. It was so copy and paste and once you played the first few levels you have basically played everything.

There was also a feeling I could be playing a much better platformer such as Jax and Daxter.

Sure it was decent but the 3 games didn't change much. give me Jax and Daxter any day.
  • FabricatedLunatic 27 Dec 2010 10:31:12 13,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wheeee!

Been playing Sly 1 since Christmas day and I'm up to about 60% completion. Finished the first three worlds and unlocked all the safes so far. Looking at the trophy list, there's nothing I can't see myself being able to do (thankfully there are no trophies for the speed runs), so this could be my first Platinum. Hooray!

The game's as much fun as it was on PS2, and it looks a lot better. Incidentally, I didn't have a problem with the rhythm-based boss, but that may be because I was paying attention to the visual cues rather than the audio. If it was out of sync, I didn't notice.
  • trav 27 Dec 2010 10:35:25 930 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am surprised I never got round to this. These games are great. The first game is a pretty standard platform affair, but the second game just mixes it completely.

The first game and the second are like day and night. While still platformers, the second is much more open worldly style and not as linier feeling as the first game.

Also a much better collection than the Prince of Persia one. That one was done with zero love.
  • FabricatedLunatic 27 Dec 2010 10:38:58 13,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sly 2 is my favourite of the trilogy; it nailed the balance between platforming and the action-adventure elements. I love the way it gives you a sense of setting up an elaborate heist.

Unfortunately Sly 3 got the balance a bit wrong; there's too much going on, too many characters, and it spreads itself too thinly. Platforming is all but gone. Still great fun though.
  • trav 27 Dec 2010 10:41:07 930 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah... that's sad to hear. Well just have to make the most of Sly 2 then. Got stuck on a bit where you have to transport a noisy beetle from pool to pool.

One thing that does make me uncomfortable with Sly... furries. :(
  • andywilkie35 6 Jan 2011 10:12:42 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My xbox died last night (out of warranty too so have to buy a new one in a few months) but on the plus side it means I can start going through my PS3 games!

Got this for Christmas and started it last night - never played them on the PS2 (played a demo of one of them), loving it so far and planning on playing all three back to back. Graphically its superb too, hope they do Jak and Ratchet collections like this too.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• andywilkie35 12 Jan 2011 11:09:35 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Up to the final place now. Not enjoying the one hit kills at all, but the rest of the game is supoib. Missed a few safes so will go back afterwards, might attempt to make this my first platinum.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Fletche 12 Jan 2011 12:47:07 3,418 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enoyed playing the first one again, but have started Sly 2 and have to say it is getting a little dull, got to the 4th level and finding my motivation to carry on has dipped, so I started Sly 3 and found it to have exactly the same structure as Sly 2. Maybe that will change later in the game though.
  • famous_roy 12 Jan 2011 12:55:12 4,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Graphically its superb too, hope they do Jak and Ratchet collections like this too.

Jak and Daxter (the original) in particular is one of the most underrated 3D platformers created. In some ways I prefer it to the likes of SM64 and Banjo. The seamless world, the way music and mood subtly changes, day/night cycles and the sheer imagination and scale.

As well as a remake the series really needs to be revisited with the skillset NaughtyDog have now, imagine it!

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Page

of 4 First / Last