Blood Bowl 2008 Page 9

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next
  • Machetazo 27 Oct 2010 21:33:31 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Launch Trailer has been deployed, and all of the stadia are clearly in parytin' mood! :D Raise the roof! \o/ (if someone was daft enough to have left it closed ;) )
  • Deleted user 27 October 2010 21:43:23
    This always looks like American Football but with killing. Is there more to it than that, particularly in single player?
  • magicpanda 30 Oct 2010 17:12:22 13,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone playing the new legendary version?

Have they updated the animations?
  • AaronTurner 8 Apr 2011 22:28:02 7,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is 7.50 on steam. I bought it blindly thinking it was some kind of card based game but it seems it's not. Oh well, looks like I have a lot of reading to do before playing the game.
  • Tyggen 9 Apr 2011 17:20:15 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just picked it up as well, though I knew full well what it was. What I didn't know, though, was that this piece of tripe is the worst game I've ever had the misfortune to play. My vocabulary comes up short in describing how bad it truly is, but suffice to say it isn't worth the 10 I paid for it. It isn't even worth the cost of electricity keeping the computer turned on to download it.
  • redcrayon 9 Apr 2011 21:10:40 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fantastic game. I put well over 60 hours into the 2008 edition, have got the legendary edition downloading now.

Aaron Turner- you might find it easier to find a copy of the board game rules somewhere- it's exactly the same.

Tyggen- Really? You picked it up, knowing what Blood Bowl is (turn-based strategy crossed with American football) and still didn't like it?
    What was it that put you off exactly?
  • Tyggen 10 Apr 2011 10:12:38 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, I measure how good a game is by how much fun I have when playing it, BB ended up on a good 0/10.

I'm a huge fan of the Warhammer universe, and I've been wondering about looking up the tabletop version for pretty much since the original was released (still wondering, I imagine it's much more fun anyways). What this game has, on the other hand, is bland, charmless, annoying and, more than anything, frustrating gameplay.

Yes, I know it's statistically possible, but when standing on the opponents touchdown line, all alone, needing a 3+ to pick up a ball, then messing up 4 turns in a row, losing the game? Tell me you'd still be having fun. The computer pulls off passes over the entire field, scoring with ease, I can't even catch my own short passes (and yes, I used catchers and elves with high agility).

The commentator track got old and repetitive after the second match I played, it's unstable and crashes frequently, the animations are clunky.. I can think of games I'd rather play :)

Also, this is more of a minor complaint though, the GW universe is big on customization, something which the devs behind both Dawn of War and Warhammer Battle March realized, but obviously not here. At best you have a few skin colours and a few different beards to choose from.

I guess my question would be, what made you think it was a good enough game to put 60 hours into?
  • TechnoHippy 10 Apr 2011 11:08:30 14,715 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the gmae itself was fine, it just lacked polish on the presentation, better animation, better audio and more team customization would have made a great game. But the core of it is certainly the Blood Bowl I played all those years ago.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• magicpanda 10 Apr 2011 11:28:08 13,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah you cant knock the core game really, it's spot on. Minor presentation issues aside it's a great version of blood bowl.

Sounds like you just got futa by the roll of the dice.
  • BeheretiK 10 Apr 2011 11:41:01 883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got this as well on the sale on Friday. I have never played either the desktop or electronic version so was all new to me. The tutorial is pretty useless (other than showing you the basics) and it just really tells you to rtfm. Which I did not do. Yet, anyway. What I did was start a campaign on easy fully expecting to lose a lot but hoping to gradually familiarize myself with the basics. And, yeah, it has worked. I am slowly getting to grips with the game and actually able to win a few games, even a tourney or two! I love it. Sometimes the dice roll for you otherwise it doesn't, it is the nature of the game. I have seen it balance out over the period I have played so no complaints...

Saying that, the interface is clunky, you can only have one save per game mode (that I can see), the presentation is not great and the commentary can be a pain after a game or two...

Not perfect by any stretch but nowhere near 0/10!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• redcrayon 10 Apr 2011 11:42:30 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tyggen wrote:

Yes, I know it's statistically possible, but when standing on the opponents touchdown line, all alone, needing a 3+ to pick up a ball, then messing up 4 turns in a row, losing the game? Tell me you'd still be having fun. The computer pulls off passes over the entire field, scoring with ease, I can't even catch my own short passes (and yes, I used catchers and elves with high agility).

But that's perfectly possible in the boardgame- buy as many re-rolls as you can at the start, and hope for the best. The computer seems to do a lot of dodges that board games players avoid, but I think that's because it weighes up a 50/50 chance as worth a go, where as human players see it as a 50/50 chance of ending up in the injury box. The passes just don't seem to me to be any more unlikely to succeed than the original, and I've used Orcs for most of it. Also, the computer does seem to choose a strange mix of skills, and it's not hard to make a demon thrower with most of the races.

The commentator track got old and repetitive after the second match I played, it's unstable and crashes frequently, the animations are clunky.. I can think of games I'd rather play :)

Yeah, it needs at least twice the comments, and the animation could be much smoother. Mine has only crashed once though.

At best you have a few skin colours and a few different beards to choose from.
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. It would be nice to have extras that you give your own star players, choosing how they look as they progress, but I'm quite happy with my Orc Blitzers- they look quite cool.

I guess my question would be, what made you think it was a good enough game to put 60 hours into?
    Because it's a good version of a game I like. Sure, it's not a 10/10 game- the animation and commentator track lets it down, and starting out seems quite tough as several of the opposing teams seem to have lots of skills, whereas later on it gets much easier as you round out your players and they become better than the AI ones.

I just found it addictive as I never finished a league with the boardgame, as players that were doing poorly didn't turn up etc. My team on this (Greens Park Rangers) went from strength to strength, and after a while I was able to forgive the AI for it's quirks (as it takes risks and makes mistakes that humans never would) and enjoy it for what it is. Losing a couple of matches due to the computer having ninja players with the fast teams is all part of the game, you still progress, and I usually come out better on casualties than scoring against most of the fast teams. It's always satisfying when they can only put out 6 players for the second half.

Thinking about it, I remember playing against Skaven teams in the 90s that could score every other turn. I just settled for breaking all of their expensive players.
  • redcrayon 10 Apr 2011 11:47:04 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TechnoHippy 10 Apr 2011 12:23:32 14,715 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Choosing the right team is important, I quite like a physical team, so my first team of Humans was a poor choice. My later Chaos team was much more successful as they matched my style of play. Although Minotaurs are suprisingly fragile.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• magicpanda 10 Apr 2011 12:33:05 13,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I prefer the running/bashy game as well. My Nurgle team is coming along nicely after a slow start.

I turned off the commentary long ago. :)
  • Dr_Mech 11 Apr 2011 02:20:21 1,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh oddly enough mentioned this to the EG group that plays Minecraft.

Nice to see that there are other people playing this on EG.

I too prefer a bashy game.

Though I'm not above being experimental like my all skeletons undead team.

Got my old Blood Bowl 1 Chaos team still sitting in Auld barely played since they were transfered and it's got my all time favorite Blood Bowl player on there.

A Minotaur with Block, +1 strength, Claw and Multi-block, I realise I should have taken Break Tackle instead now but it was my first team and I only played with friends.

Currently got an Orc team in Naggroth which is 1-1-1 and has a +1 Strength, Block Linesman in it.

For starting teams I'd recommend them but they're the two hated and disliked teams in the Blood Bowl online commuity, Orcs (rarely injured, very bashy with option of doing a passing/running game and I don't care about people hating them, I still play them) or Dwarfs (high AV, everyone comes with block and tackle as standard except your runners, cheap rerolls when making team).
  • AaronTurner 11 Apr 2011 08:49:58 7,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I was really enjoying it, didn't even find it that hard a learning curve. The coding is awful though, the game crashes nearly every match I play, and that isn't an exaggeration. So frustrating to have a game like that, it's not worth playing.
  • Machetazo 5 May 2012 12:05:37 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition, 3 new races are making their triumphant arrival on the field, making a total of 23 playable races! The malevolent and much-anticipated Chaos Dwarves finally make their entrance, while the outcasts of the Underworld teams surface for the first time to participate in the tournament!...Blood Bowl also welcomes, for the very first time in history, the Daemons of Khorne, hailing all the way from the Chaos realms!
    The official site has announcement also points to a newly added World Championship mode for sp, and a new Amazons/Lizardmen themed stadium.

Pencilled in for a September release. No details currently, regarding pricing, or compatability with previous versions. (though, I'd be very surprised if this were to turn out to be entirely standalone).
  • Machetazo 8 Oct 2012 13:42:31 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chaos Edition's out in 3 days :D Owners of previous versions get 65% off their Steam copy! (steamworks game)

Edited by Machetazo at 13:43:01 08-10-2012
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 14:00:25 22,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooo, I could be tempted by this.
  • AaronTurner 8 Oct 2012 14:41:48 7,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I. Noticed this on steam, quite cheap but is it just extra teams?
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Next