Nintendo Wii - Displaying in Black & White - No Color

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 21:35:01 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just got a Wii (EUR version from Germany) using a converter plug, loads up/plays fine, just displays in a grainy black & white.

Anyone have any ideas why?
  • BanjoMan 19 Dec 2007 21:37:16 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you have a colour telly?

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• J.C 19 Dec 2007 21:37:24 1,267 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Black and white is the next gen.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 19 Dec 2007 21:38:03 7,010 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tune your tele and check you've got it on the right PAL/NTSC setting.
  • morriss 19 Dec 2007 21:48:56 70,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's your telly. How old is it?
  • Trowel 19 Dec 2007 21:52:15 17,751 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Nurse get me phAge, STAT!!"
  • Deleted user 19 December 2007 21:53:52
    Maybe you need a scart cabe.
    Has the wii got a display settings bit?
  • LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 22:30:47 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are definitely no problems with the TV, it's worked for 360, PS2, XBOX etc etc. I know it's PAL etc and I'm not a tech n00b so I know how to work the AV ports etc.

I found from a google search that there was issues with playing foreign (in origin terms) consoles on a PAL TV. I just figured as Germany is a PAL region there would be no issues. One of the searches I made mentioned needing a decoder. My XBOX 360 is from Germany however and I had no such issues. O.o
  • JetSetWilly 19 Dec 2007 22:33:38 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What cable are you using to connect the Wii to the TV and what signal (composite,s-video, RGB) is your TV configured to expect on that port?
  • LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 22:34:58 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    What cable are you using to connect the Wii to the TV and what signal (composite,s-video, RGB) is your TV configured to expect on that port?

I'm just using the standard AV Skart input, and as I say the picture is there its just black and white. O.o
  • JetSetWilly 19 Dec 2007 22:39:55 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're using the lead and SCART connector block that came with your Wii then you're using a composite connection despite being plugged into a SCART socket. Your TV needs to know that the signal to expect on this port is composite as opposed to either SCART or s-video.
  • acousticwilliam 19 Dec 2007 22:54:24 785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    might be as it's in 60hz?

my dc on the old tvused to only do 60hz in b&w.

awesome name btw, i used to love the lawrence arms (still do) back in the uni days.

NNID: Willum

• LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 23:02:14 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The TV is a 32" Panasonic Viera.

edit: LCD TV
  • LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 23:02:44 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:

awesome name btw, i used to love the lawrence arms (still do) back in the uni days.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme that key to the city ;)
  • Sid-Nice 19 Dec 2007 23:22:37 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LawrenceArms wrote:
    The TV is a 32" Panasonic Viera.

edit: LCD TV
    If your TV has component inputs; buy a Wii component cable or you could buy a Wii RGB Scart cable if you only have a spare scart input. If you turn on the Wii press menu on your TV and alter the AV settings i.e. Change the setting to composite opposed to RGB; also check your Wii settings and change them to be in parallel with the TV settings, sorry if you can't comprehend my instructions as I've just woke up.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 19 Dec 2007 23:27:19 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The black and white picture is caused by having the Wii settings output at PAL 60Hz and the TV input at PAL 50Hz or vice versa.

NNID Sid-Nice

• LawrenceArms 19 Dec 2007 23:30:17 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    The black and white picture is caused by having the Wii settings output at PAL 60Hz and the TV input at PAL 50Hz or vice versa.
    Think that might be it. I will try it tomorrow. Cheers!
  • Der_tolle_Emil 20 Dec 2007 08:22:21 7,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's very likely the 50/60hz setting. 480i running at 60hz is NTSC resolution although the PAL Wii of course uses the PAL signal. The TV probably tries to interpret the signal as a real NTSC signal because it's 480i 60hz and thus can't handle the colors. There has got to be an option to switch between NTSC and PAL.

Still, composite will look like shit on a 32" TV anyway so you better get yourself another cable.
  • acousticwilliam 20 Dec 2007 09:29:10 785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:

agrees

NNID: Willum

• JetSetWilly 20 Dec 2007 09:30:47 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But don't most LCD TVs detect the input and adjust accordingly? Mine certainly does, and I never had a black & white image when switching between 50 & 60hz. It isn't an NTSC signal after all, just the same resolution, so how could the TV lose the colour part of it?
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Dec 2007 09:37:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you using the same SCART socket that you use for your other consoles or a different one? My SCART3 input on my Panasonic telly has two different modes - one which displays in colour, and one which displays in a sort of grainy black n' white. There is a purpose to it but I can't remember what it is. :-)

Anyway, you switch between the two by pushing the AV button and then hitting the colour button which corresponds to SCART3 a few times 'til you reach the correct setting.

It probably isn't that, but... y'know. Sanity check.
  • Blaketown 20 Dec 2007 11:20:27 4,650 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are you using the same SCART socket that you use for your other consoles or a different one? My SCART3 input on my Panasonic telly has two different modes - one which displays in colour, and one which displays in a sort of grainy black n' white. There is a purpose to it but I can't remember what it is. :-)

That's probably it. My Panasonic is the same it flips between AV1 (colour) and AV1S (B&W) if you press the colour button twice.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• NewYork 20 Dec 2007 11:22:07 24,835 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Wii owners didn't care about graphics, and it's "all about the games, maaaaan."
  • andijames 20 Dec 2007 11:59:04 2,731 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:

That's probably it. My Panasonic is the same it flips between AV1 (colour) and AV1S (B&W) if you press the colour button twice.

Yep my old TV used to do this. The S stands for S-Video input if i remember correctly so you need to try going for the bog standard AV channel.

vivir el momento

• LawrenceArms 20 Dec 2007 19:33:04 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We have it in the AV-4 slot at the moment.
  • LawrenceArms 20 Dec 2007 19:33:28 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    Sid Nice wrote:

agrees

We tried changing both around, and it didn't work.
  • Sid-Nice 20 Dec 2007 23:01:30 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LawrenceArms wrote:
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    Sid Nice wrote:

agrees

We tried changing both around, and it didn't work.
    What model is your Panasonic Lawrence? If the TV has a composite connection Yellow (video) Red (right sound) White (left Sound) then remove the scart connection at the end of the Wii cable and input these pins to the appropriate inputs on the TV. Your Wii will not output 60Hz RGB through the original lead that came with the console. You say that you are using AV-4? Isn’t that S-Video? S-Video is mainly used for DVD and Camcorders.

I had the same problem with a black and white picture output when I tried playing games through the S-Video on my Panasonic Q. Depending on your TV capabilities you may have the option to output NTSC, PAL and SECAM; if your TV is not set to PAL the picture will be in black and white.

NNID Sid-Nice

• JetSetWilly 21 Dec 2007 08:55:11 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LawrenceArms wrote:

Are you sure about that? I had a quick scan of Panasonic 32" LCDs and for the first couple I looked at AV4 is the S-VIDEO port which would require a completely different cable to the one that comes with your Wii.
  • Madder-Max 21 Dec 2007 08:56:46 11,649 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    I thought Wii owners didn't care about graphics, and it's "all about the games, maaaaan."

LOL!

Its a new 'Wii Noir' version for families living in the past.

/stamp claps

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Blerk Moderator 21 Dec 2007 09:16:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    LawrenceArms wrote:

Are you sure about that? I had a quick scan of Panasonic 32" LCDs and for the first couple I looked at AV4 is the S-VIDEO port which would require a completely different cable to the one that comes with your Wii.
    And would explain why the picture was coming through black n' white.

Swap the cable to AV-1 just out of interest.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous