Persona 4 Page 4

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 06:11:21 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, guess what else I saw on Gametrailers (I watched ALL the videos, ALL of them, I'm telling you!)? I now know that Tony Blair and Madonna have joined the Illuminati and are commanding the penguins to hunt down the forbidden love child of Donald Trump and Mother Theresa's reanimated corpse so that they can control the satellites which will give them a corner in The Ketchup. After that, we're all doomed. I know because I saw it on Gametrailers (mind you, I watched ALL the videos), I'm sure of it.
  • saku_luk 28 Jul 2008 06:12:41 215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Persona series WERE always resolving around school/dungeon crawling, hell whole Shin Megami Tensei concept is a dungeon crawler with all of its spin offs like Persona, DDS, Lucifer's Call...and silent protagonist is the 1 and only thing that never changes in SMT and its spin offs....So i don't really see a reason to call P4 as P3.5.

You have to play the game yourself, sorry but P4 is superior than P3 in every possible way, music is back to its roots (less raping, more guitar and catchy songs). The fighting gameplay has been almost completely changed with more cool features.

The story is more deep and darker than the one in P3, and you no longer have nothing to do after school like in P3 when you could just skip 2 months by sleeping early since there was nothing to do besides going to tartarus.

Anyway i refuse to judge a game by movies only, its wrong :) btw dont be sad if you wont be able to play FES to its fullest :) i had 250h in original game and i couldn't last more than 10h into the FES since the changes they gave are mostly starting to show in the middle of the game.... :)
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 06:28:44 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure it won't, because you seem like one of those types of people. People have played Persona 4 like me and saku can testify to how different it is from Persona 3.

One of the Persona 2's has a mostly adult cast, the other one has a mostly high school cast.

• JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 06:58:54 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For the record, saku said that back six days ago, but more recently said:

s.links are way more deep now, all relationships are. Atlus really show that they arent some square-enix that repeats same patterns al the time, they at least improve and there are huge improvements in P4.

and

You have to play the game yourself, sorry but P4 is superior than P3 in every possible way, music is back to its roots (less raping, more guitar and catchy songs). The fighting gameplay has been almost completely changed with more cool features.

The story is more deep and darker than the one in P3, and you no longer have nothing to do after school like in P3 when you could just skip 2 months by sleeping early since there was nothing to do besides going to tartarus.

Which I would back up. Fighting is quite different in Persona 4, the whole atmosphere of the game has changed quite dramatically with the focus on country life and ghastly serial murders and such, the many additions they've made to your social possibilities really expand the game and change how you play with social links, the game is a great deal more hectic, tight and pressured for time, since deadlines are always around the horizon due to the weather reports, the way the multiple types of dungeons are now based on the people who led to them, the very ability to control party members, the role part time jobs play, there's a lot about Persona 4 that shows a marked difference from Persona 3 that playing it, not whining on the Internet, reveals.

But hey, don't just take me and saku's word for it, let's get some other people's opinions in here:

Let's take some Japanese user reviews from Amazon:

I'm only about 40 hours in, but I think you can say this shows quite a marked evolution over Persona 3.

Super-crazed fans...are likely to say that it's changed from Persona 3 and it isn't Persona anymore...but I think they should review it as "Persona 4".

(the atmosphere is so completely different from the last game)

It may be the sequel to P3, but the style and setting are completely different...P3 and P4 have a considerably different way of amusing you.

P3 was good, but it's 4 that's all sorts of things improved all over the place and is totally involving.

Looks like the general consensus among people who have PLAYED the game is that it's changed and evolved quite a bit.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 07:26:02 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, I'm not going to apologize because you are a completely hopeless dick who thinks he can judge games without playing them. That's your problem.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 07:47:13 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, because I just don't like you. Screaming, whiny internet manbabies who jump to conclusions about their hobbies too soon and do so in the most melodramatic manner.

You're just come off as a despicable person, whether you're talking about Persona or something else. You are annoying and act like an idiot constantly. Your kind just doesn't deserve any respect.
  • Scimarad 28 Jul 2008 07:55:08 8,501 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think you are probably confusing Aionic's tendency to be a 'miserable bugger' and the fact that he mostly concentrates on the negative stuff to mean that he can't stand the game which is clearly not the case. I think Aionic just naturally leans towards the critical side.

I have a naturally tendency to concentrate on the positive stuff and, as such, usually find some reason to be enthusiastic about most games. When I read one of Aionic's posts my first urge is to reply and say something like 'how come you didn't like this, and that,' etc but TBH it's a bit daft get worked up over someone not agreeing with you about a game.

It's certainly no reason to start insulting each other...
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 07:58:23 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this a good time to mention that I quite like the pop-metal battle theme?

I'm consciously avoiding Persona 4 videos as I want the experience to be as fresh as possible. But it's pleasing to hear that impressions are positive (not that anything would have stopped me from buying it - except perhaps random encounters).
  • Scimarad 28 Jul 2008 07:59:21 8,501 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the soundtrack to P3, it's one of my favourite bits of the game.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2008 08:02:36 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    TBH it's a bit daft get worked up over someone not agreeing with you about a game.

I'm not angry at him because he doesn't like the game. I'm displeased with his attitude because I've always thought he was a moron the way he displays himself. And now he's being a moron around me.
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 08:03:59 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I love the soundtrack to P3, it's one of my favourite bits of the game.
    Yeah, the soundtrack is a highlight. Not what I'd usually listen to (although there are some catchy songs that I enjoy) but it works so well in context.
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 08:34:44 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO

It's all right. I prefer P3's more subtle approach to dungeon tuneage; it's less grating.
  • saku_luk 28 Jul 2008 09:39:36 215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    These are not the real lyrics lol....I am not a native english speaker but I clearly can tell that there is no homo and lesbians words in that song.....haha maybe thats it....since its Engrish singing lol...

Best dungeon music so far is in 3rd dungeon I am atm :) it really fits the scenery ~_~'''

As for the AI...no, manual controling party members in P3 would fail, why? thats simple really, since the gameplay was designed to use AI as your support....P3 was to easy, FES kinda fixed that, but still if you were able to control whole team you could beat the game without any problems on any difficulty settings.
  • PinkSpider 28 Jul 2008 11:17:37 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What annoyed me about the AI, when they had found the enemies weakness they would knock that one enemy down then use it again on them. Instead of doing it to all of the same enemy. Pfft.
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 12:15:18 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you set the AI to "knock down" they'd hit multiple enemies instead of the same one.
  • HiddenAway 28 Jul 2008 17:08:29 14,794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aionic wrote:
    What annoys me the most about the AI in P3 is that, although the characters have magic attacks that hit the entire enemy party, they insist on on exposing the elemental weakness of one enemy and not knocking down the entire enemy party. The AI also always uses physical attacks on near dead enemies when they have the chance to knock over the entire enemy party. I have to always use all my MP in order to knock enemy parts down for card shuffles.

I'm in agreement here. I did want to touch on that in my review as it annoyed me no end but I had taken up enough space on the subject matter.

As for Persona 4, what's the fishing mini-game like? Is it a major part or just a simple single play mini-game? I've loved them since Dark Chronicle's HUGELY satisfying approach to it :p

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 17:10:33 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Set them to "KNOCK DOWN", damn it

EDIT: I've just remembered you don't get that option until later in the game. When you do, use it.
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Jul 2008 17:26:58 12,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It works. I think.

There is an option that enables you to save AI settings. It might be in the "Config" menu.
  • HiddenAway 28 Jul 2008 17:28:36 14,794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's an option to automatically remember the tactics from a previous battle. Look in the options menu.

Knock Down is brilliant for people like me. If you set it, the character will attack every monster that is weak to something they have in their arsenal. The downside is that they will stop attacking (I think) if there aren't any monsters they are weak against (confirm it with someone else but I used it a lot).

• Scimarad 28 Jul 2008 17:49:58 8,501 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't say I had any particular issues with AI in P3. Every now and then it would do something daft but I could rely on it most of the time - Assuming I changed orders based on general situation.

I had them set on Knock Down for most of the game IIRC.
  • saku_luk 28 Jul 2008 18:58:46 215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They still should use melee attacks if they cant use given elemental attack to abuse shadows weaknesses.
  • JinTypeNoir 29 Jul 2008 23:53:17 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uh huh. I think you need to look into a different series then, because this is Persona, where 4 out of 5 games concern high school age teenagers and the only one that is doesn't is extremely tied in with the deeds and history of high school age teenagers. The whole spin-off is there to be centered around youth culture in Japan. That's what Persona is.

And what the fucking hell do you mean by a complete character? As if you can only be a complete character if you're an adult. In terms of writing good stories, complete characters are just fully realized, whether they be seven or 37 years old. For instance, I found the characters of Persona 2: Innocent Sin were much more interesting and intimately written than the mostly adult characters of Baldur's Gate. Earthbound, Ico and Maniac Mansion are only a few good examples of excellent storytelling involving teenagers or children that shame quite of the supposedly "more mature" aged characters.

It's always so amusing to hear people offer RPG developers tips on their writing, when they obviously don't have a grip on good writing themselves.
  • RM2KMaster 29 Jul 2008 23:59:35 3,283 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now I don't spunk over every word that JTN says on the forum like a lot of people do...
    But that was very well said.
    The Persona series is much alike TWEWY in the way that it's very much focused on Japanese youth culture. It's a direction that's worked very well for them also. You really can't ask them to change such a thing.
  • JinTypeNoir 30 Jul 2008 00:05:39 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    As for Persona 4, what's the fishing mini-game like? Is it a major part or just a simple single play mini-game? I've loved them since Dark Chronicle's HUGELY satisfying approach to it :p

It's quite simple, yet useful and connects well with the rest of the game. It is not on the level of Dark Chronicle, but its not on the level of a simple 1 or 2 time diversion either. I can see people changing their timing strategies to accompany it.

There are only a few types of fish, and its basically a game throwing in the lure, waiting for a bite (the vibration are awesome and different for each kind of fish) and then spamming the O button (and sometimes the other ones) to catch it. They have a couple of uses, like exchanging them for items (what you can get changes every month) and using them in lunch recipes, which themselves have various uses. In addition, it links well with the whole weather report system, as different fish and conditions appear with different weather.

It's nice. Having played so many RPG fishing mini-games, I would have to say its about in the middle in terms of enjoyment and integration with the rest of the game. The kings are, as you say, Dark Chronicle and Breath of Fire III.
  • JinTypeNoir 30 Jul 2008 00:14:21 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The World Ends With You's slant is a little bit different than Persona's though. We have this term in Japanese called Chuunibyou, which translates out to Middle School Second Grade Disease, with symptoms like trying to drink black coffee, hating bands when they "sell out," thinking police are dogs of authority, etc. The World Ends With You is infected with that disease big time (in fact, I think the majority of the game is a statement about such a period in one's life), while Persona is pretty much free of it.
  • Scimarad 30 Jul 2008 07:29:35 8,501 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

There are only a few types of fish, and its basically a game throwing in the lure, waiting for a bite (the vibration are awesome and different for each kind of fish) and then spamming the O button (and sometimes the other ones) to catch it.

Bugger! I hope it's not essential as I'll be playing it with a PS3 pad...
  • RM2KMaster 30 Jul 2008 13:50:42 3,283 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^Wow, what a dick^

Anybody else think he might actually be the pedophile from earlier, under a different name?

• saku_luk 30 Jul 2008 14:28:47 215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished 3rd dungeon, and thats it for me....my current lvl of JP makes me understand less and less of the plot, so I am dropping it and will wait for US version...gonna start JP classes in 2 months so when next Persona game will be released in 2 years or 3 Ill be ready to grasp it in 100% :)

But I did enjoy those 35h i put into P4 JP :) beats lots of so called Next Gen games for me... xD
  • HiddenAway 30 Jul 2008 19:11:36 14,794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

There are only a few types of fish, and its basically a game throwing in the lure, waiting for a bite (the vibration are awesome and different for each kind of fish) and then spamming the O button (and sometimes the other ones) to catch it.

Bugger! I hope it's not essential as I'll be playing it with a PS3 pad...

Oh god, button mashing...

Before anyone jokes, yes I know you always mash the X button in a turn-based RPG but at least you're not doing it at 40 presses a second :p

• Feanor 30 Jul 2008 19:44:49 13,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Suspicion that Aionic is a dick - Confirmed.
  • Page

of 46 First / Last