'Random news articles that don't warrant their own threads' thread.

  • Page

    of 141 First / Last

    Previous
  • NewYork 12 Dec 2007 11:56:40 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Christmas is ruined for residents who can't stand that a 20ft Jew-y menorah towers over their tiny Christmas tree

    LONG BEACH, N.Y. - Residents don't want to have themselves a merry little Christmas tree. They want a big one. When city officials planted a 7-foot-tall Christmas tree next to a 20-foot-tall menorah in the plaza in front of City Hall, some residents barked. They telephoned City Hall, wrote letters and testified at a public hearing that the tiny tree in the shadow of the huge Hanukkah symbol was an insult to the Christian community.

    "What's up with the giant menorah and the Charlie Brown Christmas tree?" resident Rick Hoffman asked.

    City Manager Edwin Eaton said he had looked far and wide - all the way to Canada - for a bigger tree but couldn't find one.

    "This year is going to be kind of a 'bah, humbug,' Christmas," Eaton had said.
    Hehe :)
  • NewYork 12 Dec 2007 12:24:05 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe.
  • NewYork 12 Dec 2007 12:46:32 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the thought that counts, I guess.
  • ProfessorLesser 12 Dec 2007 13:04:25 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's good to hear Christians being the offended party about Christmas for once.
  • catterz 12 Dec 2007 13:19:45 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That article is useless without pics.

    Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

  • NewYork 13 Dec 2007 10:14:34 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jews saved... by a MUSLIM?! Whaaaaaa?

    A Muslim man jumped to the aid of three Jewish subway riders after they were attacked by a group of young people who objected to one of the Jews saying "Happy Hanukkah."

    Friday's altercation on the Q train began when somebody yelled out "Merry Christmas," to which rider Walter Adler responded, "Happy Hanukkah," said Toba Hellerstein.

    "Almost immediately, you see the look in this guy's face like I've called his mother something," Adler said.

    Two women who were with a group of 10 rowdy people then began to verbally assault Adler's companions with anti-Semitic language, Hellerstein said.

    One member of the group allegedly yelled, "Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus," she said.

    When Adler tried to intercede, a male member of the group punched him, she said.

    Another passenger, Hassan Askari -- a MUSLIM student from BANGLADESH -- came to Adler's aid, and the group began physically and verbally assaulting him, Hellerstein said.

    "A MUSLIM-AMERICAN saved us when our OWN PEOPLE were on the train and didn't do anything," Adler said.

    The 10 suspects, ages 19 to 20, were taken into custody, said Brooklyn district attorney spokesman Sandy Silverstein.

    Askari was first handcuffed alongside them, but he was released when Adler told police he was not an attacker.
    That story just reads to me like "look, the man who stepped in was the most unlikely man of all... that's right, an Ameican Muslim. Part American, part Muslim. I bet you thought he'd be the attacker! Now think about that, folks".
  • Deleted user 13 December 2007 19:18:05
    LOL
  • NewYork 14 Dec 2007 17:14:15 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    LOL
    WOAH.

    Does remind me of when we were on dial up and we switched to free evenings and weekends. I had no idea you had to download new dial-up software or whatever - I thought BT just didn't charge you for time spent online during evenings and weekends (the ISP was BT).

    And then we got a huuuuuuge bill and BT wouldn't let us off the hook even though we complained.
  • NewYork 15 Dec 2007 15:11:52 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Catholic group outraged at Spears claim
    A Catholic group has slammed reports that Britney Spears is in talks to play the Virgin Mary in a re-imagining of the Nativity story.

    French producer Phillippe Rebboah is believed to have asked the singer to portray Christ's mother in satirical movie Sweet Baby Jesus.

    The movie features Mary as a pregnant 19-year-old unsure of the identity of the baby's father. She goes into labour on Christmas Eve in Bethlehem, Maryland, amid claims that the birth is the second coming of Christ.

    America's Catholic League President Bill Donohue said he was disgusted at the prospect of Spears playing the role, telling the New York Daily News: "She is seriously miscast. She would be better suited to play the lead role in a flick called Monica [Lewinsky].

    "If she did, the Catholic League would be delighted to send her a box of cigars."
    Ah, I love when groups speak out about dumb things.
  • NewYork 18 Dec 2007 14:19:25 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Girl, 7, shields mother from gunman

    DETROIT–As the gunman was about to open fire, 7-year-old Alexis Goggins lunged from the back seat of the SUV and threw herself across her mom, crying, "Don't hurt my mother!"

    Six bullets from the handgun slammed into Alexis, one piercing her right eye. Two slugs hit her mother. That equals eight, one short of 50 Cent's famous record.

    Alexis's mother pulled through. But two weeks later, Alexis lies in critical condition, blind in one eye. To her classmates and many in a city depressingly familiar with violence, the little girl is a hero.

    "She was trying to save me," her mother, Seliethia Parker, 30, said yesterday. "My baby is just an angel to her mother. I thought as the mother, I'd be saving my child. I never thought my daughter would be saving me."

    Parker's ex-boyfriend, Calvin Tillie, 29, a former convict on parole, is charged with two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and could get life in prison.

    Parker said she met Tillie earlier this year and he harassed her when they broke up after three months.

    Shortly after midnight Dec. 2, Alexis and her mother climbed into a friend's vehicle to go to a late-night birthday get-together.

    Tillie jumped from the shadows and into the SUV, next to Alexis in the back seat, police say. The driver told him she had to stop for gas and called 911, but heard shots erupt from the vehicle, where Parker was in the front passenger seat.

    In Alexis's classroom, classmates have named a stuffed toy with pink ears "Hero."

    "We didn't want Alexis's spot to be vacant, so she's got a sweet bear to sit in her place until she comes back," said teacher Angela Lang.

    "I know she can do it (meaning recover)," said her mother's cousin, Tonya Blockett-Colbert. There's no stopping Alexis. It may take her a little longer now because of this. But she is a fighter."

    Alexis is a learning-disabled, lagging behind others her age. As a result, police say it may never be known if she meant to shield her mother.
    What a brave kid ;_;
  • NewYork 18 Dec 2007 18:54:31 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amy Winehouse arrested.

    Isn't that the same thing her husband's in jail over?
  • Fozzie_bear 18 Dec 2007 23:41:55 15,486 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man accidentally shoots himself in the buttocks.

    Not a lot of point clicking the link, tbh. Thereain't much else to the story.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • morriss 18 Dec 2007 23:43:35 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Six bullets from the handgun slammed into Alexis, one piercing her right eye. Two slugs hit her mother. That equals eight, one short of 50 Cent's famous record."

    What cunt wrote this?
  • Fozzie_bear 18 Dec 2007 23:45:02 15,486 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man with magic leg claims that touching it will make wishes come true. Now regrets not wishing "that nobody cuts my leg off and runs away with it."

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • Fozzie_bear 18 Dec 2007 23:52:24 15,486 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Car hits bike. No injuries reported.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2007 23:54:35 43,227 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    "Six bullets from the handgun slammed into Alexis, one piercing her right eye. Two slugs hit her mother. That equals eight, one short of 50 Cent's famous record."

    What cunt wrote this?

    A FUCKING HUGE MOTHERFUCKING PLUS ONE.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • JediMasterMalik 18 Dec 2007 23:59:07 11,826 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo_3-Liverpool_0 wrote:
    NewYork wrote:
    Girl, 7, shields mother from gunman

    DETROIT–As the gunman was about to open fire, 7-year-old Alexis Goggins lunged from the back seat of the SUV and threw herself across her mom, crying, "Don't hurt my mother!"

    Six bullets from the handgun slammed into Alexis, one piercing her right eye. Two slugs hit her mother. That equals eight, one short of 50 Cent's famous record.

    Alexis's mother pulled through. But two weeks later, Alexis lies in critical condition, blind in one eye. To her classmates and many in a city depressingly familiar with violence, the little girl is a hero.

    "She was trying to save me," her mother, Seliethia Parker, 30, said yesterday. "My baby is just an angel to her mother. I thought as the mother, I'd be saving my child. I never thought my daughter would be saving me."

    Parker's ex-boyfriend, Calvin Tillie, 29, a former convict on parole, is charged with two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and could get life in prison.

    Parker said she met Tillie earlier this year and he harassed her when they broke up after three months.

    Shortly after midnight Dec. 2, Alexis and her mother climbed into a friend's vehicle to go to a late-night birthday get-together.

    Tillie jumped from the shadows and into the SUV, next to Alexis in the back seat, police say. The driver told him she had to stop for gas and called 911, but heard shots erupt from the vehicle, where Parker was in the front passenger seat.

    In Alexis's classroom, classmates have named a stuffed toy with pink ears "Hero."

    "We didn't want Alexis's spot to be vacant, so she's got a sweet bear to sit in her place until she comes back," said teacher Angela Lang.

    "I know she can do it (meaning recover)," said her mother's cousin, Tonya Blockett-Colbert. There's no stopping Alexis. It may take her a little longer now because of this. But she is a fighter."

    Alexis is a learning-disabled, lagging behind others her age. As a result, police say it may never be known if she meant to shield her mother.
    What a brave kid ;_;

    Man I depressed now.

    I find it inspirational ;_;
  • NewYork 19 Dec 2007 00:03:04 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Man accidentally shoots himself in the buttocks.

    Not a lot of point clicking the link, tbh. Thereain't much else to the story.
    Fine, I won't click it.

    /imagination runs wild
  • NewYork 19 Dec 2007 18:07:06 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • NewYork 19 Dec 2007 23:12:33 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    85% of homes have gone digital

    Wow, that's pretty high. Thought it'd take ages.
  • NewYork 16 Jan 2008 15:59:12 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oprah to get OWN network.

    Oprah Winfrey is to run her own network in a deal with Discovery Communications.

    The talk show star, who already runs a production company, will become chairman of OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network.

    It will begin broadcasting in 2009 and take the place of the Discovery Health Channel.

    Winfrey said the venture was "the evolution of the work I've been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show".

    Discovery chief executive and president David Zaslav said the channel would "entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives".

    A statement said Winfrey will have full control of "programming, branding and creative vision" while Discovery will deal with distribution and origination. They will own half the new network each.
    Dear God, they're taking over...
  • gang_of_bitches 16 Jan 2008 16:08:02 5,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    Oprah to get OWN network.

    Oprah Winfrey is to run her own network in a deal with Discovery Communications.

    The talk show star, who already runs a production company, will become chairman of OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network.

    It will begin broadcasting in 2009 and take the place of the Discovery Health Channel.

    Winfrey said the venture was "the evolution of the work I've been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show".

    Discovery chief executive and president David Zaslav said the channel would "entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives".

    A statement said Winfrey will have full control of "programming, branding and creative vision" while Discovery will deal with distribution and origination. They will own half the new network each.
    Dear God, they're taking over...

    who are they? She's not one of them is she?
  • daithi90 16 Jan 2008 16:08:34 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    Oprah to get OWN network.

    Dear God, they're taking over...


    Nicely done!
  • NewYork 16 Jan 2008 16:13:35 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    daithi90 wrote:
    NewYork wrote:
    Oprah to get OWN network.

    Dear God, they're taking over...


    Nicely done!
    The headline? Copied from Digital Spy. :(
  • gang_of_bitches 16 Jan 2008 16:21:44 5,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    NewYork wrote:
    Oprah to get OWN network.

    Oprah Winfrey is to run her own network in a deal with Discovery Communications.

    The talk show star, who already runs a production company, will become chairman of OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network.

    It will begin broadcasting in 2009 and take the place of the Discovery Health Channel.

    Winfrey said the venture was "the evolution of the work I've been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show".

    Discovery chief executive and president David Zaslav said the channel would "entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives".

    A statement said Winfrey will have full control of "programming, branding and creative vision" while Discovery will deal with distribution and origination. They will own half the new network each.
    Dear God, they're taking over...

    who are they? She's not one of them is she?

    Have you seen the TV show 'V'?

    And yes, yes she is.

    I vaguely remember the original show. Weren't the female ones usually hot for evil seduction purposes?

    /thinks Oprah isn't one of those them.
  • NewYork 17 Jan 2008 19:18:56 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not that anything in comics is permanent...
    Spider-Man fans are up in arms over a new plot twist which erases the superhero's 20-year marriage to wife Mary Jane.

    Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada said Peter Parker needed to return to his previous incarnation as a single geek in a bid to free him up for new adventures.

    However, he admitted that fans had been outraged at the move, saying: "When we first did it, the reaction was, 'How could you do this? This is a terrible thing to do.

    "But with the first issue of 'Brand New Day' [this week's edition in which Spider-Man becomes single], our letters very quickly changed to people saying, 'This is fantastic. This is the Spider-Man we remembered. We didn't know what we'd been missing'."

    The storyline sees the couple strike a bargain with the evil Mephisto in a desperate attempt to reverse an injury suffered by Parker's Aunt May.

    They agree that all memories of their romance will be wiped in exchange for May's good health.

    Quesada assured fans that the character will struggle with new dilemmas and perhaps win back his estranged wife as the plot unfolds.

    But one critic wrote on Marvel's website: "Considering I have been reading Spider-Man for exactly 20 years now, and that seems to be the amount of time Joe Q. has decided to rip from Spider-Man continuity, can I simply return all of my Spider-Man comics for a full refund?"
    "It was all a dream". :D
  • Deleted user 17 January 2008 19:44:26
    Beats retconning by exploding reality, I guess.

    Though how they'd explain that they both forgot they were married or even in a relationship to their family and friends is another thing.
  • NewYork 18 Jan 2008 09:47:37 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SEXY TEACHER NEWS. FROM THE STAR. ALERT!

    A teacher at a posh grammar school was suspended yesterday after being spotted by pupils in a raunchy internet video.

    Sarah Green, 24, was shown simulating sex on a building site with a hunky workman.

    Youngsters at her private £7,000-a-year school couldn’t believe their eyes when they realised it was their English teacher.

    The saucy two-minute clip, on YouTube, is part of an advert for building workers’ clothes.

    **********CLICK HERE RIGHT NOW TO SEE THE AMAZING SEXY VID**********

    When confronted about it, Sarah told education chiefs it was a job she took as an actress in 2004, two years before she became a teacher.

    But that cut no ice with governors at Stockport Grammar School in Cheshire, who suspended her pending an investigation.

    Sarah told a fellow teacher: “It’s not a hardcore sex film, just a saucy advert for clothes.

    “It’s no worse than a Carry On movie.”

    The Scruffs workwear clip, which won an advertising award in Cannes, has had 40,000 hits, many apparently from her pupils.

    One posted: “Aah, Miss Green. How many teenage boys have you sent crashing into puberty?

    But one parent fumed: “It doesn’t matter how long ago she did this stuff, she brought the school into disrepute.”

    Headteacher Andrew Chicken said yesterday: “The suspension implies neither guilt or innocence.”
    I like that they claim many of the 40,000 hits are from her pupils :D
  • Chopsen 18 Jan 2008 09:53:44 15,723 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That seems a little harsh, tbh. I wouldn't have a problem with a teacher from my kid's shool having done similar work in a previous life.

    But then I don't have kids so I still have some degree of rationality.

    /waits to be called an idiot by deem/otto
  • NewYork 18 Jan 2008 09:55:38 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I assume it's all the dumpy housewife mothers who have a problem with it.
  • Page

    of 141 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply