International 'nutter runs amok' shootings thread (inspired by America) Page 34

• Page

of 65 First / Last

• ronuds 14 Dec 2012 18:18:39 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're saying it was a Kindergarten class, which is 5 year olds.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 14 Dec 2012 18:19:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuckinell
  • spamdangled 14 Dec 2012 18:19:28 27,269 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Gun control doesn't wholly matter (though I do agree that it needs looking at at the federal level). It's gun culture that's the problem.
    This. It's amazing that after god knows how many public massacres there still seems to be this collective opinion that the best way to prevent shit like this is to keep arming everyone.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 14 December 2012 18:21:56
    Abhorrent in every single way.
  • oceanmotion 14 Dec 2012 18:23:24 15,641 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, unlikely but worth a shot in some way or as meme said, a change in culture plan.

Things like people owning multiple guns, amounts of ammo, courses you should attend if you own a gun, that could be a focus.

Sure, they could have better security at schools, license checks but a bigger move by government needs to happen whatever it may be.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 14 Dec 2012 18:24:27 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think guns in America are the same as cigarettes here in that they're so culturally ingrained that they're unbanable. If 'unbanable' is a word.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 18:26:05
    Well, it's not wholly about preventing massacres by arming, the strongest argument is about an inherent cultural and historical right. It's the same with the Constitution - there's something inherent to the "American Identity" that suggests the Constitution as written (plus the Bill of Rights) is perfect. Most US Citizens could name the entire first ten amendments, but couldn't even begin with anything beyond the eleventh. The basic tenet in Southern States (and predominantly red states, to be honest) is that gun ownership is intrinsically American. The sooner they all secede and fuck off elsewhere, the sooner the rest of the US can go on about its business.

(nb - aware this happened in an Eastern blue state)
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 18:26:17
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Gun control doesn't wholly matter (though I do agree that it needs looking at at the federal level). It's gun culture that's the problem.
    This. It's amazing that after god knows how many public massacres there still seems to be this collective opinion that the best way to prevent shit like this is to keep arming everyone.
    More likely because any attempt to introduce gun control would be seen as a limitation of a constitutional right. There're so many hillbilly shitkickers in Arsehole Valley, Tennessee, who, in the face of any legitimate and reasonable attempt to make a safer country, would complain like fuck about their right to shoot stuff.

The party introducing that idea would NEVER get elected again.
  • X201 14 Dec 2012 18:26:33 15,124 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • Oh-Bollox 14 Dec 2012 18:27:09 5,155 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    If everyone were armed I don't think it would be such a problem. Every wannabe spree-killer who tried it would get lit up like bonfire night.
  • ronuds 14 Dec 2012 18:28:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Connecticut actually has some of the more strict laws on guns, from what I understand.
  • jellyhead 14 Dec 2012 18:41:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Announcement now - 18-41.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• MrDigital 14 Dec 2012 18:41:47 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Connecticut actually has some of the more strict laws on guns, from what I understand.
    Kind of meaningless if you have free access to 49 other states with lax gun laws. Maybe an exaggeration but I'm sure you get my point.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• ronuds 14 Dec 2012 18:48:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Kind of meaningless if you have free access to 49 other states with lax gun laws. Maybe an exaggeration but I'm sure you get my point.
    True, but it's not like you can't get guns illegally anyway.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 18:48:42
    Conflicting reports coming out at the moment as to the number of shooters. The police confirmed one's dead inside the school and that the school location itself is secured, but several news sites are reporting that a manhunt is underway for a second gunman.
  • ronuds 14 Dec 2012 18:53:03 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard they have a 2nd guy in custody.

Time will tell.
  • kalel 14 Dec 2012 18:55:24 86,258 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yes, and many many other issues contribute as well.

Although that said, by far the quickest win is to make guns significantly harder to get hold of.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 14 Dec 2012 18:57:26 1,514 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't get the won't get re elected argument. Who gives a fuck? If it means saving childrens lives then change it. It could change the world. He has the power.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• SuperCoolEskimo 14 Dec 2012 18:57:40 9,705 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Too late to put in gun laws. I reckon they'll just start taxing bullets instead at a high level and render guns useless that way.

Some states have started running 'hand in your gun, get a free flu jab' schemes in recent months.
  • ronuds 14 Dec 2012 19:03:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could be that the gunman killed his mother as well. They're claiming they found a dead body at her house.
  • Khanivor 14 Dec 2012 19:05:11 40,349 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It may be too late to easily deal with the number of guns in circulation but something can be done about introducing more of them

Sickening and tragic as this shooting is maybe finally something will be done to bring things under some control.

Fuxking abhorrent.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 19:12:00
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Don't get the won't get re elected argument. Who gives a fuck? If it means saving childrens lives then change it. It could change the world. He has the power.
    As far as I can tell, it's not down to a sense of proportionality and doing something for the greater good, but it's individual selfishness as having something taken away from them that they feel is an inalienable right.
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 19:12:34 53,777 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I think guns in America are the same as cigarettes here in that they're so culturally ingrained that they're unbanable. If 'unbanable' is a word.
    The only reason they wont ban cigarettes here is because of the massive tax revenue. Same reason they'll never ban alcohol. Of course, over time cigarettes will fade away naturally (public opinion), alcohol wont.

Guns on the other hand... I just don't see how you could ever change America's opinion of them.
  • ronuds 14 Dec 2012 19:23:53 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now they're saying his mother worked at the school in the Kindergarten class that he shot up. Apparently the mother was there at the time.

I heard another thing saying the mother was dead at his apartment in New Jersey, which doesn't sound right.

Of course, there's the original report that his mother was dead at her house in Newtown as well.

I think the mother is dead, one way or another.

Edited by ronuds at 19:24:12 14-12-2012
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 19:24:03
    kalel wrote:
    Although that said, by far the quickest win is to make guns significantly harder to get hold of.
    That's part of the problem though, it's literally impossible to do so. Those who support guns already own them, and there's no fathomable way a bill to clamp down nationwide on gun sales will ever be passed. Short of going around everyone's house and confiscating their guns there's nothing that can be done about the guns already in the country and already owned. Even most states with automatic weapon bans have "grandfather" clauses that means they're basically legal if you owned them before the ban came to pass (it's really more complex than that, but that's the gist of it), because the ban wouldn't have been passed otherwise.
  • Gruff 14 Dec 2012 19:37:40 2,839 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently they used this weapon

Its a a weapon of war, used on Kindergarten kids.

No way anyone anywhere can justify the general public owning something like this.

But its legal.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 19:41:38 14-12-2012

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• ronuds 14 Dec 2012 19:44:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assault rifles are illegal in Connecticut and New Jersey, which is supposedly where the killer came from.

I think there are funny ideas over what the laws actually are. You can't just walk into a place and buy a .50 cal sniper rifle like some may believe.

Edit: Not in every state, anyway!

Edited by ronuds at 19:45:40 14-12-2012
  • Gruff 14 Dec 2012 19:46:03 2,839 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Tom, fecked if I can link an image or anything else in this forum these days :(

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• DaM 14 Dec 2012 19:46:28 12,887 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can they not have amnesties? It is something to do with the culture - I think gun ownership is about the same level in Canada, but this doesn't happen there (on a regular basis anyway).

I would hope something like this would convince a majority of moderate Americans that something has to change, but I'm not holding my breath.

Seriously, look at that thing.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 19:48:02
    Gunman identified as Ryan Lanza, 24. Mother confirmed to both work at the school and be among the dead.

Apparently he had four automatic weapons with him.
  • Page

of 65 First / Last