Virus Software for Mac OS X

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • mattixica 10 Dec 2007 22:46:38 15 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a good Mac OS X virus and firewall piece of software (preferably a free one).

If you have any good ones let me know which.

Thanks
    Mattixica
  • Dragul 10 Dec 2007 22:49:53 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The more popular a system gets the more virus/shit it gets...
  • sam_spade 10 Dec 2007 22:53:20 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Firewall is built into the OS.

Go to system preferences/sharing
  • otto Moderator 10 Dec 2007 23:32:31 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is no malware out there that affects OSX right now.

That's not the same as saying there could never be any, but right now it's a pretty lonely and unprofitable gig trying to write AV software for the Mac. There used to be something called Virex but I think they gave up.

I don't know any Mac power users who use AV (except on their Windows partitions). Switch your OSX built-in firewall on and relax. If/when something nasty gets out into the wild and starts affecting OSX, you can be sure you'll hear all about it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• sam_spade 10 Dec 2007 23:38:22 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ClamXav is a free virus checker if you want one.
  • Charroux 16 Oct 2008 16:33:54 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bumpage.

I've just had a discussion with the building manager about AV software. We're now required to have AV protection on every computer connected to the network. I've explained that Macs don't need it, but she was having none of it.

1 - Is it still the case that Macs don't need AV software?
    2 - Does anyone here use it?
    3 - Any recommendations if so?

Cheers
  • pjmaybe 16 Oct 2008 16:35:53 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1 - Pretty much unless you're the sort of paranoid weirdo who firewalls everything up the wazoo

2 - We have a similarly paranoid IT manager here so we use the OSX version of Norton. Which is alright but likes to interfere a bit too much

3 - See above. If you've absolutely positively got to throw money at it, go with something well supported for stuff like this and make the building manager front up the cash
  • ScoutTech 16 Oct 2008 16:37:17 2,423 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last I heard there was some theoretical stuff bouncing around but the advice was to get AV to combat 'scummy' neighbours. If someone sends you an infected macro word document then the macros won't work on you but will still be passed on if you forward it to others, possibly unknown to you. Saves you being accused of sneding virii around
  • otto Moderator 16 Oct 2008 16:38:08 49,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Macs do not require AV and I'm not even aware of one that exists. There used to be one they distributed with .mac (Virex) but they stopped as it just wasted system resources.

Yeah someone will probably get around to writing a virus for the Mac eventually, but they've been saying that for years and it still hasn't happened. /shrug

edit - oh - Norton - ah well there you go! :)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Charroux 16 Oct 2008 16:41:12 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing with the word "Norton" in the name is going anywhere near my computers :/

Thanks for the replies - I'm just going to ignore the building manager I think. She'll have forgotten about it if I lie low :)
  • pjmaybe 16 Oct 2008 16:43:23 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She really does sound like our IT manager. Absolutely 100% convinced that all computers are the same and all are about to be eaten by nasty 2K bugs :)

Basically if she's like our IT bod, just point them at the time machine icon at the top of the screen and tell her that's the realtime virus protection doing its thing.
  • plok 16 Oct 2008 16:44:34 1,296 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Charroux wrote:
    Bumpage.

I've just had a discussion with the building manager about AV software. We're now required to have AV protection on every computer connected to the network. I've explained that Macs don't need it, but she was having none of it.

1 - Is it still the case that Macs don't need AV software?
    2 - Does anyone here use it?
    3 - Any recommendations if so?

Cheers

I always thought that just because aMac is unlikely to get infected you can still email or send virus infected files to other Windows users on a network. So virus scanning is still very important if on a network or sharing files with others.
  • Khanivor 16 Oct 2008 16:46:26 40,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the attitude is "If you're not running OSX then you deserve to get a virus, so fuck em" ;)
  • pjmaybe 16 Oct 2008 16:46:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FWIW it's worth making absolutely damned sure all your macs are nicely security-updated - and doubly so if you regularly use Entourage, which is just as big a gaping wound in a system's security as Outlook is for stuff like mail-borne mailing list targetting trojans etc. Might not affect you but you can be the propagatgor just as easily as an unsecured PC can.
  • Xerx3s 16 Oct 2008 16:50:52 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The chance that you get a virus on a mac is negligible. There just isn't any reason to write one for macs as the figures are negligible.
    Not that I've used anti virus software on my pc for over 8 years though. In the end, it all comes down to the user. If the user is a complete Muppet, all the virus protection in the world will not help you.
  • PinkSpider 16 Oct 2008 16:52:53 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A quick google brought up this. Install and tell them to chillax*.

*ugh.
  • RunningMan 16 Oct 2008 18:19:01 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The mac has VirusBarrierX4. If you don't use the same account as you system administrator then you should be pretty safe. If you are worried about spyware, then macscan is available.
  • Charroux 17 Oct 2008 07:46:26 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's interesting that the ClamXav screenshot only shows it detecting Windows viruses :)

We don't use Entourage - all our email is via Google Apps for Domains (which I thoroughly recommend, by the way), which automatically scans the emails for viruses. Plus I'm not a complete muppet who'll forward any old attachment ;)
  • techierob 17 Oct 2008 08:11:44 336 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    clamav usually gets run on mail servers to detect viruses in the inbound messages, so the virus database itself is platform agnostic. clamxav is just the same software with a fancy gui stuffed on to it and geared more toward desktop use.

chkrootkit would probably be a more sensible security precaution for os-x users. There should be an up-to-date copy in the darwin ports. Putting a precompiled version on a small write-protected SD card to do periodic checks is a worthwhile precaution.
  • ayrtonsenna 17 Oct 2008 09:17:11 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    The chance that you get a virus on a mac is negligible. There just isn't any reason to write one for macs as the figures are negligible.
    Not that I've used anti virus software on my pc for over 8 years though. In the end, it all comes down to the user. If the user is a complete Muppet, all the virus protection in the world will not help you.
    lol on so many levels.
  • nickthegun 17 Oct 2008 09:20:34 59,365 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I include our macs on our Sophos license.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• HitchHiker 17 Oct 2008 09:39:17 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iAntiVirus was on a MacFormat disc a while back. Used it ever since.

Protection against Mac specific threats

The iAntiVirus™ database has been designed from the ground up to detect and remove Mac specific threats. This enables a high level of protection whilst keeping memory footprint and resource usage at a minimum. The iAntiVirus™ database is not cluttered with signatures for Windows specific threats which your Mac is immune against.

So the database is empty then, wondered why it didn't hog any resource :)
  • HitchHiker 17 Oct 2008 10:27:53 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just had a look through the threat list on the iAntiVirus site.

86! Heh.

Most of those are targeting OS Classic too, although there are a few that could hit OS X.

Adware.OSX.Cosmac Adware.OSX.Cosmac is a proof-of-concept adware sample for Mac OS X. This malware can be installed without requiring root privileges and can hook into every application so that everytime the user access these applications, Cosmac will launch the Safari web browser.

Application.OSX.eWatch Application.OSX.eWatch is a keylogger and also a remote access tool designed to remotely monitor users's computer activity. It can capture screenshots, log all users' keystrokes, enumerate all running processess and monitor internet browsing activities.

Application.OSX.KeyloggerX KeyloggerX is freeware keylogger program designed to work in OS X. This application usually arrives as KeyloggerX.dmg.sit (768,805 bytes) which contains the KeyloggerX executable, Disclaimer.rtf and Read Me.rtf. The document explains that this application will create log files in the User Preference folder. However, upon execution this program stays in the background and fails to create the said folder and files.

. . .

There's more but it's not even a drop in the ocean compared to Windows.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next