Best Connection to my TV

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Flying_Pig 9 Dec 2007 13:08:02 10,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What would be the best connection to use to hook up my Wii to my TV? Scart or Component? Is there much difference between the two?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered before.

• Der_tolle_Emil 9 Dec 2007 13:48:45 7,301 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Component. The image quality is definetly better than Scart.
  • thiswaynow 9 Dec 2007 13:52:23 278 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If your TV has Component inputs, that's the best available, if not a Scart lead is the second best.

Either way ditch the Composite cable that comes with the Wii and don't make the mistake of thinking the Scart adapter for the Composite cable is equal to having a proper Scart cable. It isn't, and there's a huge quality improvement even on a CRT TV to go from the bundled cable to a Scart cable (my TV doesn't have Component inputs).
  • Der_tolle_Emil 9 Dec 2007 19:23:46 7,301 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    seanraaron wrote:
    Also worth noting that this topic is raised every couple of weeks...can we get a sticky post for it?

As it's mentioned in every manual of every Wii console and every game and every accessory that component offers the best image quality I think a sticky thread is a bit redundant.
  • Flying_Pig 9 Dec 2007 19:44:09 10,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the pointer.

Apologies for raising an oft-asked question.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 9 Dec 2007 20:14:54 7,301 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Thanks for the pointer.

Apologies for raising an oft-asked question.

Nevermind.

The problem is that there's a bit more to just Scart and Component with the Wii - some VC games might not work with using component cables on your TV, but there is no way to tell. You will know when you get a blank screen when you run a VC game and you have a component cable. So don't just throw away your other cables, you might need them later on.

Also if you use component cables don't forget to switch to 480p (if your TV supports that).
  • hulahoops 9 Dec 2007 21:12:54 2,311 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mario Galaxy looked so awful in composite I couldn't even play it. There's something about native Wii games (as opposed to ports) that causes them to look terrible in composite, at least on my TV.

I was surprised how few places actually stock the cable, but my local importer came up with the goods, and boy is there a difference.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Dec 2007 14:14:31 10,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm, interesting.

With your comments about component, I am erring on the side of SCART - for the additional reason that while my shiny LCD does both SCART and component, but old CRT upstairs only does the former.

Is there much of a difference between the two in terms of output quality?
  • Der_tolle_Emil 10 Dec 2007 14:25:17 7,301 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Hmmm, interesting.

With your comments about component, I am erring on the side of SCART - for the additional reason that while my shiny LCD does both SCART and component, but old CRT upstairs only does the former.

Is there much of a difference between the two in terms of output quality?

On a LCD I would say yes - if only because you can use 480p and you don't have to let the TV de-interlace the signal. Some TVs do a better job than others but using a progressive image is definetly the way to go if possible.

On a CRT it depends; The biggest advantage of component is the support for 480p. While the image might still be sharper and clearer than SCART I don't think you will notice much of a difference on a CRT. I don't have any experience with bigger CRTs (had a 14" CRT for ages and then got a 32" HDTV) so someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but the difference might not be as drastic that it justifies the price of the cable. The official ones are a bit pricey after all.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Dec 2007 17:09:45 10,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks gents

/tips hat
  • kalel 26 Oct 2011 09:30:46 87,583 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mega bump.

Can anyone think of a good reason why something like this is a bad idea?

Short explanation is that it's basically the only way I could get the Wii to work with my current set up. Certainly by far the easiest way if it works.
  • kalel 26 Oct 2011 09:44:28 87,583 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks.

Suddenly Gaf looks quite attractive now btw.
  • Daeltaja 1 Nov 2011 13:47:39 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is there any reason why my Wii looks like a jagged PS1-era game on a new Samsung LED? I'm using a component cable and have it all setup correctly. Seriously, the image quality is way, way sharper on the old CRT downstairs...

I've seen high quality Zelda trailers that look crisp and jaggy-less, how is this achieveable?! I've always had this issue, with the old LCD, now the new LED. How does an old CRT with a SCART cable piss all over the 480p setup? Is it just the way it is or is it actually possible to get a somewhat jaggy-less picture?

I just want to get it sorted by the time Zelda comes around - I've had my fill of fuzzies with Xenoblade.
  • cianchristopher 4 Nov 2011 13:42:18 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just got a new Wii last weekend, at the moment I'm using the bundled composite cable and boy, does it look horrendous on my 40" LCD. Awful.

So, this afternoon I ordered the official component cable from Amazon.co.uk (it was the very last one they had in stock, yay).

So far, I've got Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart.

Now, do they all support 480p? Can anyone confirm?

I ask, because I know that certain Wii games don't, and look like ass no matter what your connection is.

Also, I'm planning to pick up New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 1, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda: Skyward Sword. Anyone know if any of these don't support 480p?

Finally, there are a couple of VC games I'm eyeing up. Namely: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Zelda: Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Any issues with these on component?

Thanks in advance!
  • Deleted user 7 November 2011 21:37:48
    I was watching digital television on an old CRT set on the weekend and maybe my eyes are shit but it looked much nicer than watching digital television on my HD LCD.

Also, the Wii actually looks smooth and colourful on the CRT.

Perhaps if you want to play a non-HD console you're better off using a non-HD television.

Just a shame you can no longer purchaser them!
  • modo_komodo 10 Nov 2011 12:02:24 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm interested in hooking up my Wii to an old PC monitor and to do so I will need to a SCART to VGA adaptor. Does anyone do this and how is it working out?

Edited by modo_komodo at 12:03:02 10-11-2011
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next