Scratch my disk up

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Infradead 9 Dec 2007 13:03:22 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A couple of weeks ago I bought Guitar Hero III and Mass Effect, playing both of them pretty much non-stop... GH had more play time though. Anyway, a few days ago I get a disk read error for GH. Looking at the disk I can see tiny little scratches, only visible in a certain light, running all over the disk. Looking at Mass Effect I can see the same scratches, although there are less of them and I haven't had any problems with that game yet.
    Now, I treat these things like newborn babies, so it must be a console thing. Is this a "send off for repair" scenario? I hope not, the odds of getting it back for christmas and pretty slim.
  • Khab 9 Dec 2007 14:18:34 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you been moving the 360 from a vertical to a horizontal position with the discs in and it running?
  • Syrette 9 Dec 2007 14:57:04 43,238 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smack my bitch up

• RichGL 9 Dec 2007 15:22:52 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wooosh over your head.. erm ..up
  • RichGL 9 Dec 2007 15:53:41 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bitch my smack up.

To answer the op, Microsoft have denied there is any problem with the 360 scratching disks and as such if you actually experience the 360 scratching disks it must be your fault.

Now whether or not you actually did move the 360 while a game is playing is neither here nor there as Microsoft essentially assume this is what you did.

Without actually running a test under strict conditions (with impartial observers in attendance), you also have not got a chance to prove that your 360 actually *is* scratching disks.

Some of my 360 disks have got little scratches on them, this doesn't happen however.

• CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2007 18:39:42 23,778 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But don't they come with a sticker over the drive now saying not to move it when there's a disc inside it? My 2nd 360 came with that.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• johnlenham 9 Dec 2007 18:53:04 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I managed to get my GOW disc swapped when my 360 decided to slice the everloving life out of it. i did point out the scratchs came from the inside of the ring and worked outwards and they swapped it over.

Before hand i did ring MS and they will try to blame it on you saying you moved the 360 like the other said.

Go get them swapped where you bought them (if you can)
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2007 18:57:27 23,778 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My dad knocked my 360 when I was playing PGR3, and a thick ring was cut into the disc right around the centre of it.

I took it to GAME, and the manager asked it I'd moved the 360. Me, being young and foolish, said yes. He said he would replace it as a show of good faith, but only this one time.

Lot of respect for my local GAME store after that! :)

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Infradead 9 Dec 2007 19:57:15 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trust me, I looked into this. Whenever I moved the console I made sure to take whatever was in it out first. I was laying it horizontally but since this happened I tried standing it vertically and the error has been coming in less frequently.
    Microsoft = Liars, I encase these damn things in silk when I'm not using them.
  • nickthegun 9 Dec 2007 20:15:28 59,366 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    My dad knocked my 360 when I was playing PGR3, and a thick ring was cut into the disc right around the centre of it.

I took it to GAME, and the manager asked it I'd moved the 360. Me, being young and foolish, said yes. He said he would replace it as a show of good faith, but only this one time.

Lot of respect for my local GAME store after that! :)

Its also worth mentioning that its worth checking the pre-owned disc before you put in your pin number.

Ive seen a few manky discs, but I went through 3 copies of Orange Box yesterday, all with the feint circular scratch running around the disk, near the center.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• DFective 9 Dec 2007 20:21:27 2,013 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This happened to me on Assassin's Creed earlier. Have had it happen before too. Was going to send it off for repair after finishing GHIII but now that I know they deny any problems on the part of the 360 there's really fuck all I can do isn't there :) It's two years old now (launch model) so the shop won't exchange it. And the only time I even touch my 360 is to take the disk out.

Have already had to send off my Halo 3 disc after that stopped working and haven't got it back yet, only sent it off earlier this week though.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next