Just quit smoking... Page 19

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Fab4 15 Jan 2014 17:24:05 5,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought I had no will-power too, but that Allen Carr book took me from nearly 2 packs a day to zero.
  • Steve_Perry 15 Jan 2014 17:26:16 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I watched a video with Allen Carr in it and he basically said that all NRT is bull shit and actually aggravates your problem. I disagree with him on that, patches worked for me before, I was just stupid enough to think I could have one more smoke, albeit after 3 years.

What's the general gist of his books etc? I'm interested.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Fab4 15 Jan 2014 17:30:51 5,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its basically repetitive suggestion. He repeats a simple message over and over again, saying that you had a life before cigs, they don't offer you anything beneficial and you can live without them.

You can see the process as you are reading (while smoking if you like) and you think "Aye...fucking no chance this will work", but somehow it just did for me. I think it was a combination f wanting to quit and being open to the suggestion.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Jan 2014 13:26:59 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I see. I think the desire to quit is the magic ingredient however you want to do it. If you aren't ready and willing to give it a good shot you basically have no chance.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• smoothpete 16 Jan 2014 13:40:19 31,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Champix really worked for me. I also found the weekly clinic thing helpful. I'm pretty sure Champix is what has caused the alopecia i now have in my beard but I can live with it
  • kalel 16 Jan 2014 13:40:27 86,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I see. I think the desire to quit is the magic ingredient however you want to do it. If you aren't ready and willing to give it a good shot you basically have no chance.
    Absolutely. It really has to be quite a strong desire as well.

Once you have it though, giving up is actually relatively straight forward in my experience. It's just like getting over any other illness. You just have belief the shittiness will pass and you see it through.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Jan 2014 13:45:29 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup. As I said on here I was clawing my fucking eyeballs out yesterday morning but I actually feel fine today. I'm going to stay on the patches for a full 3 months regardless because I know it only takes one bad day before you are chuffing away again. They really work for me but I know other people who have said they did nothing, but I always got the impression they were never ready to quit in the first place.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Mola_Ram 16 Jan 2014 13:49:48 7,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Around this time of year you get people who have made NY resolutions, giving up said resolutions. I've never really believed in the things myself - seems that people make them because they feel obliged, not because they really want to change.
  • smoothpete 16 Jan 2014 13:51:48 31,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sounds a but trite but I think you have to make the decision to stop.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Jan 2014 13:55:10 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My main motivation this time is money more than anything. I simply can't justify spending the amount I do on it. Even with rolling tobacco I probably spend a grand a year on it which is fucking bonkers. If I had never smoked I could have paid a deposit on a house, bought a car, had 10 holidays, not worked for 6 months etc. All sounds beautiful in hindsight but the sentiment remains the same. It's just a complete waste of cash.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 13:56:04 27,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah 2 years off them without any help. As you say, its all just about making a decision to stop. Once I did it was pretty easy (except for the anger and hatred that still lingers to this day). If you kind of just sort of want to stop there's no point even trying.

I could still quite happily have one now though, the sexy little bastards.

Hush you ponce

• Load_2.0 16 Jan 2014 13:57:03 19,104 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smoking makes me more handsome.
  • Angry_Man_Dan 16 Jan 2014 14:01:57 165 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    18 months, more or less. The first two weeks were an absolute bastard and I was a complete twat to be around, then it got a lot easier. No patches or anything like that, just cold turkey. I did put just under two stone on within about 7-8 months (now lost again), as my appetite went through the roof.

Now the thought of smoking repulses me - quitting (for yourself, never mind anyone else) is the best thing you'll ever do.

PSN / NNID -Angry_Man_Dan

• kalel 16 Jan 2014 14:03:51 86,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    It sounds a but trite but I think you have to make the decision to stop.
    Absolutely.

One of my first jobs was for the NHS helping them develop a new brand for giving up smoking (which became the Smokefree brand). The whole strategy was routed in the insight that the language around "giving up" or "quitting" was detrimental, in that psychologically you're always in the process of stopping smoking, as opposed to actually having stopped.

The idea behind "Smokefree" was that rather than being in a process, the moment you go Smokefree you have stopped smoking, and then it's all about managing what that means for you. Also it was positive language, so you've gained something, as opposed to "giving up" something etc etc blah blah.
  • quadfather 16 Jan 2014 14:04:36 11,973 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I managed 3 months after reading the Allen Kerr book but foolishly had one which resulted in smoking again.

It probably isnt for everyone but that book really helped me realise that I dont like smoking and get zero out of it.

Even now when I have a cigarette I'm reminded eaxh time that I dont actually enjoy the experience at all. That really stuck with me from the book.

He says at one point, "you've never enjoyed any cigarette in your life, all you get is partial relief of temporarily feeding the addiction" or words to that effect.

People will defend that they enjoy them but considering the amount of psychology involved, I'm really not so sure

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 14:05:36 27,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still get the odd craving for one when I've had a drink. And this is making me want one a bit as well.

Hush you ponce

• Steve_Perry 16 Jan 2014 14:07:33 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Kalel - As a copywriter I can see why that would be a sensible decision and the last time I quit was with NHS help (free patches and a weekly chat), so perhaps I have you to thank for that!

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 16 Jan 2014 14:07:45 59,340 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used aversion therapy. Went out one night and got as wrecked as I ever have done and smoked about 60 B&H. Woke up the next morning with the worst hangover i ever had and a mouth that felt like I had skinned up and smoked the contents of half a dozen ashtrays.

I couldnt face a cigarette for a week and then decided to keep it going.

By far and away the hardest thing was that I gave up before the smoking ban came in, so I was always in smokey pubs, getting offered fags by my mates who forgot I had given up and so on.

I think, if nothing else, the smoking ban has made it a lot easier for people to give up.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 14:11:53 27,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I think I'd still be smoking now if it wasn't banned in pubs. Although 60 Benson and Hedges in a night would probably do it as well. You can actually feel yourself getting cancer with a B&H

Hush you ponce

• kalel 16 Jan 2014 14:13:34 86,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I imagine people who smoke probably smoke less as well. I used to just chain in pubs and clubs.
  • Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 14:14:48 27,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah it was fucking great.

Hush you ponce

• quadfather 16 Jan 2014 14:15:50 11,973 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I notice that my tobacco goes a lot further than it used to do. The weather helps slow you down too especially at the pub where you have to stand in the pissing rain to smoke something that does fuck all except knacker you and make you skint. Genius.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• kalel 16 Jan 2014 14:17:15 86,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Yeah. I've sort of got used to pubs without it, but even as a non smoker I'd still prefer smoking to be allowed in clubs. They're just wrong now.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Jan 2014 14:17:28 3,835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    60 B&H! That's going out with a bang. You must have been yellow the next day Nick.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 14:22:39 27,583 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Yeah. I've sort of got used to pubs without it, but even as a non smoker I'd still prefer smoking to be allowed in clubs. They're just wrong now.
    It doesn't help that the smoke was masking the smell of piss and shit in most clubs. Luckily my clubbing days are all but over now.

Hush you ponce

• Load_2.0 16 Jan 2014 14:23:10 19,104 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The smoking ban has genuinely been a boon to chatting to the ladeez.
  • gamingdave 16 Jan 2014 14:25:15 4,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As others have said giving up requires you REALLY wanting too. Just thinking you should for the kids, money, your health or any other reason never worked for me no matter how much I thought I was doing it for the right reasons. I got to 3 months or a little longer several times with different methods but always ended up back on the fags.

The little NiQuitin lozenges worked best for me, but I also tried gum and patches, along with will power. I once tried reading the Allen Carr book, but there was (in my mind at least) some dodgy logic at play and I couldn't agree with it, even if it was trying to help me.

I accepted the fact I like smoking. I like nicotine, I like the inhale and exhale. I switched to vaping 20 months ago and it's been superb. Not had cravings for fags at all, saved loads of money (though spent a fair bit on shiny gadgets), my health is better, and I don't smell too the wife.
  • smoothpete 16 Jan 2014 14:27:20 31,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In my teens I used to steal the odd B&H off my mum, then take it apart and smoke it bit by bit in a bong.
  • smoothpete 16 Jan 2014 14:32:51 31,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a wonder I'm not dead already tbh
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2014 14:33:03 59,340 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    60 B&H! That's going out with a bang. You must have been yellow the next day Nick.
    I probably crashed a load out but, yeah, it was a pretty heroic session. It was at some shitty place like Berlins where they were doing a bottle of becks and a shot for 1.50 or something ridiculous. Probably spent more on fags than booze.

EDIT: Revolution, I think Berlins was a long distant memory by then.

Edited by nickthegun at 14:33:56 16-01-2014

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 21 First / Last