of 21 First / Last

• JediMasterMalik 5 Dec 2007 00:17:21 11,820 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smoking's not addictive, NO SIR!
  • JayPee 5 Dec 2007 00:22:35 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a non-smoker the worst thing in the world I could do is to post in this thread.

I do seem to have a habit of dating smokers though, which is weird, as it's a habit that bothers me. Actually, it's smokers who are perpetually "quitting" that bother me. They make a huge fuss of it and give up giving up every time - that is annoying. Better a "I'm a smoker, live with it" than a "be nice, I'm quitting. Oh I started again. Help me, I'm quitting. Oh I'm too stressed right now, so I'm smoking again".

Please don't turn into one of those people. If you decide to quit, please follow through.
  • Stickman 5 Dec 2007 00:27:19 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd recommend Alan Carr's book. Not the camp """comedian""", but the poor man's Paul McKenna. It might well just be a crutch, but it turned out to be the crutch I needed to help me quit in the end after many aborted attempts.

Just try and ignore the fact that he died of lung cancer recently.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• ecu 5 Dec 2007 00:27:32 77,028 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    As a non-smoker the worst thing in the world I could do is to post in this thread.

I do seem to have a habit of dating smokers though, which is weird, as it's a habit that bothers me. Actually, it's smokers who are perpetually "quitting" that bother me. They make a huge fuss of it and give up giving up every time - that is annoying. Better a "I'm a smoker, live with it" than a "be nice, I'm quitting. Oh I started again. Help me, I'm quitting. Oh I'm too stressed right now, so I'm smoking again".

Please don't turn into one of those people. If you decide to quit, please follow through.

The worst one is "I've just quit, so this gives me an excuse to act like a cunt to everybody"
  • ecu 5 Dec 2007 00:29:29 77,028 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I'd recommend Alan Carr's book. Not the camp """comedian""", but the poor man's Paul McKenna. It might well just be a crutch, but it turned out to be the crutch I needed to help me quit in the end after many aborted attempts.

I don't quite get this either, because I've not seen ONE person able to successfully spell "Allen Carr" despite half of them claiming to have read all his books. There'd be no confusion with the camp comedian because their names are actually spelt differently!
  • JayPee 5 Dec 2007 00:29:37 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    The worst one is "I've just quit, so this gives me an excuse to act like a cunt to everybody"
    This would be OK, as long as they didn't re-neg on the quitting, thus making being a cunt completely pointless and annoying. Trouble is, most people seem to quit a lot more than once!
  • Jason22 5 Dec 2007 00:39:35 2 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good luck with it - once you really want to do it.

I was one of those anti-smoking pains when I was younger and used to have a go at people for smoking. 2 years ago Iage 20 I started going out with a girl who smoked and told her I wanted her to give up. What happened? I started having the odd one with her and then smoking properly myself. She did give up but I'm still smoking.
  • Stickman 5 Dec 2007 01:00:17 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Stickman wrote:

I don't quite get this either, because I've not seen ONE person able to successfully spell "Allen Carr" despite half of them claiming to have read all his books. There'd be no confusion with the camp comedian because their names are actually spelt differently!

Yes, it's hard to imagine how Allen Carr and Alan Carr could ever be confused. Damn! If only I'd spent more time on that front cover.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• catterz 5 Dec 2007 01:24:44 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had a cold for five days and haven't had a cigarette for the last two of them. I feel... fine. I'm not craving at all so i may as well give up. Guess i'll see how i handle work first though. Smoking was always a great tension reliever, especially with the stress i get at work.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• markypants 5 Dec 2007 08:48:37 2,733 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the strangest thing for me is that I look back on the last cigarette I had (Early March) and remember the moment I said to myself "this is my last cigarette". I then put it out on the street and that was that. I hadn't planned on quitting and hadn't been thinking about it for months. But I knew, deep down inside, that it was time to stop.

I think that sudden and 100% committed decision was the defining moment. I'm actually am very proud of myself for quitting, and every day when I play my piano (David Bowie - Life On Mars today!) I do thank those little cancer sticks for pushing me into spending my hard earned cash on something more useful.
  • StringBeanJean 5 Dec 2007 11:33:30 1,777 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm gonna quit when I'm 30 and I've said that since I was 18. I'm 25 now so few more years yet.

I think you're allowed to do stupid things in your twenties, plus by then my natural fitness will have declined and I'll be struggling to run for a bus or something.

But god knows I love smoking and I think it'll be really difficult.
  • nickthegun 5 Dec 2007 11:37:14 60,491 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found the hardest thing about quitting smoking was going to the pub with my mates and them all forgetting and offering me a fag.

Sat in a group of 8 people when at least half of them smoke is quite difficult. I suppose that would be easier now.

I managed to give up thanks to pavlovian conditioning. I went to a nightclub where they were doing a bottle of Becks and a double vodka for 1.50. I got hammered and smoked at least 60 fags that night.

I woke up in the morning and felt like I had been smoking nuclear waste. Couldnt put a filter to my lips for ages and then I thought I might as well keep on keeping on.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Altmayer 5 Dec 2007 12:22:01 182 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You quit smoking!?

Judas!
  • Youthist 5 Dec 2007 12:37:31 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext does make me laugh. He has an excuse / "reasoned argument" for taking part in all lifes vices as if anyone is silly to question the long term effects on any of them. He is immune, he is superman, isn't he?!
    He can run marathons, and yet he can smoke non stop, and is fitter than anyone else around. He doesnt need to quit. And people get cancer whether they smoke or not so why not just smoke!

Perfect and Priceless.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Psychotext 5 Dec 2007 12:42:32 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Psychotext does make me laugh. He has an excuse / "reasoned argument" for taking part in all lifes vices as if anyone is silly to question the long term effects on any of them. He is immune, he is superman, isn't he?!
    He can run marathons, and yet he can smoke non stop, and is fitter than anyone else around. He doesnt need to quit. And people get cancer whether they smoke or not so why not just smoke!
    Yeah... because that's exactly how I think. Obviously smoking is bad for you, but that doesn't mean everyone who smokes gets cancer or ends up not being able to breathe etc etc. It's stupid to make generalisations like that.

For the record I think everyone should give up smoking... but that doesn't mean I agree with people being up their own ass toward smokers either. Especially giving shit to someone who's actually trying to quit.
  • LeoliansBro 5 Dec 2007 14:46:36 44,508 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't smoke and don't want to. I would in no way presume to tell you what to do though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• wobbler147 1 Jan 2008 19:44:52 5,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1 day down, The rest of my life to go :(
  • Red-Moose 1 Jan 2008 21:44:52 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wobbler147 wrote:
    1 day down, The rest of my life to go :(

Are you going to get a Choose Life shirt and start singing Wake Me Up Before You Go Go as well?
  • wuztrino 2 Jan 2008 07:50:14 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've tried quitting smoking as well recently, only problem is with the patchs, they seem to mess me up for a few days, make it really hard to breath, constant coughing and occasionlly being sick cos of the coughing. Makes it alot harder to quit when the effects of the patches are worse than the effects of smoking.... at least i didnt smell though.
  • Red-Moose 2 Jan 2008 08:13:38 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wuztrino wrote:
    I've tried quitting smoking as well recently, only problem is with the patchs, they seem to mess me up for a few days, make it really hard to breath, constant coughing and occasionlly being sick cos of the coughing. Makes it alot harder to quit when the effects of the patches are worse than the effects of smoking.... at least i didnt smell though.

That's actually the effect of not smoking on your lungs as they try and clear all the crap out - nothing to do with the patches.

It should only take a week at most of bad coughing, etc., and then you'll feel a lot better.
  • wuztrino 2 Jan 2008 08:26:45 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing is though if I do use a patch it generally means i won't be able to go to work cos i can't breath at all and people complain if i sit there coughing my guts up all day, it's a no-win situation for me.

Only thing i could do is possibly try the nasel spray as i'm steering well clear of the gum as it is supposed to taste pretty rancid.
  • sailesh 2 Jan 2008 08:33:23 591 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought I was on a roll, from the 23rd Dec until this morning I hadn't had a cigarette. But as I was driving into work this morning, instant flashes of boredom and dread occured in my mind. So as I left the car I naturally headed for the fag shelter. :-/

I now remember why I smoke.

Fookin' work :(

Work http://www.sailesh-online.com | Play http://saileshcreates.tumblr.com

• estoo 2 Jan 2008 08:53:26 2,834 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember when I gave up the worst things were all these adverts telling you how bad it was for you.

You could be sitting there for a couple of hour, not even thinking about a ciggy then on comes the ad: "Smoking will make your dick fall off" and then I'm thinking of fags again. Mmmmm.... lovely impotence causing fags....

The gum made me worse too.. just kept making me think of fags. Cold Turkey ftw.
  • wuztrino 2 Jan 2008 08:58:26 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm thinking that cold Turkey is definately the way forward, but as the previous poster says, t.v doesn't help at all when you see someone sparking up in Eastenders.. damn you Dot Cotton and your constant chain smoking!

Plus trying to kick an addiction to marijuana at the same time makes things increasingly hard. Need to replace it with something else, although boredom outside of work tends to get the better of me.
  • wobbler147 3 Jan 2008 10:05:02 5,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3 days in and after 2 days of it not bothering me, the craving is back with a vengance :( Any tips please?
  • wuztrino 3 Jan 2008 10:53:25 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've taken up chewing my pens to shreds, i think it is effective and also cheaper than patchs and gum etc....
  • sickpuppysoftware 3 Jan 2008 11:31:41 1,335 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gave up just before Christmas as I knew I'd be at home and able to distract myself. Apart from leaping from happy to murderous in the blink of an eye it was going fine.

Now I'm stuck back at work, simultaneously stressed and bored, and I've managed to eat my lunch 2 hours early, I've chewed my fingernails off and I'm about to start chewing the furniture.

Looks like I gave up the wrong thing.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• UncleLou Moderator 3 Jan 2008 11:35:47 35,718 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't smoked for a couple of days due to a bad cold, and there's a smoking ban here now in restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. since January 1. Might as well quit.
  • Ginger 3 Jan 2008 11:42:07 6,877 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Looks like I gave up the wrong thing.
    Try giving up work then and you won't have any money for fags :)

I gave up three years ago now and it's the best thing I ever did. Just went cold turkey at new year and didn't look back. it's not easy, but the cravings come in waves, so once you're over one set you can settle down again.

One tip I got told was to have a sip of water whenever you get a craving. Seemed to work ok for me :)

London open taekwondo champion

• Page

of 21 First / Last