Just quit smoking...

  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

    Previous
  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 20:01:26 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...

    Anybody here been or are in the same boat? Surely some of you guys mustīve tried to quit at one point or the other...
  • Deleted user 4 December 2007 20:02:55
    Yeah I know exactly how you feel. Can't help you with any advice on how to get through it though.

    /goes off for a smoke
  • MetalDog 4 Dec 2007 20:03:13 23,697 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quit for a month once. After I came within a hair-width of sticking an axe in someone's skull, I started again, for the good of humanity.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • bauhaus 4 Dec 2007 20:09:28 3,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i gave up

    its only grim for the first week, then you start getting the benefits

    soon you`ll be a Smoking Nazi


    /rolls 8th spliff of the day
  • Deleted user 4 December 2007 20:09:54
    Think of how shit your insides must look because of all the poison you're giving it.

    EDIT: That or get yourself addicted to something else. Like cleaning, or going to gym or pornography.
  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 20:10:23 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I quit for a month once. After I came within a hair-width of sticking an axe in someone's skull, I started again, for the good of humanity.

    Hehe... I feel that I might freak out on someone at some point... Iīm on my first week now. So it doesnīt get any easier with time? Or quite the contrary?
  • MetalDog 4 Dec 2007 20:11:34 23,697 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Varies from person to person. I was still demonically angry after a month, but it was a particularly shite section of life I was trying to give up in, maybe it'd be easier now.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • elredeyegrande 4 Dec 2007 20:13:16 2,382 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    insert obligatory "I'd give up smoking if I knew I wouldn't become one of you" Bill hicks quote here

  • glo 4 Dec 2007 20:25:35 3,425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have pretty much stopped after 20 years of smoking this year. I still have the occasional cigarette socially (about once every 2-4 weeks) but considering I smoked every day of my life my 18 to 38 I think I am doing well.

    The initial anger and frustration does lessen over time. Try distracting yourself with something and the cravings do pass surprisingly quickly. They do recur very frequently for the first month or so I found though. I was absolutely furious with every one and every thing in the world for a large portion of the first few weeks. When the nicotine rage flares up try taking a deep breath and most of the time you will calm down.

    If its any consolation I am finding it easier and easier as time goes on though I still have the occasional craving.
  • Jmek 4 Dec 2007 20:39:02 1,329 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best of luck man. I too have tried to give up over the years and each time my urge to kill has shot off the scale.
  • MetalDog 4 Dec 2007 20:43:02 23,697 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Something tells me Narcissus needs a fag.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 20:45:41 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NarcissusRedux wrote:
    ShogunAssassin wrote:
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...
    Jesus, you were weak to take it up in the first place, now you're weak, whiney and neurotic in your attempts to quit.

    Is retaining the ability to surmount a small flight of stairs important to you? Do you want to be diagnosed with lung cancer in your mid-40's which, even if swiftly treated, will give you a mere 14% chance of remaining alive for five years? Yep, despite all our wonderful medical science, 86% of lung cancer "victims" die within 60 months of their diagnosis.

    And those aren't a pleasant bunch of months, bud. It'll be like your smoking years in reverse, but sped up, as your dying body desperately ejects entire mounds of tar through your trachea and out of your mouth. MmMm, delish...

    You dashing, attractive figure with a fag hanging out of your mouth, you. Hard to believe people will one day see you in your sick-bed and mistake you for an AIDS patient. Uh-huh. Hard to believe that your friends and relatives will deep down hate you, and posthumously write you off as an idiot who destroyed his own body and died a pathetic, wretched death for no reason.

    Or, alternatively, you could STFU and stay the course. Should you relapse, should you fall, then you will have proven yourself not only unworthy of life, but entirely deserving of horrible, foolish death.

    I guess youīve never been a smoker, so you canīt relate.

    Yes, I know that itīs fucking unhealthy to smoke, why the hell do you think Iīm trying to quit? The fact that it kills doesnīt make it any easier to quit. Nicotine is the most addictive "drug" in the world.

    Oh, and by the way, fuck off, condescending prick.
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2007 20:49:29 54,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NarcissusRedux wrote:
    Is retaining the ability to surmount a small flight of stairs important to you? Do you want to be diagnosed with lung cancer in your mid-40's which, even if swiftly treated, will give you a mere 14% chance of remaining alive for five years? Yep, despite all our wonderful medical science, 86% of lung cancer "victims" die within 60 months of their diagnosis.
    I smoke, and I'd wager I'm fitter than you. Not all of us have trouble breathing you know... I can still cycle all day without stopping and while I haven't done any marathons in a while (dodgy knee) I doubt it would be an issue either. Oh, and bad news, you have a 1/3 chance of developing cancer if you smoke or not.

    Good luck with your quitting though SA. Don't let dickheads like NarcissusRedux get to you.
  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 20:54:53 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hehe, thanks man...
  • Red-Moose 4 Dec 2007 21:05:19 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ShogunAssassin wrote:
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...

    Anybody here been or are in the same boat? Surely some of you guys mustīve tried to quit at one point or the other...


    Has it occurred to you that being aggravated, irritable or depressed can be signs of nicotine dependence?
  • urban 4 Dec 2007 21:12:20 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ShogunAssassin wrote:
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...

    Anybody here been or are in the same boat? Surely some of you guys mustīve tried to quit at one point or the other...

    BOO!
  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 21:15:29 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    ShogunAssassin wrote:
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...

    Anybody here been or are in the same boat? Surely some of you guys mustīve tried to quit at one point or the other...


    Has it occurred to you that being aggravated, irritable or depressed can be signs of nicotine dependence?

    Well, yeah, thatīs kinda the point... ahem...
  • TakeTheVeil 4 Dec 2007 21:17:05 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    my eyelid has been twitching a lot lately.. i should probably start smoking soon.. plus i'll look like a real mo-vie star
  • SirScratchalot 4 Dec 2007 21:18:00 7,874 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ShogunAssassin wrote:
    ...and itīs killing me. I get easily aggravated and extremely irritable. I alos get slightly depressed. Now I donīt have a way to cope with stress anymore... Itīs ok when there's nothing bothering me, but as soon as something comes up, I feel the craving instantly.... Fuck it, Iīm bitching now...

    Anybody here been or are in the same boat? Surely some of you guys mustīve tried to quit at one point or the other...

    I live in Sweden so I could send you snus, much easier and nicer way to get your nicotin on... eh? eh?
  • BanjoMan 4 Dec 2007 21:25:47 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gave up just over two years ago. I've caved in on two occasions, but generally when you get past a few months it gets really easy. The first few weeks are a killer though - if you're determined enough you'll tough it out.

    Use the patches, but cut them in half and don't wear them all the time.

    PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

  • Red-Moose 4 Dec 2007 21:39:09 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ShogunAssassin wrote:

    Well, yeah, thatīs kinda the point... ahem...

    Okay, but I was thinking that you don't get those things really, it's just a sign of nicotine peaks and troughs and withdrawals.

    After you are off them a few weeks, you'll probably be a lot calmer. Nicotine = worsens stress.
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2007 21:45:41 54,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    After you are off them a few weeks, you'll probably be a lot calmer. Nicotine = worsens stress.
    Only if you can't smoke as much as you'd like. :p
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Dec 2007 21:48:04 24,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe no nicotine binds to haemoglobbin on your red blood cells, blocking the points where oxygen needs to bind. As a result your heart needs to beat faster to get the same amount of oxygen round your body as it would do if you weren't smoking at all :)

    Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

  • markypants 4 Dec 2007 21:53:14 2,703 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best decision you'll ever make.

    I quite in March and immediately bought myself a Ģ2500 piano. I pay off the piano with the money I would have spent on cigarettes (which amounts to about Ģ50 a month... I've got a way to go yet).

    I feel better for quitting. It was tough for a while, but then I knew it would be. I turned it into a competition with myself, a chance to stop doing something that I knew deep down inside was stupid.

    Plus points (besides not smelling, tasting things again, feeling generally healthy) are that you have no where near the same terrible hangovers. I never realised how much my smoking gave me an even worse hangover.

    Be warned though you DO become a smoking Nazi. I fucking hate the smell of other people smoking.
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2007 22:27:36 54,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    markypants wrote:
    Be warned though you DO become a smoking Nazi. I fucking hate the smell of other people smoking.
    That's not actually true, I know plenty of ex smokers who aren't convicted ex smokers. =)
  • ShogunAssassin 4 Dec 2007 22:28:26 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, focusing on the things I can buy for my money instead of smoking helps a bit... But I wasnīt sure about the effect it had on hangovers, thought it was just a myth... But I guess Iīll find out if a pattern emerges over the next few weekends...

    edit: @ markypants
  • slinkiebinkie 4 Dec 2007 23:40:11 10 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gave up smoking nearly four years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. I had been smoking for nearly twenty years, although not heavily, and was starting to feel the effects and got scared. So I stopped and it was relatively easy because - and this is the only way to give up -I really really wanted to kick it . I had tried in the past but failed after varying lenghts of time because it felt like a sacrifice - like I was missing out on something that I needed and enjoyed. And telling yourself that you can never ever have a cig again in the pub or whatever seems impossible.

    Its only later - after a few weeks of getting used to not having a cig with a drink or any of those other habitual smoking times that I realised that I didn't really like it - it was the nicotine's way of keeping me hooked and b) I certainly didn't need it - it doesn't make life any easier or problems any easier to deal with. It's just self delusion to enable you to carry on doing something because you think you want to and your life is somehow better with it. Its only difficult for a few weeks then you start to forget.

    I am a smoking nazi now (and very pleased with myself about it too!) but I remember the mental trap that I was in and how the only way to get out is to want to.

    Good Luck.
  • WrongShui 4 Dec 2007 23:46:43 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quit smoking cold turkey, what your feeling will last about a week.

    Its the easy part, its breaking the routines that is hard.
  • Psychotext 5 Dec 2007 00:13:05 54,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    Its the easy part, its breaking the routines that is hard.
    That's very true. I quit a few years back, and it was pretty damn easy for a while until one morning while gulping down my coffee I reached for my friends pack of smokes and lit up before I'd even realised what I was doing.

    That was one overpowering nicotine / caffeine rush I can tell you! Still, it was encouraging to know that it's mostly to do with changing my routines on a longer term basis if I want to do it again.

    [Edit - that's not saying it's easy for anyone, obviously it's not. It's just that when I'm busy I can go a day without smoking and not realise... when I'm bored or distracted I generally smoke like a trooper]
  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply